Please Help!! dont want to lose crop!

• Thread starter edux10
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

edux10

Hey all, i have had this problem on a few other crops, one completely died, other really suffered, but wasnt really as bad, not it is doing this agian. The leafs start to yellow on the edges, then it works its way in and completely kills the plant.

I have thought it was heat, underfed, overfed, calmg, ph, and have checked those and fixed them to my knowlage.

Room may be a little hot, it gets up to about 84max but lights are on in the nite so it ususlly stays around the 70s which is nice. I use Fox Farm Ocean Forest, I feed with only calmg+ and pure blend pro. I feed once a week and just give it calmg and distilled water in between.

Is it a Calmg problem? I am giving it 10ml per gal, which i could bump up to 15ml, and i may once the soil dries out. I have tried foiliar feed with both calmg and pbp and also seperate.

I am realy stumped and i dont want to lose another crop. PLEASE HELP ME!!

see this plant was fine last week, i fed about a week before, and then again just yesterday
http://i275.invalid.com/albums/jj302/edux10/CIMG3577.jpg

Here is a g13 that is actually pretty far along but i still feel like i am battleing these yellow leaves. These kinda seem like phospersous deff, but i really havent fed them very hard at all.
http://i275.invalid.com/albums/jj302/edux10/CIMG3581.jpg

here you can see what it looks like early on, see it kinda seems like a mg thing in these pics.
http://i275.invalid.com/albums/jj302/edux10/CIMG3579.jpg

also, i want to add that this appears really fast, like a week and it really kills a good amount of fan leaves.

oh yeha, i am feeding at full strengh, i have tried 1/4 and 1/2 also, i began to think that this was a problem because the plants were underfed, as i would only give them h20 whiel there were still nutes in the soil, once they seemed to run out i would start with 1/4 strenght food.

E

edux10

here is a leaf i picked, nothice the edges are thin.
http://i275.invalid.com/albums/jj302/edux10/CIMG3574.jpg

l dont think it is a light burn issue either, my 600watt hps is about 2 feet away from tops now. I also have 2 fans in there and proper ventalation, exhaust is 6in vortex 449cfm, and intake is a 4inch eco fan, not sure on how much air it moves. I smoke in there and all smoke exits room in seconds.

E

edux10

i havent really flushed yet, as i have barley started to put any nutes in at all. I have mostly been giving them just water for a while because to me it looked like there were still nutes active in the soil. I will try and flush tonite it think.

My next question would be when i flush, what should my ph and ppms look like on the way out? like i will put a sacuer under it and catch the water comming out, should the ppms read close the the ppms of the water going in? and i am assuming that the ph should be the same as the water going in. if the ph is off then that would probably mean lockout right? my ph is steady 6.5 in the water i give it, maybe a few times it would be 6.4 or up to 6.7 but never extremely off.

Thanks for the reply!

420Gator

420Gator

didnt read your whole post but the 10 ml of cal mag per gal seems high. i only use 2ml every other watering

E

edux10

ok, i will flush and give it less nute and calmg, i looked at the bottle and remember that at first i was using more like 5ml/gal (1tsp per gal), i was thinking it was a mg def, some maybe i locked it up by going overboard.

I am using RO water, i should be supplementing with the cal/mg every time i water right? never just pure RO unless the soil still has nute or i am flushing, correct?

X

Xceptional

i'm no guru and got my own set of problems but i thought calmag may be my answer it seems to be what is recommended so often then i read a really great thread on nutrients, how they work and WHAT is going on in each bottle. if you look at CalMag it has N and Iron and other stuff it in like it's almost a complete base! i would back off of it in my experience it didn't help me one bit all it did was help me have less money in my pocket while i stressed out. try just using the base and re-actively treat cal/mag issues if they occur. proactively attempting to treat potential issues without the right knowledge just seems to cause more issues if you really dont have a good grasp on what is in that bottle and how it affects your plants and the other nutrients going into the soil.

Rushoe

Rushoe

Using foxfarm soil that stuff runs a lil bit hot has enough nutes to feed a plant in veg for a few weeks maybe one month at most.Are your nutes organic or synthetic????I have been doing lots of research on using synthetic nutes for soil and lots of ppl are saying its half strength for soil and 3 ONLY WATER in between. But if you use ro water u are gonna want to add the 5mill/10mill of cal mag per gallon (US).Good luck bro not sure if that helps any but good luck with everything.

E

edux10

ok, i will flush and give it less nute and calmg, i looked at the bottle and remember that at first i was using more like 5ml/gal (1tsp per gal), i was thinking it was a mg def, some maybe i locked it up by going overboard.

I am using RO water, i should be supplementing with the cal/mg every time i water right? never just pure RO unless the soil still has nute or i am flushing, correct?

another_sellout

another_sellout

Dude, I think you're burning it with CalMag. Beyond that, Ocean Forest isn't going to give you your nutrients. It's designed to be used with a fairly heavy nutrient regime. I would stick to FoxFarm's nutrient schedule. Using a different companys shit with FoxFarm seems to always lock it out. And what's the obsession with CalMag? Try a gentle epsom salt with every other watering, the non nutrient one, instead. It's magnesium that causes that type of yellowing. The plant needs it to make chlorophyll the same way you need iron to make hemoglobin. Really. Exact same molecule if you swap those two out of the middle. Your plants need more general nutrients as well. Try out an all FoxFarm run in Smart Pots. You'll see the difference immediately.

E

edux10

Using foxfarm soil that stuff runs a lil bit hot has enough nutes to feed a plant in veg for a few weeks maybe one month at most.Are your nutes organic or synthetic????I have been doing lots of research on using synthetic nutes for soil and lots of ppl are saying its half strength for soil and 3 ONLY WATER in between. But if you use ro water u are gonna want to add the 5mill/10mill of cal mag per gallon (US).Good luck bro not sure if that helps any but good luck with everything.

yeah, i am using Fox Farm Ocean Forest, it should be good to go for a month with no nutes. I veg for about 2-3 weeks once i take the cutting, the plant gets to be about 1 foot tall, then i throw it into flower and start feeding it after a week or so, the plants that i have pictures of are at all different stages of life, so the younger ones with no buds have really only been given food one time, the older ones like the g13 that have nugs on them have probably been fed like 3 times maybe 4 at most. I figure onece a week. It does seem like they have been doing better recently when i have been better on keeping them on a once a week feed schedule.

E

edux10

Dude, I think you're burning it with CalMag. Beyond that, Ocean Forest isn't going to give you your nutrients. It's designed to be used with a fairly heavy nutrient regime. I would stick to FoxFarm's nutrient schedule. Using a different companys shit with FoxFarm seems to always lock it out. And what's the obsession with CalMag? Try a gentle epsom salt with every other watering, the non nutrient one, instead. It's magnesium that causes that type of yellowing. The plant needs it to make chlorophyll the same way you need iron to make hemoglobin. Really. Exact same molecule if you swap those two out of the middle. Your plants need more general nutrients as well. Try out an all FoxFarm run in Smart Pots. You'll see the difference immediately.

see that is the thing, they start do do this before i would add ANY cal/mg+. So that is why i thought it was a def at first. Also i have tried Fox Farm nutes. I dont have all the extra bottle, i just have grow big and big bloom. I havent really ever used grow big, becasue the plants seem to veg perfectly fine and never really have a problem, if i mother them out for a couple of months, they get yellow leaves, i add grow big, and the problem goes away really quick.

I have had this problem for a little while now, i have tried less nutes/calmg+ and i have tried more nutes and calmg+ (i have never really gone overboard on the nutes, never giving more than it says on the bottle and most of the time giving it less.

I guess flusing it out would be the first logical step. Should i ph my water i use to flush? If i dont ph the water i flush the soil with, wouldnt it throw off the ph reading I would take of the water comming out?

Also, i still have the question of what the ppm/TDS should read as it come out the other side too. should it be like around 1000 or should i flush till it gets down closer to 0?

Thanks for all the help guys, i really appreciate it. you are really helping someone in need. I am repping everyone right now.

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

ok here's my 2 cents worth. Take it or leave it. I cay you are having nute burn due to the calmag. Ocean forset is a hot mix..so my bro that grows in it says. He feeds the fox farm schedule as it's written adding 1tsp calmag/gallon while feeding only. He feeds reg strength..like this feed, feed, water. when he goes water, it's just ph water nothing added. If I read your post corectly I asertain that you clone wait for root then right into flower but no nutes untill flower? well in a sence, as soon as your plant starts a root, ts a mature plant and would handle nutes differently than a seedling. I think as soon as you see root, you need to give them a 1/2 strengh of veg. nute so they get some Nitrogen. Flowering plants nutrients are lower in nitrogen because they don't need as much to flower but tecinally your plants are under fed in nitrogen. I think if you want to try to save the ones you have going, you need to flush your plants with 3 times the amount of water as soil..ie..1 gallon bucket 3 gallons of ph water. I find that 6.5 works great for ph but calmag is locked out at 6.75 so you really have to be careful. Feed on the regular fox farm schedule and add your calmag 1 tsp/gallon only when giving food. You can't fix the damage already done, but look to the new growth to tell you if what you are doing is working. Hope any off this helps

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

also i was rereading and you need to get tiger bloom if you're going to stay with fox farm. Tiger bloom is your flowering nutes. and if you want good results, you need to feed to schedule. just giving them some grow big when ever is not gonna make for heaalthy plants. if you want good results you gotta put your part in and instead of having to chase a fix for a problem, just feed to schedule.

L

Lost

I didn't read the thread and responses except for someone stating cal-mag. Those plants don't look burnt to me, they look flushed. Like not nuff nutes. Thats what my mpb's look like on about the 4th or 5th day of a flush.

Have you tried full stregnth nutes?

E

ent

It does look like mag to me too. Possibly due to pH fluctuations? Sound feasible or is pH something you monitor diligently? Before you flush, put some RO water through it and capture the runoff. I'd like to know what the initial pH and EC/TDS of the runoff- as the plants are likely uptaking it. and you're pH-ing the water on the 'off' weeks when you only use calmag, right?

Take the pot size and run 3-5x the amount of water through it or until the runoff is clear. Don't need to pH the water but don't use chlorinated water either. RO is good. Then measure the pH at the end. This will tell you what pH your soil mixed with RO. I say this because even though you are testing pH in your water, perhaps as your water mixes with the soil it is changing out of range.

i only use micros a couple times during bloom- seems to be very strain specific and one of the major components into 'dialing' a strain in. ie- the ogk's will want the micros much more often then say a purple strain.

E

edux10

I didn't read the thread and responses except for someone stating cal-mag. Those plants don't look burnt to me, they look flushed. Like not nuff nutes. Thats what my mpb's look like on about the 4th or 5th day of a flush.

Have you tried full stregnth nutes?

this is really what i was thinking, due to the fact that i have mostly been using just water, or water and cal mg. I have been feeding at mostly full strength once a week. Full strength by the bottle says 2 tbsp per gallon of pure blend pro bloom, and 1 tsp of calmg. To be honest when i fed it seemed like it has been helping but still some of the yellow starts to creep up. I dont want to really up the nutes, becasue i am at pretty much the max i could go. On the bottle it says i could go to agressive feeding which is 3tbsp per gallon instead of the 2tbsp per gallon i am using now.

If they were underfed, would i be bad off flushing, just to be sure then adding my nutes and cal/mg at 1/2 strengh? or would this just make them more underfed? Sorry for all the text, i just want to be as specific as possible.

So basically, the problem was worse when i was feeding less, but still exists when i am feeding at full strengh and i dont want to over feed. Also one last thing, i always thought overfeeding could be determined when the leaves curl down on the tips, and i have never seen them curl down at all, if anything they start to curl up once they look all burned up.

E

edux10

ok here's my 2 cents worth. Take it or leave it. I cay you are having nute burn due to the calmag. Ocean forset is a hot mix..so my bro that grows in it says. He feeds the fox farm schedule as it's written adding 1tsp calmag/gallon while feeding only. He feeds reg strength..like this feed, feed, water. when he goes water, it's just ph water nothing added. If I read your post corectly I asertain that you clone wait for root then right into flower but no nutes untill flower? well in a sence, as soon as your plant starts a root, ts a mature plant and would handle nutes differently than a seedling. I think as soon as you see root, you need to give them a 1/2 strengh of veg. nute so they get some Nitrogen. Flowering plants nutrients are lower in nitrogen because they don't need as much to flower but tecinally your plants are under fed in nitrogen. I think if you want to try to save the ones you have going, you need to flush your plants with 3 times the amount of water as soil..ie..1 gallon bucket 3 gallons of ph water. I find that 6.5 works great for ph but calmag is locked out at 6.75 so you really have to be careful. Feed on the regular fox farm schedule and add your calmag 1 tsp/gallon only when giving food. You can't fix the damage already done, but look to the new growth to tell you if what you are doing is working. Hope any off this helps

also i was rereading and you need to get tiger bloom if you're going to stay with fox farm. Tiger bloom is your flowering nutes. and if you want good results, you need to feed to schedule. just giving them some grow big when ever is not gonna make for heaalthy plants. if you want good results you gotta put your part in and instead of having to chase a fix for a problem, just feed to schedule.

i havent put them right into flower, i clone, then veg for 2-3 weeks, then flower. When i put them in flower they seem to have about 1 week of nutes left in them, then i start to feed. My feeding matches the schedule that i have seen, i feed once a week and usually only have to water with calmg one time inbetween... I am using pure blend pro bloom not fox farm line.

E

edux10

It does look like mag to me too. Possibly due to pH fluctuations? Sound feasible or is pH something you monitor diligently? Before you flush, put some RO water through it and capture the runoff. I'd like to know what the initial pH and EC/TDS of the runoff- as the plants are likely uptaking it. and you're pH-ing the water on the 'off' weeks when you only use calmag, right?

Take the pot size and run 3-5x the amount of water through it or until the runoff is clear. Don't need to pH the water but don't use chlorinated water either. RO is good. Then measure the pH at the end. This will tell you what pH your soil mixed with RO. I say this because even though you are testing pH in your water, perhaps as your water mixes with the soil it is changing out of range.

i only use micros a couple times during bloom- seems to be very strain specific and one of the major components into 'dialing' a strain in. ie- the ogk's will want the micros much more often then say a purple strain.

i keep the pH at 6.5 pretty consistantly. sometimes it may be 6.2 or up to like 6.6ish but i really try to keep it 6.5. I use RO water.

Right now it is the dark period, but i may be busy tonite, so i am going to try for a flush in the dark and i will get right back with some pictures and the results from the flush. Thanks again guys, be right back.

Top Bottom