Personal Cammo for you, not plants.

• Thread starter Kalcu
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

Kalcu

I'm curious about how dressed up and what precautions people take for their self when they go out for a check up or harvest.

I'm looking at some burlap, I want to at least cover my boots so I don't have to worry about leaving tread marks (damn mug shots with shoe prints in them).

Probably even some burlap to cover up my backpack, so some colors are not visible.

And I have even played around with the idea of making a ghillie suit. I have also been reading up on FLIR and tactics to blend in your heat signature as well as make it look obscure. A ghillie suit is about the best cammo one can have, of course you never ever buy one (unless a sniper made one and for some reason gave it to you).

Anyhow I am very curious and looking for some motivation. There are some issues with cammo (a getting caught with it on you) but mostly the burden of taking them with you to a location that you don't wear the things there.

If a cop was after you, sniper tactics are the best way to escape.......or avoid detection in the first place. Plus since people get really spooked about FLIR finding you and yes FLIR is good at that outside.....there seems to be some practical purposes to discussing hiding ourselves.

I think I might just stick with the burlap for the bag and my boots. But honestly, the idea of having my very own homemade ghillie suit someday is very enticing.

K

krom

Hi man, all this sounds a bit useless to me but if you want to buy a ghilie suit to visit your outdoor crop you can find some at special ops paintball website. They're designed to play woodball, but it's not so cheap.

K

Kalcu

No, I would not want to buy a ghillie suit.

Useless no but it really depends on your situation. If your trespassing you don't want to be seen in the area.

And yes even if you can be in the area, getting caught by cops and having nutrients or trimming shears on you is not a good thing (especially when they already found the plants).

I honestly think it's a little to over the top myself, but some techniques are not that bad to use. For one walking around with a flash light, or having bright colors on/or making noise.

You just really never know who may be looking out a window as you hike back, or who is walking around.

Dunno, but looking like a lump of moss would decrease paranoia unless you are just walking around and not creeping.

I can think of some corn fields around me that I would have to trespass a ways to get to. There are roads near by and some homes on the way up there.........it's right up a river.

Another spot is in a park, public parks can be great places to have some plants. Not really trespassing unless your caught out there at night........I wouldn't want to look funny being out there........but on the way to the corn field, big troubles being seen.

Especially on the way back from the field.......anyhow, just some thoughts. You can make a nice suit for super cheap, a really nice one that you can just leave out side and let "rot". Something that would make a FLIR system just not pick you up, your radiating temp would not be unusual. But at this time they don't fly FLIR around, sometimes military aircraft fly around with those systems (although I haven't seen one on an A10 yet, but with the Cobra gunships I'm pretty sure those have a system built in).

It hasn't come up as a necessary item, but it is sure in the deck of cards. Seriously though, a person in a suit next to a normally dressed person is invisible to a FLIR (if you designed it properly and in a natural environment).

K

kill-9

This is a funny thread. You can actually buy ghillie suits at army surplus stores and websites. Just get a cammo backpack and carry your gear in that. Then change once you're on site.

The boots are overkill, just buy some camo tennis shoes. They sell converse all stars chuck taylors with camo style. I got these long time ago cause I go camping alot as it is. You said just to check up on things, but if you're gonna be out there with the plants then go for the boots obviously.

hubcap

hubcap

i wear shoes that are 2 sizes too big and cover the soles in duct tape....;)

T

trichburner

How I do it .

Earth tone shirt i.e. tan , brown , green with no designs (don't wear black) and khaki cargo pants & a camo baseball hat . Tools are stashed on location that way I always come and go empty handed except at harvest which I always do after dark .

U

Ulysses

I have a ghillie suit, made it myself, authentic military style, let it sit in the rain and the mud, washed it, dried it, etc...

It's excellent when woven with indiginous foliage. BUT, it's really only useful if you are not moving ie. hiding... It's hot. It's heavy. It snags on thorns. If LEO is standing right next to your patch and you are hiding in the weeds, he will spot you- you want to be out of there- don't hide.

CAUTION: The wearing of a ghillie suit may spark rumors of Bigfoot in your area. See Bigfoot is actually an oldshool guerilla farmer wearing a ghillie and shoes two sizes too big!

Best bet, is to get a nice Realtree longsleeve shirt- the different camo patterns are customized to your environment ie Hardwood, Wetland... An old pair of khakis and BOOTS, yes you will be wearing boots not tennis shoes in the wild! At least this way, it won't be obvious you are TRYING to hide something...

FLIR will 'see' you regardless of what you are wearing!

The gap between the civilian police force and the military continues to close...

B

Beeronymous

ooh ooh. carry a backpack like the dudes who go up Mount Everest have, have next to nothing in it, wear bright colors and aftershave and carry a roll of toiletpaper in your hand.I guarantee people will avoid you no matter what,and if anybody asks

YOU WERE TAKIN A DUMP!

also, wear really bright colors and make lots of noise

:banana:

K

Kalcu

I was going to get a tactical OD green bag, but I didn't want a military style bag. I just want to avoid the pack being noticed, it probably would of been no big thing but people notice small things.

One plot I have to travel through town at night to get to (harvest), so having anything that is not civilian could indicate that I am up to no good.

The burlap for the boots, is just for the tread, the soles and only for the grows in the corn fields. I can't grow this summer so I am just playing around, thinking of what to do and what not to do.

And yes Ulysses, I would never buy a ghillie suit but just make one like yours. I really believe that big foot is a grower, was he wearing the shoes to hide his description?

From what I read and have only read about, a ghillie suit with different local vegetation attached will blend in to the local environment (even with FLIR). Of course moving around would look unusual on a FLIR, but just hiding there it would be unlikely. The heat signature I think is just going to be a lot less, just having your eyes seen isn't going to be very much. It depends totally on the rating of you materials.......but then again it never made much sense and can't find this article to post a link. The guy that wrote it actually had as a job using FLIR for an electric company. I don't see how anything other than earth over you is going to hide your heat from radiating out.

And it's true, if you snuck up on a cop hiding in your patch your caught. But if you can run just a little bit away, you can hide enough to slow motion out of the area...........or just keep running, but it's good to calm down after out of the direct area. So you don't run into one of their pals.

I think I would only want a ghillie suit, if I were to know that they were trying to set me up or something sketchy has gone down....and I don't quite want to give up on the grow spot yet.......but just do a little recon and possible harvest.

The one grow that requires me to go through town (which isn't a problem with the ammo can to carry buds in).........could also be traveled to by taking a river also (a great old school way of traveling). But the river goes close to a highway, so cammo is very necessary.

I just find myself thinking what about this, and what about that. Mostly, what if I noticed cops out there or they snuck up on me but I got away. So I think about my "evacuation" routes..................the highest chance of all, is that I get some place sometimes and plants are missing.

But I do worry about cops putting up hunting cameras, I am very surprised that nobody has ever encountered those with a grow........I have no clue how far they transmit, that would be their downfall.

Oh ya and the burlap, also to hide a bike.......first I don't want anyone to find it in the morning when I am heading out. Second I don't want anyone to find it and ID me with it.

I just wouldn't be comfortable leaving a car out front at these grow sites at night, can't really hide a car at these places. Plus riding a bike at any time of day is not suspicious, but I did think nay on the tactical pack.......might look a little to "up to something".

That and I didn't need to carry 5 or six ammo cans at once, that is a lot of weight for miles. I'd rather carry a QP of wet bud and go back out every night for a couple of weeks.

K

kill-9

If they're looking for you in the mountains or heavy vegetation, they're gonna bring a dog. So carbon spray your unit. A camo backpack won't raise suspicions, trust me. I have one and I never get second glances...but then again, just depends on your paranoia.

F

Fear

Duct tape the bottom of your shoe to cover tracks. Also Travel like you are a hiker carry a backpack some walking stick binoculars. Fanny pack LOL:banana::banana1sv6:

Billygoat

Billygoat

You guys are a little to high right now. My point of view on this subject. Some of you might know this some of you might not know this.

I was a Company Sniper for a company in 3rd Ranger Battalion at Ft. Benning, GA. Also attended Airborne and Sniper school there. So, I know a little bit about camo and tracking. As a grower, this is what I would do when growing outdoors. Haven't done it in years, but this is my safe way of not getting caught or my plot being found.

First, stop all the talk about Ghillie suits and stuff. When going out to a grow site. You want to look normal. Wearing or having one of these suits with you only draws unwanted attention. This you do not want. Dress normal, dress as your going hiking, fishing, hunting, or bird watching. Not, like Tom Berenger in the movie. You want to carry yourself as your something else, not a grower.

The best camourflage skill I learned while serving in the army. Was the skill to carry yourself as something your not. This is a form of camourflage. You want to head out to your site. Wearing earthy color's. I personally like OD and brown, but this depends on the region I'm growing in. As for footwear and being tracked. The best thing one could do in this area of subject. Enter your site from different location everytime. This will help to reduce your chance of making a trail.

When your in sniper school and learning to stalk people. These things are what we call a worm trail. A worm trail can be another sniper crawling his way to thier sniper hide or a lightly pressed trail or track, IE soft plant material damage. Enter from different locations and wearing soft souls will reduce this allot. You got to remember, you are trying to reduce the chance of someone finding your location. People like, ripper's or johnny law. Wearing duct tape or anything over your souls is dangerous. Depending on the region again. You want to make sure your don't slip and fly off a cliff. Wear a soft soul, that has a less foot impression and you should be find. You can always wear a size or two larger like others have posted.

As for back packs and gear. Wear a earthy color pack. Try not to wear anything bright. A good bright color can be spotted about a mile or two out. Remember, bright color's and straight lines are man made. Mother nature did not make these, so someone looking for you with a little training will see these. Key word, "Earthy Color's" Try to blend in to your region without looking like your trying to do it. OD shorts, brown t-shirt, sun glasses, and maybe some HiTech sneaker boots or something along those lines. I'll try and dig up a old picture of me giving a class at Benning. I'm standing in a shadow about lunch time and no one can see me. Standing in the middle of a dirt road next to victory lake and plant BDU's and no one can see me. Earthy color's used right works.

As for FLIR, you don't have to worry about this during the day time. It's to hot out and really won't be able to pick you up on a scanner till around fall when it get's really color. When your body temp is high then everything around you.

This summer, with a couple of members here. I'll do a camo class for everyone. Will go out into the mountains and go over some basic "Do's and Don't". I'll do a thread with a bunch of pictures.

Well, this is my point of view. Not here to start any shit. Just trying to help out. Other's have already posted some great info. Hope everyone has a good spring plant and does well over the summer.
Take care,
BG

hubcap

hubcap

oh, this conversation is getting much deeper than it needs to be.

*starts snapping in and checks windage*

K

Kalcu

If they're looking for you in the mountains or heavy vegetation, they're gonna bring a dog. So carbon spray your unit. A camo backpack won't raise suspicions, trust me. I have one and I never get second glances...but then again, just depends on your paranoia.

Ya, I was a tad paranoid when I made the decision to not get the tactical bag. So that is why I am thinking some burlap, I dunno I just don't want to have the tactical pack for other things non-grow related which the pack is also for.

Maybe I will pick one up later on anyway.

Nice post GillyGoat, I thought someone with military experience would be a grower.

Ya really though, the whole idea of a suit is when taking a river. Just for those spooky moments you want to lay down and lower the heart rate.......plus you can ditch it and not have cammo clothes on under neath. Just not a priority right now.

Billygoat

Billygoat

Nice post GillyGoat, I thought someone with military experience would be a grower.

Ya really though, the whole idea of a suit is when taking a river. Just for those spooky moments you want to lay down and lower the heart rate.......plus you can ditch it and not have cammo clothes on under neath. Just not a priority right now.

No problem. More then glad to help out in any way. If you catz want to use a Ghillie suit. I will give a class on how to build what we Sniper's call a Yeti Suit. A Yeti suit is a field expendient ghillie suit. If for some reason you don't have your normal ghillie suit or need to extract someone that need some type of camo. These are the suit that will work and save your ass in a crack.

I'll do a full write up this summer when I hit the mountains with some Farmer buddies.
Later,
BG

K

kill-9

You guys are a little to high right now. My point of view on this subject. Some of you might know this some of you might not know this.

haha...in these times when you serve years and years for a couple of plants...paranoia sometimes is warranted but I know what you mean.

Looking forward to your summer posts regarding this issue.

Billygoat

Billygoat

haha...in these times when you serve years and years for a couple of plants...paranoia sometimes is warranted but I know what you mean.

Looking forward to your summer posts regarding this issue.

I was just joking with that statement. You want to hear something really funny! Trying being to high at your grow site in the middle of the Appalachian Mountains. Try hiking in for 3 hours. Planting about 40 or so Purple Afghani's along a ridge at 5500 feet and then forget where you came in at. Then you start to get a little worried and forget you got a GPS, compass, map, and protractor with you. Talk about being to high. Little bro, is like. Why don't you use the GPS. :rasta: That's what i get for smoking to much while I worked. lol
Take care,
BG

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
I wanna make a yetti suit now.. :icon_cookie:
Kalcu I know what ya mean by them spooky moments you want to lay down and lower the heart rate.

BillyGoat That would be way cool if you could post up on the gimmick..

GTD

Top Bottom