Possible Issues To Expect When Switchin To Flower

• Thread starter Zakattack
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Zakattack

Zakattack

I'm gona be switching this next from my mh light over to my hps light to start flowering .this is my first indoor grow so I just wanted to get a bit of advice as to what possible issues might arise and any other helpful hints .. Mh was on for 18/6 an hps is gona be 12/12.

Growing in a mix of 50/50 coco/perlite.

Also regarding the nutes. I'm using the flora micro, grow,bloom.. Was mixing it at 6.5ml micro, 5mlgro and 4bloom to 4.5l. Do I cut out the grow nutrient completely? Thanks

Last edited:
J

jsv1027

I'm gona be switching this next from my mh light over to my hps light to start flowering .this is my first indoor grow so I just wanted to get a bit of advice as to what possible issues might arise and any other helpful hints .. Mh was on for 18/6 an hps is gona be 12/12.

Also regarding the nutes. I'm using the flora micro, grow,bloom.. Was mixing it at 6.5ml micro, 5mlgro and 4bloom to 4.5l. Do I cut out the grow nutrient completely? Thanks

Are you growing hydro or in a soil medium?

Zakattack

Zakattack

I use general hydroponics also. The first week of flower I give them 4ml of each per gallon. 4ml grow, micro, and bloom. It helps them transition to flowering. Hope this helps. I also use plain water every 3rd time I water. Helps with nutrient build up in the soil.
Thanks Bro. When u say u used plain water, is that literally plain RO water? Because I read on another thread to never give plain water but rather a third or quarter strength of the nutes as the "water" .

J

jsv1027

I have heard of pe

Thanks Bro. When u say u used plain water, is that literally plain RO water? Because I read on another thread to never give plain water but rather a third or quarter strength of the nutes as the "water" .
I do not use reverse osmosis water. I use plain tap water ph'd to 6.2-6.5. Luckily my tap water is pretty good stuff. I fill my jugs of water, and let them sit for 48 hours with the cap off. This allows any chlorine to evaporate off. My routine is feed twice, then plain water once. This is what works for me. It's even recommended by general hydroponics. Do whatever works for you. And, whoever said you can't give a plant some good ol' plain water from time to time is WRONG!

dan1989

dan1989

Flushing in coco is fine as long as you give it a dose of nutes within a day or two. Read about coco and cation exchange. You shouldn't really flush as a general matter of course, you are supposed to feed in coco with EVERY watering. Use a mild strength feed say quarter. Seamaiden and Wisher619 are my go to people on this.

dan1989

dan1989

Expect your plants to stretch for the first two or three weeks and plan accordingly.

J

jsv1027

Flushing in coco is fine as long as you give it a dose of nutes within a day or two. Read about coco and cation exchange. You shouldn't really flush as a general matter of course, you are supposed to feed in coco with EVERY watering. Use a mild strength feed say quarter. Seamaiden and Wisher619 are my go to people on this.
Well said. I use a pro mix with extra peat, perlite, and vermiculite. I've never used Coco. My apologies!

Zakattack

Zakattack

M
I have heard of pe

I do not use reverse osmosis water. I use plain tap water ph'd to 6.2-6.5. Luckily my tap water is pretty good stuff. I fill my jugs of water, and let them sit for 48 hours with the cap off. This allows any chlorine to evaporate off. My routine is feed twice, then plain water once. This is what works for me. It's even recommended by general hydroponics. Do whatever works for you. And, whoever said you can't give a plant some good ol' plain water from time to time is WRONG!
Sweet! My schedule is full strength nutes, then the 3rd strengthen then nothing. Will give it a nice flush sometime soon. Would the water I flush it with have to be ph'd to the same level as the nutes I've been giving it?

J

jsv1027

M
Sweet! My schedule is full strength nutes, then the 3rd strengthen then nothing. Will give it a nice flush sometime soon. Would the water I flush it with have to be ph'd to the same level as the nutes I've been giving it?
Yes, to prevent nutrient lockout you wanna keep water at your ideal pH for the type of soil you are using.

Zakattack

Zakattack

Thanks Bro. Should I then flush the plants with a very mild solution of nutes? I haven't Flushed them once yet an its been 8 weeks. They look good so I'm not sure if they actually need a flush

T

TripC

Thanks Bro. Should I then flush the plants with a very mild solution of nutes? I haven't Flushed them once yet an its been 8 weeks. They look good so I'm not sure if they actually need a flush
Whenever in coco or coco/perlite mix NEVER flush. I'd go along with some of the comments above - every third or fourth feeding give it a 1/4 to 1/3 strength feed. This acts as a "flush" when in coco/perlite. It's more often than a true flush in soil, but that's ok because your plants will thank you for not allowing excess salt buildup in your medium that will burn your plants when they get a little dry waiting for the next watering.

Lights to 12/12 schedule, as you mentioned in your original post.

I'd recommend 4ml GH grow per gallon the first week of flower then taper off to 3ml grow per gallon 2nd week of flower, and then a continuous 2 or 1 ml of grow per gallon throughout flower. Up bloom to at least 6ml per gallon by 4th week of flower. And micro can taper but not as quickly or as much as grow. Good luck!

Zakattack

Zakattack

Whenever in coco or coco/perlite mix NEVER flush. I'd go along with some of the comments above - every third or fourth feeding give it a 1/4 to 1/3 strength feed. This acts as a "flush" when in coco/perlite. It's more often than a true flush in soil, but that's ok because your plants will thank you for not allowing excess salt buildup in your medium that will burn your plants when they get a little dry waiting for the next watering.

Lights to 12/12 schedule, as you mentioned in your original post.

I'd recommend 4ml GH grow per gallon the first week of flower then taper off to 3ml grow per gallon 2nd week of flower, and then a continuous 2 or 1 ml of grow per gallon throughout flower. Up bloom to at least 6ml per gallon by 4th week of flower. And micro can taper but not as quickly or as much as grow. Good luck!
Shot Bro! Some Solid advice there! Appreciate it

dan1989

dan1989

Shot Bro! Some Solid advice there! Appreciate it

This guy knows what he's talking about, i followed his advice and have pics, will put up pics of them hanging when I chop on Friday....

so here is the deal on coco

coco has a very unusual cation exchange with a high capacity for holding on to nutrients

by testing runoff you are really only testing waste mixed with fresh salts that exceeded the cation capacity

if you want a true reading pull a plug of your coco and soak it in ro water for 24 hours
strain and test

that is what is called a slurry test
that would be your most acurate reading

for coco......since most here arent running a giant digitaly controlled agg operation

only worry about what goes in
and make sure at leat 5-10% runs out the bottom

as for Canna Coco being to hot

maybe.....not......maybe what you were seeing is malnutrition from noting in the coco

I plant springtailed seeds directly into canna and they start life with 1.5ec feeding

I can go into scientific detail on what happens in coco but the only thing we need no know is
1. always keep coco moist
2. Always feed with every watering
3. Never let coco dry out
4. Always allow for 5-10% runoff
5. always ph between 5.8-6.2

Zakattack

Zakattack

I'm growing in coco by the way
Dam those look Good! What are your room dimensions and and are those just 2 plants in there?

Also I see your light is quite close to your plants.. I'm using 400w mh at the moment and keeping the light at 45-50cm away from the top of the canopy. Do you see an issue if the plants grow to close to the light say at a maximum of 35cm from it.. ?

Zakattack

Zakattack

This guy knows what he's talking about, i followed his advice and have pics, will put up pics of them hanging when I chop on Friday....
With regards to feeding every watering. I've been going on a 3day schedule of full strength nutes the first day, 1/3 strength nutes the second and nothing on the 3rd . plants seem to be doing well. What is your feeding schedule like?

Latest posts

Top Bottom