Outdoor prices around the country

• Thread starter xX Kid Twist Xx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JACKMAYOFFER

JACKMAYOFFER

Playing with Fire Son...
Supporter
1800-2500 for outdoor is cheap? costs under 100 dollars to produce(conservatively). 1800-2500% markup. that would make warren buffett blush :)

:yawn :fubar

T

thed_ude

Yeah trimming alone is $200 if you are paying a person to it. This also doesn't include all the manual labor of the harvest, the packaging, nutrients, soil amendments, pest control, etc. A lb of well done outdoor still costs at least $400-$500 to produce, NOT including land/mortgage payments.
machines can harvest a lb in under an hour. i would love to hear the breakdown on $500/lb costs for outy not including land costs. not trying to be a jerk, just curious :)

A

amstercal

"and since it will be better then their indoor available you would rather but it and smoke it anyway."
That's just it, right? IMHO SoCal is the land of the indoor grower. I've seen dispensary owners call anything that isn't trimmed well or doesn't have good bag appeal "outdoor" because they honestly can't tell the difference and they really think more leaves and less crystal means it was grown outdoors.

And so follow the tale of a pound of purple kush...
Dispensary 1 What great platinum kush
Dispensary 2 What great cotton candy kush
Dispensary 3 What great kushberry
Dispensary 4 What great bubblegum kush
Dispensary 5 What great kushberry cheese (to some badly cured PK)

This is a true story. I'm not saying this is all of SoCal, but outside of bag appeal, a lot of dispensary owners know nothing. To qualify, I'm not saying if you threw a bunch of bags on a table I could identify them all, but I'm not a dispensary owner and I'm not saying I can either. :-)

Sorry, Kid, but for whatever reason, outdoor gets a really bad rap in SoCal, at least IMHE. Maybe you could send some our way and prove them all wrong. :-) I'd love to sample some of that. Hard to tell bag appeal from the pic. ;-P

C

Crackerass

Premium Member
Supporter
in the south we normally get cali outdoor between 2800-3200 just depending on the quality... we run through a lot though. last time i checked we grow more than every state but cali, so thats only when we run out. send a 100 pack on and it will gone in no time haha.

I

inline6

machines can harvest a lb in under an hour. i would love to hear the breakdown on $500/lb costs for outy not including land costs. not trying to be a jerk, just curious :)

why would you not include land costs? that is part of business expenses if youre a real grower, in or out.

land not included, this year im in for over 80g to get it in and trimmed and hoping for 150lb thats well over 500per.

S

SomeoneYouKnow

A lot of people seem to think it just magically grows itself for free. Once you factor in a mortgage and all the other expenses, it can easily cost as much as $75,000 to bring in a good sized outdoor crop for the year.

Here -- Here Blaze !

...and even more indoors!

Take Care My Friend!

SYK

M

mc1969

here in middle usa 350 to 400 an oz all day long in or out i cant grow enuff

H

Hazeface

good thread thanks guys i wouldnt mind gettin them elbow's of cali outdoor 4 $2500-and selling in boston 4 $4500..dam i would b caked up!!!:confused0054:

Blaze

Blaze

A good machine will still cost $15,000. Plus they make your buds look like crap and damage the trichromes so a lot of growers still don't use them.

Anyway, so if you have a person doing it, that will cost $200 per lb on average for the cleaning. You also have to factor in all the manual labor for the actual harvest. Someone needs to actually physically harvest the plants, de-leaf them, break them down into manageable pieces and then hang them or place them on the screen. Plus there is all the clean up as well. The plants must be uprooted, support structures need to be broken down, drip lines rolled up, etc.

For a 100 lb crop you are looking at a good 500-1,000 man hours just to bring it in, process it, and winterize the garden. If you are hiring that out (which you have to, no way one person can do it on their own in time) at $20+ per hour, that's $10,000-$20,000 worth of expenses. Combine that with trimming expenses and you're already looking at $30,000-$40,000 just for the harvest.

Plus you need soil and soil amendments, fertilizers and pest control, which can add several thousand dollars. For a 100 lb crop you are probably looking at $2,000-$5,000 or more worth of amendments and fertilizer.

On top of that, you need all your supplies, like grow bags or pot, drip irrigation, PVC pipe, sprayers for foliar feeding, timers, grape stakes or bamboo for support, trellis netting, fencing materials etc. For the first year all this can cost easily as much as $10,000 or more. Once the garden is set up you do not need to purchase some of these items again, but there are always additional materials that are needed.

Not to mention you need a drying structure, heaters, fans, vac bags and a sealer, turkey bags, paper bags,scales, dehumidifiers, etc for the drying and curing. It all adds up.

So, for a 100 lb crop of good quality herb you are looking at spending $40,000-$50,000+ per year, which adds up to be $400-$500 per lb.

If you do cheap synthetic fertilizers and use a machine for the harvest you can cut this down some, but you will not get the quality that comes with a hand crafted organic product,

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
66 containers - I mean 66 500 gallon containers cost about $450 each. 30k, mortgage 27K, help 150K, those 11 medis posted in the background 75K, Trimming 44K -all rounded down... 326K before I feed the fam. Yeah, piece O cake lol, outside of additional stressors - no pressure, easy peezy. Even more humorous are the folk who think there's a bunch of money falling from the sky in the breeding scene. -T

this is from tom hill i got it off another site
the 66 plants netted 212 lbs and 55 lbs of popcorn. belive the strain was oldsog ssh cut

with the popcorn its around $1200 per plant, each plant nets around 3 lbs. the popcorn wont sell for as much. but 300-500 per lbs is very good number

T

thed_ude

sounds reasonable. a lot of one time costs there. of course, the harvest is always the big hit. 20+/hour seem a little redonculous. you guys never heard of migrant labor? lol
next year i will keep detailed records and figure it out to the dollar. for me, i think it will be less than half of what is being posted here
regardless, $2200 a p is good money :)

squarepusher

squarepusher

outdoor peeps pulling 200+ lbs, @ 2000/lb, thats $400,000 per seasons, then minus expenses. Not bad, they say MJ is the #1 cash crop in the USA.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
well its alot easier to wing things as well with smaller amounts of plants. these guys are grown large and cant afford and fuck ups so they have to take alot of things a small time grower doesn't into consideration. if you have 10 plants out side and have to add something remove something or replace one its not a big deal. imagining foliar spraying 100 plants, training 100 plants tying up and supporting 100 plants. shit just prepping the soil or even pre-vegging this many plants is a project. then at the end of the year as well as throughout you have to protect 100 plants.

D

dramabeatz20

shux twist u make me wanna come see ya ......

try 1800 for afgooy on the farm in willits at the right time....

honestly u guys would go bonkers i cant even flip flop it ...

ahhh what a world what a world ...

Zoeronerer u can come my way man....

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Kid, I would have to venture a guess and say that the vast majority of small/home growers have no concept of how scale really changes the landscape of growing weed. No concept at all.
Yeah trimming alone is $200 if you are paying a person to it. This also doesn't include all the manual labor of the harvest, the packaging, nutrients, soil amendments, pest control, etc. A lb of well done outdoor still costs at least $400-$500 to produce, NOT including land/mortgage payments.

A lot of people seem to think it just magically grows itself for free. Once you factor in a mortgage and all the other expenses, it can easily cost as much as $75,000 to bring in a good sized outdoor crop for the year.
What about the time it takes to learn how to grow it well? Time is money, and my time is worth something if I've spent it amassing knowledge.

Water alone is worth something, too, even if you're stealing it from someone else it's worth something. There is still a risk and loss margin to account for as well, just as any farmer would have to account for.

The list goes on, just gotta put your brain to it.

There is no machine that's gonna go up and down the hills harvesting, someone's got to get the plants to that machine. The machine itself isn't free, either. The pricing on some trimming machines warrants taking out a small loan for some folks.

Seriously, this is very much a hand-to-mouth way to make a living. It's not easy and the price also reflects WHAT THE MARKET WILL BEAR. Just like with the outrageous seed prices I see people bandying about here, it may not be that it was all that difficult to produce the seeds themselves, but a combination of ROI and other market factors, along with what people are willing to pay determines almost entirely, if not entirely, what the final cost of the product will be.
sounds reasonable. a lot of one time costs there. of course, the harvest is always the big hit. 20+/hour seem a little redonculous. you guys never heard of migrant labor? lol
next year i will keep detailed records and figure it out to the dollar. for me, i think it will be less than half of what is being posted here
regardless, $2200 a p is good money :)
Seriously? You'd hire a complete stranger to come onto your property and trim your weed?

Just because you say you can do it cheaper doesn't mean you can do it better, or even as well. Let us know how using strangers works out for you, too.

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

Just commentin on the original thread. I live in ohio and bout 3 months ago i got ahold of some of that outdoor purp and goo from last years crop in cali, it was definatly a machine trim job but wasn't bad for 37 a p.

Woundering if anyone on the east coast knows of the clone only gdp thats been floatin around NYC down to ohio, it's way more bomb then the cali shit but it never seems to look like any of the gdp i get from cali?

Purple haze all in my brain
Lately things just don't seem the same
Actin' funny, but I don't know why
'Scuse me while I kiss the sky

Take it easy and good smokin yall:afroweed::banana:

B

billybadazz

^^^^I agree on every point you made Seamaiden, if this shit were easy EVERYBODY would be doing it!!!

T

thed_ude

you assume i am a kid who is talking out his ass. in fact, i am speaking from extensive personal experience. here in b.c, 100- 250 plants is considered a hobby grow :)

O

Oregonic

WTF, you mean to tell me that this shit in my closet is worth money?!?! I get rid of enough to keep the person I am growing for in free meds...... why do I need money when i have all the weed I can smoke :joint: I have my signs work to keep my family fed and my herbs to keep my head right...... :smoke

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I make no assumptions, personally. That's why I ask questions. While I've hired and even lived with "migrant workers", until I know them they're strangers. It takes me quite some time to get to know someone, especially to the point of letting them inside my home and seeing what I have going.

A hobby grow, that's good. Y'all must have a lotta time on your hands, eh?

You've heard of the other name for California, haven't you? Can'taffordya.
<insert my winky of absolution here>

Latest posts

Top Bottom