Overwatering issues, one plant only, would love to save her...

• Thread starter Nectarivorous
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Benchtop, countertop, same thing. You flip it over and unscrew the bottom and change cartridges. Usually a 3 pack is around $20 online.
Un screw the end of your sink faucet and screw the adapter on. All set. Just that easy.

Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

Benchtop, countertop, same thing. You flip it over and unswcrew the bottom and change cartridges. Usually a 3 pack is around $20 online.
Un screw the end of your sink faucet and screw the adapter on. All set. Just that easy.
Awesome I'll take this POS back and get the real thing. Actually pretty happy with how my plants have gone so far, they won't believe their luck when their EC is made up of actual Nutes instead of half shit they can't even use that clogs up the coco. This is a spedoinkle day.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Awesome I'll take this POS back and get the real thing. Actually pretty happy with how my plants have gone so far, they won't believe their luck when their EC is made up of actual Nutes instead of half shit they can't even use that clogs up the coco. This is a spedoinkle day.
Water can be a big factor. Most city water systems are pretty clean and no filtration is needed. But we just prefer to remove the chance of something slipping through. A carbon water filter is very cheap insurance and like I said, peace of mind.

Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

Water can be a big factor. Most city water systems are pretty clean and no filtration is needed. But we just prefer to remove the chance of something slipping through. A carbon water filter is very cheap insurance and like I said, peace of mind.
Yeah ours is normally not bad at around 0.2, but at 0.7 at the moment I can't deal with that. All the ones I can see online at my local hardware store say they remove 'chlorine, odours and contaminants'. None of them talk about TDS. Do I need to find one that does, or will all bench top filters do the job as long as they are carbon/charcoal?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Yeah ours is normally not bad at around 0.2, but at 0.7 at the moment I can't deal with that. All the ones I can see online at my local hardware store say they remove 'chlorine, odours and contaminants'. None of them talk about TDS. Do I need to find one that does, or will all bench top filters do the job as long as they are carbon/charcoal?
That's them. It's a kitchen water filter. It removes 99. so many 9's % worth of everything in the water. Then when you feed, it's pretty much only what you feed, no added water ppms. It's almost overkill.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

To me, RO and all that is extremism. There are a very few that really need it. The vast majority of growers only need basic filtering to remove anything that might cause a problem. You can never get it all, so don't beat your head on a brick over it. Keep it simple.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Worried about where your water comes from? Collect the run off from your home A/C, filter it and it's good to go.
(keeping the A/C unit relatively clean)

We had a water main down the street rupture and blow a 10x10 section of asphalt into the air. 2 days without water. We learned to adapt. The a/c put out about 5 gallons on a hot day here. More than enough to water our gardens.

deerock

deerock

I would like to offer some humble advice, because I believe I had the same problems as you. You have/had the start of a magnesium deficiency, typical of coco. My solution so far has been to feed stronger and earlier, and to add some epsom salt (about 1 gram per gallon of water). The problem is most people will recommend adding calmag. I'm using 2 part Megacrop (basically a clone of Jacks), which already has a good amount of calcium in it. Using calmag to fix the magnesium deficiency also gave my plants excess calcium, which then caused a potassium deficiency. I incorrectly diagnosed the potassium deficiency as nutrient burn and was scared to increase the EC high enough to get healthy green leaves. I ended up with light green plants and deficiencies until a few weeks into veg, at which point I had slowly raised the EC as the plants grew bigger. Since I switched from calmag to epsom salt I have had zero magnesium deficiencies. My plants have never been healthier or happier.

Also if your water is over say .3 EC it doesn't leave you enough room for your nutrient mix while staying within reasonable EC. You discovered this with your .7 EC water taking up most of your overall EC. I use one of these cheap "AQUATICLIFE RO Buddie" RO filters from Amazon. It will last a very long time for a 4 plant grow without needing replacement filters. I've been using mine for about 4 grows now on the original filters, and I use it to fill jugs for drinking water too. I have the 100 gpd one and it can make 5 gallons of RO in less than an hour. You can connect it to your kitchen sink, hose faucet, etc. They make a 50 gallon per day one that's cheaper, too.

Otherwise your plants look really good. Don't overthink things too much. Keep your VPD correct, keep up indirect airflow, and you won't have to worry about too much else. If you see magnesium deficiencies, treat it with epsom salt, unless you actually see signs of a calcium deficiency as well.

Last edited:
Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

I would like to offer some humble advice, because I believe I had the same problems as you. You have/had the start of a magnesium deficiency, typical of coco. My solution so far has been to feed stronger and earlier, and to add some epsom salt (about 1 gram per gallon of water). The problem is most people will recommend adding calmag. I'm using 2 part Megacrop (basically a clone of Jacks), which already has a good amount of calcium in it. Using calmag to fix the magnesium deficiency also gave my plants excess calcium, which then caused a potassium deficiency. I incorrectly diagnosed the potassium deficiency as nutrient burn and was scared to increase the EC high enough to get healthy green leaves. I ended up with light green plants and deficiencies until a few weeks into veg, at which point I had slowly raised the EC as the plants grew bigger. Since I switched from calmag to epsom salt I have had zero magnesium deficiencies. My plants have never been healthier or happier.

Also if your water is over say .3 EC it doesn't leave you enough room for your nutrient mix while staying within reasonable EC. You discovered this with your .7 EC water taking up most of your overall EC. I use one of these cheap "AQUATICLIFE RO Buddie" RO filters from Amazon. It will last a very long time for a 4 plant grow without needing replacement filters. I've been using mine for about 4 grows now on the original filters, and I use it to fill jugs for drinking water too. I have the 100 gpd one and it can make 5 gallons of RO in less than an hour. You can connect it to your kitchen sink, hose faucet, etc. They make a 50 gallon per day one that's cheaper, too.

Otherwise your plants look really good. Don't overthink things too much. Keep your VPD correct, keep up indirect airflow, and you won't have to worry about too much else. If you see magnesium deficiencies, treat it with epsom salt, unless you actually see signs of a calcium deficiency as well.
Thanks mate that's awesome. Definitely can see those magnesium deficiencies in that bit of yellowing. I think as you say a big part of that is hard water talking up way too much of my EC. I'm gonna check that unit out. To be fair usually water here is 0.2 but heavy rains have washed a lot into/off the pipes. How would calcium deficiency show up as a point of difference from Mg deficiency? It's sort of more spotty and brown and blotchy isn't it?

Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

So began LST on my big girl. The first node shoots were getting way above the top leaves so I've gently pulled them down and to the side of the big fan leaves sightly. Used very thick padded wire, no tension on it. Would love to know if I'm on the right track or need to adjust it.

New shoots at the top - pretty curled no? I've never topped before, or grown for that matter so don't know what's normal. But looks like nitrogen claw. Pretty sure those stupid 4mm tee spouts were creating channels through the Coco that were loaded wth nutes but all the dry pockets were watering down the EC runoff. I was going 2.1 and getting 1.3, but pretty sure it was building up the whole time. I did a flush last night with quarter strength nutes and Zym as I had some root damage from overwatering. I'm now giving A+B with cannazym and a small amount of rhizo at 1.8, returning 1.5. But thinking this girl may have had too much at some point? Looks pretty clawed..

B4EAEFF2 5DB2 40D5 8493 5B9F912C38BA
757B90A9 5D9E 48F6 944E 23F0DC10B583
824A8D77 DF0E 474A 9596 71E6052C3C4B
89B489BD 5AE3 40F1 9AA4 C575C105587C
03EE04DA DE98 4E20 B106 B289D450E6FF
20BFA00A 4CF3 4416 B918 CC9B12FEAB65
D0E3E78C A5A4 4EC4 93F3 9216FE1B8DF7
Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

Found a small 5-stage RO made locally, cost me $130 delivered. Can do 70 gal a day. I would never have bothered with it if the local water was still at 0.2 but 0.7 leaves me no room for actual Nutes within my max EC, all full of carbonates and shit. Gonna use that exclusively and just have total control over what goes in the water. Pretty sure all the stuff in the water I've been giving them has locked out Magnesium and that's why I'm getting some yellowing. I've got some rainwater I collected over the last few weeks so I'll use that until the RO gizmo gets here :). Between the weird watering issues with the 4mm tube (now replaced by the halos in the picture, and the heavy water, I reckon I've started to show some sort of nutrient issue since the photos you saw where you said all looked good. Mainly just on this one plant, the new growth looks like it's got nutrient claw or something? Interested to see what you think. This was topped 72 hours ago btw

IMG 1305
IMG 1306
Justlovetogrow

Justlovetogrow

Iā€™m no expert thatā€™s for sure but imo 1.8 ec at this stage of veg is rediculous high Iā€™m lucky to get to 1.8ec on full bloom nutes doesnā€™t have leaf tip burn though so who knowsšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø good luck with it matešŸ‘also I donā€™t c any perlite or clay balls in your coco so Iā€™d be careful how much your watering people will tell u you canā€™t overwater coco well I beg to differ especially when the plants are small

Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

Iā€™m no expert thatā€™s for sure but imo 1.8 ec at this stage of veg is rediculous high Iā€™m lucky to get to 1.8ec on full bloom nutes doesnā€™t have leaf tip burn though so who knowsšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø good luck with it matešŸ‘also I donā€™t c any perlite or clay balls in your coco so Iā€™d be careful how much your watering people will tell u you canā€™t overwater coco well I beg to differ especially when the plants are small
If I did just the recommended dose of A+B I'd be over 1.8. Starting water EC is 0.7 don't forget :)

Texasdigger35

Texasdigger35

Can you suggest a simple solution for this? I'm just getting my water off an outside hose. I put a small RV system filter on there but then realised it only really takes out particles and maybe some chlorine. Didn't drop EC one bit. I'm assuming it needs RO, what about one of the ones for a tap system that has the double filter with the carbon filter? Anyone know if they will drop EC?
My tap water is pretty crappy too.
Ph 8.4
Ec varies between .55 - .65

We have lil kiosks around d town that sanitize the water. Its 1 buck per 5 gallon. I get 3 at a time and make 30 gallons with a half n half tap/watermill. This puts it in a better range to start mixing. To me its the best of both worlds because some will say RO is too clean.
This is especially important if I'm feeding heavy to control ec and ph down.
I've also had Ro filters years and years ago n used them successfully minus the occasional mini flood. It's really a matter of how much water you need and if you feel comfortable buying the water.

Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

My tap water is pretty crappy too.
Ph 8.4
Ec varies between .55 - .65

We have lil kiosks around d town that sanitize the water. Its 1 buck per 5 gallon. I get 3 at a time and make 30 gallons with a half n half tap/watermill. This puts it in a better range to start mixing. To me its the best of both worlds because some will say RO is too clean.
This is especially important if I'm feeding heavy to control ec and ph down.
I've also had Ro filters years and years ago n used them successfully minus the occasional mini flood. It's really a matter of how much water you need and if you feel comfortable buying the water.
I've ordered this little one from online that will do more than what I need. I think even at max I'll need 20 gal a day, if that. I'm gonna probably do the same, mix RO with some tap. It's just crazy fluctuation going from 0.2 to 0.7 in a couple weeks, can't have that sort of variability in my inputs. RO will give me the control I need, at least for now while I'm learning.

Texasdigger35

Texasdigger35

I've ordered this little one from online that will do more than what I need. I think even at max I'll need 20 gal a day, if that. I'm gonna probably do the same, mix RO with some tap. It's just crazy fluctuation going from 0.2 to 0.7 in a couple weeks, can't have that sort of variability in my inputs. RO will give me the control I need, at least for now while I'm learning.
Cool, so the lil filters machine doesn't hold too much water... maybe a quarter gallon at most that it has ready to go for you. Plus its real slow to filter. The one I had, had a little trigger on dispenser I would pull back, pin it and just let it trickle into a resevior. But be careful, there's no safety to shut it off when ur container is full. If you forget, and I would, lil mini flood happens šŸ˜±. That makes doing this outside or in a sink the better options. Also don't use a saddle tee to hook into water lines. Use a real tee under sink or something.

Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

Cool, so the lil filters machine doesn't hold too much water... maybe a quarter gallon at most that it has ready to go for you. Plus its real slow to filter. The one I had, had a little trigger on dispenser I would pull back, pin it and just let it trickle into a resevior. But be careful, there's no safety to shut it off when ur container is full. If you forget, and I would, lil mini flood happens šŸ˜±. That makes doing this outside or in a sink the better options. Also don't use a saddle tee to hook into water lines. Use a real tee under sink or something.
Good advice. The one I've got is a portable one that has a diversion fitting for a standard house tap or a 1/2" garden tap fitting. Operates via mains pressure and produces up to 295 litres a day so they say. We'll see. :)

Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

It's a 5-stage that they say will get TDS down by 96%. Even if it can get me down to 0.1-0.2 I'll be happy

Latest posts

Top Bottom