Outside autos w/ mixed media and biochar

• Thread starter sambapati
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sambapati

sambapati

What I learned from last year was the smallest plants were in the soil, the potted plants were the best performers. Have assembled 1-year-old and some new coconut shells to make a permeable bed for the pots.Anticipating pot-up time next week and have already put away the soil for this. Also have a divider to keep it more orderly. Preparation in the nation....

Outside autos w mixed media and biochar
Outside autos w mixed media and biochar 2
Outside autos w mixed media and biochar 3
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
What I learned from last year was the smallest plants were in the soil, the potted plants were the best performers. Have assembled 1-year-old and some new coconut shells to make a permeable bed for the pots.Anticipating pot-up time next week and have already put away the soil for this. Also have a divider to keep it more orderly. Preparation in the nation....
Lol, look at that coconut husk 😂 Grind that stuff up fine if you can. You need a garbage can sized coffee grinder. 🤔 That stuff has naturally high K, so you need to rinse it good. You can pour a little dilute calcium nitrate mixed with magnesium sulfate (epsom salts) to prep it.

yea, I would pot up everything. 2 gallons are good size IMO, that's what I've been using these days. But I would fill out those pots you got going first. Like I've done here on this these White Tahoe cookies.

IMG 20211118 034936204

Last edited:
sambapati

sambapati

Lol, look at that coconut husk 😂 Grind that stuff up fine if you can. You need a garbage can sized coffee grinder. 🤔 That stuff has naturally high K, so you need to rinse it good. You can pour a little dilute calcium nitrate mixed with magnesium sulfate (epsom salts) to prep it.

yea, I would pot up everything. 2 gallons are good size IMO, that's what I've been using these days. But I would fill out those pots you got going first. Like I've done here on this these White Tahoe cookies.

View attachment 1190340
The husks have been hunkered down in the rain for 1 year....have to order 1 giant coffee grinder...like in the movie Fargo. Yes I'll wait until the up pot tine just want to be ready...

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
The husks have been hunkered down in the rain for 1 year....have to order 1 giant coffee grinder...like in the movie Fargo. Yes I'll wait until the up pot tine just want to be ready...
I wonder if seaweed/kelp, microorganisms, worms, might break them down well. If you do worms, I think there you would have to bury it, in a cool spot.
My best guess is microorganisms, but keeping the wet is key here @sambapati. Maybe wet it, and stick some plastic over it, too hold the moisture in the ground there. Hopefully that's on a shady side. Get some rich stuff going down in there, cover it, keep it wet...

then introduce good microbes, and keep all of them happy, healthy. But moisture is the key. They will break it down. Even a plastic dome, or boxed in somehow, might work well. Tarp would be easiest IMO, and just some rocks for each corner. A hole in the top, so you can wet it with the hose.

Then keep adding and mixing your substrate, your going to have a real winner. But cause it's coco, you got to hold the water too it. Naturally wants to dry out, I have the same issues here. I have to be on top of it, cause having that dirt pre-cooked, it's a big advantage

Even if it's hot, it can be further diluted, and mixed into what you need. and you can develop like a hot, and cool corner if you like. Then find what's working best. Watch out for attracting poisonous snakes, and other smart critters...🤔 cause they'll be attracted to places with moisture that hold onto the morning cool temps.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom