Plant Spacing and Light Layout

• Thread starter Decisive
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mrdizzle

I have also noticed that the buds that end up 5-8inch away from the bulb do not get bigger than buds 10-15inch away, they seems to get caked in resin which I believe is to protect the bud from burning

Widowmaker

Widowmaker

Lighting stuff

View attachment 400px-Inverse_square_law_svg.bmp
The r is for radius, lets say at 8" you get x amount of light at 2r or 16" you're going to get 1/4 or 25% as much light and at 3r or 24" you're getting 1/9 or 11% as much light. The lamps we use are not a perfect point source of light so this rule doesn't hold up exactly.

Coverage

Roughly speaking most of the light coming out of a vertical 1000W HPS lamp is in a 90 degree area, 45 degrees up and 45 degrees down. The brightest being in the very middle. @ 8" it covers 1' 4"

Light spread Hortilux EYE HPS bare lamp 1000W

These are measurements I've taken
:icon_spin:

1000W Hortilux HPS Throw a
aleYarok

aleYarok

so with cool tubes how close should i let the plant get to the tube? ~46-48" centers

deacon1503

deacon1503

so with cool tubes how close should i let the plant get to the tube? ~46-48" centers

I remember reading that DD said that with cool tubes using a/c for supply he could grasp the tube with his hand with a 1k lit. If so, then u can put it as close as u want. Maybe 12"?

aleYarok

aleYarok

I remember reading that DD said that with cool tubes using a/c for supply he could grasp the tube with his hand with a 1k lit. If so, then u can put it as close as u want. Maybe 12"?

not worried about the heat, i can touch the tube, it isnt cool but it isnt hot, just a bit warm. im more worried about "choking" the light

if your bulb touches the plant, you lights footprint goes down to about 6inch, you choke out the light

so is 12" as close as i can get before this starts to happen?

M

mrdizzle

a ft allows the light to hit the bottom buds as well as the top buds, no worries if they get closer, if you notice the plants are choking the lights out then you can always tie the plant back to your cages to help

aleYarok

aleYarok

thanks guys, ill try to keep everything 12" away from the lights...
dizzle what height do you think i should flip bubba at? i think u flipped her at around 3ft? will the stretch still be the same as your 4k - 5mbp or will it be more because of the 8k - 5mpb?

M

mrdizzle

my center plant usually is the biggest plant by a little bit in height, but its really wide, it turns into a huge fucking plant

you should still flip around 3ft and take a ride, the plants wont be taller than 5ft no doubt

G

GBOOST

When they say on center is regarding bulb to bulb not bulb to stem.

there is no way you have a 6.5' wide plant in between 2 bulbs that are spaced 40" apart... care to explain this?

I assume you mean you have a 6.5' plant on 80" centers?

Yeah when I say 40" centres I'm talking from bulb to stem, not stem to stem. It then puzzles me if people are talking bulb to bulb, or stem to stem, why a 4 plant 5 light setup can't easily fit in an 8x8' room? People keep saying even 10x10 is too small, but for instance, if we put the lights in the 4 corners, and 1 in the centre, 8ft is 96", the plant doesn't grow so much on the wall side of the light and you can train it out from the rear anyway towards the light, so lets say the light is 4" off the wall, that gives 44" from stem to bulb, or 88" Diameter everywhere except the wall side.

Even if we allow 15"" on the rear of the plant to the wall, thats still 33"" from stem to centre bulb and 40+" to the corners and allows a minimum 66" or over a 5ft round plant to the centre bulb. I guess I'm thinking a little more laterally then most, as I'm setting up a tent in a lung room, rather than building a room, so I can open up all 4 sides to tend to and check the plants rather than having to crawl in, under and around them. We'll find out just how tight it ends up soon!

Ozzie

B

bigtrees

ATTN LOST DIZZLE WINDOW ? IVE DRAW UP DESIGN AFTER DESIGN .... ON THE 40" CENTERS... XOXOXOXOX DOESN'T WORK IN A PERFECT WORD I MASTERED GOOGLE SKETCH IN THE WORKS OF THIS. DO YOU STAGGER THE ROWS. ON 40" CENTERS JUST LOOKS WAY TO TIGHT. SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS DDS'S SETUP
garden127.jpg
LIGHTS.jpg
WHICH IS IT

Widowmaker

Widowmaker

Some DDs quotes

03-05-2009, 02:42 AM
Hi there Doubleds, paying my repect to a great farmer.
I've never done recirculating DWC and would like to learn if you could share just some basic info., since you have it dialed in.
You're yielding insanely with those G13 ladies.
I've been growing under 1000W per flood/drain 4x4 tables with 25 (Reef. RM-38 HP) plants per table and yield is consistent at 2.4-2.7 LB.
What I want to know is how do you arranged the 28 lights and 23 plants and what is the res. size you're using.
Does the plants sit in the nutrient water all the time or they are drain and recirculate on interval.
Thanks in advance for any experiences you could share.

The dwc is constantly recirculating at very high speeds. Roots sit right in the nute solution, no air between bottom of the pail and nutes. I use 2 res's, both 100 gallon, 10 plants on 1 and 13 on the other.

x0x0x0x0x0x
0x0x0x0x0x0
x0x0x0x0x0x

x being plant 0 being 1000 watt hortilux

03-24-2010,
i dont need to use side lighting for the early clones. I only take clones from the very tip pf the plant so they have great branching already. I root them in 4 inch cubes , 4 cuttings per so they lack for nothing during the rooting process. The already developed brnches keep growing and i have bushes in two weeks from cut. Then they go into the bucket system. I dont know if you have seen this b4 but my plants always get a little lumen shock when they go to the buckets in the flowering room, The plants stops growing vertically but the shock doesnt stop the branches, they keep on growing while the main shoot doesnt. It works great.

My room is cut into a big L. Long part of the L has 13 plants and the short part has 10.
ok, the 13 plant side , each plant gets a minumum of 3 1000 watts each with the 5 in the middle row gets light from 4 - 1000 watters. These middle ones were over 4 lbs and the outside ones were a minimum of 3 lbs

x0x0x0x0x0
0x0x0x0x0x0
x0x0x0x0x0 this is the 13 plant room x being plant and 0 being light.

x x x x
0 0 0 0
x x x x
0 0 0 0
x x

This is the 10 plant room and although betsy (middle x 2nd from left) yielded over 3 lbs, the rest were 1.5 lbs.
This is why my average didnt reach 2 per. If we look at the 13 plant side i yielded and average of 3 lbs 4 ounces.

2 x's missing in 10 plnt room (bottom left ) is where the door is.

Hope this helps explain. If it was setup the same then i would average over 3 lbs plus and thats why i said my goal was to hit 4 plus this run..... 13 plant side.

My 2 cents,
Maybe the lumen shock to the top of the cutting makes the plant shorter than it would be normally.
Good luck, post pictures, would love to see you succeed!

Widowmaker

Widowmaker

ATTN LOST DIZZLE WINDOW ? IVE DRAW UP DESIGN AFTER DESIGN .... ON THE 40" CENTERS... XOXOXOXOX DOESN'T WORK IN A PERFECT WORD I MASTERED GOOGLE SKETCH IN THE WORKS OF THIS. DO YOU STAGGER THE ROWS. ON 40" CENTERS JUST LOOKS WAY TO TIGHT. SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS DDS'S SETUP
garden127.jpg
LIGHTS.jpg
WHICH IS IT

FWIW, the 10 plant layout is a far superior layout because 6 plants have 4 lights around them. The other design only has 3 plants surrounded by 4 lights. Assuming your trying to grow the biggest plants. Other factors, You will need to get into the room and service your plants. Your total weight maybe better with 11 plants. Good luck and post some PICS!!
PS hope you read this whole thread, lots of good INFO!!

Widowmaker

Widowmaker

1st time MPB grower Harvest

Got a call from a 1st time MPB grower that had just harvested some 3 1/2 lbs plants. The big yields were the Mr Nice Guy (G13 + Hashplant). The spacing was 40" or 28" stem to lamp center. They used 6x6x6 rockwool cubes and followed DDs instructions. Thats some impressive results!!
Mr Nice Guy 3

Mr Nice Guy Buds 1

Mr Nice Guy Buds 2

mikeross

mikeross

looks good. Was this their first time with the sensi genetics? Do you have any ideas on the amount of phenos there where and what pheno they decided to run.

I am thinking of buying a pack or two... it will be my first time germinating seeds so any help I can get it much appreciated.

What do you mean by spacing 40" but 28" stem to lamp... wouldn't that give a spacing 56" bulb to bulb?

Again looks killer... How many lights.

More pics?

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

All I can say is holy shit, dem's some big colas!

DD would be proud! and nice modeling too...:giggle

G

GBOOST

Oh my FUCKING GOD! Thats insane! I guess it goes to show that not only was his 40" centres not a typo or miscalculation, but also that if you follow his directions and had similar genetics, its not a fluke to achieve similar results.

What do you mean by spacing 40" but 28" stem to lamp... wouldn't that give a spacing 56" bulb to bulb?

If you think about how your plants and lights are layed out in typical format, the lights are diagonally positioned to the plant. So picture 4 plants in a square, 40" centre to centre. Now put a light smack in the centre of the square. Its not 20" from plant to light, think of pythagoras theorem, its 56" diagionally, or 28" from light centre to plant centre:banana1sv6:

Ozzie

Widowmaker

Widowmaker

Heres the room layout that the Mr Nice Guy was grown. We are doing a new room and the spacing is going to be a little bigger, 42" centers.

Mr Nice Guy room 1 light layout

Mr Nice Guy room 1 overview

Mr Nice Guy room 1 tub layout

Widowmaker

Widowmaker

looks good. Was this their first time with the sensi genetics? Do you have any ideas on the amount of phenos there where and what pheno they decided to run.

Mr Nice Guy was a cutting from a friend. Thats all we know about it.

Top Bottom