Over watering or Freak or something else?

• Thread starter CookiesLikeWhoa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CookiesLikeWhoa

CookiesLikeWhoa

Hey all! So I'm a bit stumped by one of my vegging plants. She looks like I'm possibly waterboarding her or something else. I had the feeling I had been watering a bit heavy (would get the top soil moist in the morning and at night) so I stopped for a day and just started watering the topsoil once in the morning. Nothing changed during that process, she always looked the same with her lettuce lookin leaves.

Strain: SQ1 Gentics Weeding Cake
Temp: 82 - 90F
HR: 65
CO2: 1500PPM
Light: 550-600 PPFD
Soil: FFOF
Feed: Recharge once a week /w PowerSi @.6ml/gal

In the pictures she's on the lower right side. She's obviously not stunted vs. her sisters, but she does look different. Same strain on the bottom left. I'm guessing I'm stressing her out with the Temps/CO2/PPFD possibly? Her first set of leaves are 3 fingered so...

Any ideas?

Over watering or freak or something else
Over watering or freak or something else 2
Over watering or freak or something else 3
Ponky

Ponky

You're watering technique is off. You want to fully saturate the media until it runs out. At least a couple gallons for a 5 gallon pot. And let it dry out until it's ready for water right before the plant droops.

CookiesLikeWhoa

CookiesLikeWhoa

Makes sense.

Learned after I planted these its a better idea to start small pots and pot up to a 5 gallon. It's hard to gage when a plant needs to be watered in bigger pots and I was to worried about over watering that I just didn't water right.

CookiesLikeWhoa

CookiesLikeWhoa

Even with the CO2 in there? I was told to keep it between 85-95 for CO2 environments. 95 seemed excessive so I've tried to keep it between 85-90.

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

Why do you want the CO2 that high right now? It won't do you any good unless everything else in your grow is dialed in. Higher CO2 will allow the plant to absorb/withstand more intense light/temps IF everything else is perfect.

Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

I think that with that high temperature, co2 and LED you need to up the RH to 70s......try that and i bet they will perk up ,prayn to the light....
I think its a VPD issue, more than a watering problem....

CookiesLikeWhoa

CookiesLikeWhoa

I think that with that high temperature, co2 and LED you need to up the RH to 70s......try that and i bet they will perk up ,prayn to the light....
I think its a VPD issue, more than a watering problem....

So I'm thinking that might have something to do with it. I've had the RH at around 75 until 2 days ago and they were all looking fantastic. Dropped the RH to 65% and today they are all looking sad af. I also hadn't given them water yesterday as I had planned to give them a big watering today, so that may play a part in it, but I think I'm going to put the humidity up to 75% again and see how they shape up.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
its a little nitrogen rich at this point but it’ll grow out of it and you dont need to water till runoff in true organics thats a salt based fertilizer thing if you’re doing only water in organic soil you dont have to get any runoff but be careful and saturate the whole medium when watering and be sure that there arent any dry spots in the pots.

peat becomes hydrophobic and there may be patches of dry peat in the pots so water in session, water with the half of the total amount of water youre gonna give wait 10min come back and water with the other half. or just get bigger trays and do bottom watering with half and water from the top with the other half.

CookiesLikeWhoa

CookiesLikeWhoa

its a little nitrogen rich at this point but it’ll grow out of it and you dont need to water till runoff in true organics thats a salt based fertilizer thing if you’re doing only water in organic soil you dont have to get any runoff but be careful and saturate the whole medium when watering and be sure that there arent any dry spots in the pots.

peat becomes hydrophobic and there may be patches of dry peat in the pots so water in session, water with the half of the total amount of water youre gonna give wait 10min come back and water with the other half. or just get bigger trays and do bottom watering with half and water from the top with the other half.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah right now they are going off whats in the soil. Soil is FFOF with 20% Earth Worm Castings and 20% perlite mixed.

Waterings right now are just a mix of RO/Tap water, PowerSi (.6ml/Gal) and recharge once a week.

My last grow I used bottom watering for the first few weeks to try to help get the bottom of the pot a bit wet without dumping all of it on the top (same 5 gallon fabric pots). Plants seemed to like it a lot, but was criticized on reddit for trying to give my plants root rot /w the bottom waterings. So I avoided it this run, but honestly think it's the safest way for me to figure out how much water to give them because I can see how fast the waters being absorbed from the saucer and gauge if I need to give them more. At least till they're big enough to drain the whole pot in a few days.

Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

've had the RH at around 75 until 2 days ago and they were all looking fantastic.
Strong LEDs are a completely new game compared to HPS....we are still learning how to use em....i run 70-80 RH till harvest and my plants are happy and very perky....never got mold
Most of the time not even the Manufacturer knows how to grow properly under their own lights....
I found that crazy high humidity and low temps with c02 gives me AAA buds and great yields despite what everyone says that with co2 you have to run high temps, it could be true if you were growing hemp but if you are growing for terpenes, bag appeal, and strong medicine....go waaaaay cooler

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Thanks for the advice! Yeah right now they are going off whats in the soil. Soil is FFOF with 20% Earth Worm Castings and 20% perlite mixed.

Waterings right now are just a mix of RO/Tap water, PowerSi (.6ml/Gal) and recharge once a week.

My last grow I used bottom watering for the first few weeks to try to help get the bottom of the pot a bit wet without dumping all of it on the top (same 5 gallon fabric pots). Plants seemed to like it a lot, but was criticized on reddit for trying to give my plants root rot /w the bottom waterings. So I avoided it this run, but honestly think it's the safest way for me to figure out how much water to give them because I can see how fast the waters being absorbed from the saucer and gauge if I need to give them more. At least till they're big enough to drain the whole pot in a few days.
bottom watering is only dangerous if you are giving them too much water at once. if they are wicking it all up in 5-10 mins i give a little more and call it a day. it also helps after they wick all of it up to run a little bit from the top aswell because capillary action is sometimes a little bit slow and tops stay dry. but unless you’re giving them so much water that they’re sitting in the water for a day or two root rot shouldnt be a problem.

CookiesLikeWhoa

CookiesLikeWhoa

So I want to update this post since I'm about 4 weeks out from this post.

That girl is just a freak. Despite watering issues (which there were a ton of them) her leaf structure is genetic and not due to irregular watering, or over watering. I have 5 clones of her that are showing the exact same lettuce ass looking leaves that mom has. These clones are in a 70/30 coco/perlite mix, so I'd gather it would be quite hard for me to over water them lol.

Also what I learned from this experience. I don't know how to water a small plant in a big pot and I still don't really. To get all of these girls healthy again I went through 2 weeks of shit. About 1 week after posting this things took a turn for the worse. Girls were obviously over watered, and showing signs of continued over watering (too little water, too frequently, not giving enough dry back). I decided I was going to let them dry for 2 days and then drench. It was tough love but after two weeks they turned around. Going to give them another week of recovering and throwing roots then to flower with them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom