Outdoor growing in the Phoenix

• Thread starter AZsunfarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

First grow log on here
Mid March with the beginning of 12 hours of light and set to Veg mode ;)
7 autos and 2 photos
I reached out to the good dudes at multiversebeans and they recommend a few strains for the high heat and I settled in some strawberry lemon kush from Holland High, I got a couple of atlas gummie free beans, a Dutch passion zskittles and some Frankster blueberry and Frankenstein (but sometimes his autos are photos so fingers crossed). I have some GG x white widow photos from Frankster too (Thank you Frankster). I’ve sprouted a bunch in solos to cull off the boys when they get bigger.
3 are in 3 gal pots and the rest go in the ground. Various levels of soil amending. One of the gummies is literally in clay, compost, and probably a lot of cat shit (this is my shit soil control per se) I’m surprised it sprouted but it looks strong. Other's I’ve amended the soil with every possible combo. Some are fox farms with compost others roots organic, some are super soils from the local hipster nursery. All have compost deep down with either natures living or earth dust and more pearlite. Phoenix soil is just shit clay alkaline so I basically had to dig out 5 gal holes and refill with good soil. I’m going to do my best to not add any nutes other than the earth dust bloom amendments and recharge.
That’s basically it, nothing exciting. Everything has sprouted, I sprouted the pots March 1 and have been moving them inside under LEDs to get them thru the cold and keep growing. I sprouted the in ground seeds last week by just tossing them in the dirt and keeping them covered
First lesson I have learned is that they hate the cold and just don’t grow. It’s finally 80’s and 90’s next week so I’m expecting some rapid growth.
My biggest fear is aphids and whiteflies will get the best off this whole grow. They are bad in the city and I’ll do my best with sticky traps and peppermint Castile soap. I have to cover the seedlings right now because the seedling eating critters are out and about. Fingers crossed that the seedlings don’t get eaten in the next week. They already ate up my beet sprouts on the other side of the yard.
Quick pic of everything, you can’t see the sprouts but they are there and look happy. Hopefully the autos finish before the nuclear winter, ‘do prdele’ (fuck you in czech) Putin.

Outdoor growing in the phoenix
AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

Oh, goals….
Along with the various soils I want to try different types of lst, hst, fimming, and topping. That is all.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Great to see you at it again Arizona! I better get off my ass And try and keep up with you! Throwing some beans in the water tonight, and into towels tomorrow. Have some of Franksters Also along with some others. Hope we can do him proud! Will start a thread soon. All Regs except One strain that is feminized. So will be starting a lot of them like you. Look forward to growing with you this year and doing a fair amount of chirping! L O L! Along for the ride!

AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

Great to see you at it again Arizona! I better get off my ass And try and keep up with you! Throwing some beans in the water tonight, and into towels tomorrow. Have some of Franksters Also along with some others. Hope we can do him proud! Will start a thread soon. All Regs except One strain that is feminized. So will be starting a lot of them like you. Look forward to growing with you this year and doing a fair amount of chirping! L O L! Along for the ride!
I’ll be following along so let me know when you post! The first one on Struggle St. wins

Newbelinginaz

Newbelinginaz

First grow log on here
Mid March with the beginning of 12 hours of light and set to Veg mode ;)
7 autos and 2 photos
I reached out to the good dudes at multiversebeans and they recommend a few strains for the high heat and I settled in some strawberry lemon kush from Holland High, I got a couple of atlas gummie free beans, a Dutch passion zskittles and some Frankster blueberry and Frankenstein (but sometimes his autos are photos so fingers crossed). I have some GG x white widow photos from Frankster too (Thank you Frankster). I’ve sprouted a bunch in solos to cull off the boys when they get bigger.
3 are in 3 gal pots and the rest go in the ground. Various levels of soil amending. One of the gummies is literally in clay, compost, and probably a lot of cat shit (this is my shit soil control per se) I’m surprised it sprouted but it looks strong. Other's I’ve amended the soil with every possible combo. Some are fox farms with compost others roots organic, some are super soils from the local hipster nursery. All have compost deep down with either natures living or earth dust and more pearlite. Phoenix soil is just shit clay alkaline so I basically had to dig out 5 gal holes and refill with good soil. I’m going to do my best to not add any nutes other than the earth dust bloom amendments and recharge.
That’s basically it, nothing exciting. Everything has sprouted, I sprouted the pots March 1 and have been moving them inside under LEDs to get them thru the cold and keep growing. I sprouted the in ground seeds last week by just tossing them in the dirt and keeping them covered
First lesson I have learned is that they hate the cold and just don’t grow. It’s finally 80’s and 90’s next week so I’m expecting some rapid growth.
My biggest fear is aphids and whiteflies will get the best off this whole grow. They are bad in the city and I’ll do my best with sticky traps and peppermint Castile soap. I have to cover the seedlings right now because the seedling eating critters are out and about. Fingers crossed that the seedlings don’t get eaten in the next week. They already ate up my beet sprouts on the other side of the yard.
Quick pic of everything, you can’t see the sprouts but they are there and look happy. Hopefully the autos finish before the nuclear winter, ‘do prdele’ (fuck you in czech) Putin.
Best of luck, it is a lot of work with the pests and sun shining. I have given up until I can figure out an enclosed environment to try again. A DLI app on my phone really helped me combat the excess sun issue and I was surprised by how quickly they wilt and respond to being watered when the temperature hits 100.

At least overwatering is not a issue when its 105.

AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

I have learned that shade cloth is a must once June hits. Also in ground keeps the roots cool enough but fabric pots don’t work past June unless your dealing with 50 gallon above ground bags.

update: one of my Frankster specials at 4 weeks looks like it has some balls growing at the fourth node right when I decided to Fimm it. 4 weeks seems a little early to show sex so I’ll let it go for a couple more nodes to confirm but it’s pretty obvious. My Frankster blueberry auto I sprouted at March 1 looks solid and it’s taking well to my LST approach. All other seedlings sprouted March 19th are looking good too. 97 this Saturday in Phoenix, happy growing

AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

1st loss:

Damn, this potted Frankenstein auto most definitely looks like it’s male, RIP. This pic is right where I fimmed (or topped, I got a little aggressive on that fimm). After checking the tag I was wrong at age, it’s actually 4.5 weeks old. It got off to a slow start due to cold anyway so I’ll be chopping and doing a little soil conditioning to get a true fem auto sprouted. It’s my reused soil that I conditioned with compost, recharge, pearlite, and earth dust. I’ll give it a little more dust and recharge to eat up those old roots. Seed soaking tonight.

FA7BB4EC 0EBE 4DFC 8F19 F08BCBB19C88
Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Tough break Arizona! All part of the game. Growing autos you can afford a few losses without losing too much time, especially starting early. Got some in Solo cups. Starting to get moving up here. I like the way you are experimenting. Find out what works and what doesn’t. That’s what I get the most enjoyment out of, trying one harebrained scheme after another! L O L

AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

… and here come the whiteflies in one of my larger autos. Spraying underside of leaves with Dr. Bronners magic mushroom soap in the evening. Honestly my Auto seedlings are going slow, I’m hoping they are developing deep roots and this is just a weird lag phase. Soil is very airy and their little leaves start praying to the east as soon as the early dawn light begins. The damn photos in the solo cups are just going gang busters tho. If I wasn’t so stubborn I would do more photos and less autos. We’ll see tho. Pics next weekend when I have time, I’ve had one day off in 2 weeks and both my cars went down last week. Lots of working and wrenching.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Looks like it was 95 there. At least the chill is starting to come off! Yeah I’d like to see some pictures. Eight out of 10 seedlings pop here. Probably pop another 10 in the next day or so. Do white flies damage the plants much?

AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

95 over the weekend and now 68 and rainy, wtf. Ok here are some pics. I’m not going into too many details but everything started at different times. The potted blueberry is the biggest and getting full lst treatment. A second potted one just got the first lst today. Everything in ground is 10 days old except for the little runt that just sprouted yesterday. The solo cups were started first week of March. I’m just waiting on them to show sex before they go into ground.

0BF71135 5F51 4FC6 871A 16B2BB208F80
67AF9D58 BD1C 45B7 B953 EA7BE1033EAA
6885529A 12A3 468C 92B0 EC5259CE386F
4F70B363 D579 44CF AE23 2B42E318CACB
769F2992 BAEA 4B96 8886 3EE7AD6AA5F8
Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
People have been telling me that it’s too early to put them out in the sun. They say you have to be closer to 14 hours of daylight or you can run into problems with them flowering and then re-vegging. Right now we are at 12 1/2 hours sunrise to sunset. Don’t know if you count the twilight on either end. I’ve got about 12 popped and starting Underneath T fives. Then will put them in Two 1/2 gallon milk cartons and put them out in the sun, but supplement a little light for an hour or two after sundown just to be safe. Then into their final homes mid to late May.Where are we grow we are bound to run into problems so I hope you don’t run into any Light cycle problems. Looking good so far for a desert grower! And dammit, so are your suns! My warriors are circling the drain! L O L later brother!

AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

I got a $20 on the Suns to win the west! Lol. I was a little worried about the short light cycle, but it was a calculated move. I figured since I’m doing mostly autos it wouldn’t be too big of deal, and yes I know longer light = bigger plants. Last year I planted late and the heat won and I got jack squat. This year I decided to go early so they would finish before triple digits and overnight lows in the 90’s. In about 3 weeks we are at 13 hours and I have noticed when I do lst that the autos seem to take a few more weeks to flower. So it is what it is and I’ll learn and move on.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
It sounds like you are golden Arizona, if they were started from seed and not clones. One of the people on the site directed us to dark heart nurseries website and it says you can plant seedlings in the middle of March and they will be OK. Have to wait on clones. Your 20 bucks is looking pretty good, But Memphis might have something to say about it. L O L. Not going to throw a few photos in this year just for shits and giggles? I know where you’re coming from. I had a very subpar year last year also I was very disappointed. But we will kick ass this year! Happy trails!

T

Truebreedersclub

Yo wassup guys wanna tag along this year Arizona had been weird with the weather currently I'm waiting to set up my greenhouse after a huge storm I will lbe adding shade clothes and misting fans soon also I'm gonna be running kosher kush

IMG 20220327 165503384
AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

Update. It’s hot AF, 98 for the next 2 days. Auto’s are not that happy, curling and taco’ing for sure. I’m going to put the shade up tomorrow. Lost a couple that had balls. A couple autos in pots I stunted with watering issues and weird soil combinations- they ended up about 8 inches tall then went to flower so I gave them the axe. I have 2 solos cups photos that have done well and I just transplanted into the ground.
So, all in all I have 3 autos in ground that are just ok. They are not hating life but not as heat tolerant as I was hoping. I did overwater them too, I had a bit of a learning curve going from 3 gal pots to in ground. Here are pics of 3 autos, the big one (when I say big I mean of the group, it’s not actually big, lol) is in flower, the middle one looks like it’s going to flower, and little one is 2 weeks old. I think it’s time to build a controlled environment in the garage if I want to continue growing autos.

1A8F8772 970B 4B31 864D 94AC985CEFD3
1DB9CF4F D330 4591 8279 069E4577A204
846481F4 A1A6 47AF 9ED6 327615616410
AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

Here are the 2 photos that I just transplanted from solo cups. They were not happy with root temps and were running out of nutes. I topped both of them. I think they are going to just fine but who knows. It’s going to be a long summer.

21DD63B0 048D 4532 8A6F 664E3091EA9E
20C997DF FEC1 4150 A895 495643726261
AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

And lastly, my 3 gal indoor blueberry photo that I flipped a few weeks ago. I read you can’t do a living soil in 3 gals but this one is working like a charm. No nutes at all and just looking like a champ. My garage is about 100 degrees under the lights and she’s fine. I just brought it outside for some sun and a pic.

So a little good and plenty of bad but all in all it’s been a horrible April for weather. I was hoping for more mild conditions until May but this is what you get out here in the desert. I’ll put up some shade and dial in my watering better, when they are in ground you really don’t have to water much. I got some Mykos and Azos for better rooting to get them deeper and cooler. Until next time ladies and gents…

991FDDBB 4C34 44D5 BFA7 58B4FFF15D69
Heywood

Heywood

My biggest fear is aphids and whiteflies will get the best off this whole grow.

Have you ever looked into using SNS209? It is all natural and provides the plants the systemic means to uptake small amounts of Rosemary, which either kills or makes the pests want to go elsewhere. You can also use it as a foliar spray, but I have only ever used it systemically.

Here's part of their blurb:

Sierra Natural Science SNS 209 is a concentrated all natural systemic pest control used to protect plants against spider mites, fungus gnats, scale, thrips and whiteflies. Made from a select blend of 100% pure botanical extracts that are all food grade GRAS (generally recognized as safe).

Good luck in that heat down there.
I had to go to Chandler for business once in June. My buddy told me to make sure that I told the car rental place that I wanted a vehicle with air conditioned seats.

I thought he was joking. I found out he was not.

Top Bottom