Plant Available Silicon, Soluble Silicon In Fertilizer Sources, Aafpco Approved Method

• Thread starter Quantrill
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Quantrill

Quantrill

Fresh Starts said:
Do you know of a lab that tests leaf tissue for silica content?

I don't see why any lab that performs tissue analysis shouldn't be able to include silicon in the testing. Its not going to be a common or routine test for them, but if asked, any agricultural lab should be capable of doing the analysis.

The problem is finding a lab that is close enough to you, that you can hand deliver, and that is willing to take your tissue.

fyi, my recommended concentration of any element in the working solution is highly variable according to the fertigation frequency. If you are fertigating more than once a week with silicon, the level in the working solution can and arguably should be lower than 45-50 ppm Si. Hence the table.

Silicon in Agriculture, From Theory to Practice
By Yongchao Liang, Miroslav Nikolic, Richard Bélanger, Haijun Gong, Alin Song

If you really want to be as up to date as you can be as a layman, read that book. I will loan you my copy if you are serious.

Last edited:
Fresh Starts

Fresh Starts

I don't see why any lab that performs tissue analysis shouldn't be able to include silicon in the testing. Its not going to be a common or routine test for them, but if asked, any agricultural lab should be capable of doing the analysis.

The problem is finding a lab that is close enough to you, that you can hand deliver, and that is willing to take your tissue.

fyi, my recommended concentration of any element in the working solution is highly variable according to the fertigation frequency. If you are fertigating more than once a week with silicon, the level in the working solution can and arguably should be lower than 45-50 ppm Si. Hence the table.

Silicon in Agriculture, From Theory to Practice
By Yongchao Liang, Miroslav Nikolic, Richard Bélanger, Haijun Gong, Alin Song

If you really want to be as up to date as you can be as a layman, read that book. I will loan you my copy if you are serious.

yeah I fertigate using silica in every irrigation event and I irrigate at three times a day during peak bloom depending on plant metabolism. That book is a great recommendation from what I can see using the provided link. I will add it to my list books to order. I was not saying that the amount of silica in solution was wrong BTW- I was just stating that silica levels can be lower and the positive effects of the ion will be present. Whether or not the benefits are adequate is relative to species and grower. Appreciate the info as always @Quantrill

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Note the strong main stems on these young'uns. Feeding Aptus at 0.5ml/g

IMG 3723

chillywilly

chillywilly

I greetings,
as well do silica on each or every other...but I use Patrick Flanagan crystal energy nano/angrostrom particle . . . able to penetrate plant membrane... large particles-small-tiny-sub/atomic- mono/atomic... particulate ... volcanic ash assist in overall quality consisting of silica components... Flanagan's Crystal energy shines as to its ability to permeate... alongside with fulvic gives you a simple program to be able to do...no complications...
cw

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
yeah I fertigate using silica in every irrigation event and I irrigate at three times a day during peak bloom depending on plant metabolism. That book is a great recommendation from what I can see using the provided link. I will add it to my list books to order. I was not saying that the amount of silica in solution was wrong BTW- I was just stating that silica levels can be lower and the positive effects of the ion will be present. Whether or not the benefits are adequate is relative to species and grower. Appreciate the info as always @Quantrill
I'm doing something similar @Fresh Starts Using the AgSil Stock @ 2.5mL 24.106ppm with every feeding so that's about 3 times week and shit is blowing up compared to Aptus silicon b/s way thicker stalk and over all healthier plants.

Purple Buds

chinqlinq

chinqlinq

Soluble silicon is not the same as some bioavailable silicic acid. Water solubility % is not the same as plant available silicon. If I'm interpreting the original post's chart correctly, the percentages is just for water solubility, meaning how much of the silicon/silica dissolves and is usable in the feed water, but like I mentioned, it does NOT translate to what is actually instantly available to the plant. Don't let the solubility % confuse you with availability.

Willem Adrianus Kros is the discoverer and inventor of water soluble and stable bioavailable silicic acid as far as my brief researching goes.
SOURCE:
https://www.google.com/patents/US7915198

The easiest 'layman' method of being able to tell if your silica additive is a true silicic acid, or just a run-of-the-mill potassium silicate variant is whether or not it drops or raises your pH. True silicic acid is VERY acidic and should lower your pH in pure water and should also test at lower than a pH level of 2.0 or less if testing the straight concentrated liquid. Powered or liquid potassium silicate is basic and will raise your pH. I'm sure you've heard before that you can use standard forms of silica to raise your pH rather than using a conventional 'pH UP' liquid.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

So use up that sample the hydro store gave you then head to CHN and grab some Agsil 16H mix up a gallon and have 3.25% plant available silicon and save some bread.

Being as I am a personal use grower, and that APTUS recommends 0.5ml/g it will take a long time to use the 4 ozs

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Soluble silicon is not the same as some bioavailable silicic acid. Water solubility % is not the same as plant available silicon. If I'm interpreting the original post's chart correctly, the percentages is just for water solubility, meaning how much of the silicon/silica dissolves and is usable in the feed water, but like I mentioned, it does NOT translate to what is actually instantly available to the plant. Don't let the solubility % confuse you with availability.

Willem Adrianus Kros is the discoverer and inventor of water soluble and stable bioavailable silicic acid as far as my brief researching goes.
SOURCE:
https://www.google.com/patents/US7915198

The easiest 'layman' method of being able to tell if your silica additive is a true silicic acid, or just a run-of-the-mill potassium silicate variant is whether or not it drops or raises your pH. True silicic acid is VERY acidic and should lower your pH in pure water and should also test at lower than a pH level of 2.0 or less if testing the straight concentrated liquid. Powered or liquid potassium silicate is basic and will raise your pH. I'm sure you've heard before that you can use standard forms of silica to raise your pH rather than using a conventional 'pH UP' liquid.

All the test at Thornton Laboratories ARE PLANT AVAILABLE SILICON , what part of that don't you understand????

Quantrill

Quantrill

1. The 5-Day Na2CO3-NH4NO3 Soluble Si Extraction Method can be applied to quantify the plant-available Si in solid fertilizer products at levels ranging from 0.2 to 8.4% Si with an LOD of 0.06%, and LOQ of 0.20%. This Si extraction method for fertilizers correlates well with plant uptake of Si... link
  2. Although Si is ubiquitous in nature, making up 25.7% of the earth’s crust , not all forms of silicon found in soils or fertilizer products are soluble and plant-available . The form of Si in soils that is soluble and available for plant uptake is monosilicic acid [Si(OH)4], more commonly referred to as silicic acid or soluble silicon . link
  3. Soluble Silicon – is that portion of the silicon contained in non-liquid fertilizer materials and/or beneficial compounds that is soluble in a mixture of 0.094 Molar Sodium Carbonate and 0.20 Molar Ammonium Nitrate and is a measure of monosilicic acid by a validated or approved method. It is expressed as H4SiO4 link
  4. What is Soluble Silicon? S l bl Sili (M Soluble Silicon (Mono-Sili i A id) i th l t Silicic Acid) is the plant- available portion of the silica that makes up over 40% of soil chemistry. It is generally present in plant tissues in amounts similar to that of macronu macronut i t (N P K C M S) d i trients (N, P, K, Ca, Mg, S) and in some grasses and grass family crops, often at higher levels than other macronutrients.
  5. Silicic acid or mono silicic acid (Si(OH)4, or H4SiO4) refers to the soluble, plant available form of silicon in soils. link
  6. Available Silicon (Si)” is the soluble portion of the total silicon in a fertilizer known as monosilicic acid [Si(OH)4]. link
chingling said:
True silicic acid is VERY acidic and should lower your pH in pure water and should also test at lower than a pH level of 2.0 or less if testing the straight concentrated liquid.
wrong again, you seem to be parroting bullshit you heard from the folks scamming you.

if you think your magic crystals or your anti-freeze/chloride concoction is the best source of plant available silicon, then step up and have it analyzed by the lab and i will add it to the listing. Until then, keep reading/learning, and stop wasting my time with myths.

chinqlinq

chinqlinq

Stand corrected, unfortunately cant delete that previous post haha . I delved into a bunch of research papers written on silicon/silica after posting that and what I couldn't 100% verify was if soluble silicates became plant available silicic acid the moment it was diluted into water (stock solution or in your feed reservoir).

The reason I am a huge believer in mono/orthosilicic acid was because since the first day I foliar sprayed Fasilitor, not root drenched mind you, my plants grew WAY thicker, branched out more, and repaired damaged branches quicker and better than I thought was possible. I can't say the same for potassium silicate, AGSIL16 powder specifically, which I used for about a year before I pulled the trigger to buy a liter of Fasilitor. I stopped buying AGSIL after I ran out and just ran with Fasilitor, and then moved onto another orthosilicic brand.

Fortunately because of this thread I just spent about an hour looking into whether or not silicates were instantly bioavailable, which made me side track into reading about all the other benefits of silica in general for our plants that I didn't know...

- Watering silica consistently is better than foliar spraying for long term preventative maintenance of powdery mildew because it is immobile once it is stored in a cell wall, so having a constant supply of it via roots allows it to transport the silica to areas of the plants that's needed. Foliar is obviously beneficial too but short lasting, but is better for attacking an existing PM problem.
- Watering silica helps activate the plants systemic acquired resistance
- Helps plant uptake more phosphorus

I'm tired but I wish could recall all the other benefits I read from just feeding silica. Definitely gonna go get me a 50lbs bag now and reincorporate it from veg to bloom.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Fresh Starts

Fresh Starts

Quantrill please start an anti-fake cannabis news Outlet called "Canna-truth serum" and lets separate all this hogwash once and for all.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

^^^ Now that's funny, yet all too true

Last edited:
chillywilly

chillywilly

Peace,
Patrick Flanagan crystal energy shines through the process of getting silica to plants with nano /angstrom fully soluable product @ 45/1 bottle or 3@90, lasts a long time on one 4 oz bottle...food grade.penetrates all membranes...use with Georges distilled Aloe...
cw

xenon730

xenon730

Peace,
Patrick Flanagan crystal energy shines through the process of getting silica to plants with nano /angstrom fully soluable product @ 45/1 bottle or 3@90, lasts a long time on one 4 oz bottle...food grade.penetrates all membranes...use with Georges distilled Aloe...
cw
wat.

EDIT: upon googling, this stuff is out there.

Top Bottom