Overwatered is an understatement lol

• Thread starter smithage
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
smithage

smithage

It's not looking good for these girls any advice appreciated the issue was overwatered for 4 nights whilst I was away iv only been misting them with rhizotonic every few hours not sure if to start again?

Overwatered is an understatement lol
Overwatered is an understatement lol 2
B

Bdubs

Use trays to see runout amounts or when it is running out. The soil below is staying wet because you don’t have cloth bags on those pots, you really need to give more time between watering/feeding..like 4-5 days no water in those sealed plastic pots.

Water slowly and thoroughly making multiple rounds of watering giving full time to soak and not straight to runout by dumping the water in and calling it good. Spray bottle, and patience for perfect watering. But you need to see when she runs out in this manner of watering because you stop when you see runout. If you dump water in quick all at once or even too fast, she just runs out and this is why they say 15% runoff, because most people don’t control How they water. They usually water too fast and so more runout is the basis because of peoples watering habits, which is just too quick.

Once they are in the cloth bags you’ll most likely be watering more often. But sticking to the spray and allowing the soil to absorb at a slower rate is best watering practices. When in the bigger pots, use a store bought weed pump sprayer to achieve the same results of watering the smaller pots with a hand spray bottle.

Simply let them dry out and develop more controlled watering habits. Which is Slow it down.

B

Bdubs

By spraying the plant you are substituting water that would otherwise be taken up by the roots, reducing the amount of water she wants to drink from the roots and in turn lengthening the dry back period for the soil. So if you water on a timed base system, plus foliar spray, automatic overwatering.

Axe the foliar spray.

Prune bottom leaf(s) to promote root growth and in turn she will also increase root resistances/fighting off infection ect. For a more natural approach to assist in recovery.

smithage

smithage

This is how I left them on my homemade flood and drain tray 5 days ago. I got back last night to find them looking almost drowned so I placed them onto fabric pots full of medium to try soak some of the water out the bottom of the pots it was obviously a huge mistake on my part my timer was set 15 mins every 24h 😅

20240404 205247
B

Bdubs

oh shit. Yeah dude. All that water is asking for root rot. If you wanna do something like that, try hydro.

But yeah, let them dry out for a good while maybe even more than 5 days from removing them from the sitting puddle of water.

B

Bdubs

It would be more about the length of time that the pots sat in that much water. After your drain she will need a lot of time. You most likely leeched the soil of nutrients if there were any on the soil you used as well.

B

Bdubs

Once they dry and you can water again, give them nutrients. Even if it’s a cheap 3 part GH or flora nova series veg nutrient. It will help her bounce back to even give her one feed with liquid salts. Once you transfer, make sure to work in your organic nitrogen product into the soil that the transferred ball of soil will sit on. Nitrogen rich because it will promote roots to go down to seek it. So it is best practice to enrich the top 2-3 inches of soil that the transfer with sit on. So when you water it after transfer, slowly with controlled soaking with spray and time between soaks, the nitrogen will be absorbed below and forever keep her roots seeking newer more enriched soil.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Agree with buds axe the foiler spray was looking at them I was thinking that’s more than overwatering something else is going on then I read you was misting them with rhizotonic, yeah don’t do that

Imo transplanting them into new dryer soil would be your best bet. The bottom of the pot will be soggy and there going take ages to dry out

Transplanted they could recover a lot faster

smithage

smithage

Your telling me to not spray them? I dunno mate the way i see it the roots have been damaged and the can't take up water or nutrients hence why they wilt and start turning brown I think spraying is my best bet there less crispy now than they were 4 hours ago and since last night when i put them ontop of this coco the pots weigh a quarter of what they did also repotting will just cause more stress I'm just gonna try keeping the humidity up but not actually water them till almost dry then hit them with a hald dose of nutes

smithage

smithage

The only pots I have are 5 galon fabric pots and they will take up alot of space on trays and also having to put another light on to light the other half of my tent when there so small seems illogical

ChuckFinnl3y

ChuckFinnl3y

The only pots I have are 5 galon fabric pots and they will take up alot of space on trays and also having to put another light on to light the other half of my tent when there so small seems illogical
I honestly would go for some smaller fabric or Pruning/Air Pots in this case.
Overwatering is a encountered by many if not all at some point, and spec. for people like you and me who are just starting out it can lead to some problems not just overwatering itself but may having to wait for a longer peroid before being able to add more Water/Nutrients/Amendments to fight occuring errors.
Dont get me wrong, it for sure will work with your regular Pots if done correctly but its just more difficult to get it right.

Might wait 10 days and check if there are some decent deals on 4/20 and grab a few pots then if you can afford.

smithage

smithage

I honestly would go for some smaller fabric or Pruning/Air Pots in this case.
Overwatering is a encountered by many if not all at some point, and spec. for people like you and me who are just starting out it can lead to some problems not just overwatering itself but may having to wait for a longer peroid before being able to add more Water/Nutrients/Amendments to fight occuring errors.
Dont get me wrong, it for sure will work with your regular Pots if done correctly but its just more difficult to get it right.

Might wait 10 days and check if there are some decent deals on 4/20 and grab a few pots then if you can afford.
I'm planning on doing 12 plants in 5 galon fabric pots 5x10ft tent 2x720w led hand watering then hoovering the runnoff water out the tray

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Why don’t you just water normally your in soil yet treating them like there in hydro and yes don’t spray them as you’ve already been told by others that know what there saying.

I don’t think you understand the roots are drowning already you don’t want to stop them drinking the water
What your doing wont repair the roots it will make the plants worse

Honestly it’s up to you but all this could of been avoided

Good luck either way

Last edited:
ChuckFinnl3y

ChuckFinnl3y

I'm planning on doing 12 plants in 5 galon fabric pots 5x10ft tent 2x720w led hand watering then hoovering the runnoff water out the tray
Sounds interesting, ill stick around never seen multiple Canna plants in a pot so far.
I would still suggest to go for some other pots though for your current stage if it works out for you and you wanna continue this way.
Might wanna check out Air-Pots for the ease of repotting.

smithage

smithage

Why don’t you just water normally your in soil yet treating them like there in hydro and yes don’t spray them
Honestly it’s up to you but all this could of been avoided

Good luck either way
It's coco and perlite I was under the assumption it is hydro?

smithage

smithage

Sounds interesting, ill stick around never seen multiple Canna plants in a pot so far.
I would still suggest to go for some other pots though for your current stage if it works out for you and you wanna continue this way.
Might wanna check out Air-Pots for the ease of repotting.
Only 1 plant per pot x 12 3 of these are not needed

Top Bottom