Oxygenation And Nutrient Uptake - O2 Generators Vs Air Pumps

• Thread starter J Henry
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

J Henry

Do not sniff pure or extremely high levels of CO2... one single inhalation can knock you unconscious.
CO2 is poisonous. It will make your lips turn dark blue and can kill you too. CO will kill you too and it will not make your lips turn dark blue. It's often the gas of choice for suicide.

ken dog

ken dog

Thanks a lot.
"1. increased DO levels, much beyond the 7-8mg/l"
If this is correct, this very easy to do. 15-17 PPM DO should absolutely prevent the root rot.

With all the root rot problems I hear about, the biggest problem is clearly low oxygen, seldom enough oxygen and I've never heard of anyone having any problem from too much oxygen. Do you know anyone personally that ever had a problem with too much oxygen? I personally know of none.

Absolutely yes I know of several people that have (potentially), had problems with too much oxygen... All those people run Current Culture systems. That is why Current Culture recommends lowering the EC significantly.

I say potentially, because no, they did not have problems... because they lowered their EC before they started.

The point is, you can theoretically raise your oxygen content so high, any nutrients at all will fry your plants.

40BRIX

40BRIX

Absolutely yes I know of several people that have (potentially), had problems with too much oxygen... All those people run Current Culture systems. That is why Current Culture recommends lowering the EC significantly.

I say potentially, because no, they did not have problems... because they lowered their EC before they started.

The point is, you can theoretically raise your oxygen content so high, any nutrients at all will fry your plants.

There's a study on root respiration and DO levels, with the higher DO the rate of transpiration increased almost 20%, so you would need to reduce your PPM of nutrients quite a lot, but that's not a bad thing, it can save $$$

G gnome

G gnome

CO2 is poisonous. It will make your lips turn dark blue and can kill you too. CO will kill you too and it will not make your lips turn dark blue. It's often the gas of choice for suicide.
What? I think u mean co3. Haha

stutter

stutter

your not going to reach the DO levels your speaking of. there is only so much d/o water can hold before it becomes saturated.

you should be aiming for around 8-10mg/l DO

basically that means you need to get temps down to around 50f to 60f if my conversion is right 15c to 20c where i come from.

do that and have an adequate system for getting the oxygen into the water and your plants will thrive.
also i would steer clear of anything organic or anything that contains sugars or carbs if your in DWC

stutter

stutter

i would argue that is not a problem caused by too much oxygen.

i believe what he meant was would having too much oxygen in your water harm the plants and the answer is no because at a certain point the water becomes saturated and will accept no more oxygen and really every hydroponic system should be aiming to achieve saturation anyway.

J

J Henry

I'm much more interested in the non theoretical facts regarding this matter vs. the theoretical stuff. So, in your opinion, what DO saturation is too high? At what
DO supersaturation does "too much oxygen" actually become a toxicity issue with DWC cannabis?
Does DO supersaturation have a negative effect on beneficial microbes?
How low was the EC?
Thanks

J

J Henry

your not going to reach the DO levels your speaking of. there is only so much d/o water can hold before it becomes saturated.

you should be aiming for around 8-10mg/l DO

basically that means you need to get temps down to around 50f to 60f if my conversion is right 15c to 20c where i come from.

do that and have an adequate system for getting the oxygen into the water and your plants will thrive.
also i would steer clear of anything organic or anything that contains sugars or carbs if your in DWC
Everyone seem to pump plenty of air and totally rely on a DO Chart that tells them what the DO should be.
If you are a DWC gardener... have you ever actually measured your DO saturation in your nutrient solution with a DO Meter or chemical test?
Or do you just use a DO Chart?
I see no reason why anyone cannot have 15-18 PPM DO concentration I talked about, unless your are ham-strung and totally limited simply by what the DO chart says?
Why would you let a DO Chart limit and control the DO saturation they wanted to have in their DWC? Is the DO chart your limiting factor for oxygenation? There is a whole new world outside the limitations of the chart.

stutter

stutter

I don't bother with a chart or a DO meter. I have been doing this thing I do for decades and I know from hands on experience. Drop Temps and flume your water and your all good

J

J Henry

I don't bother with a chart or a DO meter. I have been doing this thing I do for decades and I know from hands on experience. Drop Temps and flume your water and your all good
Sounds good.

Top Bottom