Please Help - Leaves Drooping and Slow Growth

• Thread starter DjEclipse
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
THCMonster

THCMonster

Treat it like a prom date and finger that sucker to see if its wet still before you go to water it... If its dry then water it... If they are drooping that usually means they need water.

When i use to grow in soil i use to always let mine droop a little before i watered. Its actually a form of growing called (root training)

You make your roots grow faster cause they are searching for water/moisture

DjEclipse

DjEclipse

Is the exhaust fan on or off , you said both
First said on , then said off , no wonder your messing everyone up 😂😂😂

Yea leave the fan on just change direction off plants, or with little wind on seedlings....

As of 20min ago I made the following changes as well as the tent configuration I posted above.

Large 6" Exhaust fan - is off. Turning it off seems to be the only way to keep humidity in the tent.

Oscillating fan - is on to circulate air in the tent.

Small clip on fan is now blowing air out of the side of the tent at the top. It has very little air flow.

THCMonster

THCMonster

Yea the higher your humidity goes up the temp usually goes up but that is still dependent on your ambient temp. Since you have a heater that stays on instead of turning on and off just try to find that sweet spot! 80F temp is fine as long as the humidity is around 50-60%. Its only when you go into flower you dont want that amount of humidity.

THCMonster

THCMonster

I actually have the same radiator heater for my bedroom so i know how it works... It just stays running... So it will definitely dry those pots out quick! Just make sure they are good and watered... Another way to boost humidity with that heater is to just put a bowl with water in it and the heater will evaporate the water over time... This is a good method because the humidity will raise as the heater increases the temp of the room

DjEclipse

DjEclipse

I wouldnt personally turn off the osc fan, the more air flow the better. Becareful with 60% humidity! Its great for your plants but just make sure you have really good air flow other wise its a breeding ground for PM (powdery mildew)

Anytime you have high humidity you want high temps with it! I run co2 so its a little different but my Veg plants are at 60-70% humidity but the temps range around 82-85 degrees. They can easily withstand higher humidity with higher temps... But if the temps arent high enough you will be creating a (morning dew, like outside) inside your room.

Ok does this mean airflow good in and out of the tent with the exhaust fan?

Or good airflow inside the tent with fans moving the air around inside the tent, and not worrying about exhaust air so much?

It seems I am not able to have both higher humidity with the exhaust fan on. Unless I go buy a smaller 4" fan. I will if I have to but I would prefer not to spend the money.

Anytime you have high humidity you want high temps with it! I run co2 so its a little different but my Veg plants are at 60-70% humidity but the temps range around 82-85 degrees. They can easily withstand higher humidity with higher temps... But if the temps arent high enough you will be creating a (morning dew, like outside) inside your room.

I can get 82-85 deg F inside the tent to go with the higher humidity.

Yea the higher your humidity goes up the temp usually goes up but that is still dependent on your ambient temp. Since you have a heater that stays on instead of turning on and off just try to find that sweet spot! 80F temp is fine as long as the humidity is around 50-60%. Its only when you go into flower you dont want that amount of humidity.

Ok got it. The heater will turn on and off by itself, just isn't that great at it. It just has numbers from 0-5, it was on 2 keeping it at 70-73deg f, Humidity went up and temps went to 85. I will find the sweet spot.

I work at a Hydroponic store so i have seen every method possible to grow basically. I cant tell you how many of my customers come in with the same problems as you are describing right now! And im from Michigan, its cold as shit here! You just have to learn to work with what you have available, as well as you will benefit from all the trial and error later on! All the best growers have ran into these problems! And if they haven't then personally they aren't that good cause the moment they do run into problems they wont know what to do about it! You will work all the kinks out eventually and it will become 2nd nature for you!

Wish you the best of luck DJ

I am in Canada so probably the same temp's as you. There is way more to growing than I initially thought, and I have barley started yet.

THCMonster

THCMonster

If you exhaust out the room then you are definitely going to exhaust both the humidity and the heater out of the tent. Because the plants are still seedlings they will benefit from higher humidity, the air flow you want to be really good inside the tent... Like for example my commerical facility doesnt exhaust air out of the rooms... We actually pull air into the rooms... But we have REALLY great air flow inside the rooms themselves. If you pull air out faster then air comes back in your creating (negative air pressure), if the force of air is equal going out as it is coming in you have neutral air flow, but i would shoot for Positive air flow (when your pushing air in faster then air can escape).

Positive air pressure allows your room to create a balance or equilibrium for humidity, temp, and air flow!

dire wolf

dire wolf

Did you mention what strains you are growing ?
Can you plant a few extra seeds as back uop ?

THCMonster

THCMonster

Literally all you have to do is flip your exhaust fan around and you will create a positive air flow... Instead of the air getting pulled out of your tent it will be getting pulled into your tent. Your Tent will inflate like a balloon when you close it up which is pretty funny... But trust me it is HIGHLY recommended!

m8ty

m8ty

Small plants like that don't need all that much light, rise the light as high possible, you can tell she's getting too much light by the yellow & drooping.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

You're chasing shadows Eclipse (get the pun?) Suggested above ^ what is causing your issue; stop by 'the beach house' in grow journals if you have any specific questions or would like some recommendations, good luck!

Edit: please don't try blowing your tent up like a balloon🤦‍♂️ you should always have negative pressure, and in my opinion you should never shut your inline fan off; the exception might be if it's on a humidity controller

Last edited:
THCMonster

THCMonster

You're chasing shadows Eclipse (get the pun?) Suggested above ^ what is causing your issue; stop by 'the beach house' in grow journals if you have any specific questions or would like some recommendations, good luck!

Edit: please don't try blowing your tent up like a balloon🤦‍♂️ you should always have negative pressure, and in my opinion you should never shut your inline fan off; the exception might be if it's on a humidity controller

To each his own Beachwalker! If it works for you then go for it, but like said in my comments i run CO2 you NEVER use negative air pressure when running CO2! Plus there are pros and cons to both methods! But for the record positive air has far greater pros then cons

Reasons Positive air pressure is better:

1) Balancing Humidity, Temps, and Air flow- because when you exhaust air out you are displacing the air outside of your room which you lose the benefit of controlled ambient air because all the ambient air is outside ur tent/ room now.

2) If you put a HEPA filter to the intake fan then no external Bacteria/ Mold cannot adequately thrive (look up how they setup sterile science labs if you dont believe the statement)
3) It cycles the Co2 if being used because the co2 that gets pushed out of the tent getting blown back into the tent, but in negative pressure you lose your CO2 the moment you exhaust air outside your room any CO2 that builds up is now gone it will not come back into the room faster then you are sucking it out.

4) when you create a negative air pressure you are basically making a vacuumed space... And in any vacuumed space you have lack of oxygen because the oxygen is getting displaced faster then it can come back into the room, since your roots thrive on oxygen this concept is counterproductive as well as any beneficial microorganisms thrive in aerobic (oxygen rich) environments, thus making negative air pressure rooms a breeding ground for anaerobic bacteria and fungi!

The only con to positive air pressure is that you cant vent the smell like you do when you exhaust... But thats why all the big time growers do recirculating carbon air filter.

Seeing as these are scientific facts and have been tested, tried and are true i will wait for your reply on source material that contradicts my info!

Look forward to your reply Beachwalker!

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

You may be running CO2 but OP isn't, and frankly since you're calling my name I didn't read much of what you said but some of your information is the worst I've ever read, but then again I didn't read much of it

THCMonster

THCMonster

You may be running CO2 but OP isn't, and frankly since you're calling my name I didn't read much of what you said but some of your information is the worst I've ever read.

Can you elaborate as to why?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

That may have sounded harsh, didn't mean to offend I can be a bit short before coffee, and if I'm honest at first I thought you were gaslighting the op, you got him turning this temperatures up to 85 flipping his fans, didn't get much past that but it seemed not only unnecessary but that it would only further confuse op, but again that's just my opinion

Imo op just needs a couple of meters to know what he's pouring into the plant, and needs to stop over watering like most first-timers, and matey mentioned his light, I didn't see what he's using but I always consider what matey says

THCMonster

THCMonster

I recommended 75-77 for him... I run at 82-85 but thats only because i run CO2

He just pecked at 80 degrees because of his heater he has.

Im not knocking on your or anyones growing technique so i never would necessarily say your wrong. Like i said before if it works for you then it works! Theres a million ways to grow this plant! Thats why its such an interesting but yet debating subject.

I would never want him to hit temps of 82+ unless he was running CO2

But in some states and areas in the summer time its almost impossible to keep rooms under 80 degrees

I appreciate you clarifying!

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Just out of curiosity..How do you transplant from those pots?
First time That I ever saw them.

I made these for plants in extended veg..works well and transplanting is easy too.
Air pot 2

THCMonster

THCMonster

Just out of curiosity..How do you transplant from those pots?
First time That I ever saw them.

I made these for plants in extended veg..works well and transplanting is easy too.
View attachment 936742
Might be ripping some roots out if they come through the bottom but you transplant just like any other pot!

There just like that to give more aeration to the pot itself

DjEclipse

DjEclipse

Did you mention what strains you are growing ?
Can you plant a few extra seeds as back uop ?

Strand is Bubba Kush from a local seed bank. It is supposed to be indica dominant. I have 3 more seeds I can start but I don't want to give up hope on these just yet.

DjEclipse

DjEclipse

Small plants like that don't need all that much light, rise the light as high possible, you can tell she's getting too much light by the yellow & drooping.

@m8ty,

Thank you for the reply. I was wanting an opinion on the light and light height/ lux at leaf level. I moved the light up to 40" above leaves. Will the leaves recover or will only new growth look better after moving the light higher?

At what point do I know I need to move the light closer? When the plant gets a few nodes?

Just with moving the light over the past 2 days the plants have stretched taller/ How tall is too tall?

Last edited:
Top Bottom