Plants doesn't smell/loose odour under LED lights.

• Thread starter makrela95
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

makrela95

Hello everyone.
Does anybody nad this problem, when cannabis plants smell like grass under LED lights?
The plants on the picture have been growing under HPS bulb, its 120x120x220 rent, and they smelled wonderful, had to buy carbon filtr because of it.
Week ago I switched to Spider Farmer SF4000, and they just stopped smelling like under HPS.
Temperature 24-25°C (around 77°F for american friends). Humidity is at 50-60%.
First I was thinking light is just too close, but my HPS bulb was even closer and still smelled very good.
My second thought is that my plants are missing maybe IR light? But why if my LED panel is full spectrum.
The only thing I changed was light.
2 plants are in soil, 4 in DWC .
Plants doesnt smellloose odour under led lights

PooToe

PooToe

From the pic it looks like the plant is in its final phase. Grass smell could be from the chlorophyl breaking down.

IMO, aroma at the end of harvest is a bad thing. Terpenes develop as sheets of water on your trichomes. When temps are high the terpenes will evaporate off the trichome. 70° is where the most sensitive terps start to evaporate. Probably why you read people talking about lowering the temperature the last few weeks before harvest to build up the terpenes along with the 60/60 dry/cure rule so that you don't evaporate terps now that the plant can't make more to replace them.

M

makrela95

From the pic it looks like the plant is in its final phase. Grass smell could be from the chlorophyl breaking down.

IMO, aroma at the end of harvest is a bad thing. Terpenes develop as sheets of water on your trichomes. When temps are high the terpenes will evaporate off the trichome. 70° is where the most sensitive terps start to evaporate. Probably why you read people talking about lowering the temperature the last few weeks before harvest to build up the terpenes along with the 60/60 dry/cure rule so that you don't evaporate terps now that the plant can't make more to replace them.
But with HPS light IT was closer, emitting more heat. Now growtent is colder. It's not first time I have it. Just one week with LED lamp and I want to sent it back. First I was guessing I had cheap Chinese LED, but Jo I spent 400€ on lamp and it's still the same.
So I can eliminate temperature as reason why it's happening.
I'm gonna change LED light for HPS again and see if smell comes back.

Newty

Newty

It's hard to tell because the plant is aging, it could of done the same thing in a week under the hps. How close to harvest are you?

M

makrela95

It's hard to tell because the plant is aging, it could of done the same thing in a week under the hps. How close to harvest are you?
Around 2 weeks for 5 plants, 4-5 for other one. I already done partial harvest for one plant, top buds were done (but without smell). I tried to save money by using LED but now I'm not so sure about it.
My last 4 grows under led was the same, so I switched to HPS, but it was taking too much electricity. So it's now my first grow and I war trying lot of different things to change it, but now I need to surrender and ask someone more experienced.

Newty

Newty

Around 2 weeks for 5 plants, 4-5 for other one. I already done partial harvest for one plant, top buds were done (but without smell). I tried to save money by using LED but now I'm not so sure about it.
My last 4 grows under led was the same, so I switched to HPS, but it was taking too much electricity. So it's now my first grow and I war trying lot of different things to change it, but now I need to surrender and ask someone more experienced.
Wish I could help. If you want to use the led, you might just have to experiment with changing how you grow but idk exactly what changes.

M

makrela95

Wish I could help. If you want to use the led, you might just have to experiment with changing how you grow but idk exactly what changes.
I'll try to add more IR with additional lamps.
I forgot to tell, I also was growing outdoor but my neighbours didn't like intense smell. It was in all in soil, adding only water, New York Diesel strain. After putting it under led in my growtent, smell disappeared after 2 days.
As far as I read on this forum and others, HPS lamps are most similar to sun. I checked spectrum and they produce a lot of orange red and some IR +heat just like you would stand in sun in summer at 1 pm.
Bad I dont understand how other people are still able to make the plants small that good as they describe. Maybe they're lying or I'm just an idiot 😅😅

Top Bottom