Outdoor grow in Southeast Michigan 2024

• Thread starter cpurola
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

You know, Cpurrr! The most awesome part of this thread is the fact that you don’t even smoke the stuff! And you have enough sleep aids to last you 10 years! You’re doing it for the love of the plant and the challenge! Growing in its purest form! In my book that means a lot! You go, girl!!!
Say what now?

🫢🤣

We need more people like you @cpurola
Okay, @Oldchucky I went and did it again.
I had an unoccupied plot of ground and I had plants who needed to go into ground and voila. 😁
And no, I have no idea how I'm going to manage ALL these plants. LOL
BTW, there are 18. Oh, and the greenery is chamomile volunteers from last year.
Beneficials love it, so it stays.

View attachment 2177299
💚💚

Nice little patch ya got there. Def get a lot more direct hours then mine does lol.

If you got the gravely/sandy soil like out around the area between flint and Saginaw, your def gonna wanna feed them through veg pretty good. But come flower the soils around there seem to do great first couple seasons for flower development for my cousins 🤙 If its the more clay rich silty soil like northern ohio and indiana, youll prob wanna feed relatively heavy and fairly often.

Last edited:
cpurola

cpurola

Yes! I have totally lost it. LOL
Actually, I'd like to call it an EXPERIMENT!
Similar plants,(not clones) in different soil.
First set of plants in rich, amended soil.
Second set of plants in sod, nothing added to lighten it. Dirt under sod is fair, subsoil is clay.
Of course they will be treated the same above ground, water, sprays, etc.
Should be interesting.....

TreeBee

TreeBee

Yes! I have totally lost it. LOL
Actually, I'd like to call it an EXPERIMENT!
Similar plants,(not clones) in different soil.
First set of plants in rich, amended soil.
Second set of plants in sod, nothing added to lighten it. Dirt under sod is fair, subsoil is clay.
Of course they will be treated the same above ground, water, sprays, etc.
Should be interesting.....
Oh thats neat I will be awaiting the results!

cpurola

cpurola

Say what now?

🫢🤣

We need more people like you @cpurola

💚💚

Nice little patch ya got there. Def get a lot more direct hours then mine does lol.

If you got the gravely/sandy soil like out around the area between flint and Saginaw, your def gonna wanna feed them through veg pretty good. But come flower the soils around there seem to do great first couple seasons for flower development for my cousins 🤙 If its the more clay rich silty soil like northern ohio and indiana, youll prob wanna feed relatively heavy and fairly often.
Thanks much.
We have the red clay up here, not as red as in the south, but hard as rocks. Oh, and we have a working gravel pit 4 miles down the road.
Hence the boxes, and fill dirt. I haven't settled on a feed schedule yet, but I plan on using Megacrop.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thanks much.
We have the red clay up here, not as red as in the south, but hard as rocks. Oh, and we have a working gravel pit 4 miles down the road.
Hence the boxes, and fill dirt. I haven't settled on a feed schedule yet, but I plan on using Megacrop.
Ok, so a solid "both/and" then lol. Interesting.

Get close to lake huron and the soil starts to get sandy and soft, and the clay content drops a lot but the gravel stays. Drains really well and supports flower production really well. My cousins live just outside Saginaw and they plant direct in ground without amending there. They feed through veg but barely have to touch em in flower.

My other cousins south of Flint. Feeding and amending is a good bit more important lol

cpurola

cpurola

Ok, so a solid "both/and" then lol. Interesting.

Get close to lake huron and the soil starts to get sandy and soft, and the clay content drops a lot but the gravel stays. Drains really well and supports flower production really well. My cousins live just outside Saginaw and they plant direct in ground without amending there. They feed through veg but barely have to touch em in flower.

My other cousins south of Flint. Feeding and amending is a good bit more important lol
Our soil has enough clay to almost not perk. They checked it 3 places on our 150 by 600 foot strip of land and 'allowed' us to put in a septic system. The guy who installed it recommended more gravel, so we did that. NOW I'm getting nervous 'cause it's going on 40 years old and it's not supposed to last more than 30....

Itscheese94

Itscheese94

Leaves and weeds as well. Hell we compost all table scraps except meats and dairy. Just this morning I use soil from a box that was used for 2 years to compost in
View attachment 2176458
to transplant this Thyme plant
View attachment 2176457
in the box next to it, that was used to compost horse manure and weeds. I've got old shower doors that I can cover the boxes with and break down any organic material quick.

I throw all garden cuttings/clippings in with the table scraps, usually to help control the smell and it has been making me some pretty sweet soil/mulch and I don't water it down and stir I just allow nature to take its course.

All outdoor growers should be doing something similar😉
good stuff buddy, yeh ill try it out im forever trashing leafs and stuff.👍

cpurola

cpurola

You know, Cpurrr! The most awesome part of this thread is the fact that you don’t even smoke the stuff! And you have enough sleep aids to last you 10 years! You’re doing it for the love of the plant and the challenge! Growing in its purest form! In my book that means a lot! You go, girl!!!
They are fascinating! And I've always loved to grow things. It's such a miracle what can develop from a tiny hard thing. I'm in awe.
And the by products are fun too! LOL
But I really need to get rid of the rest BEFORE transplanting my Autos. They get the space on the patio.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Our soil has enough clay to almost not perk. They checked it 3 places on our 150 by 600 foot strip of land and 'allowed' us to put in a septic system. The guy who installed it recommended more gravel, so we did that. NOW I'm getting nervous 'cause it's going on 40 years old and it's not supposed to last more than 30....
Hope it lasts one day longer than you do!😅

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

My mom just recently had her septic pumped because it hadnt been touched in 16 years. it's close t0 50 years old. Even the old cistern still functions properly. It was supposed to be a 30 year setup too.

It wasn't even half full, but also no sign of ruptures in the main body of the tank, and the field drains are functioning properly. Septic service went in expecting ruptured tank walls and roots and stuff. Was totally fine. If your septic is colonized by the right bacterias, it almost never needs pumping and the walls of the tank wont really break down. Ymmv. Estimated life probably takes into account the average family size of like 4.5 during that time period.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I’ve got a brick line cesspool type set up with a wooden top on it. Probably 10 foot diameter put in probably back in the 30s! 20 years so far with no pumping or problems but sooner or later it will cave-in! It’s covered with lawn! I don’t have the guts to take the Riding mower over it! I mow it by hand! L O L

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

I’ve got a brick line cesspool type set up with a wooden top on it. Probably 10 foot diameter put in probably back in the 30s! 20 years so far with no pumping or problems but sooner or later it will cave-in! It’s covered with lawn! I don’t have the guts to take the Riding mower over it! I mow it by hand! L O L
This has me thinking, i dont actually even know where my own septic tank is. Ive only lived here since February.

Has me wondering how old it is, and what its condition is, because my well water is def colonized by anaerobes. I have to peroxide it to precipitate hydrogen sulfide out of the water as particulate sulfur, even after RO filtration to be able to use it on container bound plants lmfao.

Like2Grow

Like2Grow

Hope it lasts one day longer than you do!😅

Toilethumor1

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Oh, no! You must never lick the bowl in the kitchen! It contains raw eggs! You might get, Sammynella! L O L! What a crock!

TreeBee

TreeBee

So I left these seeds out by mistake yesterday and they got rained on. Cucumber seeds, they dried out nicely but I am wondering if anyone knows if they would still be okay next year? Considering just planting them all and worry about having 20 cucucmber plants later. I figured this was the place to decide if too many plants was actually the right amount 🤣

20240525 071255

Latest posts

Top Bottom