Perpetual Micro SCROG + Introductionm + Journal

• Thread starter stupidthing
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

stupidthing

Perpetual Micro SCROG

There isn't a "Introduce yourself" board. So I will take this opportunity to do that.
I have a few grows under my belt, but that was about 7 years ago when I dismantled because I moved.
During that time I build a grow box for a good friend (he helped). He started some seedlings, then got cold feet. about a year later he moved way south, and dismantled the box. I saved it before he trashed it. It has been sitting in my dirt floor shed for the last 2 years.

Fast forward to today, I am in the middle of a renovation.

I came across some Strawberry Kush seeds. Only two sprouted. I should have built the box before I planted, but I am impatient. Because I didn't have all the stuff I originally built the box with, things were chaotic, patched and thrown together. I was making due, but I knew thing could be better. So this is a Do Over.

The bloom room 27.5" x 22" x 22.5" to the bottom of the hood. The hood has 150 watt HPS. And will shortly be cooled and sealed from the room. It (the hood) sits up in the utility room, which is 4" high.
The utility room houses the ballasts, air pump, timers, and wiring ( bet you knew that). It also will hold the carbon filter. the fan is external and connected to a central manifold (for lack of a better term). the space above both chambers and the HPS hood are connected to the manifold via PVC elbows. Sliding door vents will open and close these ports to restrict air flow from one chamber or another as needed to maintain proper temps.
The veg/clone room is four 27 watt CFLs. Maybe one day I'll use 2 remote ballast LED with a separate clone room. But I think I can do it this way for now.

The flower buckets are 2.5 gallon rectangle. They are near perfect size for the space. One plant per bucket of course. That screen frame is a prototype. The finished product will be made from 1/8" carbon fiber rod used for model airplanes. Each screen is 12.5" x 11". With the PVC, 1 inch in either direction is taken up by frame. giving my like .7 sq feet. hence the carbon frame in the works @ .93 sq ft.

Mother will be in a 1.3 gallon Rubbermaid, and I haven't settled on a clone pot yet. I will veg and train a mother until just the right size, take cutting and move it to flower.

I hope that every two or three weeks, one pot goes into flower and one come out. I also hope for 2 oz each screen. I'm using Pure Blend Pro nutes. I had really good luck with them last time.

Feel free to make suggestions or critique. One thing I would like to change is a separate clone chamber on top of the veg chamber. That would keep the cutting warm. I'm having low temp trouble now and it's taking for ever. Meanwhile the moms are getting big. I don't know which mom I'm keeping yet. going go wait for smoke vs yield report. One is nearly twice as big as the other. but if the other smokes better, it's the keeper.
I will keep this updated as needed.

Oh yeah, sorry I'm so wordy when I'm high.

CIMG0274
CIMG0273
CIMG0269
CIMG0271
CIMG0272
Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Welcome to the farm. I love boxes and have a couple myself. Your pvc pipe light blocks are very effective. The trouble I see with yours is that they fit under the box and you have a space under the box they fit in but they have to draw their air from whatever airspace is between the bottom wood and the floor. I think you need to take the bottom back piece off or put some 2x4 under the box so it rest up off the floor and the exhaust fan can suck all the air it needs and the box will stay much cooler.

I like your pots with a pvc scrog or tie down. I will enjoy watching this grow,

S

stupidthing

Thanks guys.

Right now it runs too cool. the veg chamber @ the top of the plants is 75 degrees F. the water stays a chilly 60-64 degrees. That's why I want the light hoods air cooled and the adjustable vents for the chambers.

Don't worry about the air flow 8th Man. It's hard to tell in the pic, but the back is cut out, the bottom sealed with 1/8 birtch, and I can place one of those cut to fit air filters to it as a pre filter. I also have hepa filter covers for the passive intakes in the floor. But I don't think I'll need 'em.

Today I came home to some anticipated orders. Unfortunately I choose and ordered incorrectly. The air pump I bought is way too much pump for my needs. I needed 6 ports. bought a 20 watt commercial pump with six ports, but the thing makes the whole room smell like fresh tires :mad0233:and is a little louder than the three pumps I currently have. I think I can inflate my truck tires with this thing.
Also the HPS bulbs I ordered have the wrong stupid socket. Maybe they will let me trade.
got my veg buckets right though. :)
So Much work to do to get this thing running properly. still have to change the way the HPS hood vents, finalize the wiring, wire a dedicated power line to the location with UPS back up. Build the carbon fiber frames for the screens. Several things I'm forgetting or haven't thought of yet I'm sure. Currently my girls are hanging out under half their normal light in a patched up tent made from the mylar I pulled out of the box. No shop to work in, just a carport that faces most of the neighborhood in winter. My timing never was any good.

What do you think I can yield from one square foot screen 8 inches under 300 watts?

Thanks again for you encouragement.

S

stupidthing

Things are not going as planed.

Been a hard week. and it's only Monday. Turns out I made a few mistakes that I'm paying for now.

My two 150w lights in the bloom room are burning 370 watts each. I thought HPS is HPS, so a pair of security lights fit the pocket book, at the time. But there is something morally wrong about wasting so much electricity. So now I'm in the market for a single 250w. I wish I could go LED. But the accountant has authorized one more $200 Amazon bill. Any more I have to start selling my body to pay for it.

Also, in my haste after learning that the single hydro store in my town closed during the recession, I built a bubbler using coco fiber and vermiculite in the 4" net pot. Now my plants are over watered. I thought that stuff couldn't be over watered. That's a double whammy! Two wrongs in one go. :confused0054:
So, because I wanted to further punish them, last night I held them upside down and removed as much of the mix as I could with the kitchen sink sprayer. I think I got about half. None at the bottom where it counts. covered up with soaked hydroton. After 24 hours there is no change except the pH dipped to 4.5. Hope they get better. They won't clone, I don't think it will do much for flower them. We'll see what happens.

It's only Monday. Might look better on Tuesday.

CIMG0288
S

stupidthing

You look at it. I see it every day.:) It's no better today either.

S

stupidthing

Today i transplanted both plants into 2 gallon soil pots. I I just left the net pot in place and buried it.
We'll see what happens.

dextr0

dextr0

Stupid,
have your plants been curling like that since day one?? I have a donatello that has a pheno that does it everytime, some more than others. Anyway dont matter what u do its in her genes.
rsz_166.jpg
big_don.jpg

S

stupidthing

No, not until about four weeks ago. I don't know what changed, but it has gotten worse. All the large fan leaves have dropped off. and now the smaller ones are doing the same.
I hope that once the soil dries out that the plant's start to recover.

S

stupidthing

I planted the net pots and all in 2 gallon soil containers the other day. I don't have a way to test soil pH and I'm not going to buy anything for it since soil is only staying long enough to clone these girls so I don't have to start over from seed. Once I have roots on clones I'll send these to flower just like they are. After they give up the booty, I will never have to grow with soil again.
Dirt is making my clean grow box all dirty.

S

stupidthing

Things look promising. I think the girls are making a come back. They do look better than a couple of days ago.

Im having troible uploading pics from my droid. Images coming soon.

Edit; ok the worst pic did upload. If you look closely, you can see that the leaves are starting to perk up and new growth is starting.

2011 02 06 193309
S

stupidthing

Horay! The girls are healthy again. :icon_spin:less than a week after transplanting to soil and new growth has started again, and the leaves have perked up.

I flipped them to 12/12 today,:party0042: and took cuttings. They will go dark @ 4 AM. I really debated about making the screen the full size and veg another week or so to cover the whole cabinet. But then i can't insert my new bucket to start the perpetual cycle.

I think they might be over grown for the screen.:worried
What do you think?
Take that screen out and just finish with out the screen?
Leave the screen as is, so i can add the next one in a month?
Or make a screen for the whole space and veg a little longer? (screws with timing)
The half screen is really thin in the back and crowded up front. I guess i could undo the few twist ties and maybe get better coverage by rotating the pots. i don't know if I would make it better or worse.
If you look at the front right corner of the screen you can see a barb fitting. I drilled holes in the PVC and I'm going to run a hose to a 2 gallon bottle of yeast. :muscleI don't know if it will help any. I guess I'll have to buy a meter to see if it's strong enough.

I have four cuttings from each plant. If they don't root, it's too bad. I'll have to pop some more seeds and start over.

My order for the carbon fiber rod has not made it yet. Neither has the 4" fans. I'm going to build a stand for the fans to stand in the middle with one fan pointed about 45* (from floor) in each direction. I can't describe it. I'll show you when the come in.

The 250 w lamp raised my temps a bit. Forgot to install the glass on the hood, (didn't need it with the 2 x 150s). After I installed that they dipped down to a comfortable 75.6*.

CIMG0301
CIMG0300
S

stupidthing

By the way. My handle (name) wasn't supposed to be Stupidthing.
I was trying to come up with a handle for like 30 minutes, kept getting rejected. Even though I couldn't find any of those handles being used. Out of frustration, I thyped Stupidthing and hit enter. Guess what, that's what worked.

Stupid thing.

Camdawg

Camdawg

i thought it might have been a simpsons quote but thats even better.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
I think you rushed putting them under 12/12. They weren't fully recovered yet and still had curled leaves. I never switch to 12/12 unless things look real good because the stress of flowering will accentuate any problems.

They probably got all curled like that due to ph problem and over watering. It is hard to over water coco but it isn't hard to over water vermiculite. The better mix is coco and perlite because perlite allows for more drying and draining of the coco. And even though it is difficult to over water coco I think straight coco with no perlite keeps the plant looking a bit over watered. Then when you mix it with vermiculite it can't be watered very often at all and that defeats the whole purpose of using coco. Coco grows are a potential advantage based on the fact you can water them a lot and give nutrients and almost get a hydro type growth rate.

Hopefully your plants will continue to recover and flower right for you. Good luck with the grow.

Top Bottom