Please help a novice in distress

• Thread starter IsanFarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Trash_2002

Trash_2002

The seaweed I'm using is made by a local grower from my neck of the woods so you won't have heard of it but it's good stuff. I live in Thailand so buying products from leading brands is expensive because it all has to be imported. I've had to look for alternative brands at times to keep the costs down because I've already spent approximately $1,600 on my set up.

Oh shit I read the above just after I sprayed them with the lights on. I'll do it just before lights out from tonight onwards. I've started using that app for the light which is really good and I'm going to buy a new humidifier that doesn't give off any light. I will start my feeding regime either tomorrow or the next day depending on the medium, my nutrients have been delivered now so the next step is to work out how the fuck I use them. When I use them do I have to make sure the water is at the correct PPM level or should I wait until I am more experienced because I know very little about adjusting PPM levels? My plants are really starting to grow now and I'm delighted.
Give em 1/4 recommend dosage of FF grow to start. They will love it. 1/4 dose you will be ok on EC/PPM.

P

PopPop67

Isanfarmer do not flush out all the good microbes in your soil. You do not need to flush at this time.

If you follow the instructions Trash_2002 gave you on Monday at 1:03 pm every thing will workout good for you. Forget all the advice you received before that. You received a lot of good advice that would work from several growers here. Every one of them are truly trying to help. But sometimes it is easy to overthink a problem and sometimes there's more than one cure for the problem.
But keeping it simple and only doing what needs to be done is always your best bet. He set you up with simple and correct advice trust him and follow his advice to a successful harvest PopPop

K

kbracey

It happend to me I was advised to flush since my concentration of molasses to water was too high it caused my ph to swing heavy and caused nutrient lockout Nitrogen mostly.I flushed my medium and watered with kelpak and that fixed my girl in a day.Molasses is sugers for microbes in the soil. It should be used once a week or once 2 weeks but not with every watering since it is high in potassium and is needed mostly in flower and not so much in veg.Thats my 2c.
You are correct, it's mostly during flower when potassium is needed mostly. I currently work at a grow our projected EC is 2.6 and projected pH is 5.6.

H

hydrochief

I'm currently on day 18 of my first grow. I'm growing 2 Hindu Kush and 1 Northern Lights. I started in plastic cups but the Hindu Kush plants became root bound so I transferred all of the plants 3 days ago to 5 gallon pots. My plants look quite healthy but the problem I have is that they don't seem to have got any taller in the last week. If you look at the close up photos you'll see that the Hindu Kush plants have a whole bunch of nodes in the same place which I can't understand. Also, the Northern Lights plant seems so small compared to the others even though this is also an Indica strain. What am I doing wrong? I was thinking that I might need to top the two Hindu Kush plants because this is causing the problem with the node bunching but aren't they a little small to be topped now?

I'm using a Mars Hydro FC-E4800 at 24" and 50% power. 18 and 6 hours. The temperature and RH is constantly 76 to 80 Fahrenheit and 50% to 70% respectively. I've got three fans on constantly. Two oscillating fans, and a 6" Spider Farmer exhaust fan on speed 3. Everybody says it's better to underwater than overwater but I think I may have underwatered too much and this has stunted their growth? I've been using molasses and liquid seaweed to feed them and I've just given them about 2 litres of water each. I've just ordered the Fox Farm nutrients trio and some Cal Mag and they should be delivered in the next few days so I'll start using them as soon as they come. Why do my plants look like this or are they normal at this stage and I just need to be patient?
Listen man it's simple place the light closer = tighter node spacing do that for a week while you LST week two raise the light just a few inches then they'll stretch vertical them lower they bush and get nodes them raise the light again by then it's a busy and FLIP 🙃 this plants is like four months old dude being SCROGGed but the light is so close it doesn't have the need to stretch closer to it

IMG20230421183458
H

hydrochief

Also man stick to that 3 part with the calmag and ditch the molasses you do want food for your microbes so you could use fish shit, Floralicious plus or florablend, foxfarms has bush doctor which I've heard is great stuff get the microbial innoculant then you can always add silica for stalks of you can't accurately measure your NPK your losing out in soil water with nutes every third water get a pH meter or litmus strips USE THEM but back to the topic the reason a plant grows vertical is to 1 grows more space for nodes or 2 stretch for more food I E the light a plant uses nutrients so it has power to utilize that light hope this helps you owe me your first harvest HAHA

H

hydrochief

Also man stick to that 3 part with the calmag and ditch the molasses you do want food for your microbes so you could use fish shit, Floralicious plus or florablend, foxfarms has bush doctor which I've heard is great stuff get the microbial innoculant then you can always add silica for stalks of you can't accurately measure your NPK your losing out in soil water with nutes every third water get a pH meter or litmus strips USE THEM but back to the topic the reason a plant grows vertical is to 1 grows more space for nodes or 2 stretch for more food I E the light a plant uses nutrients so it has power to utilize that light hope this helps you owe me your first harvest HAHA
Floralicious plus is sea kelp that's good shit but the bottle form is easier for them plant to take up it's solubility is better

B

BudgetGrower

While the design looks good, if you fill the screen, how will you water the plant and no void between the soil and the canopy in later flower, without good airflow under the canopy, you could get bugs and bud rot

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Isanfarmer do not flush out all the good microbes in your soil. You do not need to flush at this time.

If you follow the instructions Trash_2002 gave you on Monday at 1:03 pm every thing will workout good for you. Forget all the advice you received before that. You received a lot of good advice that would work from several growers here. Every one of them are truly trying to help. But sometimes it is easy to overthink a problem and sometimes there's more than one cure for the problem.
But keeping it simple and only doing what needs to be done is always your best bet. He set you up with simple and correct advice trust him and follow his advice to a successful harvest PopPop
No matter what he does, "follow trash!" is darn funny...... ;)

H

hydrochief

While the design looks good, if you fill the screen, how will you water the plant and no void between the soil and the canopy in later flower, without good airflow under the canopy, you could get bugs and bud rot
That's a pic of my original mother the gentleman growing it is a newb (respectfully) now that his pants are passing the trellis he should raise the light wait 3-4 inches and do it again

B

BudgetGrower

That's a pic of my original mother the gentleman growing it is a newb (respectfully) now that his pants are passing the trellis he should raise the light wait 3-4 inches and do it again
I don't like your led, say the plants in late veg and getting 400 umols, as the plant gets larger, it gets closer to the light so the umols will increase, 500, 600 etc

Forcing the plant to stretch is bad practice IMO, the stems become stretched and weak.

IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

Give em 1/4 recommend dosage of FF grow to start. They will love it. 1/4 dose you will be ok on EC/PPM.

Somebody on another site has told me not to use any nutrients yet, even at a quarter of the dose. They think there's enough nutrients in the medium already? Quote:

"I wouldn't even do that for 2-3 weeks or until I see leaf stability and raised edges settling down.

As a point of reference from my experience....if I dump a cup of castings into a 2-3 gallon pot of soil(top dress or incorporated in soil), I'm going to burn and stunt the plant"

They're also telling me that my plants don't look healthy. Quote:

Raised leaf serrations - See my bigger blue circle....see how the edges are raised like a pointy spine... this plus twisted leaves are typically the first signs of a struggling plant.

"The 2nd smaller circle (using as an example, not suggesting you hit this stage yet) is what's called eagle clawing....its when the last inch or so of the leaf tip curls dramatically down....the next stage is leaf tip burn and die off.

A healthy leaf will be flat, rigged, and standing at attention."

What do you think about this because there is some truth to what they're saying about the leaves? The photo that they commented on was taken over a week ago just after I transplanted though? These photos were taken just a moment ago. What do you think?

20230603 131155
20230603 131200
20230603 131205
Last edited:
H

hydrochief

Somebody on another site has told me not to use any nutrients yet, even at a quarter of the dose. They think there's enough nutrients in the medium already? Quote:

"I wouldn't even do that for 2-3 weeks or until I see leaf stability and raised edges settling down.

As a point of reference from my experience....if I dump a cup of castings into a 2-3 gallon pot of soil(top dress or incorporated in soil), I'm going to burn and stunt the plant"

Raised leaf serrations - See my bigger blue circle....see how the edges are raised like a pointy spine... this plus twisted leaves are typically the first signs of a struggling plant.

"The 2nd smaller circle (using as an example, not suggesting you hit this stage yet) is what's called eagle clawing....its when the last inch or so of the leaf tip curls dramatically down....the next stage is leaf tip burn and die off.

What do you think about this because there is some truth to what they're saying about the leaves? The photo that they commented on was taken over a week ago just after I transplanted though? These photos were taken just a moment ago. What do you think?
Buddy you're overthinking it an those actually look just fine what you do it's get a ppm and pH meter so you can gradually increase the dose as the plant get bigger more leafs equal more light intake (photosynthesis) If I was u id go like 150 ppm the first water and gradually increase every third watering also microbes in the soil for roots get some mycho but hey they gotta eat too so to feed them stick with the guano or kelp but listen don't ever "just dump" anything in your grow man make it accurate and do it right that way you don't have to go back cause once that plant is stunted you have to now add more time down cause it has to heal itself then go back to growing so 1 get a 3 part 2- roots roots roots 3 learn your plant if setting that plant is slightly yellow like that because it is asking you for some nutrition go with your gut do your homework

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Yep I agree, you are overthinking.
If you follow what I said you gonna be fine. Passed you the ABC tried and true.

But if you wanna go another route that's up to you, it's all a learning curve.

They are growing fast and healthy, but still on the light side (a bit hungry).
They will be fine ladies. Cheers.

Last edited:
IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

Yep I agree, you are overthinking.
If you follow what I said you gonna be fine. Passed you the ABC tried and true.

But if you wanna go another route that's up to you, it's all a learning curve.

They are growing fast and healthy, but still on the light side (a bit hungry).
They will be fine ladies. Cheers.

Yes I think I am committing the newbie error of overthinking things and if I am determined to find a problem then I will find one. Trust me, I am onboard and following your advice. One thing I will say though - since I topped my plants a few days ago there has been no growth at all at the stems where I cut them. Is that normal?

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter

These look just fine. Keep it going, don't do anything with them/to them, just wait for them to tell you what they need.

IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

These look just fine. Keep it going, don't do anything with them/to them, just wait for them to tell you what they need.

Since I topped my plants a few days ago there has been no growth at all at the stems where I cut them. Is that normal?

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Since I topped my plants a few days ago there has been no growth at all at the stems where I cut them. Is that normal?
You topped them pretty early, right? The plant hasn't had the time yet to start forming nice branches. So it's going to take more than a few days to start seeing good branching development.

IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

You topped them pretty early, right? The plant hasn't had the time yet to start forming nice branches. So it's going to take more than a few days to start seeing good branching development.

I topped them after the fourth nodes but maybe that was a little early? Even so I think I just need to be patient with new branching?

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Yes I think I am committing the newbie error of overthinking things and if I am determined to find a problem then I will find one. Trust me, I am onboard and following your advice. One thing I will say though - since I topped my plants a few days ago there has been no growth at all at the stems where I cut them. Is that normal?
Now she will put focus on side branches, and grow more slowly updwards that's normal, side branches will become apical branches soon.

Top Bottom