Outdoor Supersoil

• Thread starter GrowingGreen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
below frigid

below frigid

Not to sure I have read conflicting info. I was sort of afraid to use them and I have 40 acres of oaks. I have 2 species. The Live oaks is which I have an abundance of easily accessible leaves, but hardly anything grows under them. So I figured better safe than sorry. After some research I have found that the lack of sun is most likely the cause of nothing growing and the leaves would be fine to use. When green they are a little acidic but after decomposition they are slightly alkaline. They will tie up Nitrogen while decomposing. Best to use brown not green. Green may be ok on top as a mulch but not mixed in. I am going to start adding the brown ones into my compost. Still a little leary. The oaks without the pointy leaves definitely break down faster and the wild grass grows fine under them, but they also let a lot more Sun through. End results from what I read are there will be very little ph change if any. Will improve soil texture for sure which is what I need. I use a lot of native soil.

GrowingGreen

GrowingGreen

Not to sure I have read conflicting info. I was sort of afraid to use them and I have 40 acres of oaks. I have 2 species. The Live oaks is which I have an abundance of easily accessible leaves, but hardly anything grows under them. So I figured better safe than sorry. After some research I have found that the lack of sun is most likely the cause of nothing growing and the leaves would be fine to use. When green they are a little acidic but after decomposition they are slightly alkaline. They will tie up Nitrogen while decomposing. Best to use brown not green. Green may be ok on top as a mulch but not mixed in. I am going to start adding the brown ones into my compost. Still a little leary. The oaks without the pointy leaves definitely break down faster and the wild grass grows fine under them, but they also let a lot more Sun through. End results from what I read are there will be very little ph change if any. Will improve soil texture for sure which is what I need. I use a lot of native soil.
Same info ive read ! I put approximately 1-2 of brown oak leaves in each pot, this stuff is already breaking down , also it'll help with co2 in the rootzone

Smerb

Smerb

I want to take this gal outside.
IMG 5871
She's been picked. Might as well...

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

grass isnt growing because live oak has a dense canopy,want allow sun threw,,i use live oak ,post oak and white oak,have for years,,the important fact is to mulch them up before you put in compost pile bro,,i rack a huge 3ft tall by 50yrd long pile and get my lawnmower out and mow them leaves,,after i mulch um up,i dump out my can after 30 days and mulch again,,that the last mulching,when i wake in the morning and dont have steam coming from pile ,i get out stir the pile,,you got the right idea though,brown leaves for bacteria,green leaves for fungi,,or vice verssa,cant remember im old,lol,,but your mainly trying to provide food for the worms if you dig,,they cant eat the fresh leaf without it being mulched,,here is another tip,,if your want to bring up your worm count,,water your pot bags or whatever till it saturated,,the worms come to top thinking they will drown,when the come to top of soil they breed,thats the only time they breed,in air,,be sure and add some bichar to your mulch pile too for great composting

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I use oak leaves and chips at 2% of my total volume to lower my PH. Careful, stuff is potent. 2 year old material always, never fresh.
main thing is get all three elements right first,equal ,sand ,silt and clay,,then amend as you want,,everything away from them three elements is litter and you provide the correct amount for what your looking to grow,,just saying ,,lol

GrowingGreen

GrowingGreen

grass isnt growing because live oak has a dense canopy,want allow sun threw,,i use live oak ,post oak and white oak,have for years,,the important fact is to mulch them up before you put in compost pile bro,,i rack a huge 3ft tall by 50yrd long pile and get my lawnmower out and mow them leaves,,after i mulch um up,i dump out my can after 30 days and mulch again,,that the last mulching,when i wake in the morning and dont have steam coming from pile ,i get out stir the pile,,you got the right idea though,brown leaves for bacteria,green leaves for fungi,,or vice verssa,cant remember im old,lol,,but your mainly trying to provide food for the worms if you dig,,they cant eat the fresh leaf without it being mulched,,here is another tip,,if your want to bring up your worm count,,water your pot bags or whatever till it saturated,,the worms come to top thinking they will drown,when the come to top of soil they breed,thats the only time they breed,in air,,be sure and add some bichar to your mulch pile too for great composting
Grass is growing dog there's only bout 1/2" layer of oak leaves , i had to put something in there for worms to eat ! Right now soil is doin good & yesterday we had a light rain all day , they got some good water yesterdy, the oak leaves will help with carbon i dont have bio char

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Grass is growing dog there's only bout 1/2" layer of oak leaves , i had to put something in there for worms to eat ! Right now soil is doin good & yesterday we had a light rain all day , they got some good water yesterdy, the oak leaves will help with carbon i dont have bio char
make it bro,,just wood coals crushed up,forwarning your ass will be black when done,lol,,helps on the air in the soil too,better than perlite for sure,,hey by the way that huge bag of soil you got ,did you ever do the jar trick on it,,just curiouse of the layer mix they use,,i did it to happy frog and ocean forest,,both are mainly litter,,the soap makes all the compost and air products float,,just curiouse cause i noticed no sand at all in them 2 products,just mainly litter a jar full lmao

GrowingGreen

GrowingGreen

make it bro,,just wood coals crushed up,forwarning your ass will be black when done,lol,,helps on the air in the soil too,better than perlite for sure,,hey by the way that huge bag of soil you got ,did you ever do the jar trick on it,,just curiouse of the layer mix they use,,i did it to happy frog and ocean forest,,both are mainly litter,,the soap makes all the compost and air products float,,just curiouse cause i noticed no sand at all in them 2 products,just mainly litter a jar full lmao
You know I'll do that now how much soap do i use again

Top Bottom