Photone and Apogee Comparison Results

• Thread starter freezeland2
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
freezeland2

freezeland2

So I did a thing and bought a Apogee Quantum PAR meter. I did a comparison this morning between the Photone app on my phone and my new meter. The first tested was a PAR reading on the MH bulb I have in the veg tent. Surprisingly close with only a few PAR difference between the two. Next test was on my full spectrum HLG Scorpion hanging in the flower room. The phone app is reading over 200 PAR higher than the Apogee. So my conclusion is that the Photone app works well if running HID’s. Not so much so if running LED. Just thought I’d pass my observation along for what it is worth.

Blastfact

Blastfact

So I did a thing and bought a Apogee Quantum PAR meter. I did a comparison this morning between the Photone app on my phone and my new meter. The first tested was a PAR reading on the MH bulb I have in the veg tent. Surprisingly close with only a few PAR difference between the two. Next test was on my full spectrum HLG Scorpion hanging in the flower room. The phone app is reading over 200 PAR higher than the Apogee. So my conclusion is that the Photone app works well if running HID’s. Not so much so if running LED. Just thought I’d pass my observation along for what it is worth.
Which Apogee meter? They seem to throw around Quantum and which phone are you using for Photone?

freezeland2

freezeland2

I ordered a MQ-610 today.....
I considered the ePAR sensors but I decided for the full spectrum sensor due its wide spectrum range and my running UVA lighting. You’ll like that Apogee for sure.

Madmax

Madmax

Ive been keen to purchase but soo dear.i asked the wife can i do my santa wish early.
The reply.santas not fucking coming this year...shot me down fast....bitch 🤣

freezeland2

freezeland2

Ive been keen to purchase but soo dear.i asked the wife can i do my santa wish early.
I feel for you. Happy wife is a happy life tho.

Blastfact

Blastfact

I considered the ePAR sensors but I decided for the full spectrum sensor due its wide spectrum range and my running UVA lighting. You’ll like that Apogee for sure.
I went with the 610 because of the spec sheets and being the newer tech. The 500 is a 400 to 700 nm with a Spectral Range of 389 to 692 nm. the 610 is a 400 to 750 nm with a Spectral Range of 383 to 757 nm. So the 610 is a bit better at UV by a smidge and has a hold on the far right. I will be running HLG UVA-30 with my new 350R in a 2x4 and Dual 260 Rspect w/UVA-30 in the 3x3. I didn't buy the wand. Didn't look like it would fit in the storage pouch. So I will make something up. I'm looking forward to having this tool...

Blastfact

Blastfact

I gave the wife the courtesy of telling her I was buying a new 2x4 tent setup and it wont be no Amazon Super China Junk! Gorilla, HLG, AC Infinity, Apogee and such. It will be High End China Junk!! Her response was OK. After 30 plus years she knows I'm going to do what I want, when I want, how I want.

freezeland2

freezeland2

I went with the 610 because of the spec sheets and being the newer tech. The 500 is a 400 to 700 nm with a Spectral Range of 389 to 692 nm. the 610 is a 400 to 750 nm with a Spectral Range of 383 to 757 nm. So the 610 is a bit better at UV by a smidge and has a hold on the far right. I will be running HLG UVA-30 with my new 350R in a 2x4 and Dual 260 Rspect w/UVA-30 in the 3x3. I didn't buy the wand. Didn't look like it would fit in the storage pouch. So I will make something up. I'm looking forward to having this tool...
Mine is a handheld that has a bracket mounted to the device with a short cord to the sensor. It’s very easy to hold to take samples. They sell that bracket and I’m sure you could do some cable management to mount your sensor right to the meter with that bracket.

freezeland2

freezeland2

I gave the wife the courtesy of telling her I was buying a new 2x4 tent setup and it wont be no Amazon Super China Junk! Gorilla, HLG, AC Infinity, Apogee and such. It will be High End China Junk!! Her response was OK. After 30 plus years she knows I'm going to do what I want, when I want, how I want.
My wife has heard me say you get what you pay for enough times to not bother with what I order. Being with her for 45 years helps too, lol.

Heywood

Heywood

My wife has heard me say you get what you pay for enough times to not bother with what I order. Being with her for 45 years helps too, lol.

"I'm just going to buy this without asking".... It is easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission. 😎

So, I have a question on the Photone app. I just downloaded it and was checking videos on how to use it.

I came across this video where he uses a different method for diffusing the light which really brought the measurements in line with his $500 Apogee meter.
I think I am going to give this way a try, but was wondering your opinions on whether this is worthwhile trying to get readings on my Spider Farmer SE5000 LED?

Heywood

Heywood

Disregard my above question. The current version of the Photone app that is available is a Beta version and if you put a diffuser on, the app detects it and tells you to remove it. Maybe they have overcome the need for it.

Theindoorfarmer

Theindoorfarmer

Did you purchase the Photone pro online to be able to test all the different light spectrum or did you only get the basic one for you’re test?

Moshmen

Moshmen

I know it’s a old post but seems relevant - my grandfather used to say “ if you buy quality you will only cry once! “ lol when you pay for it . I think this still holds true today

freezeland2

freezeland2

I know it’s a old post but seems relevant - my grandfather used to say “ if you buy quality you will only cry once! “ lol when you pay for it . I think this still holds true today
It does

Blastfact

Blastfact

Disregard my above question. The current version of the Photone app that is available is a Beta version and if you put a diffuser on, the app detects it and tells you to remove it. Maybe they have overcome the need for it.
It's my understanding you only use the diffuser on iphones. Android doesn't use one. If that has changed I will revisit the app. But as it stood last time I tried it after purchasing the iphone and Andriod version and using it on a Iphone 13 Pro Max and a Sammy Ultra 21. It wasn't worth the money or time. And I bought a Apogee MQ-610 and waged finger at the stupid near useless app.

Top Bottom