Planning first grow room, need advice!

• Thread starter Bizee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bizee

Ok so, heres the basics.

Growing in a garage. (North Cali)

We have lots of space to work with, however were probably going to start off small at first.

Maybe 1 Large grow tent, 8x4

What were wondering is. How many mature plants do you think we could fit in that tent. We want to also try LST technique (Low stress Training) So were trying to figure out how many plants using that technique will comfortably fit.

and what lighting would suffice? Were wanting to grow in pots (soil) and probably growing clones for the first run. Will one 1k light be enough? or should we use two 1k lights?

Eventually we want to grow organic, and later on hydroponic, and experimenting with strains.

But for the first run were probably just going to use whatever is cheaper while were learning.

Im not saying using the cheapeast soil and nutrients out there, but if Organic stuff is way more expensive since this is our first run, then we want to use something easier on the wallet...

Keep in mind we are just planning, we have about $1000 saved up so far which were planning on spending on the lights...then piecing the rest together. Our goal is to start growing by begining of June if everything works out alright...

We are beginners so please take it easy on us :(

B

Bizee

Also, would it be best to have a smaller tent for vegetation stage, and then use the 8x4 for the flowering stage?

were hoping to have about 4-6 plants going.

S

Socachi

Hi Bizee and welcome. If you'r going with a 4x8 tent you're going to need more than 1 light. Either 2 1k or 2 600W. I prefer the 600's myself can get em alot closer to the plants, but others prefer the 1k's. You can veg and flower in the same area since you're going to LST you may also want to SCROG. If you do than definately stay in the same tent.

Not sure what nutes you're thinking of using I see you want to go organic. If you're wanting true organic you'll want to see the ORMI label on the bottle. I use Pure Blend Pro not a true organic even though they say they're organic.

With what you're wanting to do I think you'll need more than $1K, more like $2K. But you can start out with 1 light and fewer plants and build on that.

I hope this helps. Feel free to stop by my 1st Grow and see all the mistakes I've made along the way. Also browse around the forum and you'll find some great info that will help you in your journey.

Best of luck and I look forward to seeing your grow.

J

Johnnyblaze2010

Organic

Ok so, heres the basics.

Growing in a garage. (North Cali)

We have lots of space to work with, however were probably going to start off small at first.

Maybe 1 Large grow tent, 8x4

What were wondering is. How many mature plants do you think we could fit in that tent. We want to also try LST technique (Low stress Training) So were trying to figure out how many plants using that technique will comfortably fit.

and what lighting would suffice? Were wanting to grow in pots (soil) and probably growing clones for the first run. Will one 1k light be enough? or should we use two 1k lights?

Eventually we want to grow organic, and later on hydroponic, and experimenting with strains.

But for the first run were probably just going to use whatever is cheaper while were learning.

Im not saying using the cheapeast soil and nutrients out there, but if Organic stuff is way more expensive since this is our first run, then we want to use something easier on the wallet...

Keep in mind we are just planning, we have about $1000 saved up so far which were planning on spending on the lights...then piecing the rest together. Our goal is to start growing by begining of June if everything works out alright...

We are beginners so please take it easy on us :(

I'm going to let you in on a little secret, if you're going to go organic, look up subcool's supersoil recipe. All you have to do is water after you mix the supersoil up. No dealing with mixing the nutrients worrying about ph or ppm. It's your first grow so do it right and take it as a learning experience. Besides, you are going to yield grade A stuff with the supersoil...plus its Organic 100%. You're basically flushing the entire time because you aren't adding any of the salts to feed the plant. All of the microorganisms are making the food for the plant in the sub-supersoil. Hope this helps.

Here is the recipe in case you can't find it.

1/2-1/4 bottom of container filled with supersoil, top 3/4 to 1/2 filled with base soil (roots organic (better flavor), or harvest moon (more yield).

8 large bags of a high-quality organic potting soil with coco fiber and mycorrhizae (i.e., your base soil)
25 to 50 lbs of organic worm castings
5 lbs steamed bone meal
5 lbs Bloom bat guano
5 lbs blood meal
3 lbs rock phosphate -- new
¾ cup Epson salts
½ cup sweet lime (dolomite)
½ cup azomite (trace elements)
2 tbsp powdered humic acid--new

After 1 week, take out and mix again. Remember to add water to the supersoil so it can activate the mycorrhizae while its baking outside

-> Full Batch (12 cubic feet)

8- Large bags (1.5 cubic ft. ea) High quality Organic soil with Mycorrhizae
(i.e. Roots Organic)

25-50 lbs. Organic Worm Castings
5 lbs. Steamed Bone Meal
5 lbs. Bloom Bat Guano (Fruit Bat – High P)
5 lbs. Blood Meal
3 lbs. Rock Phosphate
¾ Cup Epsom Salts
1 Cup Sweet Lime (Powdered Dolomite) -New
1 Cup Azomite (Trace Elements) -New
2- TBS Powdered Humic Acid

Run off on this mix after a 4 week sitting with 7 ph water is 6.3

Assuming you're mixing 1 batch, you're getting approximately 12 cubic feet. 1 cubic feet is approximately 7.4 lets just say 7 gallon. If you're growing in a 5 gallon; then 12 cubic feet x 7 gallons = 84 gallons of supersoil. Divide that by 2.5 (you're only using half of that for the supersoil on the bottom; the top part is regular organic mix like (Roots organic) or (Harvest Moon) or even (Fox Farm Ocean Forrest 2:1 Light Warrior) and you get around 33 - 5 gallon plants. If you don't use it all, you can use it next batch. The longer you keep baking the soil, the better it turns out.

JH420

JH420

Also, would it be best to have a smaller tent for vegetation stage, and then use the 8x4 for the flowering stage?

were hoping to have about 4-6 plants going.

I would recommend a couple 4 x 4 tents. One with 1000 watts hps for flowering and another with 400 watts mh
for veg. This way you can have your flower room turning out a new crop every 8-12 weeks no wasting time on veging in your flower room. Also when you have yourself a dedicated veg room you can pull individual plants as they are ready some may take longer than others also you can be perpetual say harvest half a crop every 4-5 weeks break up the workload of harvest time plus the excitement of always having something new just around the corner.

Latest posts

Top Bottom