Is it powdery mildew?

• Powdery mildew

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beneficial fungi

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
Wisher619

Wisher619

I never have gnat unless I keep medium wet let my medium dry out no gnat seems ez to connect the dot

kind of cant let coco dry out make sure no leafs fall in to the medium
can you please stop giving people bad advice
Seriously please
some of us here have been growing for over 20 years
please leave the advice to the people that know what they are talking about please

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

if u been doing it for 20 years and don't know wet bring bugs im sorry air flow is key

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

this is the first this that came up on the web when ask about gnats and why u have them

Let's start by identifying a gnat. Gnats are small, black, flying insects, similar to mosquitoes but much smaller. They don't buzz, and they don't bite humans -- they're just an annoyance. Gnats often show up at the most inappropriate times -- like when you have company over for dinner -- and they like to hover around your face and head. Gnats are drawn to light, so you may notice them first in bright rooms, near a window or on a mirror.

Gnats love fungus, and fungus loves moisture! Fungus and moisture can come from:

• Overripe peaches, bananas or tomatoes that have been sitting on your counter for a couple of days
  • Softening potatoes stored under the cabinet for a few months
  • Over-watered indoor potted plants
  • Indoor compost buckets

Given this, getting rid of the gnats seems simple, right? Well, it's not quite that easy. See, gnats have a total life span of about four months, and a female can produce as many as 300 eggs, in small batches, in fermenting or decaying organic matter. This means that if you notice that you have a gnat problem but don't know where it's coming from, several dozen females can each lay a few hundred eggs in the time you spend looking for the source. It's a vicious cycle!

So how do you get rid of them?

• Keep fruits and vegetables in the refrigerator, or throw them away if you aren't going to eat them and they're "past their prime."
  • Don't over-water your plants. Not all plants need to be watered weekly (or even monthly).
  • Drain excess water from your plant containers a few minutes after you do water them. Poor drainage leads to plant rot, and both the moisture and the rot attract gnats.
  • If all else fails, find the source. Do you notice the gnats in a certain area? Maybe there's some decayed food stuck to the trash can, hidden under the trash bag? Maybe you stored food in a cool, dry place and forgot about it?
  • Move your compost pile outside. Some people keep small compost buckets inside -- the decaying food attracts gnats and provides a great place for eggs to mature.
You can, of course, kill gnats with household flying-insect spray and the old-fashioned fly swatter. It may take several days, or even weeks, to locate the source of your gnat infestation and to kill the existing ones flying around your home or office, so it's a good idea to take the preventative measures listed above while you seek and swat.

Wisher619

Wisher619

if u been doing it for 20 years and don't know wet bring bugs im sorry
seriously please stop
you think "wet" brings bugs.....the very reason why I am asking you to stop

bugs arrive through uncleanliness....improper integrated pest management etc.....

if you know how to manage your growroom you dont need any special anything and you dont need to let coco dry out and you also dont ever need to worry about a leaf dropping in the coco as it might do what?

only time I have ever had bug issues is been outside grows

Wisher619

Wisher619

this is the first this that came up on the web when ask about gnats and why u have them

Let's start by identifying a gnat. Gnats are small, black, flying insects, similar to mosquitoes but much smaller. They don't buzz, and they don't bite humans -- they're just an annoyance. Gnats often show up at the most inappropriate times -- like when you have company over for dinner -- and they like to hover around your face and head. Gnats are drawn to light, so you may notice them first in bright rooms, near a window or on a mirror.

Gnats love fungus, and fungus loves moisture! Fungus and moisture can come from:

• Overripe peaches, bananas or tomatoes that have been sitting on your counter for a couple of days
  • Softening potatoes stored under the cabinet for a few months
  • Over-watered indoor potted plants
  • Indoor compost buckets

Given this, getting rid of the gnats seems simple, right? Well, it's not quite that easy. See, gnats have a total life span of about four months, and a female can produce as many as 300 eggs, in small batches, in fermenting or decaying organic matter. This means that if you notice that you have a gnat problem but don't know where it's coming from, several dozen females can each lay a few hundred eggs in the time you spend looking for the source. It's a vicious cycle!

So how do you get rid of them?

• Keep fruits and vegetables in the refrigerator, or throw them away if you aren't going to eat them and they're "past their prime."
  • Don't over-water your plants. Not all plants need to be watered weekly (or even monthly).
  • Drain excess water from your plant containers a few minutes after you do water them. Poor drainage leads to plant rot, and both the moisture and the rot attract gnats.
  • If all else fails, find the source. Do you notice the gnats in a certain area? Maybe there's some decayed food stuck to the trash can, hidden under the trash bag? Maybe you stored food in a cool, dry place and forgot about it?
  • Move your compost pile outside. Some people keep small compost buckets inside -- the decaying food attracts gnats and provides a great place for eggs to mature.
You can, of course, kill gnats with household flying-insect spray and the old-fashioned fly swatter. It may take several days, or even weeks, to locate the source of your gnat infestation and to kill the existing ones flying around your home or office, so it's a good idea to take the preventative measures listed above while you seek and swat.
oh and I am glad that you have already identified the pest with all those pictures and that vivid discription "little flies"

please stop

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

oh and I am glad that you have already identified the pest with all those pictures and that vivid discription "little flies"

please stop

what els it really going to be if it was flys he would say a I see flys like u said some people been doing it for years don't have to think that hard on the problem

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

please stop

but don't give up bored as sin tell the lights come on:smoking:

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Bro you really think I should start a new thread ? So much usefull information here for people searching for info
Yes this thread can be found any time you have pm, and there was a 1k about it before you posted.. nobody ever use
but don't give up bored as sin tell the lights come on:smoking:
just when i get you back in the swing of things you go walk the plank on me... You aint one of them females that is always trying to tell your boyfriend how to act, what to do, how to be a man? Now i bet you can cook a hell of a meatloaf... So let wish give advice to the newbies and me and you will talk about not not letting our meat loaf :)

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Gentlemen and boyz and gurls. Lets all try to play nice in the same sand box. @tinderthumbs is just trying to be helpful. We are all entitled to our thoughts and opinions even if they can be wrong, right or indifferent.

Bottom line is and @Wisher619 does make a great point concerning pests in general, a good IPM and housekeeping is paramount in controlling insect populations. But tinder makes a good point as well due to the fact that many websites blame gnats on soil being overly wet. So to some degree his advice on keeping grow medium dryer has some merit based on available info based on website info.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

if u been doing it for 20 years and don't know wet bring bugs im sorry air flow is key
Tinder wisher was the one that had you understanding your situation 2 months ago... You know he prob knows more about bugs than u now, and you know already that we water coco everyday, so cmon now,,,,

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

why u think in the post I said u cant let coco dry out ?????
Well one minute you said let it dry out then you said water, hell im kinda confused what you want me to do now? do i water everyday or do i let it dry out, because we cant do both... so which one you want me to do?

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

Well one minute you said let it dry out then you said water, hell im kinda confused what you want me to do now? do i water everyday or do i let it dry out, because we cant do both... so which one you want me to do?

never told him to let it dry out I just said u getting gnats bc its wet so u need to prevent or u going to get the bone

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

never told him to let it dry out I just said u getting gnats bc its wet so u need to prevent or u going to get the bone
but you dont change your watering,, you top dress, and if in pots you put panty hose around the bottom,, but what ever you do, you dont change how you water in coco, because of gnats.... you can top dress with sand at 1/4 inch...

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

but you know i dont mean no ill will, so dont get upset,, just making sure we guide newbies in the right direction :)

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

sticky paper for the win its bc the soil is so wet u getting gnats
is word for word what I said I never said stop any thing just said wet MEDIUM u getting gnats I never said stop this r do that just said a way to keep them in check

what part did u miss or could u point me at were I said STOP WATERING OR CHANGE WHAT U DOING!!!!!

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

sticky paper for the win its bc the soil is so wet u getting gnats
is word for word what I said I never said stop any thing just said wet MEDIUM u getting gnats I never said stop this r do that just said a way to keep them in check

what part did u miss or could u point me at were I said STOP WATERING OR CHANGE WHAT U DOING!!!!!
about 20 posts back but im sorry, lets end this with a truce... i show you mine if you show me yours :)

WIN 20170329 21 04 39 Pro
WIN 20170329 21 04 40 Pro
WIN 20170329 21 04 42 Pro
WIN 20170329 21 04 50 Pro
WIN 20170329 21 04 52 Pro
Top Bottom