Plants shown to die in presence of WiFi routers in experiment

• Thread starter fractal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I dig your wife, she's smart. You're getting good fats and Ca from the yogurt, and good sugars and K from the banana. Did you know that if your Ca levels are off your heart can stop beating? Also, it is the reaction between Ca and K that causes our muscle cells to contract. If K is out of balance with Ca one of the effects is muscle cramping and possibly soreness.

sixstring

sixstring

yeah no banana 2 days ago cause we were out and my left foot was cramping all day.so its like I cut off the nutes(banana) and my foot got the claw in under 24 hours wtf

squiggly

squiggly

I dig your wife, she's smart. You're getting good fats and Ca from the yogurt, and good sugars and K from the banana. Did you know that if your Ca levels are off your heart can stop beating? Also, it is the reaction between Ca and K that causes our muscle cells to contract. If K is out of balance with Ca one of the effects is muscle cramping and possibly soreness.

Too much K can also stop your heart.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Well fortunately I've never been able to scarf down enough bananas to stop my heart!
yeah no banana 2 days ago cause we were out and my left foot was cramping all day.so its like I cut off the nutes(banana) and my foot got the claw in under 24 hours wtf
LMAO! You've gotta tell her that.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I apologize that I must do this tty, but this is all malarkey.

Electromagnetic radiation is all of the same form, the force carrier is the photon (not the electron). The difference in energy/frequency of the photon packet is what causes the different effects we see.

On the high energy side of the spectrum (high frequency/short wavelength) we have cosmic rays, then gamma rays, and x-rays. All of these are ionizing radiation. Gamma rays basically blow molecules apart. X-rays excite electrons on the inner shell of molecules (much higher energy than valence electrons) and can also break bonds and ionize species.

Then we get to the UV-Vis part of the spectrum we're all familiar with. The wavelengths here are about 20-400nm (UV) and 400-700nm (Vis), whereas gamma rays are less than 10pm by contrast (smaller than diameter of an atom). UV-Vis radiation excites valence electrons.

Then we get to infrared, which cause an excitation in vibrational levels of molecules--then to microwaves which cause excitation in rotational energy levels (lower energy than vibrational level excitations), then finally to radiowaves which interact only with the nucleus, and are used in nuclear alignment studies (the basis for MRI and NMR technologies). The wavelengths here are meter sized.

Ultimately the difference in effects has to do with the energy of the photon pack, because energy levels in molecules are quantized, radiation must match exactly the required energy input for a given excitation in a molecule or it will not interact appreciably.

A more physical way to look at this is to think of the size difference between the radio wave and an atom. The wavelength is so long that the chance of a photon propagating along that path interacting with a single atom is incredibly unlikely--and even if it were to the energy would be much too low to make any changes to the molecules.

Now the other type of radiation you're talking about is nuclear radiation. This occurs when the actual nuclei of an atom or an atom that is a component of a molecule breaks apart into two new daughter nuclei or change their charge state.

In alpha radiation you actually lose two protons and two neutrons, known as an alpha particle. In beta radiation you either emit a high energy electron, or you emit a high energy positron accompanied by an electron antineutrino.

These are different processes.

Beta radiation is some of the most dangerous radiation (along with gamma ray photons), because it is very penetrating. However, if ingested, alpha radiation is much more damaging than either.

While there is radiation on the electromagnetic spectrum which can be responsible for the same types of problems as those occurring from nuclear decay, they are two very different processes.

Never apologize for righting one of my wrongs. I'm after the truth, and I whiffed this one hard.

neverbreak

neverbreak

Should I make a thread, Sea's yogurt 101? :D I fucking love yogurt.

hell yeah ya should! i also love yogurt n am keen to see how ya do it in a microwave. i used to make my own, but cooked the milk on a stovetop. ended up stoppin as it was too much of a fuckaround. if there's an easy way to do it in a microwave, i wanna see this.

neverbreak

ttystikk

ttystikk

hell yeah ya should! i also love yogurt n am keen to see how ya do it in a microwave. i used to make my own, but cooked the milk on a stovetop. ended up stoppin as it was too much of a fuckaround. if there's an easy way to do it in a microwave, i wanna see this.

neverbreak

I used to do it in the microwave all the time, by accident; I'd warm milk in a bottle for my daughter, forget about it, and come back in a few hours and bam! Yogurt!

neverbreak

neverbreak

I used to do it in the microwave all the time, by accident; I'd warm milk in a bottle for my daughter, forget about it, and come back in a few hours and bam! Yogurt!

really, as simple as that? no addin cultures, just warm the milk n yer set? i've gotta give this a go...

neverbreak

ttystikk

ttystikk

really, as simple as that? no addin cultures, just warm the milk n yer set? i've gotta give this a go...

neverbreak

I'd stir in a spoonful of yogurt to start the culture, but otherwise, I'm guessing there isn't a lot more to it other than not letting the milk get too warm or get contaminated with another germ while it's happening.

neverbreak

neverbreak

so stir in the yogurt, heat n wait? how long did ya read it for? dunno how confident i'd be about it not gettin contaminated...

neverbreak

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Start with warmed milk, I prefer whole milk (but I don't need it). You can use very little culture to start, sometimes I've just swirled the milk around in an empty yogurt container (always plain live yogurt, never flavored or sweetened), but most folks start with about a teaspoon to a tablespoon.

Place in a non-metal bowl, the heavier the better (I have an old ceramic bowl that I like best), and then start warming the milk in 30 second bursts. Don't stir, just use 30 seconds, then let it sit for 5mins or so. You can certainly temp test, but I don't, I just feel the bowl. You want it no warmer than what you'd feed a baby. It needs to stay warm like this for a few hours, 4 is a minimum for me and 8 is a maximum, and then you either simply refrigerate, or strain through muslin (cheesecloth isn't fine enough), et voila, Greek yogurt.

If you're worried that something else might be able to outcompete the yogurt cultures, then cover with plastic film. I've yet to have something else grow.

The higher the fat content the nuttier and less tart the flavor.

Top Bottom