Plant Available Silicon, Soluble Silicon In Fertilizer Sources, Aafpco Approved Method

• Thread starter Quantrill
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jasper Geist

Jasper Geist

Speaking of Agsil 16h... You simply cannot beat the price. I know when I use Protekt my PH climbs from 5.5 to 10.5
I gather all potassium silicates do the same. Well, talking to a guy and he mentioned a silica that doesn't effect the PH. The product is called Aqua Synergy by Potent Growth. It's "precipitated silica, not Potassium silicate."
http://potentgrowth.com/products/aqua-synergy
I think the price is way too high... so, I thought I'd check out "precipitated silica" to see if it is like Agsil and can be purchased in it's raw state for less. I haven't found a source yet and haven't put much effort into it either. So, is precipitated silica a viable silica that offers the benefits but not the PH hike???

chillywilly

chillywilly

Greetings all,
My go to silica product is Patrick Flanagan's Crystal Energy that has potassium and magnesium carbonate, silica and oleic acid. A 4oz bottle runs 45 bills but is very concentrated. The product has a very high zeta, and is nano science. I've used for years for myself as it alleviates pain in my joints, does well for plants in feed or foliar.

NE Gardens

NE Gardens

Thanks for putting this info together, this is very cool. Agsil 25 is just a solution of agsil 16 diluted at about 560 grams per gallon h20, yeah?

Which is exactly the same as protekt right?

How much of the agsil25/protekt solution would you have to add to achieve the 15-20 ppm SI that the chart above recommends for a drip system?

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Thanks for putting this info together, this is very cool. Agsil 25 is just a solution of agsil 16 diluted at about 560 grams per gallon h20, yeah?

How much of the agsil25/protekt solution would you have to add to achieve the 15-20 ppm SI that the chart above recommends for a drip system?

This would be the Agsil 16H @ 560g to a gallon then used at the rate below per gallon would give you the ppms your looking for.

1.5mL= 14.46ppm
2.0mL = 19.28ppm

I get it here and they ship fast with UPS !!!
www.customhydronutrients.com

Last edited:
Quantrill

Quantrill

AgSil 25 is a 2.5 weight ratio (SiO2:K2O) potassium silicate 20.8% SiO2 and 8.3% K2O (20.8/8.3=2.5)
AgSil 16H is a 1.6 weight ratio potassium silicate, 52.8% SiO2 and 32.4% K2O (52.8/32.4=1.6)

So Agsil 25 is not a solution of agsil 16h. In fact agsil 16h is a spray dried powder, so it started out as a liquid.

Quantrill

Quantrill

errr....my point to the previous post was to point out that AgSil 16 will give you different potassium numbers when compared at the same silicon concentration as agsil 25 or protekt.

shaggyballs

shaggyballs

My hydro store gave me a sample of FaSilitor. Your chart seems to suggest it is a very dilute product (by comparison)

They recommend 0.5ml/g

I am using a DIY bubbler to start seedlings/clones, and F & D to finish

Can you explain?

Thanks

Hey there PhatNuggz!
On any of the Canna boards, it is a good idea to get into the habit of asking very specific questions, otherwise people just won't take the time to answer a question if they are not sure what exactly you are asking.
People ask the silliest things and some of the more advanced players have been asked things over and over.
Your question was "Can you explain?"
I think you wanted someone to explain why do they suggest such a low dose if there low concentrations of silicon.
If it has paclo or other similar substances in there (hypothetically of course), that would be a good reason to keep the dosage low.
The tests don"t lie, so it has less silicon but it is used at a lower dose, I would have to guess some kind of hidden ingredient..just my first instinct and only my opinion.
But it looks like you smell something fishy going on here like I do.

Peace
Shag

NightsWatch

NightsWatch

Who cares about available in reality i mean i have a full tanks of gas, in my truck, so how much is available.
Same thing applies with plant type which actually absorbs more silica then others ..

There should be unbiased lab tests done sure on each and everyone of these products compared to a good rich organic soil . And see what dry leaf tests say on plant Silica content what if the results showed same or no more uptake etc well at least is sure in the hell better show allot more right not 000.01 more non sense

And end this snake oil debate once and for all

I guarantee you, people might be shocked at the outcome,. But again do what ever you think is best

PS would plants stalks and stem be stronger grown in a area with 40 - 50 mph of winds compared to a plant with 1 mph wind ???

If we placed same strain with o wind movement on plant one fed with silica supplement, other just a good organic mixed soil you think in 4 weeks time you can tell the difference if your life depended on it probably not .
Because they would look identical

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

I stopped using silica and never looked back. Numbers never changed, costs just went up.

Fresh Starts

Fresh Starts

I use silica at 5-10 ppm in working solution and have seen great benefit to my plants in terms of stem strength and resistance to disease and pests. I know that the table above recommends- 45-50 ppm for soiless use and I'm sure that works out just fine but the benefits of silicon can be given to the plant whilst using a lower dose. This is just my own experience, FWIW.

@Quantrill
Do you know of a lab that tests leaf tissue for silica content?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom