Please identify  found them on top of soil 5
Please identify  found them on top of soil 6
Please identify  found them on top of soil 7
Please identify  found them on top of soil 8
Please identify  found them on top of soil 9
Please identify  found them on top of soil 10
Madbud

Madbud

With those grabby things i think they’re a predatory mite, aphids have more like a straw for piercing and sucking up front. Opinion, not fact.

R

redshift75

is this for real? dust mites?

predator mites are fast movers. so if it were Hypoaspis miles or Hypoaspis aculeifer you'd be able to tell by the speed it moves. if they are slow they arent your friend. They appear to be dust mites. but im going to say its bulb mites(Rhizoglyphus echinopus or R. robini).
Either way kill em now you are infested.

Creativepatron

Creativepatron

predator mites are fast movers. so if it were Hypoaspis miles or Hypoaspis aculeifer you'd be able to tell by the speed it moves. if they are slow they arent your friend. They appear to be dust mites. but im going to say its bulb mites(Rhizoglyphus echinopus or R. robini).
yes they move slow

Yes they move slow How do you suggest killing them

R

redshift75

R. robini and R. echinopus are near impossible to get rid of. Since they have grown to be resistant to pesticide and miticide treatment. There arent many you can use. You can use natural treatments like sulfur but have to be careful with the plant. But Dicofol (Hilfol, Kelthane and Acarin.) genus Hypoaspis feed on all stages of bulb mites. Infestations like that. May need a predatory might for, forever control.

Edit: i dont think there is any currently labeled treatment for them.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

They look different than aphids bud. And its hard to see from the pics but i think they have 8 legs. Mites!
..that's even worse! I was trying to find the picture of that tomato plant that I had earlier this year that was infested by aphids

If those are mites that's a heavy infestation!!

I thought it was this one but yeah the legs kind of do look different
Screenshot 20200819 182415 Photo Editor

Last edited:
Creativepatron

Creativepatron

..that's even worse! I was trying to find the picture of that tomato plant that I had earlier this year that was infested by aphids

If those are mites that's a heavy infestation!!

I thought it was this one but yeah the legs kind of do look different
View attachment 1019116
Yeah no these Definitely have eight legs

Creativepatron

Creativepatron

R. robini and R. echinopus are near impossible to get rid of. Since they have grown to be resistant to pesticide and miticide treatment. There arent many you can use. You can use natural treatments like sulfur but have to be careful with the plant. But Dicofol (Hilfol, Kelthane and Acarin.) genus Hypoaspis feed on all stages of bulb mites. Infestations like that. May need a predatory might for, forever control.

Edit: i dont think there is any currently labeled treatment for them.
I ordered some Stratiolaelaps scimitus
DC8FBE48 2423 489E AC5A CD4D0CAD00B7

R

redshift75

there you go that will do it. yeah predatory seems way to go if you will deal with constant infestation *potentially.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
What's the verdict in here, did you have a positive diagnosis? what's the species?

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

View attachment 1018739View attachment 1018739This one looks like the mama babies crawling all over her back
With those grabby things i think they’re a predatory mite, aphids have more like a straw for piercing and sucking up front. Opinion, not fact.

yes they move slow

Yes they move slow How do you suggest killing them
Not sure but they may be aphids?
View attachment 1019112
What's the verdict in here, did you have a positive diagnosis? what's the species?
When you water they float to the top? they are root aphids and you can kill them with green cleaner they are a pain in the ass good luck!

Hers a link...https://www.advancednutrients.com/articles/plant-mites-symptoms-types/

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

If these are strickly in the soil and not on the plant chances are great you have nothing to worry about.

R

redshift75

If these are strickly in the soil and not on the plant chances are great you have nothing to worry about.
Technically bulb mites feast on decaying matter. Its when they decide not to and can pass disease and other issues that it becomes the issue. They arent like other mites. But doesnt mean they wont attack the plant or havent already at that level. Thats why their infestations are so devastating. because they get that huge. One day they turn now all the living plants in your field are their food and its game over. Or the diseases they can carry. Im of the mindset if its not predatory its no good. Unless its a dust mite. Which is what it looked like at first to me. Not the first time ive seen dust mites posted :)

I agree with you the potential damage is subjective from the mite. but exponential from the potential pathogens they can bring to the table. Either way predator mites will make quick work of it. May help his environment all around for the future. I run a commercial farm. So damn if im letting bulb mites get to my garlic!!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

To that point they can carry several wilting fungi and pass them through their body remaining in their waste. Including Verticillium Wilt to which their is no cure or treatment. Only disposal of infected plants. But will forever remain in the soil short of cooking it.

R

redshift75

if it were a game show id vote "c: bulb mites" final answer. πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ They lack other traits to make them appear worse. if the level of infestation was that bad. He would have far worse signs of an infestation. which is why you dont have to worry about bulb mites. But they should be treated. They just create conditions for far worse to enter the picture. To Flexnerb's point. thats why you mostly base your care of the damage by symptoms. Where some would put them in the nuisance category. Some people wont ever know because other things do their job and keep them at bay outright. to where you wont ever see them in colonies like this.

I wonder if OP's in soil that is full of compost thats not fully broken down.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Yea, yours look like Cyclamen Mites or Broad mites to me, I think I'm dealing with russets myself.

Freek1

Freek1

if it were a game show id vote "c: bulb mites" final answer. πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ They lack other traits to make them appear worse. if the level of infestation was that bad. He would have far worse signs of an infestation. which is why you dont have to worry about bulb mites. But they should be treated. They just create conditions for far worse to enter the picture. To Flexnerb's point. thats why you mostly base your care of the damage by symptoms. Where some would put them in the nuisance category. Some people wont ever know because other things do their job and keep them at bay outright. to where you wont ever see them in colonies like this.

I wonder if OP's in soil that is full of compost thats not fully broken down.
Wrong, they will flat out mess your plants up at the sweet spot for the first round, as things get worse you won't be able to get clones to grow or get out of veg. THEY ARE FROM HELL!!!
Why I am not sure whether they are bringing fungus and injuring roots or flat out eating roots...however I do know that once they get ahold of your garden the roots turn brown , your plants can't absorb nutrients.
The first round you will notice a problem in late flower as in your buds won't finish , then if you can get a harvest it lacks flavor and potency.
I think I finally found the solution....I will keep you posted.

Latest posts

Top Bottom