Planting In Off Season To Keep Soil Good?

• Thread starter Capfan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Capfan

Capfan

looking for some ligature specifically towards cannabis about planting certain species in the off season to help enrich the soil or help fight off bad stuff.

I've read and been told it's never good to replant in the same spot year after year without assisting the soil.

Local wheat/corn/etc farmers stagger different crops every year.

Thoughts?

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
looking for some ligature specifically towards cannabis about planting certain species in the off season to help enrich the soil or help fight off bad stuff.

I've read and been told it's never good to replant in the same spot year after year without assisting the soil.

Thoughts?
I use broard brand it fixes N into the soil and I chop them into the ground when the plant is in 10% flower that's when the bean is at its peak of N production perfect winter ground cover .

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I use broard brand it fixes N into the soil and I chop them into the ground when the plant is in 10% flower that's when the bean is at its peak of N production perfect winter ground cover .
You can also use Rocket lettuce as well it helps clean up the ground and inoculate the area both crops very easy to grow hope that helps you out mate .

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl

Thoughts?
Cover cropping is what you're talking about. I was doing it at our house up north in my raised beds, both off season to keep the soil alive and during the growing season to reduce water usage. It works *very* well, but you do want to take some care in what you choose for cover cropping. @Blaze has been doing it in his OD raised bed cultivation as well.

Let me do some searching, I have SOMEWHERE a cover crop chart that helps you decide what to plant.

Ok... let's see if these'll upload. Ok, I'm able to upload all the pdfs but I couldn't upload the xls file (cover crop calculator, try Googling it, see if you can get the spreadsheet version).

HTH!

View attachment Cover Crops Solutions Chart.pdf View attachment Cover_crops_for_all_seasons.pdf View attachment Evaluation of cover crops in reduced tillage systems for organic.pdf
One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Sorry that's broard beans .

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Cover cropping is what you're talking about. I was doing it at our house up north in my raised beds, both off season to keep the soil alive and during the growing season to reduce water usage. It works *very* well, but you do want to take some care in what you choose for cover cropping. @Blaze has been doing it in his OD raised bed cultivation as well.

Let me do some searching, I have SOMEWHERE a cover crop chart that helps you decide what to plant.

Ok... let's see if these'll upload. Ok, I'm able to upload all the pdfs but I couldn't upload the xls file (cover crop calculator, try Googling it, see if you can get the spreadsheet version).

HTH!
Cool links @Seamaiden .

Homesteader

Homesteader

Do you hunt deer? I cover crop with what they eat. Oats, Clover, Beets (next year), Radish. Tillage radish is the shit. Seed is expensive though but worth it to drop a few dimes.

Last edited:
Capfan

Capfan

Thanks for the input!

@Seamaiden you feel these cover crops will help battle any problems with replanting on the same site over and over?

My route this year is to turn the top soil, break all the root ball matters up, break the stumps down, lay more compost down and restart , just feel adding something in the winter or pre season to help with the soil.

@Blaze id love your 2cents!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, I do. And if you use crops such as the tillage radish mentioned, or mustard (grow a very deep tap root) then you'll also be helping to pull up any minerals that are held too deep in the soil for other plants to get to. At the very least you'll be keeping the soil alive in the meantime. To that end, I no longer pull or break up roots, I leave them be and plant over them. Remember, mycorrhizae only live on living root systems (and they're not associated with Brassica spp, such as mustard, and IIRC it's rhizobacteria that associate with N-fixing legumes, which only really fix atmospheric N when soil N levels are too low)(IIRC).

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
When people speak of rotating crops, it's because of excesses built up in the soil. I find a nice helping of either lime or gypsum along with a cover crop and several large drenches makes any soil good to go the next year.

Evergreenz

Evergreenz

HTH!
Thank you Greatly for these Pdf's Seamaiden!

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Speaking of mycorrhizae, c4 cover crops farm myco's. That is where I select most of my cover crops, that and clover.

Blaze

Blaze

I think Seamaiden and Bulldog covered the basics pretty well. Take a look at that chart, think about what your main goals for the cover crop is then select what plants will work best to achieve that.

The one thing I would add is that cover crops also make for great weed suppression with the right mix. In my opinion that is actually one of the biggest benefits we have seen on our farm, not having to pull weeds is a huge time saver, especially ridiculously gigantic weeds that have been supercharged by our nice rich soil. Once established cover crops can be more effective than herbicides in my opinion.

Using a mix of plants is generally considered a good way to improve the bio-diveristy of your soil and preserve it's health as well. Our mix always has a blend of severa species. This year was Fava beans, Bio-master Peas, Yellow Peas, Sugar Snap peas, Purple Vetch, Common Vetch, Hairy Vetch and Cayuse. The main goal for this mix was weed suppression, improvement of soil organic matter, and to create a habitat for beneficial organisms. The sugar snap and yellow were a new addition, and we added in extra peas and fava beans in the hope that maybe we could get some food off the cover crop this year as well (I love fava beans!).

Oh and birds love cover crops. Consider bird netting if it becomes a big issue. I just seed at 3x the recommended rate and figure the wild life will get half of it.

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
A guild is considered best practice for cover cropping. At least three species, five are better, mo' is better than that.

Top Bottom