physan f'd my plants up.

• Thread starter Capulator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
No I should not. But I did get something. It was brown algae. Since I have just scrubbed out everything with bleach, and made my ebb flo table light proof with a piece of star board I had C&C'd like this:

http://i8.invalid.com/albums/a20/draph2000/IMAG0213.jpg

So hopefully now I can avoid both green and brown algae.

Neither can do damage without any light.

K

kuz

Approx. 10% bleach solution works awesome and is safe for the plants.

So about 1.5 cups of bleach per gallon?

I use about 1 teaspoon per 15 gallons if I have rot to kill. Bonehead mistake, I put 2 tablespoons in a 15 gallon res once and the plant was real droopy for a week or two. Fungus gnats had got out of control before I realized, and I think they caused the root problems, I think that much bleach killed the gnats also, not sure since I treated for them after the plant rebounded from the bleach.

K

kuz

1-2ml per gal is usually 2ppm

I dont think my plant liked 2 mls per gallon, have you used bleach that strong? I figure 5.25% concentrate solution is 14 ppm at 1 ml per gallon. I havent found a solid source for the ppms actually needed, but you see numbers from 3-5 ppm tossed around the internet.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Sorry. Not 10% bleach running with plants. 10% as a sterilizer. Never ran 10% bleach with plants inside. That would probably f them up good. 1 teaspoon is 5ml.

FUCK brown algae. Time to research the shit out of that stuff.

RMCG: I read that brown algae thrives off of three things: silicates, nitrates, and light.

Something interestign on the ppms of bleach itself: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hanta/hps/noframes/bleach.htm

M

mrdizzle

haha fuck I always do that

1-2ml per 10gal of water, haha sorry

R

RMCG

Sorry. Not 10% bleach running with plants. 10% as a sterilizer. Never ran 10% bleach with plants inside. That would probably f them up good. 1 teaspoon is 5ml.

FUCK brown algae. Time to research the shit out of that stuff.

RMCG: I read that brown algae thrives off of three things: silicates, nitrates, and light.

Something interestign on the ppms of bleach itself: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hanta/hps/noframes/bleach.htm

Silica and Nitrates for sure, but even with a sealed up/light tight res/plumbing, people still have problems with brown algae.

R

RMCG

http://www.fishlore.com/uv_sterilizer.htm

and then:

straight in to the res. No need to pump the water through the uv light. Just stick them in the res. maybe even in the plant sites. still researching what UV will do to the roots.

People did not have good luck with UV. Dizzle included I believe.

Works fine to sterilize incoming water, but once that goop is attached to your roots, they will never get zapped.

Nice long read if you are interested in the snot algae/hydro herpes:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=55259

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
thanks. I'll check it out.

I was looking at putting the UV straight in to the plant res. Trying to find out how that would affect roots. Only one way to really find out I guess.

It seems the submersable bulbs are only available in thailand and singapore. They probably arent approved in the states.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Fuck yeah RMCG.

That thread is bad ass. It even shows pics of droopy plants from too much physan.

1ml per 10 gal. only run for a few hours, then change out res.

Then, run zone as preventative (already was doing that)'

My plants didnt die. They are slowly bouncing back.

On another note:

When I looked at Lucas formula, is he just saying that floranova is the best product, or does he actually have his own formula.

R

RMCG

There is a TON of info in that thread. Took me a few days to get through (and digest) it all.

FloraNova ~is~ the Lucas Formula in a bottle, just a one part.

The original 'formula/ratio' was using GH's 3 part (well 2 of them anyway). 0-8-16 ml/gal Grow:Micro:Bloom

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
that's rad. A few years back I almost went to work for GH in sebastapol. GH 3part is OG. I was using Grow Bloom and Micro when I first got in to hydro a long long time ago. Thanks a lot for the killer refernece RMCG!

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
AAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNDDD

They are back!

EWC tea and a mild dose of base nutes has nursed my babies ack to life.

As for the physan:

I got the BA again in another res. This time, I only used 1 ml per 10 gal, and I used it only for 10 minutes, to flood the tray. Then I drained and refilled with 1/2 strength nutes (botanicare pure blend gro), a little cal mag, and the EWC tea:

"4 gallons of RO water or bubbled tap (for 24 hours) in a 5 gallon bucket. One air stone with a big air pump.

2-3 handfuls of earth worm castings or ancient forest
50mL liquid carbo load
1 scoop of ZHO
1 scoop of Great White
5mL Root Excelurator
50mL Aquashield

Bubble for 24-48 hours; no longer. Separate with cheese cloth and put in a container. Fridge for up to 10 days.

Just use 1-2 cups per 10 gallons. That is more than plenty. "

Since then, no more algae, and healthy roots again.

I dont think you need to keep the physan in the system very long at all. i am pretty sure it sterilizes everything it touches quickly.

IMAG0239
TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

No preventative TF!?

What about products like DM zone, or bennys, or CEA's,

I am sure there are lots of things you do that could be considered preventative maintenance. Even washing out your system between harvests.

Personally, I would rather try to make the environment good only for plant growth, and not any other garbage (insects, molds, fungus, etc.)

Well, I was mainly ranting about the physan20, bleach, and hydro fungicide. I think that in my opinion the jury is out on the whole bennies in rdwc at this minute. That leaves the zone, which current culture questions using on a regular basis. The water culture thing can be so confusing at times. Yep that's when I started just filling the buckets with coco:D

Glad to see someone figured out how not to kill and maim with the physan. Glad to hear your plants are back in the swing. My bubbles of doom were the highlight for my tragic comedy with the stuff.
-TF

Top Bottom