PH Drift

• Thread starter 3 balls
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Glassdub

Glassdub

They are all clean when they are new. It was just a warning.
I have no desire to get a RO system this is my best alternative IMO.
I had an old one before this (year old one) though not as crystal clean, not very (if at all) moldly, used that for garden plants w/o issue again environment.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just a big vat of toxic mold. 😄
I feel it depends a lot on maintenance of the dehumidifier. The rad that the condensate comes from and the holding container's are going to be the trouble spots. I may also point out that depending on the material used in thier construction it's is possible to leech metals into the water such as copper. Probably very small amounts but I believe this was tested somewhere along my reading. New units may not be an issue but as they age and the conditions deteriorate I believe it could be an issue. Imo you can use it but I would say it can be a risky practice.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I have no desire to get a RO system this is my best alternative IMO.

Sure just have to keep it clean.

I thought i needed an ro unit. I bought a stealth 100. It is only used for humidifier water now. Never actually needed it for the plants. It caused more problems than helped.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I drink enough lemon water to melt them away, Berkey filter it but that doesn't remove minerals, downside my teeth are pretty gone.

Whats the ec (ppm) of the water?

My well water is 8.0 ph but only 150 ppm mineral content. Which is good.

Glassdub

Glassdub

100% this. Alkalinity is the key not ph. That water is perfect to use no matter the ph.
Alkalinity is pH though, why pH check water if it takes on the ph of whatever is poured into? I've heard this said before but I don't get it 🤔, when I pour 4.1 pH into my presently alkaline medium (due to DE), the run offs (given its a ball park) are in the mid 6 range but a 9 pH water surely isn't going to be in this safe range unless adjusted down.
PS I filter for drinking not watering

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Alkalinity is pH though, why pH check water if it takes on the ph of whatever is poured into? I've heard this said before but I don't get it 🤔, when I pour 4.1 pH into my presently alkaline medium (due to DE), the run offs (given its a ball park) are in the mid 6 range but a 9 pH water surely isn't going to be in this safe range unless adjusted down.
Alkalinity is not ph... That's the issue most don't realize. I'm sure there are better explanations bit Google spit this out first and I'm to lazy to type it lol.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Basically ph is a measurement of alkalinity or acid. Acid and alkalinity are what influence the ph

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

With 100ppm you cannot have high alkalinity and like about 50-75% is carbonate or bicarbonate which influence ph so 50-100ppm will provide a nice buffering capacity. If the source water is between 100-150ppm you alkalinity will likely be perfect for growing. That's not to say high ppm water is not acceptable in terms of alkalinity, as @MIMedGrower pointed out. It will depend on the makeup of that ppm and how much alkalinity it has.

Glassdub

Glassdub

Alkalinity is not ph... That's the issue most don't realize. I'm sure there are better explanations bit Google spit this out first and I'm to lazy to type it lol.

Yeah, this is the exact web post that didn't make sense to me, don't know what I'm missing.

Glassdub

Glassdub

With 100ppm you cannot have high alkalinity and like about 50-75% is carbonate or bicarbonate which influence ph so 50-100ppm will provide a nice buffering capacity. If the source water is between 100-150ppm you alkalinity will likely be perfect for growing. That's not to say high ppm water is not acceptable in terms of alkalinity, as @MIMedGrower pointed out. It will depend on the makeup of that ppm and how much alkalinity it has.
I've never correlated TDS ppm reads to pH, this I don't really understand.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I've never correlated TDS ppm reads to pH, this I don't really understand.
Ok so the ph just tells you the alkalinity or acidity of the water. Alkaline (not high ph) the water the more acid needed to lower the ph. Carbonate and bicarbonate are alkaline and are used to create what we call a buffering capacity which is the ability to neutralize acid. These carbonate and bicarbonate sources are usually attached to some like potassium or calcium and make up part of the ppm of the water. So if you only have 100ppm then you can be sure the alkalinity is not high based on the ppm. Even if 75% of the ppm is carbonate or bicarbonate sources it's still good. This means you won't need a whole lot of acid to lower the ph. Often you hear of hard or soft water this is in reference to the mineral sources often attached to the carbonate or bicarbonate. Your water is soft 100% I can say that based on the ppm because the ppm is not high enough to have a high alkalinity.

So it will be easy to lower the ph with anything acidic as you have low buffering capacity (the ability to neutralize acid).

Ph does not matter. Your ph is high because it's makeup is of mostly alkaline sources but the total amount of alkalinity is low so you have a high ph. Add some nutrients that usually acidic and the ph will lower easily compared to someone that may have a lower pH but a lot more alkalinity. So you see ph means nothing and actually should not be used at all. Alkalinity is what's important but we are stuck in the stone ages still using ph

Last edited:
Glassdub

Glassdub

Perhaps I'm slow &/or stupid but if ph just tells you the alkalinity or acidity of the water how is alkalinity not high pH, what is it then?
Its was my understanding that TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) are what are measured with these meters, are there not other inert solids that don't effect the alkalinity or acidity of water? If so how can you tell anything related to this from the ppm read?

Latest posts

Top Bottom