pH imbalance or deficiency issue?

• Thread starter Gboi420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gboi420

Gboi420

3x3 tent. 2 "600watt" leds. Soil grow. No nutrients
Bigger plant is about 2 months old and the smaller is about 1 month.
I noticed that both have yellowing tips and some red tips. And the bigger one has also had some leafs yellowing that I've pulled off. I am watering with store bought spring water. Not sure if it's because the water is a little high in pH around 8. I need to learn how to adjust pH before I get nutrient lockout maybe? The first 3 pics are the smaller. The next 3 are the bigger plant. Please help.

Ph imbalance or deficiency issue
Ph imbalance or deficiency issue 2
Ph imbalance or deficiency issue 3
Ph imbalance or deficiency issue 4
Ph imbalance or deficiency issue 5
Ph imbalance or deficiency issue 6
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

No nutrients?

Hooked leaves often mean excess N was added, at some point. Leaf tips yellowing is often a sign of nute burn.

Other than that, the upper leaves don't look like they are expanding as I'd expect them to be, which is probably a root problem/watering problem.

Did you mix nutrients into the soil?

Gboi420

Gboi420

No nutrients?

Hooked leaves often mean excess N was added, at some point. Leaf tips yellowing is often a sign of nute burn.

Other than that, the upper leaves don't look like they are expanding as I'd expect them to be, which is probably a root problem/watering problem.

Did you mix nutrients into the soil?
No I haven't used any nutrients. All I used was a good garden soil. Some worm castings and a little Coco coir and perlite. It has red tips to. And they look burnt. And the leaves are very dry. They are in 5 gallon pots. I only water when I notice the top of soil 2 inches deep is dry. I don't understand why the leaves are always curled.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Do you have other pics of the plant from other angles? Does it have lower leaves?

Do you water that fabric pot thoroughly? When you water, is all the soil wet? Are the sides of the fabric pot damp?

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
Do you have a fan blowing on them? The 5th and 6th look like it.

Move your light up a scosche, it helps with a sick plant. But I also think light is adding to your problem

The droopy one is a watering issue.

FrankWhite41

FrankWhite41

Looks over watered. Like wetting a napkin and leaving it in the sun to dry. You need a good water schedule. What is the good soil you are using and does it say time released nutrients on the bag. Because that will pump nutes every watering. She looks stressed. My guess from the pics is light is too close. Your over watering. That soil has time released nutes. Give less water more or more water less depending on your environment.

jamesoncom

jamesoncom

Yeah I was thinking to start lifting the pots to feel the weight for watering. If you just check the top 2" the bottom 8" could still be wet and normally is unless they have a lot of air flow around them in fabric pots. Also chlorine in the water might be present as well. not sure if that matters though for overwater.

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
If it's a deficiency, it's not chronic yet. So continue to monitor it. I'd be more worried about the bug like cuts on the leaves Unless those were accidentally manufactured by you.

Gboi420

Gboi420

Looks over watered. Like wetting a napkin and leaving it in the sun to dry. You need a good water schedule. What is the good soil you are using and does it say time released nutrients on the bag. Because that will pump nutes every watering. She looks stressed. My guess from the pics is light is too close. Your over watering. That soil has time released nutes. Give less water more or more water less depending on your environment.
I gave more water at a time until the pot got heavy and I took the fan off of them and they perked up

IMG 20211104 131735
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

The plant is drowning.

Why does everyone add coco? It causes mag shortages. QUIT USING COCO!! ARGHHHHHHHhhhhh...... !!! 😤😵
Sorry, not mad at you, just venting.

Read these and if you still have questions, feel free to ask..

Basic Watering

Watering SOIL

Gboi420

Gboi420

The plant is drowning.

Why does everyone add coco? It causes mag shortages. QUIT USING COCO!! ARGHHHHHHHhhhhh...... !!! 😤😵
Sorry, not mad at you, just venting.

Read these and if you still have questions, feel free to ask..

Basic Watering

Watering SOIL
I'm confused on if it was really drowning. I felt like I wasn't watering enough from the get go. I have been starting to water more each time and it's starting to look better.

Last edited:
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I'm confused on if it was really drowning. I felt like I wasn't watering enough from the get go. I have been starting to water each time and it's starting to look better.
The leaves should be standing out and angled at the sun, not the floor. They have so much water in them that they are weighed to the floor.
Read the articles.

Gboi420

Gboi420

I just don't understand because the leaves were feeling very thin and brittle until I started watering more and now they are perking up and feeling more full and lively.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I did not get a good look at the soil.
This is a watering issue, the question is which way. If they were dry, it's because they are almost dead. You need to water so that the entire pot is wet. Then let it get mostly dry before watering again. Read the articles. They tell you this stuff.
Just start watering correctly and it will correct itself either way.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

The soil itself is producing nitrogen. It's hot soil. Not hot as in heat. But hot as in it's naturally making more nitrogen than the plant can handle. Google hot soil and do a little reading on the subject. Should help you understand whats up.

Ya 8 is way high. I use apple cider vinegar to acidify rain water. I add 1 tablespoon per 7 L watering can.This drops my rain water from 7 to 6 I use PH test strips to test my water. And I check my soil PH every 30 days with a Leaf luster soil test kit. Maybe a little over kill but it gives me something to tinker with.

Last edited:
Static23

Static23

3x3 tent. 2 "600watt" leds. Soil grow. No nutrients
Bigger plant is about 2 months old and the smaller is about 1 month.
I noticed that both have yellowing tips and some red tips. And the bigger one has also had some leafs yellowing that I've pulled off. I am watering with store bought spring water. Not sure if it's because the water is a little high in pH around 8. I need to learn how to adjust pH before I get nutrient lockout maybe? The first 3 pics are the smaller. The next 3 are the bigger plant. Please help.
I ran into the same problem and discovered my water ph was in the 8+ range. Now, before I water I ph my water down with white vinegar. Worked like a charm! Get yourself a digital water ph meter, it makes life easier!

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

The soil itself is producing nitrogen. It's hot soil. Not hot as in heat. But hot as in it's naturally making more nitrogen than the plant can handle.
Google hot soil and do a little reading on the subject. Should help you understand whats up.
If the soil is correctly made it will buffer the pH levels and the food so it will not be an issue. Read the Cation Exchange section.

Last edited:
Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

If the soil is correctly made it will buffer the food and it will not be an issue.
I agree. But the soil may still be hot. He said he has not given the plant nitrogen. The plant also looks over watered.
If the PH is way up above 7 this could account for the brown spotting on the leaves that looks like Phosphorus deficiency as well.

Top Bottom