Plants Won't Grow Why?

• Thread starter Hellno187
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

motz

As far as outgrowing the pot, I wouldn't believe that they have exceeded the pot yet. Pull one out and see if they're root bound.
If so time to up pot. My own opinion on cuttings is if they are a known female put them in as big as pot you can. Usually what you finish'em in.
Don't use root stimulant so I can't give you any thing on that.
Fungus gnats, make sure you let your top dry out before watering or load up the top of the pot with an inch or so of perlite.
All plants are not of the same genetic makeup unless clones so all varieties don't grow the same.
Sativas will normally be taller, while Indys will be shorter and squattier. You can tell what you have by your leaves.
Hope this has been some help.
Also used to do the 24 hr light, down to 18. You need to have some sleep to don't ya, show'em some love. To late now but take into consideration for next time.

Hellno187

Hellno187

As far as outgrowing the pot, I wouldn't believe that they have exceeded the pot yet. Pull one out and see if they're root bound.
If so time to up pot. My own opinion on cuttings is if they are a known female put them in as big as pot you can. Usually what you finish'em in.
Don't use root stimulant so I can't give you any thing on that.
Fungus gnats, make sure you let your top dry out before watering or load up the top of the pot with an inch or so of perlite.
All plants are not of the same genetic makeup unless clones so all varieties don't grow the same.
Sativas will normally be taller, while Indys will be shorter and squattier. You can tell what you have by your leaves.
Hope this has been some help.
Also used to do the 24 hr light, down to 18. You need to have some sleep to don't ya, show'em some love. To late now but take into consideration for next time.

Yeah I did want to put them in bigger pot to start, but my first grow I did that and they never grew so I thought that might have been because of shock.
So this time I did an intermediate size to try and avoid any issues.
I take it when their ready to go in bigger pots I should see a few roots coming through the soil along the sides like I did with the rockwool?
LOL, next time I'll consider giving the girls a few hours rest. Have you noticed any real change in growth rate or anything when switching from 24 to 18 hours?
Also YES this has been a lot of help, any advice I can get is greatly appreciated.

M

motz

Exactly you can wait for a visual or pull one out and see.
Usually you can stunt your babies if you wait to long to up pot. Get all root bound and such.
For example: Fem seed suppose to be all female, like to throw them in their new home right away when they pop. Clones like to do the same thing with. That way they can fill up the pot without up potting.
Always remember what you see above the pot is what you have in the pot. Root structure should mirror the actual plant.
Don't notice difference between 24 and 18, except the 18 hrs might be healthier. A lot like humans and their need for sleep.
Also do 11 instead of 12 on the flower seems to be no diff. Both shorten your bill every month, though.
later

Hellno187

Hellno187

Awesome well if a 11-13 on-off light cycle for flower doesn't effect yield that's what I'll do for sure.
I'll check those roots either today or early tomorrow and see if I have any root escapees lol.
So what can I look for to know if my clones are root bound when inspecting these roots?
Does it have to be a nest of roots circling the entire pot?
Or can it be as small 10-15 roots that stick out say 4'' or so?

M

motz

When root bound it's just a big mass of roots in there, look for signs of browning of the roots if left in to long.
If those are in gallon containers they could possibly be bound up. Only way to be sure, pull one out and visually look.
This will be a good learning experience for you anyway. Observation and a keen eye go along way in this game.
Either way you had mentioned, I would be up potting.
Messed with some friends clones today done up in plastic 16oz. cups and they were all bound up already so it is possible and those were smaller than yours. Better have a look see

Hellno187

Hellno187

Alright motz took your advice and transplanted yesterday, also added some root stimulator.
All plants had bright white roots, and all were definitely ready for transplant.
I also have a new 6 bulb T5 shipping as we speak, that with my other T5 4 bulb and a 2 bulb strip should give my enough lumen for 8 plants I hope.
The biggest size pots I had on hand were 2 gallon however, is the going to give me a 2-3' plants?
Because I could get bigger ones, but I don't really have soil for that and there's little room.
Other then that, they don't appear to be any worse for wear after the move and look happy. :cool:
0VCk7N.jpg

M

motz

Was not sure if they were bound up or not, you should've seen a difference the very next day.yes
They almost look like they blew up, for ya.
You seem to be on a good course now.
You grow fish, you know fish only get as big as their environment lets 'em, yes. These aren't any different.
You can effectively grow big plants in small pots but it takes some learnin,before you flip I would grab some 5 gallon black buckets and put some 1 1/2 in holes in it.
Down to the bottom and a bout half way up, some people line with fabric cloth(kind of self pruning for roots and helps hold dirt back). Don't have to line, if you don't want to. The dirt will stay.

Just reread your post would definitely go to 3 gall sounds like that might be all you have room for.
Could have just about bought a dual mh/hps lamp setup for the cost of all the t5's, Buddy
Sounds like you'll be pushin about the same electricity and might be cheaper in the long run.
Live and learn, that's what it's all about.
Very nice so nice indeed

Last edited:
Hellno187

Hellno187

I'll look into getting some soil and buckets if that's whats necessary.
I was considering getting a mh bulb for the lamp I use for flowing, but that would be 400 watt minimum if I did.
So since I already had this 4 bulb T5 I got dirt cheep, and the Milliard I got was well under $100, I went with that.
Also Milliard T5 I got isn't bad on electricity at all actually, it's got 12,000 lumen at 144 watts.
I'm an electrician so I've got the equipment to test it when I get it installed and running to make sure it hits close to spec.
But if it does, that's not much electricity for the lumen I'm getting.
Yes it may be half the lumen of a 400 watt mh, but it's also half the electricity.

O

oregonmellow

I think you may have to add some side lights for that tall of a canopy couldn*t hurt.T-5s are really a good light because you can put them pretty close to the tops try to raise the shorter ones up so all the tops are the same height and I would start looking at a little GENTLE LST might help those laterals perk up,happy growing.Peace

Hellno187

Hellno187

What kind of low stress training do you recommend oregonmellow? I've never experimented with low stress training, so I'm not familiar with techniques.

O

oregonmellow

Hellno,it really is gently pulling your tops out away from the center stem,take some thin wire with the insulation for padding and lasso each stem and attach it to the side of your pot, I stress gently, a little every day so the center becomes more exposed I have actually used scotch tape on the ends of my leaves and taped them down to the side of the pots there are lots of pictures on the net just type in Low stress training cannabis,good luk bro.

Top Bottom