People who have erradicated the dreaded spider mite for good please help.

• Thread starter Texian
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
urbanite420

urbanite420

All these chemicals!! predatory mites are wonderful! This place has probably the best deal: http://www.buglogical.com/spiderMiteControl_control_spiderMites/spiderMiteControl.asp

Order the triple species pack. It has the persimilis, occidentalis and californicus species if I remember correctly. They will eat all of your spider mites in 2 weeks or less.

There is also another method that is a bit controversial but is rather effective as a control measure as opposed to complete eradication. what you do is get a vacuume and put a 2-3 foot long, 4 inch wide adaptor nozzle on the hose. run it down the colas and those fuckers get sucked off the plant!

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

Predatory mites won't do well in an already infested garden, especially if you have a lot of plants. I feel they are more of an expensive preventative, or an effective treatment for smaller gardens. A vacuum is sometimes the only possible treatment if you are close to harvesting. They will slow mites down, but definitely not get rid of them. I think the most effective treatment is to rotate your foliar applications. For example Floramite, then Azamax or Azatrol, then something else. Never use only one, because the mites can quickly become resistant. I am beginning to see floramite resistant mites. The only thing I can think of doing in that case is to completely bleach sterilize your rooms and eradicate the mites completely from all living plants, with a mixed barrage of sprays. Leave not a single one behind to carry on those resistant genes.

clandestino

clandestino

anybody heard of dusting plants with diatomaceous earth? my local garden store organic guru says the microscopic crystals in the DE pierce the mites skin on contact and kill them also not great for human lungs.

M

Mad Farmer 1620

Yes if you treat them properly with azamax... it will be the fatal blow. You SHOULD also foliar spray the undersides as well with a little bit of azamax as a additional measure to disrupt breeding and spreading. Keep the area clean and you will be good.

Azamax works wonders also I spray dr.doom all around the outside of my rooms just in case any of those little bastards are hanging around outside. This also is my first time dealing with them man these things suck

yo azamax plus maybe a fogger and you should be good. the fda i guess has banned the good bug bombs and i assume since its federal its the same all over the country. whatever just get the strongest fogger you can buy and keep it sealed for as long as you can. my local grow shop also recommended to me these bug strip things they sell at lowes. its funny because recently they started selling them for like 2 bucks more at their shop. they are found by the bug control stuff and come in a blue package i forget the name and brand they look like a big glade plug in and you just hang them. i had bad mites and they are completely gone now. good luck!

I recently contracted my first case of spider mites. In my case there were no outside clones or plants brought in. Almost certainly they hitchhiked in on me, after I visited a grow store, compassion club, friend's house, or something like that.

I don't have a full use report yet, but I've been encouraged to use 'Mite-Rid'. It's recently become available in my area, and a few growers I've talked to swear by it. We'll see.

Mite-Rid.png

Well my boy told me Azamax was the cure all until his mites never went away! That was last year. I've never tried the Mite rid but I have used Floramite in the past but they were resistant. Here is my 1 2 Punch that I personally stand behind will work for you!

You'll need to get forbid, they sell 15mls of the stuff at greencoast hydro if you ask for it for $50. Mix 1.25 ml to 1 gal. of reduced ph water 4.0. Spray the bottoms of your your plants leaves from bottom to top then spray the tops of the leaves from top to bottom. 1 week later repeat this process. It is important not to go below 4.0 otherwise you will have burn spots on your leaves due to the acidity. Now spider mites have a tendency to build up an immunity to insecticides so there may be a few strong fighting bastards that pull thru and breed and create a super species of spidermites you will never get rid of. So to prevent this, order some Persimilis predatory mites 2 weeks after final treatment 1000 per 8x8 room. They come in a container that looks like a spice shaker. (They go for $33 per 1000.) Go ahead and sprinkle the little cannables on all your plants and they will never come back again I guarantee it! So for under a hundred bucks you have your cure. Make sure to treat only with the lights off. IMHO

M

Mad Farmer 1620

anybody heard of dusting plants with diatomaceous earth? my local garden store organic guru says the microscopic crystals in the DE pierce the mites skin on contact and kill them also not great for human lungs.

Na, don't even waist your time with that BS. The same dude that can't get rid of his mites tried that on his fungus gnats and they still thrived. They were doing swan dives thru the Diatinacious Earth and swimming around in it. IMHO

H

haole

I like bayer forbid, also on ebay. After harvesting flowering plants, spray on all plants about to flower, bleach/clean everything, should be eradicated.

I let my friend give me this tray of clones recently, horribly neglected, covered in webs. I sprayed em once with forbid when I got em home six weeks back, haven't seen a mite since. :rock

M

Mad Farmer 1620

I like bayer forbid, also on ebay. After harvesting flowering plants, spray on all plants about to flower, bleach/clean everything, should be eradicated.

I let my friend give me this tray of clones recently, horribly neglected, covered in webs. I sprayed em once with forbid when I got em home six weeks back, haven't seen a mite since. :rock

Yes sir, Forbids the way to go! Just make sure u lower ph to 4.0 in spray. I follow up with predatories just as a precautionary measure as well and to keep the spread of Forbid resistant spidermites u should to!

H

haole

Yes sir, Forbids the way to go! Just make sure u lower ph to 4.0 in spray. I follow up with predatories just as a precautionary measure as well and to keep the spread of Forbid resistant spidermites u should to!

Thanks for the tips... might hafta go that route next time around, although skipping the pH adjustment and predators worked last time, best to be as careful as possible next time. :drunk

Giddeon

Giddeon

I have tried the Co2 method of gassing out my room to kill spider mites.

I have a 12x15x7.5 sealed room I used a NG-36 Co2 burner which got the room to 10,000+ppm for around 6 hours, then the room was exhausted, When I cam back mites were still alive and seemed to multiply.

Does it matter wether or not you use bottled Co2 or a burner??

Thanks for any Help,
G

M

Mad Farmer 1620

I have tried the Co2 method of gassing out my room to kill spider mites.

I have a 12x15x7.5 sealed room I used a NG-36 Co2 burner which got the room to 10,000+ppm for around 6 hours, then the room was exhausted, When I cam back mites were still alive and seemed to multiply.

Does it matter wether or not you use bottled Co2 or a burner??

Thanks for any Help,
G

I don't think a burner would work, reason being a burner needs oxygen to burn. As soon as all the ogygen in the room depleats, your burner should go out, but as long as that burner is still burning there is still oxygen in the room. A friend of mine used the Co2 method and he said it killed them in 6 minutes. He just took 2 tanks in his room and basically just opened them all the way up and left the room sealed. I've never used the Co2 method so I'm no expert on it but I know there's more than 1 way to skin a cat.

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

the co2 method works if you have a small room or alot of bottled co2. I dumped one 20lb tank in a 430 cubic ft room (72 sq ft, ok a damn 6ft X 6ft X 12ft) and it did the job to kill the living mites. It doesn't effect the eggs, so you'll still need something else to kill the eggs. Here's where the problem lies, you don't wanna use anything of that pesticide crap in flower. you'll have to keep bombing the room with C02 once every week or two until harvest. Keep your temps in the 70's or below to keep them from breeding so damn fast between bombings.

Only ovicides like forbid kills the eggs on your plant. Bleach or acid will scramble the eggs elsewhere. cleanliness is the best solution.

Mites love to lay their eggs in dirt. Every time I've grown with soil indoors once I get mites in the place they never go away untill all of the soil is removed. I stick to hydroton indoors, I've never had mites become a problem with hydroton unless the grow house wasn't kept clean. I put my dirt where it belongs, in the sun.

After a mite infestation using dirt I cleaned the crap out of the place, rooted clones (sprayed with pesticide) in aero and finished them in dwc with hydroton. The mites didn't come back until I got an infected plant. I threw it out and the mites were much easier to get rid of than if it had been a dirt grow. they didn't come back after that. No more strange plants.

Mites can live in any dirty little nook or cranny in your place and eventually find their way back to the plants.

You can also use a steam buggy or a steam generator of some sort to just cook the little bastards from your space and your equipment

Mites really like carpet and cats for some reason...

If you're using dirt, root your ovicide sprayed clones in aero (not even rockwool) and throw out or use outside ALL dirt in your grow new or old. You'll have to make new mothers and take your mothers somewhere else, the dirt is infested with eggs and can't properly be treated to kill eggs even with an ovicide. Start over with fresh dirt.

Mites can also be living all over your bushes outside, ect. If you get them once chances are they're somewhere else waiting to come back so clean and spray everything you can possibly think of.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
your not gonna be able to get rid of them in flower let the run finish and start from there. chuck everything you are not gonna use. floramite the plants you keep. your gonna have some down time but if you do it right you can get away with 2-3 weeks unless its a larger grow. when i get new clones i put them in my isolation room and treat then every day for 3 weeks with just neem and i wash the leaves daily with water under the faucet. then i let them sit untreated for 2 weeks to make sure there is no mites before i bring them to the room.

hit your moms with floramite after a week or 2 take some cuts of your moms you are keeping. take a bunch of the plant you want to run in the room when they are treated. wash them everyday make sure they are mite free. clean the hell out of your room i would use a bleach/water mix but that's just me. run your lights for a week with nothing in the room if you are worried about some sort of gassing off from the bleach. then start your next run while it is flowering should give your new moms time to establish some size and your good to go.

B

Buddy Hemphill

No Pest strips.

I had them in my mom room and flower. I waited until after I chopped and put 1 in the mom room and two in the flower. I've had new cuts in there for 2 weeks and flower is clean. The moms look like they were never there.

Unless they come back and these things stop working...I'll never quit using them. After almost killing my shit with Azamax and trying several other products I said, what the hell? I'll try them....and they work. I am in norcal. The power of the force runs deep in these borgs. So far, so good.

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

Buddy, I had mites become resistent to no pest strips. they made webs ON a fresh strip when I left them hanging for a few weeks with my ventilation on! Use them like a bomb; turn off your ventilation and don't leave them hanging for more than 2-3 days and put them in a ziploc when you're done.

M

Mad Farmer 1620

your not gonna be able to get rid of them in flower let the run finish and start from there. chuck everything you are not gonna use. floramite the plants you keep. your gonna have some down time but if you do it right you can get away with 2-3 weeks unless its a larger grow. when i get new clones i put them in my isolation room and treat then every day for 3 weeks with just neem and i wash the leaves daily with water under the faucet. then i let them sit untreated for 2 weeks to make sure there is no mites before i bring them to the room.

hit your moms with floramite after a week or 2 take some cuts of your moms you are keeping. take a bunch of the plant you want to run in the room when they are treated. wash them everyday make sure they are mite free. clean the hell out of your room i would use a bleach/water mix but that's just me. run your lights for a week with nothing in the room if you are worried about some sort of gassing off from the bleach. then start your next run while it is flowering should give your new moms time to establish some size and your good to go.

I'd agree with u Twist but the mites we had became Floramite resistant and were drinking that stuff up like it was water!

A

antimatter

My mites are weak and being sprayed with neem oil and dishsoap once a week makes them non existent up to week 5 of flower and even then they just don't spread or occupy many leaves. You guys must be running with some superbugs :bug

M

Mad Farmer 1620

My mites are weak and being sprayed with neem oil and dishsoap once a week makes them non existent up to week 5 of flower and even then they just don't spread or occupy many leaves. You guys must be running with some superbugs :bug

That's exactly what it is! In the Cali club scene u have all these shops carying clones either grown by themselves or provided by caregivers. Here's the problem, grower A has spider mites and trys to eradicate the problem with floramite. It works the first time. 3 months later the mites are back, so he uses floramite again. Now the spider mites are becoming resistant to the floramite. Grower A, not knowing what to do decides he needs to get rid of his garden and start over so he spreads his infested clones all over the Cali scene with Floramite resistant spider mites. Grower B, decides he would like to grow somethig differen't so he purchases a new hot strain from one of the clubs Grower A vended to not knowing the clones were infested. Grower B now has an epidemic on his hands and doesn't even know it, and probably wont for a couple weeks, by then Grower B's hole garden is infested. The cycle continues or....

A

antimatter

That's exactly what it is! In the Cali club scene u have all these shops carying clones either grown by themselves or provided by caregivers. Here's the problem, grower A has spider mites and trys to eradicate the problem with floramite. It works the first time. 3 months later the mites are back, so he uses floramite again. Now the spider mites are becoming resistant to the floramite. Grower A, not knowing what to do decides he needs to get rid of his garden and start over so he spreads his infested clones all over the Cali scene with Floramite resistant spider mites. Grower B, decides he would like to grow somethig differen't so he purchases a new hot strain from one of the clubs Grower A vended to not knowing the clones were infested. Grower B now has an epidemic on his hands and doesn't even know it, and probably wont for a couple weeks, by then Grower B's hole garden is infested. The cycle continues or....

Id be pissed, never have I used floramite in my life but ive never had these super mites before but then again I spend a good deal of time drenching my plants with neem/dishsoap once a week. Maybe some guys get lazy and figure oh i'll just knock em out with this much more powerful chemical that I only have to apply once and next thing you know boom super mites. Im all for a little bit more work and regular mites.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
just shut down and get rid of them why keep treating them anyway.

Top Bottom