Planning for my room

• Thread starter Dmassive
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Dmassive

Hello guys.

I am currently planning for my grow room. I am going to start in soil because....well...I don't have 18k to drop on a double Ds special DWC setup.

What I do have is 12k though, and I think that should get me started in soil.

PLAN
flower room = 14ft x 14ft (7.5ft height)
6 x Plants
9 x 1k lights
soil = coco
max plant height 4.5ft
CO2 burner and monitor
Mini Split A/C

So my questions are if I run 9 lights and 6 plants (legal limit where I am) in the following configuration, how big of containers do I need to use? (assuming plants of 4-4.5ft height)

x = light
o = plant

XOXOX
_XOXOX
XOXOX

in this configuration 2 of the plants get light on all 4 sides and the rest get light on 3 sides. Plants with 3 lights will get turned daily (so the side not facing a light won't be that way more than a day) and switched out with the 4 side positions off and on.

Also for my grow area and number of lights, how big of a mini split would I need?

With a decent strain (I will be growing white rhino from clones), what is a reasonably attainable yield with this setup?

J

Jalisco Kid

15 gal, long veg with another strain 12 lbs JK I would run them in 2 rows of 3.

D

Dmassive

15 gal, long veg with another strain 12 lbs JK I would run them in 2 rows of 3.

JK, I think you posted before I fixed my light/plant layout. If not, why would you run them in two rows vs my layout where some plants have lights on all 4 sides?

L

livinglegend

just do 8k, in 15+ gal, 2 rows of 3. No need to turn them, Theyll get enough light. trust me.
your gunna need a couple 12" Vortex Fans.
the AC needs to be atleast, bare minimum 15k BTU's.
as far as yield goes, your gunna have to pull out the guns and train the plants well. If done right you can get a couple lbs per plant im sure.....

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
your gunna have to pull out the guns and train the plants well. If done right you can get a couple lbs per plant im sure.....

no truer words have been spoken, yeild is all about training, especially in this style.

jj

D

Dmassive

Ooh, I forgot to add one minor detail. These lights will be vertically hung with no reflector.

With that piece of info in mind...

Does that change the 8k in lights and the 15k btu on the mini split A/C that was suggested by living legend?

L

livinglegend

oh wow. changes alot.
your heat issues just went up. your gunna need to dial in your intake and exhaust system real proper and get a bigger portable AC. It can be done, its just real hard without being at the house because i dont know the attics layout or how big it is, where its possible to draw cold fresh air from, etc. etc.

D

Dmassive

Ok, well this is in a partially finished basement to begin with, so it is dry and cool.

I don't want intake or outake. I want to run a completely sealed room.

D

Dmassive

Anyone know how big of a mini split I am going to need for this setup?

C

chalicedoctor

wow, a sealed room would create soooo much heat with that many 1000k lamps, Good luck. Sealed ventilation of the lights and horizontal hanging reflectors would be the way to go, in my personal opinion. That way you can still run CO2 if you would like. From that many 1000k lamps you should have a great yeild as long as you keep the plants healthy, happy and a descent veg time so they can grow large. You also want to do it in that order, a plant can be huge and yield crap if it is not healthy, also feralizer build up is somthing to watch for it still plagues me sometimes, but if you remember to floss, I mean flush, your plants regularly they will be fine.
-chalicedoctor:icon_spin:

S

Spacecadet01

Anyone know how big of a mini split I am going to need for this setup?

3 ton should do it with plenty to spare...this way of growing is expensive to set up but will pay off in the end.

D

Dmassive

Thanks for the answers guys, I already found the conversion though after a few days with no one replying. :cool0044:

1 watt = 3.145 btu/hr

So the 8 x 1k watt lights would produce 25,160 btu/hr

Adding on 20% head room I am looking at a mini split that does roughly 30,000 btu/hr

J

Jalisco Kid

I would add min of 25% above your figure that is only if you have 85*/60%rh outside.

D

Dmassive

I would add min of 25% above your figure that is only if you have 85*/60%rh outside.

JK, I live in a region that only has about 30 days a year that it gets above 80, most of the year it is 50-75 and it rains a lot.

Plus this room is underground so the outside temp shouldn't affect this environment very much if at all.

Thank you for all your help, it is greatly appreciated!

U

ugmjfarmer

Wow you don't start small at all do you!?

I ran non-air cooled 1000's and found that around 800cfm per pair of lights held my temps at bay. I would seriously overbuild your exhaust for the room, but not too big. 14x14x8 is about 1600 cubic feet. Here are my suggestions, and they will get you there no problem.

14" Max fan with a 150 Can Filter
two 8" Max Fan intakes

only uses 650w and will cool that room in a hurry.

6) 20 gal tubs from home depot ($9 each, punch your holes in the bottom, lots of holes)

Use lots of perlite whatever your mix is. Straight Sunshine #4 should be all you need but as always adding perlite adds aerationg to the roots and will help with yields.

Grab a 55 Gal Trash can res for making nutrient. Run something simple like GH FloraNova @ 600ppm and 6.0ph with some Floracious Bloom or Floracious Plus. That should provide everything you need as far as nutrients and give you great tasting stuff.

Flush for 10 days.

I would setup a 3x3 screen for each plant that can be moved around. That way you can train your plants to a flat 3x3 area then flip. Once you do this once, you'll see why! I would assume you can yield around 1000g per plant if you can provide CO2 and are able to train them well. Even growing big bushes that are topped multipe times, you should be fine. Whatever you do, remember that a 1000w bulb is most effective 3x3 and 2ft deep. Anything else requires side lighting to get anything good out of IME.

You might just do well with hanging two 1000's in the center and use 8 600's on the sides without any reflectors. Run a A/C around 2 tons for that much light, and a co2 burner w/ dehumidifier and you should yield well.

Have you looked into this? http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=8182

Guy is getting 12lbs from 8 plants using an all hanging light setup.

J

Jalisco Kid

It would effect your a/c because the condenser would be outside. I remember some hot days in ptown. JK

D

Dmassive

It would effect your a/c because the condenser would be outside. I remember some hot days in ptown. JK

I was speaking more of the outside temperature affecting the inside temperature and not necessarily the outside temp affecting the A/C.

I will only be running the heat producing stuff during the cool nights.

Top Bottom