PH Run Off

• Thread starter Exodius
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

Exodius

I am currently setting up to start a grow and from what I understand the Ph run off should be around 6.0 to 7.0. I did a test using Fox Farm Ocean Forest and when I tested the run off it was under 6.0. I read some info saying to add 5 to 6 tablespoons of dolomite lime. I added it mixed it in with the soil and got the same results. I am using 4 gallon pots and am curious about how much dolomite lime I should use. I don't want to over do it because I added a lot more and it actually changed the soil whereby it seems hard like mud when wet and this happened when I decided to try the pelletized dolomite lime.

S

ssteely71

Hi. First, run-off pH is only relevant if you know the pH of the water or solution going into the medium before you can gauge your mediums pH. Did your medium raise or lower the waters pH? Dolomite lime in pelleted form takes longer to become fully effective in a medium and is commonly used in powered form because its faster acting. I would not recommend using more than 2 tablespoons of dolomite lime per gallon of soil/medium as a base amount. Best of luck.

S

ssteely71

The pH of the water going in is 7.0 and coming out is at 4.5.
Wow. Thats a very low pH. What are you using to measure your pH? Ive personally only ever used pH drops to measure with. Those readings would mean that your soils pH is under 4 for sure, not exactly sure of exact formula. Im assuming your just testing new soil out of the bag? If my memory serves me correct FFOF is supposed to be pre pH'd to like 6.5-7.2

E

Exodius

Yea am testing the soil straight out of the bag and am using the pH test kit drops. All two bags of my FFOF is reading really low pH levels straight out of the bag.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I am currently setting up to start a grow and from what I understand the Ph run off should be around 6.0 to 7.0. I did a test using Fox Farm Ocean Forest and when I tested the run off it was under 6.0. I read some info saying to add 5 to 6 tablespoons of dolomite lime. I added it mixed it in with the soil and got the same results. I am using 4 gallon pots and am curious about how much dolomite lime I should use. I don't want to over do it because I added a lot more and it actually changed the soil whereby it seems hard like mud when wet and this happened when I decided to try the pelletized dolomite lime.
Why are you concerned with run-off here? Are you having problems? If so, what are they? You're chasing numbers and you'll kill doing that. Observe, THEN make changes if observations say they're warranted. If you haven't even started then you're not even correctly testing the soil itself using a method like this.

After that, don't mess around using a pH run-off method, especially for organic soil. Use the slurry method.

What you really want is for the SOIL to be in the pH range of 6.2-6.8. HOWEVER, there's a caveat--you're doing organic *and* soil here. So if you're planning on futzing with pH, you're probably not going to be doing a very organic grow, or if you're planning on doing organic you're going at it very, very backwards.

Get the book Teaming With Microbes, read it, learn what the soil food web is and understand it. Then get yourself some organic gardening books, Eliot Coleman's information is FANTASTIC. Learn what aerated compost teas are (they'll be discussed a bit in the TWM book), use them.

E

Exodius

Thanks I will take your advise and get the reading materials you recommend.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Start with happy frog then go into ocean forest a week before flowering

S

slap14

To be honest I have found this to be true of a lot of bagged soil. I have tried it with Roots, Sanctuary, Black Gold and Bio Bizz using the slurry method Maiden suggested. Now after I amend my soil and cook it my soil PH raises to about 6.4. I don't even really pay attention to the PH anymore and only tested it out of curiosity. The dolomite will work but depending on the type you used ie powdered or prilled it could take anywhere from 3 weeks to couple months to see any effects. Another good addition would be ground oyster shell meal it along with the dolomite would help raise the PH but again it will not happen overnight? Soil unlike hydro is a much slower process when making changes.

Good luck

Slap

Natural

Natural

I just gotta add my 2 sense here. FFOF should be PH buffered already. Granted it is an organic blend..it has lots of fish and guano. Thus making it pretty "hot" for small plants that would otherwise flourish under low-ppm mineralized-water alone. I suggest cutting it for small plants or use as a transplant medium once they become established. After-all they advertise this mix as a soil amendment and not as stand alone. If you're having issues..it's most likely going to be too high of nutrient content.
Just as well also, adding beneficial teas (AACT) will also help maintain a proper PH..as it would in any organic soil.

Power OG

Power OG

i use happy frog for new plants when i up pot to 5gallon pot, they go into straght ocean forrest with added pearlite. i have no ph problems, get soil ph meter, get a ph water pen, ppm water pen, but most importantly get seeds and plants going, you will learn what your plants need or lack but get growing dnt just play the numbers game, just my opinion. heres a shot of my nothern lights at last harvest in ocean forrest soil
IMG 20140205 234836

Dr.J20

Dr.J20

i'm with pantajali
Oh god, please throw the pH pens away. Let the soil food web do the work. ;)

for real, isn't this one of the major benefits of organic--i mean besides the better taste, potency, sustainability, good karma--its straight up easier! top dressing and teas vs. graduated cylinders, syringes of snake oil, ec meters, pH meters...what a headache all that jive was! let the microbes do the work! Feed the soil, and it'll feed your head!
be easy,
Dr.J

Top Bottom