Please help a novice in distress

• Thread starter IsanFarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I topped them after the fourth nodes but maybe that was a little early? Even so I think I just need to be patient with new branching?
It depends on what your goal is. If you're growing smaller plants with more even branching, you may very well want to top them early.........but yeah, patience with new branching on younger plants, and depending on the variety it could take longer.

D

Drgreenthumbs1

I'm currently on day 18 of my first grow. I'm growing 2 Hindu Kush and 1 Northern Lights. I started in plastic cups but the Hindu Kush plants became root bound so I transferred all of the plants 3 days ago to 5 gallon pots. My plants look quite healthy but the problem I have is that they don't seem to have got any taller in the last week. If you look at the close up photos you'll see that the Hindu Kush plants have a whole bunch of nodes in the same place which I can't understand. Also, the Northern Lights plant seems so small compared to the others even though this is also an Indica strain. What am I doing wrong? I was thinking that I might need to top the two Hindu Kush plants because this is causing the problem with the node bunching but aren't they a little small to be topped now?

I'm using a Mars Hydro FC-E4800 at 24" and 50% power. 18 and 6 hours. The temperature and RH is constantly 76 to 80 Fahrenheit and 50% to 70% respectively. I've got three fans on constantly. Two oscillating fans, and a 6" Spider Farmer exhaust fan on speed 3. Everybody says it's better to underwater than overwater but I think I may have underwatered too much and this has stunted their growth? I've been using molasses and liquid seaweed to feed them and I've just given them about 2 litres of water each. I've just ordered the Fox Farm nutrients trio and some Cal Mag and they should be delivered in the next few days so I'll start using them as soon as they come. Why do my plants look like this or are they normal at this stage and I just need to be patient?

D

Drgreenthumbs1

I'm currently on day 18 of my first grow. I'm growing 2 Hindu Kush and 1 Northern Lights. I started in plastic cups but the Hindu Kush plants became root bound so I transferred all of the plants 3 days ago to 5 gallon pots. My plants look quite healthy but the problem I have is that they don't seem to have got any taller in the last week. If you look at the close up photos you'll see that the Hindu Kush plants have a whole bunch of nodes in the same place which I can't understand. Also, the Northern Lights plant seems so small compared to the others even though this is also an Indica strain. What am I doing wrong? I was thinking that I might need to top the two Hindu Kush plants because this is causing the problem with the node bunching but aren't they a little small to be topped now?

I'm using a Mars Hydro FC-E4800 at 24" and 50% power. 18 and 6 hours. The temperature and RH is constantly 76 to 80 Fahrenheit and 50% to 70% respectively. I've got three fans on constantly. Two oscillating fans, and a 6" Spider Farmer exhaust fan on speed 3. Everybody says it's better to underwater than overwater but I think I may have underwatered too much and this has stunted their growth? I've been using molasses and liquid seaweed to feed them and I've just given them about 2 litres of water each. I've just ordered the Fox Farm nutrients trio and some Cal Mag and they should be delivered in the next few days so I'll start using them as soon as they come. Why do my plants look like this or are they normal at this stage and I just need to be patient?
Looks like a magnesium deficiency. It starts on lowest leaves and does that yellowing and burnt edges. You also have the intraveinal yellowing/burning…yet another sign. Good news is, it looks like it corrected itself in the new growth, as the old growth will not improve and I will eventually drop off.

MissMedijuana

MissMedijuana

Looks like a magnesium deficiency. It starts on lowest leaves and does that yellowing and burnt edges. You also have the intraveinal yellowing/burning…yet another sign. Good news is, it looks like it corrected itself in the new growth, as the old growth will not improve and I will eventually drop off.
Hello from Thailand. Not sure I grow under spider led no problem, under mars led I often have magnesium deficiency symptom the same way as show on pictures which in fact are light stress. Often symptom show late after exposure so hard to deal with unless you know as you wrongly focus on deficiency and do not think of light stress. Furthermore unless there is a problem with quality soil mag deficiency rarely occurs at so early stage.

IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

It depends on what your goal is. If you're growing smaller plants with more even branching, you may very well want to top them early.........but yeah, patience with new branching on younger plants, and depending on the variety it could take longer.

I want the highest yields possible so I'll need the plants to be as tall as I can accommodate in my 4x4 grow tent. In that case I shouldn't have topped them so early?

LocalWeedia

LocalWeedia

Stunted growth could be a result of stress. Topping should wait just in case. They look good. The light could be set to 70%- 22-30 inches above them. At this stage with everything else going well, humidity and even lighting wouldn’t be a concern for me. They went through a transplant and need to settle into it. I’m very curious what medium mix they are in. I’ve steered myself away from the Foxfarm liquid nutes. (See 420scene YouTube video explanation) I learned about Down to Earth organic nutes and Pro-mix soil (plain soil-like medium into which you add your own nute amendments.)
So these days I’m just putting a little (used once already in other grow,) FF Ocean Forest into my Promix, pearlite, worm castings, kelp meal, grow dots mixture. And I’ll never add another nute until flower. Unless they need cal-mag or silica. Or Neem oil for gnats.
As for watering: Trust the weight of the pot. 100% always lift each pot before watering. Even in the same size containers in the same environment, they could need different amounts. You’ll only know if you feel the weight of each one. I water a circle around the plant not too close/not too far, and gradually move out to the sides as it gets bigger. I stash some top dressing on the sides where it will kick in with watering only if I water that area. Around two weeks before flowering I’ll prep them with recharge (more about this one on Dude Grows/YouTube) and a compost tea. Recipes for that I’ve also seen on 420 scene videos and on Mr. Growit videos. Anything else they get will only need because they seem to be needing it as determined visually. Mostly, in your case, it seems to be a wait-and-see situation.
But when plants are acting strange like this (taking a break from growing! Etc); You shouldn’t top. It just adds to stress, recovery time, and slowed growth.
Can’t wait to see advice people have about this!
I’m here looking for answers as to why I have one plant that’s basically only growing single leaves instead of the five or seven. It’s a crazy looking plant! Good luck with the grow! I’ve got my own daily grow channel on YouTube about my first time with a tent indoors. :) Local Weedia! <3

IMG 3079
Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I want the highest yields possible so I'll need the plants to be as tall as I can accommodate in my 4x4 grow tent. In that case I shouldn't have topped them so early?
It's a very tough call because it will depend on other variables, like how much more veg time you'll add after topping, the variety you're growing..........topping may just give you 2 smaller tops instead of 1 bigger top, with the ultimate weight about the same. And it's hard to weigh what would have been.....

If you keep a journal, you can compare multiple grows and see for yourself what strategies might yield more, but also how much extra time might be needed to get that bigger weight. .....

Last edited:
Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Stunted growth could be a result of stress. Topping should wait just in case. They look good. The light could be set to 70%- 22-30 inches above them. At this stage with everything else going well, humidity and even lighting wouldn’t be a concern for me. They went through a transplant and need to settle into it. I’m very curious what medium mix they are in. I’ve steered myself away from the Foxfarm liquid nutes. (See 420scene YouTube video explanation) I learned about Down to Earth organic nutes and Pro-mix soil (plain soil-like medium into which you add your own nute amendments.)
So these days I’m just putting a little (used once already in other grow,) FF Ocean Forest into my Promix, pearlite, worm castings, kelp meal, grow dots mixture. And I’ll never add another nute until flower. Unless they need cal-mag or silica. Or Neem oil for gnats.
As for watering: Trust the weight of the pot. 100% always lift each pot before watering. Even in the same size containers in the same environment, they could need different amounts. You’ll only know if you feel the weight of each one. I water a circle around the plant not too close/not too far, and gradually move out to the sides as it gets bigger. I stash some top dressing on the sides where it will kick in with watering only if I water that area. Around two weeks before flowering I’ll prep them with recharge (more about this one on Dude Grows/YouTube) and a compost tea. Recipes for that I’ve also seen on 420 scene videos and on Mr. Growit videos. Anything else they get will only need because they seem to be needing it as determined visually. Mostly, in your case, it seems to be a wait-and-see situation.
But when plants are acting strange like this (taking a break from growing! Etc); You shouldn’t top. It just adds to stress, recovery time, and slowed growth.
I’m here looking for answers as to why I have one plant that’s basically only growing single leaves instead of the five or seven. It’s a crazy looking plant! Good luck with the grow! I’ve got my own daily grow channel on YouTube about my first time with a tent indoors. :) Local Weedia! <3
I tend to agree. Stress, recovery time, slowed growth. Are you going to add to that recovery time by now vegging for an extra 7 days? That could help with plant development and it could.......lead to a little more weight. But now you've added time. What if you added 7 more days to your veg cycle, but didn't top....... That would also lead to a little more weight. Which one is worth it? Well, ultimately that's up to you. I like to see "whole plant" development, but use bending/tying down to get as many branches developed as possible.

G

GandolfGuerilla

Molasses with tiny plants in veg? Boss you need to pump the brakes. Until you get to four nodes, its nothing but potting soil. I'd guess impatience. Relax. You can do too much w reefer. They will stretch.
Where are you getting instruction? Are they auto or photo?

IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

Thanks for the advice but I already topped them 5 days ago and now I'm regretting it because one of the plants seems to be growing much slower, and in an unorthodox way too. I've seen that video from 420scene about Fox Farm nutrients but I haven't taken much notice because there are so many other people out there that swear by Fox Farm nutrients. If you go back to the start of the thread you'll see a photo of the soil I'm using, mixed with 25% worm castings and 25% perlite. I will check out your channel.

It's a very tough call because it will depend on other variables, like how much more veg time you'll add after topping, the variety you're growing..........topping may just give you 2 smaller tops instead of 1 bigger top, with the ultimate weight about the same. And it's hard to weigh what would have been.....

If you keep a journal, you can compare multiple grows and see for yourself what strategies might yield more, but also how much extra time might be needed to get that bigger weight. .....

I tend to agree. Stress, recovery time, slowed growth. Are you going to add to that recovery time by now vegging for an extra 7 days? That could help with plant development and it could.......lead to a little more weight. But now you've added time. What if you added 7 more days to your veg cycle, but didn't top....... That would also lead to a little more weight. Which one is worth it? Well, ultimately that's up to you. I like to see "whole plant" development, but use bending/tying down to get as many branches developed as possible.

I'm at day 26 now but I'm treating it like day 19 because my plants grew so slowly to begin with. I'm not sure why but I think it was a combination of several factors:
  1. I left them in plastic cups for longer than required because I didn't realise they were root bound
  2. I didn't water them enough to begin with
  3. The aircon in my grow room stopped working and the temperatures were too hot for about 5 days, until I moved everything to another room and stabilised the temperature
  4. Transplant shock
I have come questions about LST and I'd appreciate if you could give me some advice but I'm going to make a separate reply with some photos taken today, so please could you reply there?

Based on the information you provided, it seems like you are taking good care of your plants and have made necessary adjustments to their environment. Here are a few things to consider regarding your plants' growth:

1. Transplant shock: Transferring plants from smaller containers to larger pots can cause a temporary halt in growth as they adjust to their new environment. It's normal for plants to experience a slight setback after transplantation, so be patient and give them some time to recover.
  2. Node bunching: The appearance of multiple nodes in the same area on your Hindu Kush plants could be due to stress or pruning techniques. Topping the plants might help promote more lateral growth and prevent the nodes from clustering together. However, given their current small size, it's best to wait until they have a few more nodes and have established a stronger root system before topping.
  3. Size differences: It's not uncommon for plants of the same strain to exhibit variations in growth rate and size. Genetics, environmental factors, and individual plant characteristics can contribute to these differences. As long as the Northern Lights plant appears healthy and is growing, it may just be a slower grower compared to the Hindu Kush plants.
  4. Underwatering: While it's true that overwatering can be detrimental, underwatering can also stunt plant growth. Ensure that you are watering your plants adequately and maintaining a consistent watering schedule. The newly delivered Fox Farm nutrients and Cal Mag should help provide additional nourishment and support healthy growth.
  5. Patience and observation: It's essential to be patient with your plants as they progress through different growth stages. Keep monitoring their health, adjusting environmental conditions if necessary, and providing the appropriate care. Sometimes growth spurts can happen suddenly, so keep an eye on any changes in the coming weeks.
Remember, growing cannabis is a learning process, and each grow presents unique challenges. It's great that you are actively researching and seeking advice to optimize your plants' growth. If you have specific concerns or notice any unusual symptoms, it's always beneficial to consult with experienced growers or professionals for personalized guidance.

The Northern Lights plant seems ok now and it's almost caught up with the tallest plant of the three. I'm really concerned about the smaller Hindu Kush plant though and its development because it doesn't seem to be growing now. I think I fucked it up by topping too early. It has a whole bunch of nodes in one place and isn't getting taller, although on a more positive note it is a lovely dark green colour and looks healthy. Have a look at the photos I'm going to post later in a separate post and see what you think.

Molasses with tiny plants in veg? Boss you need to pump the brakes. Until you get to four nodes, its nothing but potting soil. I'd guess impatience. Relax. You can do too much w reefer. They will stretch.
Where are you getting instruction? Are they auto or photo?

Point taken. I am a newbie and I'm constantly fussing over my plants and thinking I should be doing something to assist their development. They're photoperiods.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Thanks for the advice but I already topped them 5 days ago and now I'm regretting it because one of the plants seems to be growing much slower, and in an unorthodox way too. I've seen that video from 420scene about Fox Farm nutrients but I haven't taken much notice because there are so many other people out there that swear by Fox Farm nutrients. If you go back to the start of the thread you'll see a photo of the soil I'm using, mixed with 25% worm castings and 25% perlite. I will check out your channel.

I'm at day 26 now but I'm treating it like day 19 because my plants grew so slowly to begin with. I'm not sure why but I think it was a combination of several factors:
  1. I left them in plastic cups for longer than required because I didn't realise they were root bound
  2. I didn't water them enough to begin with
  3. The aircon in my grow room stopped working and the temperatures were too hot for about 5 days, until I moved everything to another room and stabilised the temperature
  4. Transplant shock
I have come questions about LST and I'd appreciate if you could give me some advice but I'm going to make a separate reply with some photos taken today, so please could you reply there?

The Northern Lights plant seems ok now and it's almost caught up with the tallest plant of the three. I'm really concerned about the smaller Hindu Kush plant though and its development because it doesn't seem to be growing now. I think I fucked it up by topping too early. It has a whole bunch of nodes in one place and isn't getting taller, although on a more positive note it is a lovely dark green colour and looks healthy. Have a look at the photos I'm going to post later in a separate post and see what you think.

Point taken. I am a newbie and I'm constantly fussing over my plants and thinking I should be doing something to assist their development. They're photoperiods.
Think about all you've learned and all the adjuatments you can make.......you've been through the wringer with just this 1 grow. So really, don't beat yourself up. Make adjustments now, for this gtow, the best you can.

I'll keep an eye out for your LST thread too.

The way you articulated your mistakes and wrote them out.....you're going to be a very good grower.

IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

Some photos from today which is day 26 but I am treating it like day 19 because of the slow growth of my plants. I gave them their first feed of Fox Farm Grow Big at a quarter of the recommended dose two days ago. The Northern Lights plant has grown a lot and nearly caught up with the tallest plant. The two Hindu Kush plants have darker leaves and look healthy but the Northern Lights plant still has some yellowy leaves. I am really concerned about the smaller Hindu Kush plant in the last two photos. It doesn't seem to be getting any taller and it is growing a whole bunch of nodes in the same place which doesn't look right. I think I've fucked it up up by topping too early.

Is it time for me to start LST my plants and should I cut the fan leaves off the biggest plant? They're getting in the way of branches underneath them. If you look at the close up of the Northern Lights plant (second photo) you'll see where I topped it. I am confused about topping and what happens after. Shouldn't the stem be growing at the same place I cut it or are the two side branches you can see there normal? The reason I ask is because these branches were already there when I topped, they're not a result of the topping itself? Or does the plant concentrate on growing these two now?

20230606 104900
20230606 104909
20230606 104938
20230606 104948
20230606 104954
20230606 105002
Last edited:
IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

Think about all you've learned and all the adjuatments you can make.......you've been through the wringer with just this 1 grow. So really, don't beat yourself up. Make adjustments now, for this gtow, the best you can.

I'll keep an eye out for your LST thread too.

The way you articulated your mistakes and wrote them out.....you're going to be a very good grower.

Indeed, and you learn by your mistakes. The next time I won't be impatient and top so early. The important thing is that I am really enjoying the process of growing and I think I'm hooked now. This is a great hobby.

P

PopPop67

Glad to here you are enjoying the grow it's not only about the high. Your plants look nice they are a little too compact. If you kept your lights too low and continue to keep lights too low your plants will not gain the height they need. You don't want them stretched to the sky but you do want more room between knobs than you have now. It needs room to stretch out and grow. It should be taller and wider at this stage. Keep that in mind on your next grow. Being that compacted can cause all sorts of problems. You can raise the lights some more till they gain some height then adjust lights as needed.

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Indeed, and you learn by your mistakes. The next time I won't be impatient and top so early. The important thing is that I am really enjoying the process of growing and I think I'm hooked now. This is a great hobby.
Nice! They gonna fly now just watch, they seem to have enjoyed the feed. That Hindu Kush will go too relax, it's just that it's already a short branchy cultivar by nature.

Cannabis isn't addictive, but growing it really is !! welcome to the green side, there's no going back "muahahahahaahah" (mad villain voiceover ROFL)

Last edited:
Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
It is a lot of fun. There are a few milestones too. The first flowers you see, hanging your first plants to dry, having the first hit of what you grew.........

The most amazing part for me is when you make your own seeds. The realization that you made that happen, it's a variety that no one else has........then when you plant and grow those seeds, to tell your friends "I made this"..

Last edited:
Trash_2002

Trash_2002

It is a lot of fun. There are a few milestones too. The first flowers you see, hanging your first plants to dry, having the first hit of what you grew.........

The most amaxing part for me is when you make your own seeds. The realization that you made that happen, it's a variety that no one else has........then when you plant and grow those seeds, to tell your friends "I made this"..
than there's trim jail, that's where we pay for all our life's sins, and listen to all our favorite albums over and over again LOL

Last edited:
IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

The most amazing part for me is when you make your own seeds. The realization that you made that happen, it's a variety that no one else has........then when you plant and grow those seeds, to tell your friends "I made this"..

Yes I can't wait for the first harvest and now that I'm a little older and more patient than I was in my youth I'll take the time to dry it properly. I actually grew weed in the loft of my house a couple of times back in 2006 and the proceeds funded a trip to Thailand. I didn't get involved in much of the growing because a friend of mine who was living with me at the time took care of most of that. One of the only memories I have of the process was drying the weed, which made my whole house stink because we only had one fan and no filters. Memories from my twenties can be very hazy at times if you know what I mean, I was bang on it all the time back then.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Yes I can't wait for the first harvest and now that I'm a little older and more patient than I was in my youth I'll take the time to dry it properly. I actually grew weed in the loft of my house a couple of times back in 2006 and the proceeds funded a trip to Thailand. I didn't get involved in much of the growing because a friend of mine who was living with me at the time took care of most of that. One of the only memories I have of the process was drying the weed, which made my whole house stink because we only had one fan and no filters. Memories from my twenties can be very hazy at times if you know what I mean, I was bang on it all the time back then.
Oh I hear you. I started early too. From like 13 to 30 I had quite a bit. In the late 80s I grew in my apartment closet. For a while there I was growing true Skunk #1.

These days I'll have 1 good vape hit maybe a couple of nights a week......or an edible.

Curing is so important. I'm sure you know the process but if you can do it for 3-4 weeks.....it makes all the diffetence.

Top Bottom