chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Police stop 23 Boulder-bound drivers on U.S. 36 at drug checkpoint

By Joe Rubino and Cory Lamz Camera Staff Writers
Posted: 06/13/2012 09:48:19 PM MDT
Updated: 06/13/2012 09:49:24 PM MDT

Westminster police stopped 23 cars and made one arrest at a high-profile drug checkpoint in the Boulder-bound lanes of U.S. 36 on Tuesday night.
The cars were stopped for traffic violations between 7 p.m. and 12:30 a.m. near the Church Ranch Boulevard exit, Westminster police investigator Trevor Materasso said.
Of the 23 stopped, it's unclear how many were searched for drugs, but three traffic tickets were issued, and one man was arrested on suspicion of felony marijuana possession, Materasso said.
A person must possess at least 12 ounces of dried marijuana to be charged with a felony in Colorado, according to state statutes.
"I think it's a key public safety resource and tool to do drug interdiction," Materasso said. "The interstate and highway systems are recognized as conduits that allow large-scale (drug) trafficking through Westminster the Denver metro area."
Ari and Jennifer Armstrong were heading home to Westminster around 9:40 p.m. Tuesday when they saw the drug checkpoint and two civilian cars pulled over on the shoulder of the highway.
"They had orange cones flagged out for those cars," Jennifer Armstrong said in an email. "The trunks and doors were all open, so they were obviously doing a search."
She and her husband saw more cars being searched on Church Ranch Boulevard.
Mark Silverstein, legal director for the American Civil Liberties Union of Colorado, urges drivers to be aware of their civil rights during a traffic stop.
"One of the disappointing facts about the state of people's awareness of civil liberties is many, many, many people don't know they have the right to say 'no' to a search," he said. "If a cop stops you and says, 'Mind if I look in your trunk?' it's your choice."
A bill passed in 2011 makes it the legal obligation of a police officer to tell people they have the right to deny a voluntary search, Silverstein said.
Materasso said Westminster officers, about 12 of whom participated in the checkpoint, follow legal guidelines when performing vehicle searches.
"Initial contact is made through a lawful traffic contact for some identified violation, and the drug interdiction is based on additional probable cause that would indicate to officers that there would be some kind of narcotic in the vehicle," he said. "Officers are always allowed to ask for voluntary consent if the driver will allow the search, and the driver has the option to say 'no.'"
It was the second time a drug checkpoint has been enforced by the Westminster Police Department in the past year. The last one was in August 2011 on Interstate 25 near the 144th Avenue exit.

DowNwithDirT

DowNwithDirT

damn....

NEVER let them search....if you have your red card and it smells your are fine.....if they tell you they want to be sure your in compliance, assure them your medicine is just very strong.

they should have been on the others side of the road anyways....ha...who's driving nug from denver to boulder....wtf. backwards

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Sounds like the donut shop was closed for the night and they had nothing better to do.

outwest

Reactions: mal
K

kolah

Checkpoints are unconstitutional, period. But that doesn't seem to matter anymore. Since we don't enforce OUR rules (The Supreme Law of the Land), they just make up their own ones and enforce them as they see fit.

V

vierundzwanzig

drones look like spaceships and caused some panic in dc.
they are toying with us now. its about to hit the fans.

where I live they are getting close to curfews and lock-downs.
already have foot patrol going door to door in hot bed areas.

putembk

putembk

Being old and married makes it easier for me to be inside after the sun goes down. Years ago had a fishing friend that was a Denver cop and he told me that after 8:00 pm every stop is suspected of having drugs or alcohol. Rather its a checkpoint or a routine stop they are looking for something. Be safe and just say NO to a search.

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

Fuck Westminster and to hell with their nazi police force. Don't spend one penny in that hell hole of a city. Drive around if possible. Hope somebody sues over this. Losing money is the only way these dicks learn.

true grit

true grit

drones look like spaceships and caused some panic in dc.
they are toying with us now. its about to hit the fans.

where I live they are getting close to curfews and lock-downs.
already have foot patrol going door to door in hot bed areas.

Damn where do you live?

And yeah I was on the road for the last Drug Checkpoint they had on 36. But they did as they were supposed to and had the obligatory signs up letting drivers know that there was a "Drug Checkpoint Ahead"...and the opt out exit. So far in Co I've seen and been given appropriate notice on that checkpoint and 2 DUI checkpoints. They did use a dinky ass sign, which Im sure most motorist do NOT pay attention to.

K

kolah

If you choose to say no to a search or refuse to comply with the oinkers, be prepared to be cuffed and hauled to jail. They will impound your car as well. And they will most likely find something to charge you with. It's happened to me three times, twice they released me with no charges and the last time they charged me with two counts, one, obstruction of a officers investigation (I refused to talk, my 5th amend right) and harrassment (a completely fictitous charge which pigs always use). I took it court, represented myself and won. The first charge was not guilty and second charge was a hung jury. The last bout was is Manitou Springs. I wanted to follow up with a suit but didn't want to invest the time and energy. I think there is a 3 year window to file charges though. One more good reason why I want to rid myself of a vehicle....as it is THE number one place for pig encounters.

true grit

true grit

Yeah its definitely an unsettling situation, but i am very firm on my constitutional rights and for the stop to be legit they have to give fair warning and an opt out exit...so always keep your eyes peeled on the road!

Just another means of income...like red light cameras and their bogusness.

V

vierundzwanzig

Damn where do you live?

And yeah I was on the road for the last Drug Checkpoint they had on 36. But they did as they were supposed to and had the obligatory signs up letting drivers know that there was a "Drug Checkpoint Ahead"...and the opt out exit. So far in Co I've seen and been given appropriate notice on that checkpoint and 2 DUI checkpoints. They did use a dinky ass sign, which Im sure most motorist do NOT pay attention to.

its a commonwealth state so we probably belong to the uk
the mexico canada highways go right through the heart of the midwest and recently they have made sure we stay high. cali weed is dropped off weekly along with much harder drugs that haven't been around since the 70s.

a lot of the stuff is in the wording and location in regards to being defiant.
tg and some others might have what it takes to raise up against the law like some suggest.
for me though I cant fight from behind the walls that will never release me again.
honestly If you argue a traffic stop where I'm from it's so volatile they will murder/shoot you on the spot.

propaganda and paranoia will cause a great many to lose their lives/freedom to fight

that's My truth and I've seen enough to know rite from wong

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Fucking entrapment is what it is,any jury would see right through the fact that however many units were out there werent doing it to hand out seat belt tickets.Im going to fire off an email to westminster city hall and the local chamber of commerce letting them know i will NEVER spend one red cent in a town that supports violating or using intimidation to violate peoples civil rights.Fuck you westminster pigs,how many REAL felony crimes were committed while you were fucking with people minding their own business driving down the road.

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

Checkpoints are unconstitutional, period. But that doesn't seem to matter anymore. Since we don't enforce OUR rules (The Supreme Law of the Land), they just make up their own ones and enforce them as they see fit.

fucking BINGO

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

Dude that's still pretty fucking scary, CHECK POINTS ? Doesn't sound like it will be that long before there on every on ramp and off ramp, if there doing this shit and getting away with it.

Its been going on for years aroung the country.

One of the presents left to us by Reagans drug war.

true grit

true grit

Last one I saw on 36 was not like a full DUI checkpoint where they stop all cars coming thru.

T

ToastyRoadie

You should never consent to a search. For one thing, if they break something expensive like an ipad or DSLR camera and lenses and you consented, oh well, you consented.:(

Here is a good video on how to handle yourself.....

K

kolah

Those are great vids. But as I mentioned before, doing so raises the possibilities that you will get arrested, tased, possibly beat-down and jailed. Once they put you under arrest they can legally search you, your possessions (backpack, etc) and this includes your vehicle. Encounters with pigs should be comments such as this. "Officer, I have nothing to say at this time and choose to exercise my 5th amendment right to remain silent and I would like a phone call to my attorney if you choose to arrest me." I would follow this by saying, "If you are putting me under arrest I would like to know on what specific charges, sir." If you are not putting me under arrest am I free to go?" Stick to those comments and say nothing else. I plan to install a small video camera in my vehicle as my defense weapon. As soon as you encounter the cops use your cellphone to call a friend to let them know you are being pulled over or encountered (if it's not in a driving situation). Tell your friend what type of cops it is (what city, county sheriff , etc) because if you get arrested it is sometimes hard for your friends to figure out where precinct or jail they they took you to, especially if they deny you a phone call, as they did to me. I will not enter into a conversation with the pigs and won't answer questions like, where have you been, where are you going, do you know the speed limit here, were you drinking, are you a MMJ patient, etc. And I will refuse a sobriety road test (I have a bad knee therefore I would fail the test) I will mention that to a cop should he ask by saying, "In all due respect Officer I can not pass that test due to medical issues. Same goes for my refusal to blow a breathalyzer by saying, "Sir IMO you have no valid reason to ask me to blow into a breathalyzer (although they could lie and say you were swerving which is quite common). I'd continue, "I will not not honor your request, Officer, because they are highly inaccurate and often reveal false positives which can be caused by gargling with mouthwash and a host of other food and drink products." (this will usually piss them off and their sarcastic comment will be, What are you, a lawyer or something?" Again take the fifth and shut your yapper. What they want is a confession of guilt (which makes their charges and their case a slam-dunk) and they will lie and try to con you in any way they can. (They pulled me out of the car and pointed a taser 3 feet away from my chest) Cops are now trained to lie and it is "legal" for them to do so. They prey on young kids, use intimidation, play good cop-bad cop to get what they want. It's even worse at night as they keep their lights blaring and keep you a bit disoriented and often call back-up when you start telling them you won't talk. You can have all this memorized in your head but once you truely get into the encounter it can be quite nerve-racking. You have to practice it out before hand and never give in to your conviction of silence. But as I said, be prepared to be arrested. A nice tactic to use is to ask the officer to speak to his Chief of Command. The Chief SHOULD know and respect your right to remain silent where a regular oinker won't know the law or just plaint refuse to respect you position. A police Chief is more in the public eye and he or she will be more apt to respect your wish. You still might be cuffed and jailed though, then given some bogus traffic citation and released. They do not make big revenues with handing out tickets, they want the dope, guns and vehicles, that's how they get feathers in their caps. The "pull-over" is just the device used to further their "investigation" and go after bigger things (DUI, dope, guns, other crimes). It takes some balls to do this and at first it's quite difficult. After a few times it becomes a bit enjoyable because you have (in a sense) beat the pricks at their own game. You also have to option to sue them for wrongful arrest, illegal detainment, violation of your rights, etc. And you may even mention this to the cops, in a polite but firm fashion. Trust me, pigs absolutely hate it when you clam up. I wish more folks would do so. And BTW if they scribble you a ticket, take it and go. And if you refuse to sign the ticket, be ready to get dragged out of car, have a weapon pulled on you, get tasered, car impounded and hauled down to the cop-shop.

Pigs no longer care about road safety or personal safety, it's all about power and taking your shit. And they will do anything to get it, if you let them. IMO, cops like to arrest folks on the weekend where you will often sit in jail and wait to go before a judge on the following Monday. Friday nights seem to be their "cherry picking" night and they most often prey on younger folks and the people driving beat up cars. AND pretty women.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom