Ph runoff is too low.

• Thread starter Prime C
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Puscifer

Puscifer

You didn't mention that it was reuse coco we're talking about! It makes sense that your coco is on the "hot" side.
When you say 4-3-1 gro micro bloom, you're talking tsps or ml? On the back of the bottles the directions are in tsps/gal.
My friend runs the Flora Nova and loves it. Another buddy runs it in ebb/flow buckets and he too is loving it.

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
You didn't mention that it was reuse coco we're talking about! It makes sense that your coco is on the "hot" side.
When you say 4-3-1 gro micro bloom, you're talking tsps or ml? On the back of the bottles the directions are in tsps/gal.
My friend runs the Flora Nova and loves it. Another buddy runs it in ebb/flow buckets and he too is loving it.

Yeah ml per gallon. ;)I just checked the run off today on my tub of reused coco and it was over 2000 ppms I was wtf no shit! I was using some to repot a plant i wanna reveg so I started flushing before just to see and blam there it was. Im sure the problem of all my issues as of late. No worries though I been ontop of it and things are progressing nicely.

Wish I were down in fl right now just to see the sun! fuckin gloomy ass Mich weather up here. Was thinking about coming down in feb to visit my parents in cape coral. Feb/March would be good then I could do some sheeps head fishing. Gonna drive this year fuck flying!lol

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hey Bud, I just wanted to mention that I liked using FNB. Very easy to use, and the rates are very low. I had some lines that had to go @2mls/gal! Alternated with Fox Farms Big Bloom and you're on the Big Ricky train.

CaliShark

CaliShark

Ideally should the ppm of your run off match that of the ppm going in? I just tested my runoff ppm and it's pegged out on the meter 2000+. What's the best way to flush the coco? With a light nute mix ph'd to 5.8???

Thanks for the help.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No. If the run-off EC matches what you put in, then that means the plant got or used nothing.

Flushing should always be a light nutrient mix, IMO. More importantly, how does the plant look?

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
Right now my ppms are still above what im putting in but hovering around 1000 give or take. Still way better than 3 or 4000. My ph has pretty much stabalized above 5.5 .. I still have a little claw and some tip burn but things are chugging along nicely. Been alternating my feeds with ewc tea and Sea green to flush a bit.:D I appreciate all the help and insight.

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
Ideally should the ppm of your run off match that of the ppm going in? I just tested my runoff ppm and it's pegged out on the meter 2000+. What's the best way to flush the coco? With a light nute mix ph'd to 5.8???

Thanks for the help.
I think thats why a good amount of runoff is needed with coco to keep it flushed of build ups. True grit recommended i use drip clean for buildups. Multiple waterings with a light feed will straighten it out like Seamaiden said.

sixstring

sixstring

Not letting the coco dry out helps keep it flushed right also.a light dose of calmag can help clean out salts while giving a Lil extra kick at the same time.gl

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

I'm not currently seeing any issues but...

I am watering with ppms IN at 600-700 OUT is around 800, pH of 5.5-5.6 IN and OUT has been between 6.1-6.2.

Will this eventually cause a problem?

I have been told Nitrate Nitrogen will raise the pH of the media (I am using Jacks 3-2-1 in Canna Coco).

sixstring

sixstring

I would do a few feeds at 500ppm and see what your runoff does.it should be the same or lower coming out like sea said or your over feeding.ph will likely sort itself out as well.
Any time I had high readings it was from my grow style of flood then dry, that doesn't work so hot for coco.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

I would do a few feeds at 500ppm and see what your runoff does.it should be the same or lower coming out like sea said or your over feeding.ph will likely sort itself out as well.
Any time I had high readings it was from my grow style of flood then dry, that doesn't work so hot for coco.
Hmmm...
I'm not too concerned with my ppms but rather my pH...Wont a higher pH sometimes indicate a lack of food? I will hit them with a couple 400-500 feeds, see what happens. I usually get 20%+ runoff which is why the high pH is puzzling..

ttystikk

ttystikk

I'm seeing a regular theme, telling you to add cal-mag. DON'T. Your coco and tapwater have plenty already, that's where a lot of your build-up is coming from. Also, if you're going to reuse your substrate, you want to rinse it as you flush the plants growing in it. That means using top feed techniques instead of ebb n flood. Thus, as your plants get very light feeds at the end of their life cycle, your coco will also get its chance to flush excess salts, leaving it ready for the next round.

FWIW, I'm having very good results with chowmix of 80% hydroton and only 20% coco, measured damp at one part coco to four parts rocks. I water more often but it's very manageable and the plants love it. I recirculate and this chowmix makes that easy to manage as well, again with no build-up over time. Long time... been doing this for years now with the same media!

Danked

Danked

Hey everyone... I just stumbled across this thread as I was looking for some info on salt build-up/flushing in coco. This is my 3rd run in coco, the first 2 I used H3ad's GH coco 6/9 recipe, w/ calimagic, hygrozyme, & drip clean. FOR SOME REASON, I decided to fix something that wasn't broke (cuz I got pretty damn good results from the first 2 grows). But I was given some free samples of H&G nutes, so I figured I'd give them a try.
Well...the results (so far) aren't much different than GH 6/9...except the condition of my plants. I've got the tell-tale signs of clawed tips starting to point down, the leaves are dry... crispy-ish almost. Everything else is good...temp, RH, air-flow, lighting, RO water, PH, etc... so it's kinda easy to tell that its salt-buildup. I've never had this problem, as I'm used to just flushing at the last 2 weeks. So anyways......(sorry it's hard for me to summarize shit): I need some help trying to get these girls back on track. I know they need a good flushing, but I've read NOT to flush (mid-grow) with just straight RO water, so I'm not goin to do that. I think I've read on this forum somewhere that flushing with an EC of 0.6 is a good idea. But what exactly do I put in my RO water to make it 0.6? Just a light nute feed? Like say... few (2-3) ml's of H&G Cocos A & B...? or just a flushing agent like FloraKleen? ANY help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Tapwater will help with that, then a very, VERY low dose of feed.

Danked

Danked

Thank you for your extremely quick reply... I'm in the process of filling a big bucket with some RO water now (<50 ppms)... should I like, "cut" the RO water with some tap? Like a 50/50 mix...see what the EC is? Or just run straight tap water thru them? The EC of the tap around here is like 250...

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
Thank you for your extremely quick reply... I'm in the process of filling a big bucket with some RO water now (<50 ppms)... should I like, "cut" the RO water with some tap? Like a 50/50 mix...see what the EC is? Or just run straight tap water thru them? The EC of the tap around here is like 250...
if your on city tap water you should prob bubble that off for 24 hrs to get rid of some chlorine. The florakleen is supposed to unbond the salts so id use that with your RO then a light feed as recommended.

Danked

Danked

if your on city tap water you should prob bubble that off for 24 hrs to get rid of some chlorine. The florakleen is supposed to unbond the salts so id use that with your RO then a light feed as recommended.

Thanks for the reply BudMuncher... yeah, I think I'm going to add about 4 or 5ml/gal FloraKleen to some RO, (should I PH it?), then give 'em about a 1/2 gal to a 3/4 gallon of that.. 'Til I get some good run-off. I've got one more question though.... should I give them a light feeding right after? like later today.... or wait til next time they need water/feeding?

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
Thanks for the reply BudMuncher... yeah, I think I'm going to add about 4 or 5ml/gal FloraKleen to some RO, (should I PH it?), then give 'em about a 1/2 gal to a 3/4 gallon of that.. 'Til I get some good run-off. I've got one more question though.... should I give them a light feeding right after? like later today.... or wait til next time they need water/feeding?

Flushem and check runoff. If ppms still to high flushem again after letting the florakleen break down some of the salts maybe half an hr. Then a light feed making sure to check the runoff again. My shit was way outta wack 4000 ppms and this is what i did to correct it.

ftwendy

ftwendy

Flushem and check runoff. If ppms still to high flushem again after letting the florakleen break down some of the salts maybe half an hr. Then a light feed making sure to check the runoff again. My shit was way outta wack 4000 ppms and this is what i did to correct it.

How are things now? I hope the flushing effort paid off

Are you using sea green?

Latest posts

Top Bottom