Point out my errors please lol!

• Thread starter StonedPngwin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
StonedPngwin

StonedPngwin

I'm going to try and make this as simple as possible for all involved lol. ... Tried my first bho run last night. . .. It came out alright but I know it can improve a lot. I will list my materials, and then my process, and any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated!

7g glass extraction tube
Coffee filter
Vector 14x butane
Pyrex dish for collection
Silicon baking mat
Pancake griddle
Razor blade
Ti dabber
My starting material was 7g of finely ground green Crack nugget
Which brings me to my first question, can the starting material be too good? What I mean is, when I was cleaning up I noticed the inside of my extraction tube seemed to be just covered in crystals. . .. Well some sticky substance anyways. My starting material had a TON of keef, should all the crystals be pulled out with the butane? Is the sticky substance normal after a blast?

I blasted directly into my Pyrex which I had sitting in near boiling water. Is this recommend or should I start the water bath after my blast?
After the large bubbles stopped forming once all the liquid butane had evaporated, I scraped everything into a pile, and transferred to a silpat I had sitting on an electric Pancake griddle on low heat. I spread everything really thin, and let it bubble for about an hour and a half. At this point I think it got to hot because it lost translucency and became "dry". Am I correct in assuming I got it to hot? With such a small yield (around 1.5gs) would you think a water bath purge would be a better route than using the griddle?

bongobongo

bongobongo

Supporter
Ya, just got it too hot mate.

I'd also suggest getting some slick sheet to use instead of silmat

Jeckle

Jeckle

Don't grind your flower unless you want fats and lipids through aswel, unless your dewaxing then grind away, don't agitate your oil for at least 36 to 48 hrs , make sure your temp never hits above 120f at least till your happy with stable shatter

StonedPngwin

StonedPngwin

Don't grind your flower unless you want fats and lipids through aswel, unless your dewaxing then grind away, don't agitate your oil for at least 36 to 48 hrs , make sure your temp never hits above 120f at least till your happy with stable shatter
Do you recommend just breaking the Nuggets into smaller, more uniform pieces by hand? Thank you for the advice!
Stop using chemicals.. that's a good spot to start.
I take it by your name your more of a fan of pressed dry sift or bubble hash? While I agree this is safer and cleaner, I've kinda run out of things I can do differently with my sift. The bho is just something I was curious about. I know I'm at the lowest skill level possible, but it always pays to be informed and ask questions.

StonedPngwin

StonedPngwin

Ya, just got it too hot mate.

I'd also suggest getting some slick sheet to use instead of silmat
Appreciated! Shows how much of a newb I am..... I assumed silpat and slick sheets were the same

Jeckle

Jeckle

Yes dude break into smaller nugs but you don't want to bring everything else through with, may get bit more in weight but quality or quantity

Hodor

Hodor

I have recently started making bho also and had the same thing happen with the leftover crystals on the extraction tube. Is this normal and is there any way to get them out useable? I also run into some sticky residue on the clamp and outside of coffee filter, is this normal?

J

juggo

The leftover "crystals" on the tube are empty trich stalks and heads,you extracted all the goodies from inside.I always trim the coffee filter small as possible on the tube,and you can put the sticky filter in the tube and blast it next round.All normal.I avoid those silimats and teflon pads and crap,i have seen that crap get into extracts and turn it into poison.I extract,evaporate,and purge in only pyrex.Parchment paper is suitable for storage,but I prefer a small glass jar.

peace,
juggo

Last edited:
StonedPngwin

StonedPngwin

The leftover "crystals" on the tube are empty trich stalks and heads,you extracted all the goodies from inside.I always trim the coffee filter small as possible on the tube,and you can put the sticky filter in the tube and blast it next round.All normal.I avoid those silimats and teflon pads and crap,i have seen that crap get into extracts and turn it into poison.I extract,evaporate,and purge in only pyrex.Parchment paper is suitable for storage,but I prefer a small glass jar.

peace,
juggo
Thanks!

Hodor

Hodor

peace,
juggo
Thank you for the helpful tips.

peace,
juggo
How would you go about extracting the leftovers? Should I just throw the past filters in the tube w/ a new 2 filters on the bottom? And what should I be expecting for a yield from a 7 g run. I am currently getting around a g from it. Any tips on a larger yield?

StonedPngwin

StonedPngwin

Thank you for the helpful tips.

How would you go about extracting the leftovers? Should I just throw the past filters in the tube w/ a new 2 filters on the bottom? And what should I be expecting for a yield from a 7 g run. I am currently getting around a g from it. Any tips on a larger yield?
Hey hodor, it seems were both at the same stage in our experimentation, if you don't mind, we should bounce experiences back and forth off each other. How many runs have you done so far? On the outside of your filter, did you have little hard white crystal looking "things" lol. I was thinking the same thing, saving those filters, and once I have a few, fold em up and stuff em into the top of the extraction tube. What kind of equipment do you use? And what's your purging method? I'm getting almost identical yield from a 7g run so I think we can't be that far off. Here's a pic of my second batch, much nicer than my first.

WP 20140810 002
Jeckle

Jeckle

Do not save any filters dude that just butane on the outside there might look like trichs left but butane strips the gel inside the trichome all your left with after is the remnants of a trichome doused in butane , if your extracting you can't be poor lol, if can afford to make oil can defo afford to not scrimp on anything , long term affects aren't worth the smoking now dude it a health hazard.

StonedPngwin

StonedPngwin

Do not save any filters dude that just butane on the outside there might look like trichs left but butane strips the gel inside the trichome all your left with after is the remnants of a trichome doused in butane , if your extracting you can't be poor lol, if can afford to make oil can defo afford to not scrimp on anything , long term affects aren't worth the smoking now dude it a health hazard.
Thank you for saving me from a useless and possibly hazardous experiment! Now here's an odd question for you lol, do you think it would be worth it, or possible for that matter, to do an extraction from stems and sticks? I don't mean large stalks from a grow, but I always take out small stems from my flowers before I grind them. Years ago I was pushing a little weight and saved an onion of these, put em in a bottle of vodka, and let it sit in a dark closet for 18 months. Thinking of this I've been saving them again, currently have over half an onion of nice trich covered stem pieces. What do you think would be my best route to go with them? I'm not a drinker so the vodka is out (which by the way turned out amazing, highly recommend trying)

Hodor

Hodor

U
Hey hodor, it seems were both at the same stage in our experimentation, if you don't mind, we should bounce experiences back and forth off each other. How many runs have you done so far? On the outside of your filter, did you have little hard white crystal looking "things" lol. I was thinking the same thing, saving those filters, and once I have a few, fold em up and stuff em into the top of the extraction tube. What kind of equipment do you use? And what's your purging method? I'm getting almost identical yield from a 7g run so I think we can't be that far off. Here's a pic of my second batch, much nicer than my first.
hey pngwin- I would love to bounce ideas and methods back n forth.
I am currently running a 7g glass extraction tube that I pack moderately and use 2 reg. coffee filters stretched very tightly over the end and clamped, trimming off the filter as close as I can get it to the clamp. My blast and purge goes as followed:
1. Blast into a Pyrex round dish(about 8" round and 4"deep)and let it bubble for a min or two.
2. I place my Pyrex dish that I blasted into inside a larger glass dish filled with water(just under the boiling point)and let it purge for about 10 min. Then dump the water and refill with new hot water. I repeat this process until I stop seeing large bubbles forming(popping the bubbles as they form)
3. I then bring my Pyrex dish in and put it on a electric skillet with the heat set at the lowest setting(120*f). As I let it sit and heat purge it starts to almost have a foaming kinda look(butane purging). As this is happening I am scraping the sides of the dish down and starting to collect it into the center of my dish allowing it to purge(stirring often to help expedite the purging process). I will usually let this process go for anywhere between 30-45min. Trying to get as much butane out as I can. If I scrape it right off after the 30-45 min. I seem to get a pull n' snap similar to the pic u posted. Or u can start whipping during the 30-45 min. and I had it come out in a almost budder/taffy form. I will post pics of both runs.
--and to answer your questions I have done 5 runs so far and another today(running low. Hehe) and yes I have the same problem w/ getting sticky residuals on the filter and inside the tube. I have heard a few people say save the filters and blast them to get leftovers out. I will let u know how the repurge of filters and leftover trichs on walls of extractor.
Sorry for rambling but hopefully will be a great learning experience for the both of us! How do u like the slick mats? Thinking of getting some.

Hodor

Hodor

Image This was my 2nd batch ever(made w/ shake and trimming from bottom of bags....about 30 different lb. bags) did not have the greatest taste due to being a bit old and such a variety of herb.

Hodor

Hodor

Image This was my last batch that was made w/ Hindu Kush nugs that were broken down into manageable pieces. This was the batch I talked about whipping. Larger yield and easier to handle. Better taste too, but better herb used.

StonedPngwin

StonedPngwin

Do yourself a favor and get an oil slick pad, they are phenomenal. But don't make the mistake I made lol, at first I went out and bought a silpat (silicon baking sheet) thinking they were the same thing just rebranded. How wrong I was lol. The oil slick pad is so nice, literally nothing sticks to it. You can bend and fold it and shape your oil. You can apply a lot of heat to them no problem. I'm almost considering buying one of the large ones and putting it in the bottom of my Pyrex when I blast. I saw a guy do it online and the results looked promising.
Read this about saving and reblasting the filters. Makes sense. I'll post you details about my setup later today. Happy blasting man!

Jeckle

Jeckle

Stems and sticks are high cbd and cbn, you can extract but you need a lot and bear in mind won't be a high more a medicinal quality which sometimes in my opinion is worth more than a high, overall health is relevant that's why I only dab, unclean oil is probably as bad as smoking cigarettes

Top Bottom