PLEASE HELP! Broadmites? Whiteflies? *Pics*

• Thread starter Smokecity
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Smokecity

I am STRUGGLING badly with my plants.

So I had perfectly fine plants that I transferred over to my flower room, and I got brand new plants from seeds put into my veg room. Before putting my flower plants to sleep, I sprayed them with forbid because I had noticed webs all over some of my back plants. I sprayed the veg as well since they had been contaminated too.
After about 2 weeks I noticed my flower plants were looking really strange and the buds were not coming out correctly. I figured maybe I had burnt my plants with forbid and figured they would recover after a week or so. The whole run was pretty ugly, towards the end i noticed a thick white substance all over my plants, it was thick and grainy looking, I would compare it to snow fall (I thought it was powdered mildew at the time but the thickness and the amount of residue that was falling off the leaf made me wonder why this pm seemed a little off.) Anyway, I finally got through the run and ended up with some ok looking buds but the plants in general were in pretty bad shape. Everything looked distorted and strange. I have sprayed forbid many times in the past and never experienced this. Shocked I ended up with anything at all, I was just happy to be done with that run.

At the same time my veg plants started reacting the same way that my plants in flower did. Twisted leaves/ branches, growth was stunted, leaves had indentations on them and were shiny and deformed. After a few weeks, I would start noticing when I would go to feed I would see so much residue fly up when I had any interaction with the plants. It was strange but I guess I didn’t think much about it. It has been about over 2 months and my plants still haven’t recovered. I started to wonder if it was really chemical burn that had happened or something else? I did tons of research I came up with broad mites and whiteflies but I’m not 100% sure and would love to hear my fellow growers opinions. I’m going crazy and have become obsessed with this issue, please help!!!

Please help broadmites whiteflies pics
Please help broadmites whiteflies pics 2
Please help broadmites whiteflies pics 3
Please help broadmites whiteflies pics 4
Please help broadmites whiteflies pics 5
GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Can’t say what’s going on with your plants. Looks like several issues too me. Probably something in the root zone but it’s hard to say for sure. BUT you definitely need to get some yellow sticky cards on the pots if your worried about pests. It’s the best way to get an id

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Hey. I agree that this calls for a complete overhaul. Especially if it's pests related. You can only control them (barely), and the solutions can be just as bad as the problems. Get rid of all plants and soil, disinfect/clean everything, maybe even wait a week or two, and try to figure out how bugs got in there to begin with. Prevention is the best and maybe the only way. You are probably somehow bringing the pests in, either from the soil you introduced, your clothes, shoes.......think of your grow room the way you would an operating room. The distorted leaves could certainly be from new damaged growth, but it almost looks genetic too, as if they would look that way even if there were no pests. I remember my first couple of tries I got hit with spider mites. I was using bag seeds so I didn't get too upset when I abandoned ship and tried again. I did everything to prevent contamination and made sure it didn’t happen again.

Trixie

Trixie

If you shake your plants and a white cloud appears then it's whiteflies. Take a magnifier and look very closely under the leaves and see what is sucking the life out of the plants. Aphids

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I would like to take this moment.......besides wishing everyone who celebrates Christmas a Merry Christmas.......we all of course hate spider mites and Aphids, but for those of you who are aware of another insidious menace, one that some human that I would like to personally.........thank......repeatedly.....with a bat.......decided to bring to the United States to "help" control the mite and aphid populations.......

I'm talking about the fake ladybugs. What the hell man?? Really?? For those of you who have them, these things look like ladybugs, but they are not. They're an invasive "lady beetle", and after spending all summer munching on mites and aphids.........they pick warm late fall afternoons, and all at once thay come at your house like it's a magnet. Thousands.......tens of thousands. They make the outside of your house look like it's moving. Like it's snowing red dots. And they want in. Every crack and crevice, the siding, windows, eaves, shingles..........

Hate is not a strong enough word. These little effers have no natural predators, because they emit this orange gunk, not unlike stinkbugs, a foul odor....... nothing will eat them. The only semi-solution is to seal up every tiny crack you can find, and there's a spray, they spray your entire house......it doesn't deter them, they still swarm onto your house to get in........but it will kill 90% of them AS they enter your house.......which leaves 2 problems......sweeping up thousands of these effers (or using a hand vac, which just aerates their foul odor)........and then the months of finding the ones that successfully made it in.......one here, one there.......and of course you can't just kill them, because orange gunk, foul odor.

If anyone wants to make a billion dollars.....find a way to stop these things. If you know them, you know. If you don't know them......you will. They're comin' for you too......

Clamup1

Clamup1

I would like to take this moment.......besides wishing everyone who celebrates Christmas a Merry Christmas.......we all of course hate spider mites and Aphids, but for those of you who are aware of another insidious menace, one that some human that I would like to personally.........thank......repeatedly.....with a bat.......decided to bring to the United States to "help" control the mite and aphid populations.......

I'm talking about the fake ladybugs. What the hell man?? Really?? For those of you who have them, these things look like ladybugs, but they are not. They're an invasive "lady beetle", and after spending all summer munching on mites and aphids.........they pick warm late fall afternoons, and all at once thay come at your house like it's a magnet. Thousands.......tens of thousands. They make the outside of your house look like it's moving. Like it's snowing red dots. And they want in. Every crack and crevice, the siding, windows, eaves, shingles..........

Hate is not a strong enough word. These little effers have no natural predators, because they emit this orange gunk, not unlike stinkbugs, a foul odor....... nothing will eat them. The only semi-solution is to seal up every tiny crack you can find, and there's a spray, they spray your entire house......it doesn't deter them, they still swarm onto your house to get in........but it will kill 90% of them AS they enter your house.......which leaves 2 problems......sweeping up thousands of these effers (or using a hand vac, which just aerates their foul odor)........and then the months of finding the ones that successfully made it in.......one here, one there.......and of course you can't just kill them, because orange gunk, foul odor.

If anyone wants to make a billion dollars.....find a way to stop these things. If you know them, you know. If you don't know them......you will. They're comin' for you too......
I hate those things. And hate is NOT a strong enough word lol

Cannagar

Cannagar

Im so happy I saw this post. I actually saw a lady bug (or I think it was now) in my tent a few days ago. And left it because I thought it could only help. How can I tell if its the invasive kind? and how do they hurt the plant? Lady bugs only hunt other bugs and dont eat vegetation?

M

MiMJgrower

Im so happy I saw this post. I actually saw a lady bug (or I think it was now) in my tent a few days ago. And left it because I thought it could only help. How can I tell if its the invasive kind? and how do they hurt the plant? Lady bugs only hunt other bugs and dont eat vegetation?
I think true lady beetles will have no more than six dots on their backs.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Ok so if you look at the head of it, you'll see a black M on its head. Or a W, depending on how you look at it. They can be orange to red, have black dots....but sometimes none...

Cannagar

Cannagar

Ok so if you look at the head of it, you'll see a black M on its head. Or a W, depending on how you look at it. They can be orange to red, have black dots....but sometimes none...
Lovely. Well just to be safe next time I see it ill remove it from the tent and put it outside.

Thanks!

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I think true lady beetles will have no more than six dots on their backs.
Do you mean actual ladybugs? The nice ones? That might be the case but it's the "M" on the heads that truly reveals the invasive Asian beetle......and I think they actually kill the nice ladybugs as competition.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
No they won't harm the plants......although you don't want them crawling all over them and doing whatever else they do.......or get stuck on the resin....that wouldn't be fun. The problem is in their numbers, and the fact that they have no natural predators. You will end up having them multiply as more and more of them worm their way into your garden where the nice warmth and light is.......especially in the winter as they will seek to "overwinter" indoors.

jesterthejedi

jesterthejedi

Spinosad soap, kills everything insect like. Look it up.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Spinosad soap, kills everything insect like. Look it up.
I would need to soap the entire outside of the house, roof, windows, eaves, siding.....

I'll definitely look it up, we already get a monthly pest control service, they do different things each month. End of Sept-October is the whole outside of the house spray. They use a natural spray, and use a pump to get it up high, the top floor, the roof.......again, from what I know about these Asian lady beetles, you can't kill them before they swarm and hit the house, but the spray is sticky and lasts weeks. As they hit the house and begin to work their way in, the spray kills 'em..... most of them. Still, if 9,000 out of 10,000 die, that means that little by little, 1,000 of them work their way inside. As it gets colder and colder, they keep working their way in through any cracks/path they can find. If you only want a few hundred to get inside through November, December, you have to go around and seal, caulk,.....every crack and crevice you can find. You can tell the weakest link areas by where/how they get in.

They actually leave pheromones, trails that others will follow in......

Cannagar

Cannagar

I would need to soap the entire outside of the house, roof, windows, eaves, siding.....

I'll definitely look it up, we already get a monthly pest control service, they do different things each month. End of Sept-October is the whole outside of the house spray. They use a natural spray, and use a pump to get it up high, the top floor, the roof.......again, from what I know about these Asian lady beetles, you can't kill them before they swarm and hit the house, but the spray is sticky and lasts weeks. As they hit the house and begin to work their way in, the spray kills 'em..... most of them. Still, if 9,000 out of 10,000 die, that means that little by little, 1,000 of them work their way inside. As it gets colder and colder, they keep working their way in through any cracks/path they can find. If you only want a few hundred to get inside through November, December, you have to go around and seal, caulk,.....every crack and crevice you can find. You can tell the weakest link areas by where/how they get in.

They actually leave pheromones, trails that others will follow in......
If we are talking about outdoor preventative treatments then have you tried using a hose attachment insecticide and granular insecticides to treat your yard and surrounding property in intervals through the year. Ever since i started doing that about every 3-5 months I have never had an issue.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
If we are talking about outdoor preventative treatments then have you tried using a hose attachment insecticide and granular insecticides to treat your yard and surrounding property in intervals through the year. Ever since i started doing that about every 3-5 months I have never had an issue.
Are we still talking about the Asian lady beetle/fake ladybugs? Where we are we are surrounded by forest, and we have a pond. It's not the suburbs, we're talking hundreds of acres of forest all around. It would be a monumental task to start spraying the forest lines, trees.....there's either farms, scattered houses, or forest. And there's really no way of going out over acres, hundreds of acres, thousands.......there is no direct kill spray for them, unless we want to aerial spray and poison the forest......although believe me, I've thought about it. ;)

So it's back to sealing the house as best as possible, and letting the pest control company spray the houses themselves.

Cannagar

Cannagar

Are we still talking about the Asian lady beetle/fake ladybugs? Where we are we are surrounded by forest, and we have a pond. It's not the suburbs, we're talking hundreds of acres of forest all around. It would be a monumental task to start spraying the forest lines, trees.....there's either farms, scattered houses, or forest.
Lol. I didnt realize that. No. Please dont do that. Im fairly sure that the U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service would have a major problem with that 😂

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Lol. I didnt realize that. No. Please dont do that. Im fairly sure that the U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service would have a major problem with that 😂
Yeah........ha!

In China, where they originated, when the cold comes, they swarm to overwinter in cliffs. There are no houses. But here, we don't have cliffs......our houses are their targets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom