Please help ! Depressed looking plants

• Thread starter Jonnypierce
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Well cuz no one has mentioned the usual. What is your water source? Are you using Cal Mag? Is your coco buffered? First run in coco?

lights are easily solved with a par app downloaded for any smart phone.

have ya read this thread? it should be your bible

heres a good thread that you should check as well;

and from what i have read right off the bat;
you need imput and out put Ph and PPM to figure out what the Rootzones approx ppm and ph are
you want to water multiple times daily with cal mag in EVERY watering
I've never used Calmag in coco once, always had awesome results. Calcium uptake can be adjusted 6 ways from Sunday without resorting to the old Calmag tonic.

I agree though that good starting water is very important. Usually either quality purified tap water or that mixed with RO, or lakewater, or rainwater. As long as it has some alkalinity its usually good to go.

If you want to get enough calcium, increase transpiration rates, use a quality fert that has enough calcium in it, and use decent starting water. It's really that simple. I've grown in all kinds of different media and haven't used calmag in over 15 years. If anything I'll use a little calcium silicate or liquid calcium carbonate to bump the starting water. But "calmag" has always struck me as a snake oil cure all.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
I've never used Calmag in coco once, always had awesome results. Calcium uptake can be adjusted 6 ways from Sunday without resorting to the old Calmag tonic.

I agree though that good starting water is very important. Usually either quality purified tap water or that mixed with RO, or lakewater, or rainwater. As long as it has some alkalinity its usually good to go.

If you want to get enough calcium, increase transpiration rates, use a quality fert that has enough calcium in it, and use decent starting water. It's really that simple. I've grown in all kinds of different media and haven't used calmag in over 15 years. If anything I'll use a little calcium silicate or liquid calcium carbonate to bump the starting water. But "calmag" has always struck me as a snake oil cure all.
i can relay to that, I haven't needed the use of calmag neither and like you said, grabbing quality nutrients/fert gives you the abilities to play with the ratios. something that i am still learning 🙄

Jonnypierce

Jonnypierce

Well thanks everybody for yours input, but after changing the light height, raising them off the floor and changing the way I was watering seems to of done the job ! I've been in this morning and I shit you not its like going In a different grow room ! 🙂 all bright eyed amd bushy tailed they look alot happier and they're actually looking green instead of yellow 😊

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

@Dirtbag when growing in coco thats not been buffered you have gotten away with just using a balanced fert that has Ca in it?
Cal mag is totally snake juice and cal mag deficiency is not a real thing BUT when in coco your using the cal mag for the dirt not the plant.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
@Dirtbag when growing in coco thats not been buffered you have gotten away with just using a balanced fert that has Ca in it?
Cal mag is totally snake juice and cal mag deficiency is not a real thing BUT when in coco your using the cal mag for the dirt not the plant.
I've only ever used Canna Coco, and it is prebuffered. But again if I were going to try and load up Cation exchange sites with Calcium, I'd use calcium silicate or carbonate or nitrate or...

Jonnypierce

Jonnypierce

What style reflector are the lights in? If its a batwing type with horizontal lamp position, 14" is WAY too close for plants this size. I'd have it 24-36". But I'd also seriously suggest switching to MH if you can swing it. I'm not sure I would go by the light meter, at this stage I think you're better off reading the plants.

Drooping leaves if not overwatering is usually from too much light.
Praying leaves that stick almost straight up are looking for more light.
Leaves that stick straight out or pointed very slightly upward are in the money spot in terms of light intensity.

Trust me, disregard your chart and raise the light to ~30" from the canopy and feed 2 or 3 times a day. Things will get better.
Hiya pal just a quick one but my other mh bulb is coming tomorrow and I'm gonna switch the bulbs over, the question I've got is do I keep the lights the same distance away ?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Hiya pal just a quick one but my other mh bulb is coming tomorrow and I'm gonna switch the bulbs over, the question I've got is do I keep the lights the same distance away ?
Yep, good decision.

Jonnypierce

Jonnypierce

Yeah I ordered another one as soon as you said it, everything else you guys said did the trick ! So I don't touch the height I just switch the bulbs over ? also I've not done lst training before, looking at the pics have I got the general idea ?

20211216 235151
20211216 235144
Reactions: PK1
Top Bottom