Please Need Help With Portable Ac Smell

• Thread starter cowboyz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cowboyz

I have my 2 portable ac that is blowing out side of my house and it smell bad in my room I have carbon filter blowing air threw my lights to my house addict and what I need hell on is how to stop my portable ac to blow out the smell? Should I get a inline scrubber for the room and will that help me with the ac blowing out smell? Please help me

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
I have my 2 portable ac that is blowing out side of my house and it smell bad in my room I have carbon filter blowing air threw my lights to my house addict and what I need hell on is how to stop my portable ac to blow out the smell? Should I get a inline scrubber for the room and will that help me with the ac blowing out smell? Please help me
Put a carbon filter on it? I've done it.

C

cowboyz

What you mean by putting a carbon filter on it? By putting a carbon filter at the end of my ducting where the ac is blowing all the heat out?

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
What you mean by putting a carbon filter on it? By putting a carbon filter at the end of my ducting where the ac is blowing all the heat out?
Yes. As long as the humidity of the air being blown out doesn't get up above 65% you can use a carbon filter.

C

cowboyz

Would I need a inline fan as well? Or is the carbon filter by its self good?

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
Would I need a inline fan as well? Or is the carbon filter by its self good?
I don't know if a inline is designed to operate at temps in the high 90s or low 100s.
Check to see what the ac exhaust cfm rate is. Then use twice the recommended carbon filter for that size exhaust. Don't exceed the duct length recommended for the ac either. Best of luck.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

I'd watch out with that b/c restricting the airflow of the output puts stress on the compressor and may lead to failure.
IMO portables are garbage but a necessary evil if you're renting or in any situation where you cant have a compressor outside.
I ghetto rigged a duct to the intake on mine so it's pulling air from the outside instead of stinky air from inside, and it works fairly well.
Anyway, here's an article on portable a/cs if you're interested:

C

cowboyz

I'd watch out with that b/c restricting the airflow of the output puts stress on the compressor and may lead to failure.
IMO portables are garbage but a necessary evil if you're renting or in any situation where you cant have a compressor outside.
I ghetto rigged a duct to the intake on mine so it's pulling air from the outside instead of stinky air from inside, and it works fairly well.
Anyway, here's an article on portable a/cs if you're interested:
That's a good idea but how would I do that? Cause don't the ac suck in from the filter where the ac is?

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

When I get home I'll put up a picture of what I'm describing. There should be some kind of opening on the back of the unit where it draws air in to cool its compressor. It's feasible to attach a duct to it with metallic tape/hot glue and then route where you want the air to come from.

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
That's a good idea but how would I do that? Cause don't the ac suck in from the filter where the ac is?
You obviously have a single hose ac. You CAN put a carbon filter on the exhaust of the single hose ac without any problems if...
1. You use bigger carbon filter than you need. (So you don't restrict airflow)
2 Do not exceed the manufacturers max exhaust duct length specifications.

I have done it with no problems.

Best of luck.
Peace

C

cowboyz

When I get home I'll put up a picture of what I'm describing. There should be some kind of opening on the back of the unit where it draws air in to cool its compressor. It's feasible to attach a duct to it with metallic tape/hot glue and then route where you want the air to come from.
Please send me a pic so I know what you talking about thank you

C

cowboyz

You obviously have a single hose ac. You CAN put a carbon filter on the exhaust of the single hose ac without any problems if...
1. You use bigger carbon filter than you need. (So you don't restrict airflow)
2 Do not exceed the manufacturers max exhaust duct length specifications.

I have done it with no problems.

Best of luck.
Peace
Yes I have 2 one is single and the other one is duel just trying to get the smell out and an save up to get a mini split thanks for your advice

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

I like @ShroomKing a idea, that would totally work, never thought about it from that angle.

Here's how mine is set up:

Taped the duct (on the right) around the intake then used a can of foam to seal it in. Here's the intake/exhaust blowing in/out of the crawlspace:

Hope this helps.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I run 2 different portables. both only have 1 exhaust hose, no 2nd intake hose. I have absolutely no smell. I run my exhaust about 30' max out my window, and I have a separate 6" 440cfm fan on speed controller to help get that hot air out. my fan lasts about 1yr, but has a 3yr warranty and I just send it back in when it gets noisy. I have spare/backups of just about every hard part for growing (bulbs, ballasts, fans, ect). id be very cautious about adding a carbon scrubber to the exhaust tube with out adding a separate fan. you'll burn out the ac motor rather quickly.

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
I run 2 different portables. both only have 1 exhaust hose, no 2nd intake hose. I have absolutely no smell. I run my exhaust about 30' max out my window, and I have a separate 6" 440cfm fan on speed controller to help get that hot air out. my fan lasts about 1yr, but has a 3yr warranty and I just send it back in when it gets noisy. I have spare/backups of just about every hard part for growing (bulbs, ballasts, fans, ect). id be very cautious about adding a carbon scrubber to the exhaust tube with out adding a separate fan. you'll burn out the ac motor rather quickly.
If you use a carbon filter that is rated 2x higher than your ac exhaust fan it will not add drag to the system.

C

cowboyz

So do you think its just my duel hose ac that pushing all the smell out? And the single hose ac is fine and it not the one blow out the smell?

Top Bottom