Overwatering in coco...?

• Thread starter hard_mind
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

hard_mind

Greetings all coco growers!

Just started my first grow in coco and have a few Q's!
Ok, i started a bunch of seeds in 11l pots of pure coco... Now i'm used to watering in soil so i'm not too sure how to treat this medium... How do i water seedlings in 11l pots? Do i water till runoff like ive read? Im followings zoo's feeding schedule and gave my first feeding today, i just have the feeling that i'm over watering cause i need like 20liters to feed 16 x 11liter pots... understand? Will see if i can get some pics to show the seedlings... They look a little pale and weak, so lets hope the first feeding does them good, gave them 2ml of A+B per 10L and some cannazym... this the way to go?

Help me out y'alll!:stonedsmilie:

H

hard_mind

ok, so it isnt possible to over water them, right? i noticed with coco the top layer dries up alot faster... how often do you water ripz? every day?

tnx for the fast reply!

H

hard_mind

wow! every 4-5 days? in the growshop they told me to water up to 3 times a day... doesnt your top layer dry out after a day or two?

H

hard_mind

for seedlings in 11l pots this means i only have to water once or twice a week right?

H

hard_mind

they are about a week old... i put them straight into the 11l so i dont have to transplant them later... lazy i know:stonedsmilie:

H

hard_mind

demn, didnt know putting them straight into the 11l would make so much a difference... so best to transplant into smaller pots or just let them be?

H

hard_mind

owkeee, will see what i can do, maybe with a few pics i can show you how their doing....

H

hard_mind

btw, ripz bro, didnt u get my pm? if ur still intrested in those sweet cindy's let me know aaaiht!

G

greenthumb

the more room there is for your roots to grow the faster your plants grow althought most people put them in small pots for a couple of weeks to get a decent root ball going plus you use less food and water but there is no problem with putting them in bigger pots just as long as you get all the medium in your pots wet and dont leave any dry pockets and youve got enough room.

F

fishrealhigh

i use now mostly 2-5 gal. coco/ chunky perlite mix and have to water once a day and some get it twice a day if they ask. I just lift the pot to feel the weight. if light i know it needs agua. i always add cal mag unless flushing,they tell me if I ran out or have forgotten the calmag. (once weekly)= when I add molasses on the flush I add in myco and nothing else but maybe a tad catalyst.
FishRealHigh

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
i use now mostly 2-5 gal. coco/ chunky perlite mix and have to water once a day and some get it twice a day if they ask. I just lift the pot to feel the weight. if light i know it needs agua. i always add cal mag unless flushing,they tell me if I ran out or have forgotten the calmag. (once weekly)= when I add molasses on the flush I add in myco and nothing else but maybe a tad catalyst.
FishRealHigh

Do you flush once a week??? Just curious. RB

T

twisted metal

Dam seems like you gotta them everyday, iv realized no matter what some people say about coco everyone does what works for them. Iv had a friend that had to water once if not twice day in 3gal pots. The top layer dries up fast real fast. I prefer to let them dry out before watering. Give them a nice flush once a week, and water till you get some run off.

Iv noticed the people I knew that grew in coco that complained about watering everyday are the ones that never watered till they got run off, only watered about half way.

The ones that only water once every 2-3 days are the ones who water when the plant is very light almost all dry then give them a heavy watering. Ripz on average how much water does your plants take, and how far are your lights from the plants?

purpleberry

purpleberry

I ran canna coco for a long time. I think the best way is with perilite mixed in and water every other day til they get going and then everyday. I would flush every 3 rd water just beacuse it was when i would fill the res. If you used 50/50 mix i bet u could water as many times a day as u want. If you run it straight coco you could treat it like soil and wait til its dry. Coco is great stuff.
I would step up pot size 2 times, Something i discovered is if you pot up as soon as you can the growth will take off. Letting them fill the sides of the pot with roots only slows growth..........i believe.

M

mellofello

first grow in coco and I'm watering 4 times a day. I'm not watering them loads each time only till there is a little bit of run off but it seems that if I give them much more at each watering it goes straight through and they still dry out as quick. I was on 1 or 2 during veg and 3 at the begining of flower. Even with this many waterings I still have 2 plants which need more than the rest so I give them an extra feed when it looks like they need it (from a jug, rest of the time its drippers)

peace

mello

C

CharacterZero

so i just dont get how some people can water them once every few days and some people can water them once a day.

if you let it get to dry you will get salt build up i think. nutrients will get stored in the coco and the water will be gone eventually. making your nutrient solution in the coco much stronger than it should be.

thats just what i imagine im a noob still.

also i heard that it is bad to flush coco and there is no reason for it if you run to waste anyways. or i heard that flushing is bad for it. this could be wrong cause it doesn't make sense to me.

I have heard so many different things about coco i dont know what is right. i almost dont know if i want to start using it, im a little intimidated i guess. its like one person saying one thing and then the other person says exact opposite.

U

ukcheesehead

if your final pot is going to be 11ltr i would repot 3 times . small to 3.6lt then to 11ltr
as for watering do it every day untill u get a good 20% run off . and remember to flush onece a week. plan ph water

Greyskull

Greyskull

I have heard so many different things about coco i dont know what is right. i almost dont know if i want to start using it, im a little intimidated i guess. its like one person saying one thing and then the other person says exact opposite.

you need to understand that there are a million different ways to accomplish the same goal using the same tools as everyone else in this cannabis plant growing thing.

what that means is.... (drum role, please....)
THERE IS NO SINGLE RIGHT WAY TO GROW CANNABIS
there are many ways to succeed and there are many ways to fail.

case in point, I recirculate my nutrients in an ebb n flow grow. i don't flush my plants until day 50. i prune off the bottom 30% of the plant growth, as well as remove fan leaves to expose bud sights to more light.

^^PEOPLE THINK I AM CRAZY FOR GROWING LIKE THAT^^
"you're not supposed to recirdulate coco nutes..."
"you're not supposed to ebb n flow in coco..."
"you'll need to flush once per week"
"never remove fan leaves thats a bad idea"

ha ha

cannabis is a weed. don't overthink it. if it dies then you really fucked up.

good luck

N

northern monsta

ive allways used coco never anything other than coco i think you only run into trouble when you buy the cheap stuff thats just my opinion based on previouse experiance likewise i would probably struggle in soil as i have never used it i do like coco i would recomend it

Solidopc

Solidopc

I've no idea why some people are watering their coco plants everyday, let alone a few times a day. I start my coco plants off in 3 litre pots, and water them until runoff. They will be fine for 2-3 days before needing another watering. Usually takes just under 1 litre of water to get some decent runoff from the 3 litre pots.

When i transplant into 12 litre pots, i water them 3 litres each, which gives a small ammount of runoff. This will again last 2-3 days, sometimes longer depending at what stage the plant is at. I pick the pot up and see how heavy it is to tell when it needs a water, i usually wait until it's very light but the plant is not wilting at all.

I give every 3rd - 4th watering plain ph'd water to prevent any salt build up. Never heard that letting the medium dry out between watering actually increases salt build up. Anyhow, this way workls extremly well, and i prefer the taste of the bud to my soil grows.

If i had to water a few times a day, i simply couldn't be bothered with coco unless i had a drip system.

Not sure why people are worrying about the top layer of coco drying out either. It happens the same with soil. You let it dry out before watering, at least i do. Never seem to have any problems.

U

ukcheesehead

I've no idea why some people are watering their coco plants everyday, let alone a few times a day. I start my coco plants off in 3 litre pots, and water them until runoff. They will be fine for 2-3 days before needing another watering. Usually takes just under 1 litre of water to get some decent runoff from the 3 litre pots.

When i transplant into 12 litre pots, i water them 3 litres each, which gives a small ammount of runoff. This will again last 2-3 days, sometimes longer depending at what stage the plant is at. I pick the pot up and see how heavy it is to tell when it needs a water, i usually wait until it's very light but the plant is not wilting at all.

I give every 3rd - 4th watering plain ph'd water to prevent any salt build up. Never heard that letting the medium dry out between watering actually increases salt build up. Anyhow, this way workls extremly well, and i prefer the taste of the bud to my soil grows.

If i had to water a few times a day, i simply couldn't be bothered with coco unless i had a drip system.

Not sure why people are worrying about the top layer of coco drying out either. It happens the same with soil. You let it dry out before watering, at least i do. Never seem to have any problems.

if i didnt water every day mate my pots would be bone dry . with coco you are ment to water every day to force feed the plants and make sure they are feeding on the right ec . i meen u wouldnt use a nft tank and only water every 2 days. when watering and getting a run off u want the run off to be 0.1 or 0.2 higher than whats going in at the top . my last psychosis grow i had to water 3 times aday with the topspin if not the plants would of starved...... lol

Top Bottom