• Thread starter dentonland
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Holy Crap!

Wow,
Denton. You must have some awesome weed, man!:bong2:

Because you must be high as hell if you think that a 1k light costs less at 120 than 240. Voltage x Amps = Wattage.
Ohm's law is a bitch, and you cant fuck with that. Voltage is current? You sniffin that glue again?

People,
I would strongly advise not taking any advice from this character!

B

Bobby Smith

Denton, that is some fucked up shit to be giving people bad advice about electrical - this isn't like giving bad advice that could have someone kill their plants, you're giving bad advice that could have someone kill their family.

That's pretty unforgiveable.

dentonland

dentonland

tRICHROME... explain this. went to pool pump reads 208 volt using 9.6 amps... THEN 230v uses 8.8 amps.
UR SO UNEDUCATED
GUESS WHAT... HIGHER VOLTAGE REQUIRES LESS AMPS. WHICH IS $
MAYBE YOU SHOULD REREAD WE ARE TALKING PUMPSSSSS. AND A,C

AMPS ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS

HIGHER THE VOLTS LESS THE AMPS
HIGHER THE VOLTS LESS THE AMPS
HIGHER YOU ARE THE LESS YOU UNDERSTAND:RastaBong:

dentonland

dentonland

Bobby MY BOY BOBBY
dont be a hater
i gave you sound advice
your obviously not who you pretend to be
DONT YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT MY ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS ?????????????????????

:sick0004:

B

Bobby Smith

No, your answers were entirely moronic (and you didn't actually answer me).

As the grownups on this thread have told you, amps do not equal money, kilowatt hours do - we all know this because we all pay our own electrical bill.

Next time your mother pays the bill, ask her if you can take a look before she throws it away and let us all know what you find out - in the meantime, stop pretending to be an electrician on weed sites where someone may actually believe your dumb ass.

U

Underground

Voltage is the electrical pressure Denton, current is the measure of electrical flow. They are entirely different. Voltage will exist in an open circuit, current will not.

You are correct that raising the voltage will make the device more efficient. In a 120 circuit you are drawing current from one phase. 240, well you're still only drawing off of one phase but we will pretend like a center tapped single phase transformer has two phases for ease of reading. 240 draws half the current from each phase. What others have tried and failed to explain to you is that you are charged by watts. Look at it this way. You have two separate circuits. One is a standard 20/1 circuit with two 60W lamps. The next circuit is a 20/2 mwb circuit. We are also running two 60W lamps here, one on each phase. In our first example we draw 120W on one phase. In the second example, we draw 60W on each phase, or a total connected load of 120W.
If the utility is supplying a higher nominal voltage your equipment will run more efficiently and cost less money, but we are talking variances in nominal voltage not a different voltage using different phases. That's apples and oranges.
PS I am a master electrician.

Dunge

Dunge

Underground my friend.
Give it up.
There is no way to teach such material in this way.
I understand what you have written, but that's only because I have a working understanding of the North American standard single phase 240V standard. (60 hertz nominal)
Read your post back and pretend that you don't understand the concepts. Not so, easy is it.
I have a pamphlet on basic house wiring that was a great help to me with its diagrams and charts.
Such material can often be found in hardware store electrical departments.
You almost asnwered my original question in this answer.
I wanted to know how the power meter worked.
Does it spin the same for for your 120W load as two 60W loads spread over the two legs?
People are very touchy about electricity, and rightfully so.
Good luck getting out of this thread in one piece.
No good deed goes unpunished.

motta-tokka

motta-tokka

*Efficiency is the same power wise on 220 vs 110.

*220 is much more dangerous than 110.

*In my opinion, 220 is best used for high load applications (if needed).

*Be careful with electricity and hire a professional if necessary or risk your LIFE!

Papa

Papa

Supporter
i just can't get over how ironic dentonland's signature is.

U

Underground

Underground my friend.
Give it up.
There is no way to teach such material in this way.
I understand what you have written, but that's only because I have a working understanding of the North American standard single phase 240V standard. (60 hertz nominal)
Read your post back and pretend that you don't understand the concepts. Not so, easy is it.
I have a pamphlet on basic house wiring that was a great help to me with its diagrams and charts.
Such material can often be found in hardware store electrical departments.
You almost asnwered my original question in this answer.
I wanted to know how the power meter worked.
Does it spin the same for for your 120W load as two 60W loads spread over the two legs?
People are very touchy about electricity, and rightfully so.
Good luck getting out of this thread in one piece.
No good deed goes unpunished.
Yes it will spin the same. If you have an old mechanical meter and flip it upside down it will run backwards, but I don't recommend it.

I was trying to explain it to Denton, as an electrician I'm sure he understood it and in fact it's probably easier to understand to him than laymen's terms. Because generally laymen's terms are full of misunderstandings and wrong vocabulary.

Like outlet, everybody thinks an outlet is a receptacle. It's not, I can't remember exact wording but an outlet is a point at which electricity is used. A receptacle (regardless of voltage or ampacity) is an outlet, a light is an outlet except that a light is a luminere not a light!

U

Underground

A lamp is what most people call a bulb. LOL

As far "not getting out of this thread alive" and people being sensitive, I don't really care and am not out to prove myself. I've literally forgotten more than most people will ever know about electricity. Stuff that makes your head spin like formulas for capacitive reactance and all the other irritating calc and trig shit. I could pick it all up again pretty easy, but only if I needed too. But I don't.

I know you guys think this stuff is scary, but try crawling around in the vault of piece of switchgear that's the size of tractor trailer with copper buses the size of 2 x 6s energized with 480. It's the wierdest feeling. Your whole head feels statically and the buzzing in the air will drive you nuts!

the rrock

the rrock

A lamp is what most people call a bulb. LOL

As far "not getting out of this thread alive" and people being sensitive, I don't really care and am not out to prove myself. I've literally forgotten more than most people will ever know about electricity. Stuff that makes your head spin like formulas for capacitive reactance and all the other irritating calc and trig shit. I could pick it all up again pretty easy, but only if I needed too. But I don't.

I know you guys think this stuff is scary, but try crawling around in the vault of piece of switchgear that's the size of tractor trailer with copper buses the size of 2 x 6s energized with 480. It's the wierdest feeling. Your whole head feels statically and the buzzing in the air will drive you nuts!

been there done that=rancho seco,tiamwan 1&2.metsamor, angra 2, going to Ukraine in June to start work on new reactor, nothing scares me anymore except lightning

W

weedfarm

Lets end this quick and i'll put it in big words

FIRST.. YES WE'RE BILLED BY KILO WATT HR.. IN THE U.S.A,
BUTTTTTTTTTT
240V RUNS AT A LESSER AMP WHICH MEANS IT PRODUCES LESS KILO WATTS!!!!!! HERE LOOK AT THISSS ....... KW IS $$$$ KW IS $$$$
240V MORE.. 120V LESS..

OHMS law buddy, watts = volts x amps. does not matter how you get there. do the math bud

SECONDLY
you responded that "your billed by voltage or current"
GUESS WHAT VOLTAGE IS CURRENT
but you wouldnt know that eh.....

umm no i didnt. here is what I said

You are billed by KW hr. That is 1000 watts per hour. You are billed by the power used, regardless of voltage or current

THIRD
take a load meter and put in on the white or black you instructed...
where at the panel
well.....
you wont get a reading testing the white wire... unhook it at the panel and
you'll fry everything..why dont you try that and prove me wrong..
and if you test your neutral at the fixture there's load no on it.
YOU NEED TO CHECK YOURSELF BEFORE YOU WRECK YOURSELF

Not at the panel, at the ballast. right before the ballast. No need to disconnect anything, the clamp meter goes around the wire, you wont blow anything. I was referring to 240V applications, I have never run my lights on 120

I am SO GLAD others are realizing what an idiot you are. I think the mods need to step in and ban you.

You are an idiot with no clue, or a troll trying to create problems. Either way your BS is going to kill someone or land them in jail

FWIW I am NOT an electrician, my BIL is. I know enough to do some side jobs here and there, and wire all my grows. I have installed all my sub panels, wired lighting ops with contactors,etc. I DO KNOW when I am unqualified to do a job or give advice. I suggest you do the same

U

Underground

Not at the panel, at the ballast. right before the ballast. No need to disconnect anything, the clamp meter goes around the wire, you wont blow anything. I was referring to 240V applications, I have never run my lights on 120

You can get an ampere rating on the neutral conductor anyway. That's another myth that a lot of people, electricians too, believe.

Found this
I note that in the US you have a 110-120 volt system whereas ours in Britain is 240 volts. Does this have any bearing on how much power identical appliances use in the two countries? James de Beresford, Nov. 2002

Good question. Despite the difference voltage, energy use is the same. You use more volts, but you also use less amps, so it evens out. For example, in the U.S. a device might use 120 volts x 2 amps = 240 watts. In Britain, that same device would use 240 volts x 1 amp = 240 watts. So energy use is the same.

And of course, costs are the same, because you're charged by the kilowatt-hour, not by voltage. (Well, the costs won't be exactly the same, because there's a different price for electricity in Britain....)
here when I googled electrical myths

W

weedfarm

tRICHROME... explain this. went to pool pump reads 208 volt using 9.6 amps... THEN 230v uses 8.8 amps.
UR SO UNEDUCATED
GUESS WHAT... HIGHER VOLTAGE REQUIRES LESS AMPS. WHICH IS $
MAYBE YOU SHOULD REREAD WE ARE TALKING PUMPSSSSS. AND A,C

what a tool.

here ya go BOY.
208 x 9.6 = 1996.8 WATTS
230 x 8.8 = 2024 WATTS

These are YOUR #'s.

wait. whats that? Oh snap higher voltage and less amps = MORE watts. Watts remember that? That's what the electric company charges you by.

GO CHECK YOURSELF BEFORE YOU WRECK YOURSELF LOL

BTW. If it was the same pump run on different voltages, the wattage should be the same. I assume the voltages were not measured or not accurately to the 10th

Pumps, AC's, Lights, fans, motors, air compressors, elevators, stoves, ovens, dryers, etc. It does not matter
HIGHER YOU ARE THE LESS YOU UNDERSTAND:RastaBong:

And you must be pretty damn high

There is no need to defend this guy. Oh hes an old timer, that's how they were taught, that's a myth that a lot of old timers believe etc. He has been shown COLD HARD proof in the #;s and still wants to yell and stomp his feet and insist he is right.

W

weedfarm

A

asmitty

This seems like a good place to ask. Would three 600 watt lights at 230volts work on a 20amp breaker?

Bit older wiring. But, still, That gives 120 watts to spare correct?

Im assuming I have 2400 wattx.8=1920 watts available...

Is that correct? thanks guys

Dunge

Dunge

VA=W
230 x 20 = 4600 Watt max power available through breaker.
3 - 600 watt lamps will use 1800 Watts.

H

hay

hello.
im speculating a set up which include
-400mh
-2x 45w cfl
-200gph magnetic pump
-1 big bubbler
-300cfm fan (in) plus 80scm fan buster (out) plus controllers for both (they give out heat so im sure they take energy)
-tri meter

can i run all this on one outlet receptacle. Trick is i dont know how many amps on the braker,(line) and dont want to ask.

if the line will not handle it- can i somehow joint 2 receptacle out of 2 locations or something similer.

ps:My greenhouse/box is contained in 1 unit...what gauge wire for all this do u recommend.

thanx hay

Latest posts

Top Bottom