Please Recommend A Basic Nutrient That You Are Loving

• Thread starter slimjimham
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
palm eezy

palm eezy

I've personally run GH 3 part for years, and have had great results. Any problems have been related to water quality or too much dry kool bloom as a rookie. Once I figured it out, my meds caused other growers to ditch the more expensive lines (only to switch back lol). Started first in 5 gallon buckets and now in RDWC for 3+ years. At first I used regular well water with the hard water formula and had varying degrees of success. At one point I was convinced I'd need to switch in order to improve taste and quality. Over the years I've come to realize that the environment plays a major role in how plants grow & turn out. Boosters are more for plants not being grown in ideal conditions. I had gotten to a point where I had ratios that worked fairly well, but am now using close to what FooDoo posted that he uses (4ml CalMag/ 3ml Micro/ 3ml Gro / 9ml Bloom, although usually roughly 75% actual strength) from the moment that they hit the UC, all through veg and halfway through flower. I also use Armor Si, homemade UC roots, epsom salts. and .8 ppm IBA up til the stretch is over. ph was only ever an issue when the ratios were (way) off, or I had nasties forming. I do not get the vigorous drift up like DS would describe except at certain points in flower. But it does move slowly how it is supposed to.

High humidity/temps first half of flower, dropping down slowly towards the end. Not having your room humid and in the 80s during the last half of flower makes a huge difference, too, IME. Actually, it goes both ways. Warm and hot while they are stretching and cool and dry while finishing will make more of a difference than any one nutrient line vs. another [when utilized correctly.]

The other major factor is that if you are going water culture and aren't already successful with a live system... do yourself a favor and go 100% minerals/UC roots/IBA.

re: Cutting Edge

I was going to switch to them after seeing another guy's results in ebb/flow. Some people swear by them. In the end I've found success with 100% mineral nutes-sterile-IBA-dialed environment.

Last edited:
THCdurk

THCdurk

Of you got insta gram check out hydroponic research they have a all in one nutrient called veg+bloom and it's where it's at

slimjimham

slimjimham

@palm eezy what's the iba you are young and at what dose? Do you notice a huge improvement in root structure with it?

palm eezy

palm eezy

I bought 99.9% off ebay. Had the same question as you so I read in a related post somewhere that .8 ppms was a good target. So I figure it out by 800mg / 1,000,000ml [265 gal] water... where 1ml=1g. end up weighing out about ~.25 for 70-80 gals. Firm, sprout-smelling jumbo fishbones. Blowing out of the netpot, no stringers. Not fuzzy/hairy like with RE etc. Roots grow great/explosively but unfortunately it just packs my containers even faster. I'm either going to be upgrading to 13s (packed to the point that I should just make troughs) or run from rooted clone in my flower room instead of waiting in a veg room.

Before, I had plants growing long stringers unless i used RE/rapidstart etc. but swore that somehow those products ended up causing me slime issues (could be water quality.)

Even a tiny amount of the stuff has an impact. Before I was scaling it and just experimenting I'd sprinkle 5-10 flecks in a 5 gallon bucket (~4 gal water) for overflow clones and they started blowing my chilled/well-aerated veg away. No lightproofing other than a double bucket, $3 stones, etc..

The reason I rambled about the environment so much is because it wasn't until I had things somewhat dialed that I was able to get good results from lower ppms, pH stable & all. Found no stability (constant corrections/dives/spikes) with any formula when all I had was fans and some a/c and fresh air, but still pulled respectable quality with very very poor gpw. Studied nutrient profiles some, listened to the "keep your ppms low" folks, but realized it was all for naught in a room with humidity and temp swings out of range/control. ymmv.

Disclaimer: I'm still barely a journeyman in the grand scheme of things and my opinions are still a work in progress. I've battled slime/algae/snot/everything and havent given up on water culture yet :)

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Hydroponic Research for the win.
Cheaper than most mentioned here. Plus I can get people discounts making it even cheaper.
Alot of people have switched to them and loving them. @THCdurk @CelticEBE and many more have switched.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I made the switch about 2 years ago from Heavy 16.....and I never looked back. Super simple, and killer results.

Give it a shot.....you will be glad you did!

White Fire grown with Veg+Bloom
Wifi

Lemon Alien Dawg grown with Veg+Bloom
Lad

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Hydroponic Research V + B is a potent complete dry formula. I can be used throughout, just increase ppms during flower. They also have other formulas

I veg ~ 300 and flower ~ 600.

Here's an early veg picture

IMG 3332
Al-53

Al-53

I just started up a UC system I built..I copied my son's systems ..he runs 3 ..I am now running Aqua Flakes in it and very impressed with the results so far,.,,just about to flip them and will use the flakes ..I was given a quart bottle of the heavy 16 fire so will add that also..I been using half of the dosage is on Aqua Flakes so will do with do sane with the fire an maybe slowly increase as i go along...I run a 500 ppm now and will try going to 800 during flower...

Now i see lots of talk for the Veg& Bloom here...I run that for my outdoor grow..I use the Dirty.....it is great stuff...I use the Life also and a product they had before .it was like shine..a flower booster..this stuff works..
after this run of Aqua Flakes I am going to try the V&B in the UC system..I talked to Chris and he will make me a nute to my water...

My son run the Current Solution nutes and it works great also..but I was told the company who made it for them stopped making thier nutes...so I do not know who is doing it now.,.But I did gear that H&G is moving to Cali and there was talk they may have been approached by CC to do a nute line...

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

A product they had before .it was like shine..a flower booster..this stuff works..
I believe you're referring to +Size. Which I have been informed was relabled as Shine.
I really like these nutrients.
I'm setting up a room and starting to play with mixing a few of the bases.
Also will be playing with some rockwool slabs in a drain to waste.
Thinking of trying 2 grams of HD and 3 grams RO/Soft for my base on these.
@ill eagle curious if you have mixed HD and RO/Soft as a base at what ratio?

Al-53

Al-53

I believe you're referring to +Size. Which I have been informed was relabled as Shine.
I really like these nutrients.

yes thats the product...after posting I went to look for it...I realy like the V&B nutes..for outside...now I want to try inside...

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

yes thats the product...after posting I went to look for it...I realy like the V&B nutes..for outside...now I want to try inside...
Private message me if you want a discount if you decide to order.

Al-53

Al-53

I believe roots is the only thing that is being made by someone else.everything else from cultured solutions is the same. i ran heavy 16 ..the whole line for two years. Cultured solutions blew it away.u will definitely need a chiller with 16 set at a minimum of 70 or u risk bio film with the heavy due to the high organic inputs. Farm on......

dawg..I spoke with my son last night..and he thinks roots is only thing being changed..so your right...he now is using H&G Drip clean...I run a chiller now..my temp is at 66-67 ..now the 16 I was given is the Fire..I was told it had no carbos or sugar complex's in like Prime...but if you think it will raise hell in the system I will not use it...right now just using Aqua Flakes...

RoeBuck

RoeBuck

I'm on my 6th run using Aqua Flakes, Nitrogen Boost, Multi Zen, Top Shooter and bleach as my sterilizing agent. So far the results have been very good. Before CC came out with their own line they recommended Aqua Flakes. I run a top off res, and through a bit of trial and error have learned that setting the correct ppm and pH in the top off will keep the system very stable. Early on when I was still learning how to run RDWC I got great help from their tech support when I had some issues. I had thought about giving the CC nutes a try but like they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Now that I've added a second system I'm considering doing a side by side with the same strain to compare the two.

Top Bottom