Outdoor grow in Southeast Michigan 2024

• Thread starter cpurola
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cpurola

cpurola

So I left these seeds out by mistake yesterday and they got rained on. Cucumber seeds, they dried out nicely but I am wondering if anyone knows if they would still be okay next year? Considering just planting them all and worry about having 20 cucucmber plants later. I figured this was the place to decide if too many plants was actually the right amount 🤣
Okay, I see what you did there. LOL
You know, if you have the room, why not?! 😄

(I can say that now, but come end of August, middle of September I may have to eat those words. LOL)

cpurola

cpurola

The little Autos are coming up!
I only 'helpped' a little bit. Really. 😁

20240525 191749

Rooke

Rooke

Thanks much.
We have the red clay up here, not as red as in the south, but hard as rocks. Oh, and we have a working gravel pit 4 miles down the road.
Hence the boxes, and fill dirt. I haven't settled on a feed schedule yet, but I plan on using Megacrop.

I am really glad I decided to join this forum its a wealth of knowledge and the people here are actually decent to each other....Shocking 😅

The social aspect has been unexpected but plesant for me here. I am pretty much a hermit outside of my family and partner I probably talk to the fast cashier are my grocery store the most 😅
Isn’t it Fun!!!

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
There is old rookie! The man with nerves of steel! Takes them to November or later! That is no small feet where he is at! Doesn’t settle for any funky early chop! It’s done or dead! Hammer down, brother!

Rooke

Rooke

There is old rookie! The man with nerves of steel! Takes them to November or later! That is no small feet where he is at! Doesn’t settle for any funky early chop! It’s done or dead! Hammer down, brother!
Heya @ Oldchucky I’m lmao thank you bro I’m so excited seeing @ cpurola doing her thang outdoors for someone who just Loves growing period. Makes me smile!!!

cpurola

cpurola

Hell yes, brother! She is something else! I can’t wait to see her tending 9 foot plants and hating life! But she will get it done!😂
Thanks Chuck. You know me tooooooo well. 😉
Was just out there trying to decide when to start the leaning. OR topping.
Since I have 2 groups of plants, figure I'll do one to one group and the other to the other group.
Decisions, decisions. LOL

cpurola

cpurola

Heya @ Oldchucky I’m lmao thank you bro I’m so excited seeing @ cpurola doing her thang outdoors for someone who just Loves growing period. Makes me smile!!!
Thanks Rooke. It's true, I really love growing these plants, just wish I could talk to more local face to face growers about our climate and get tips and tricks to make it better.
I wanted to take some of my plants to the local Garden Club, but I'm not entirely legal (no fence) and hubby didn't think it was a good idea. 🫤
So, here I am. 😁

Rooke

Rooke

Thanks Rooke. It's true, I really love growing these plants, just wish I could talk to more local face to face growers about our climate and get tips and tricks to make it better.
I wanted to take some of my plants to the local Garden Club, but I'm not entirely legal (no fence) and hubby didn't think it was a good idea. 🫤
So, here I am. 😁
I’m in the same boat here it seems that every one keeps to themselves but when I first joined the farm there was an Ontario Outdoor growers post that was very active and a lot of great info on it which was amazingly helpful.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

It's been 3 days since I transplanted the 'extras' and they're not looking happy.
The original 12 on the other hand look amazing! They are really taking off.
All except my last Frostberry. She insists it's Fall and is proceeding to flower. 🫤

View attachment 2179371
View attachment 2179372
View attachment 2179374
they'll come around. Haven't had a lot of time to send down any deep moisture accumulating roots yet probably. Id just give em a good vigorous watering and a little time. And if you are anything like that "Thumb-soil" up there in MI, even a little bit, your soil is probably draining better, and holding a little less moisture then it seems to be. (a good thing once plants get established with a full root system)

Even if the soil seems moist enough, with bigger plants put in ground recently, they may still not be able to draw enough moisture quick enough from their root volume to manage transpiration under the sun. The water table isnt perching in a container anymore and they have been used to that for a while now. After this happens a time or twice they'll focus on expanding their root systems with more haste and it probably wont happen anymore. If any were starting to root bind it makes this take slightly longer too.

Last edited:
cpurola

cpurola

they'll come around. Haven't had a lot of time to send down any deep moisture accumulating roots yet probably. Id just give em a good vigorous watering and a little time. And if you are anything like that "Thumb-soil" up there in MI, even a little bit, your soil is probably draining better, and holding a little less moisture then it seems to be. (a good thing once plants get established with a full root system)

Even if the soil seems moist enough, with bigger plants put in ground recently, they may still not be able to draw enough moisture quick enough from their root volume to manage transpiration under the sun. The water table isnt perching in a container anymore and they have been used to that for a while now. After this happens a time or twice they'll focus on expanding their root systems with more haste and it probably wont happen anymore. If any were starting to root bind it makes this take slightly longer too.
Thanks for that. I checked them this morning after getting half an inch of rain last night and they look perky-er. 🙂

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thanks for that. I checked them this morning after getting half an inch of rain last night and they look perky-er. 🙂
yea for the next several days, if night rain doesnt happen and they look a little sad, just give a good morning watering so they can transpire through the day. i usually water mine every morning or evening pretty thoroughly until they're pretty well established. Usually about a week. After that i just water if there hasn't been rain in a couple warm days.

You could also just let em do their thing since were the backup plants. Theyll have a little drought stress and be a little slower for just a little bit, but they'll also probably be hardier come fall for it. The drought stress now will actually encourage a more thoroughly developed root system more quickly. And that just means a little less work now, and a little less work later too, which may be a nice thing come fall lol. They wont produce like the main plants, but you may not need, nor want them to lmao.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

By mid afternoon after a rain i bet they look nice and happy :)

Oh, and probably worth knowing now. Sorry for double post.

Sometimes up there, my cousins, even with more indica dominant plants, end up in a situation where bad weather comes a little early, and they end up with multiple plants out of a crop needing to come down at the same time. October starts rollin in and all bets are off some years up there.

If you think that may be a lot of work for just you and whoever may be on hand (you're prob gonna have some good sized plants here lol), just make sure you have an extra hand or two on call, if thats doable, in case of any rapid harvest necessities. You may not need it, but that far north the backup is very nice to have. Some cannabis plants can take a couple frosts, some can take 1. Most can't take any.

I remembered after posting this comment you aren't even a smoker, so maybe losing a bit of smoke isnt the biggest deal lmao.

cpurola

cpurola

By mid afternoon after a rain i bet they look nice and happy :)

Oh, and probably worth knowing now. Sorry for double post.

Sometimes up there, my cousins, even with more indica dominant plants, end up in a situation where bad weather comes a little early, and they end up with multiple plants out of a crop needing to come down at the same time. October starts rollin in and all bets are off some years up there.

If you think that may be a lot of work for just you and whoever may be on hand (you're prob gonna have some good sized plants here lol), just make sure you have an extra hand or two on call, if thats doable, in case of any rapid harvest necessities. You may not need it, but that far north the backup is very nice to have. Some cannabis plants can take a couple frosts, some can take 1. Most can't take any.

I remembered after posting this comment you aren't even a smoker, so maybe losing a bit of smoke isnt the biggest deal lmao.
Thank you for your concern, and yes the Fall can be a brutal time, but NO ONE touches my weed but me. LOL
(and yes it makes for very long days.)

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thank you for your concern, and yes the Fall can be a brutal time, but NO ONE touches my weed but me. LOL
(and yes it makes for very long days.)
Man the memory s not what it used to be. For some eason i thought this was your first season. Went back to the Op.... "Oh, that's right i remember who you are now"

🤣 🤣 🤣

it'll happen again im sure. Sorry for not compressing my posts more, i thought i was helping out a new grower so i was intentionally being as detailed as possible lmfao. If i came across at all like i was lecturing you at any point, i apologize 😅 🤣 💚

Top Bottom