Parsley Tea/extract

• Thread starter jonnyonthespotaz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jonnyonthespotaz

jonnyonthespotaz

so I was out doing a little weeding the other day and saw the 3 Bunche sf flat leaf parsley I planted and had already chopped down twice this year and got to thinking..I wonder f u could make a tea or extract with this and use it in a tea to benefit our plants..so I googled flat leaf parsley benefits and this is what I found..lets hear some thoughts and opinions om this..

Parsley (Petroselinum crispum), Fresh, Nutrient value per 100 g /p>

Principle Nutrient Value Percentage of RDA
Energy 36 Kcal 1.5%
Carbohydrates 6.33 g 5%
Protein 2.97 g 5%
Total Fat 0.8 g 3%
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g 8.5%
Vitamins
Folates 152 µg 38%
Niacin 1.313 mg 8%
Pantothenic acid 0.400 mg 8%
Pyridoxine 0.090 mg 7%
Riboflavin 0.098 mg 7.5%
Thiamin 0.086 mg 7%
Vitamin A 8424 IU 281%
Vitamin C 133 mg 220%
Vitamin E 0.75 mg 5%
Vitamin K 1640 µg 1366%
Electrolytes
Sodium 56 mg 4%
Potassium 554 mg 12%
Minerals
Calcium 138 mg 14%
Copper 0.149 mg 16.5%
Iron 6.20 mg 77.5%
Magnesium 50 mg 12.5%
Manganese 0.160 mg 7%
Phosphorus 58 mg 8%
Zinc 1.07 mg 10%
Phyto-nutrients
Carotene-ß 5054 µg --
Crypto-xanthin-ß 0 µg --
Lutein-zeaxanthin 5561 µg

jonnyonthespotaz

jonnyonthespotaz

Absolutely I would use it! I'll use damn near anything to make plant teas with. :D

Since I'm pretty new to making teas..how would u suggest going about this?i don't have a pump or anything yet..could I just put some of the parsley in a 5 gallon pail cover with water and stir it whenever I go walk by it?how much material to water?and how long should I let it soak in there?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, first you're going to want to chop it up a bit, this will speed fermentation. Then you can choose to add some sugar of some sort, molasses is fine but any other dark sugar that's got some mineral content to it, and even table sugar will work here. Your goal here is to get both the plant juices going, and possibly to grow microbes. If you want microbes, add sugar. If you want to be able to dilute the tea, add sugar. If not, then don't.

Cover with water and put a cover on that, and wait. You can wait a day and try it, or a week, or a month. If using sugar you will probably want to wait so that any alcohols have a chance to dissipate, etc. Stirring can help get and keep things going as well as keeping it a little more on the aerobic side, but it's not absolutely vital.

The whole thing is really pretty open to playing around with, it's not like lactofermentation where we need to be very selective about what microbes start playing in the hooch, ya know?

jonnyonthespotaz

jonnyonthespotaz

So I finally got it started..I took between 15-20 oz of the flat leaf parsley, took the stems off and blended it up with about 6 cups h20 and added that slurry to roughly 3 gallons of water..it's sitting now and I stir it when I walk past it..in about another 24 hours I will strain it and I'll mix 1 cup of that to a gallon of water and test it out..I got the idea for the prep of it from CC on an a post he said using cilantro as an insecticide so I figured I'd just adapt it to my needs..when I use I'll take some before and after pics on the 2 plants that will b the test subjects..peace

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I just found out through my wild fermentation group that celery is high in nitrates. D'oh!

Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly

looks to be a good source of trace elements and a viable source of calcium . good stuff but i use my parsley for my scrambled eggs . Found similar elements in sage as well .

jonnyonthespotaz

jonnyonthespotaz

So I ended up giving her a go on a couple of plants..unfortunately I did not get any pics so I will do my best tomdescribe what happened..

I currently have 9 plants and I used 4 for the test subjects..they are all about 1 month old seedlings..my environment I was struggling for a min with trying to dial in(high temps, low humidity).. Btw I do have it under control,now but not when I did is experiment which coukd have affected the outcome..

The plants were experiencing leaf taco and this tea seemed to exaggerate it more as well as high ridges between the veins..they recovered nicely and r back on track..

Not very true results given the circumstances..maybe witht the environment under control again I will proceed once more and aim for better results..peace

keiksweat

keiksweat

So I ended up giving her a go on a couple of plants..unfortunately I did not get any pics so I will do my best tomdescribe what happened..

I currently have 9 plants and I used 4 for the test subjects..they are all about 1 month old seedlings..my environment I was struggling for a min with trying to dial in(high temps, low humidity).. Btw I do have it under control,now but not when I did is experiment which coukd have affected the outcome..

The plants were experiencing leaf taco and this tea seemed to exaggerate it more as well as high ridges between the veins..they recovered nicely and r back on track..

Not very true results given the circumstances..maybe witht the environment under control again I will proceed once more and aim for better results..peace
You think this helped the heat stress or not?

jonnyonthespotaz

jonnyonthespotaz

You think this helped the heat stress or not?

It's hard to tell to b honest with ya..I would have to say I don't think so tho..I think I will have to run some more experiments to get some true results..when I do I'll keep u posted tho

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl

Perhaps that's an indication of high NO3 levels. Interesting, and thanks for following up. :)

Top Bottom