Possible lockout in living soil?

• Thread starter Docta Haze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Matthewstever

Matthewstever

Someone else mentioned environmental stress...I almost killed my girls letting them get too cold...leaf edges curled up just like in your pics...

Docta Haze

Docta Haze

Someone else mentioned environmental stress...I almost killed my girls letting them get too cold...leaf edges curled up just like in your pics...
Thank you for sharing! I have these girls in the same bedroom where I'm sleeping and the temps never go below 63. I understand phosphorus is impeded by cold temps. Perhaps the leaf curling is related to a phosphorus issue too.

Bmg1982

Bmg1982

Non-glandular unicellular trichomes are what forms on the underside of the leaf. They will not form heads that big. The only thing you should be seeing on the underside of your leaves are those tiny hair like structures that make up that type of trichome, anything else is problems.

Last edited:
Docta Haze

Docta Haze

Non-glandular unicellular trichomes are what forms on the underside of the leaf. They will not form heads that big. The only thing you should be seeing on the underside of your leaves are those tiny hair like structures that make up that type trichome, anything else is problems.

Alright, I'll keep this in mind. I'm sure I seem far too hopeful to be avoiding mites, but why can't I identify any of them? Have you seen these mites near their eggs on the underside of the leaf?

Bmg1982

Bmg1982

Alright, I'll keep this in mind. I'm sure I seem far too hopeful to be avoiding mites, but why can't I identify any of them? Have you seen these mites near their eggs on the underside of the leaf?
I've seen very few of the actual critter. Broads are really fast, and cyclamens will hide in the yellowish deformed new growth that comes off as a nitrate deficiency and looks also like a mag issue. You may want to find a site that's just starting to open, and crack it and see what you find. Cyclamens tend to stick to new growth, where as Broads tend to infect most of the plant.

Docta Haze

Docta Haze

I've seen very few of the actual critter. Broads are really fast, and cyclamens will hide in the yellowish deformed new growth that comes off as a nitrate deficiency and looks also like a mag issue. You may want to find a site that's just starting to open, and crack it and see what you find. Cyclamens tend to stick to new growth, where as Broads tend to infect most of the plant.

Hey I just found this on reddit. Not sure on the credibility of the source, but at least I can identify the type of trichromes better, and I hope my pictures reveal a type of trichrome called Capitate-Sessile.

"Capitate-Sessile:

(approximately 25-220 micron resin head; one micron tall stalk) The second type of gland is much larger and much more numerous than the first. These are called capitate-sessile. Essentially meaning globular head attached without stalk. These glands actually do have a one cell high stalk, but it is not visible when observed by macro. Instead, the globular head seems to be sitting flush on the plant. The head is usually composed of eight to 16 cells that create a convex rosette formation. These head cells secrete cannabinoids and terpenes between that rosette and cuticle, resulting in a spherical shape."

"Capitate-sessile trichome (center) on cannabis leaf surrounded by non-glandular trichomes or cystolith hairs."
3oK1AYH

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Screenshot 20200128 162308 Google

Docta Haze

Docta Haze

View attachment 935014

Thanks for the reference Beachwalker. I still feel confused though. On page 3 of that post "Scrappy-doo" makes the same conclusion I am making:

"Have you even positively identified any sort of mite? If you're just going off the pics of those 'eggs', those aren't eggs. They're either glands or stomata I'm pretty sure.

What I do know is that leaves have those and they're normal. At one point I was having all sorts of problems and thought maybe I had broad mites, so I took a high powered scope and saw those. They're on every leaf and spaced out equally.

I never had any broad, cyclomen, or other microscopic mites and those problems all went away. The problem was something else completely. Don't go trying to destroy those your plant needs them."

I want to go with Scrappy-doo on this one. I feel like i've had similar experiences, where i've seen these sessile trichromes before all over.

Docta Haze

Docta Haze

This page eventually concludes that these trichromes are not mite eggs and are actually sessile trichromes:

another page concluding the same thing - trichs, not eggs. Though it has confused many and for good reason!

Again I'm worried people will view this thread and think it is most likely I have a mite infestation. I was hoping to find advice on nutrient antagonism and how to flush/treat potential organic soil imbalances.

I understand that at high levels of phosphorus it begins binding to available calcium. I am am pretty sure I amended too much high phosphorus guano while mixing this soil. The phosphorus could have bound to the calcium and formed calcium phosphate.

At this point the calcium is now unavailable to my plants, and I see major heat stress issue from transpiration failure. I raise my 300w HPS light from 18" to 24" and remove the plant from direct light and symptoms improve. Nevertheless, I still have a nutrient deficiency that I'm not sure how to fix. Do I flush my soil with an enzymatic product like slf-100 to clear out the phosphorus and calcium, or do I use a phosphate solubilizing bacterial product like mammoth p to release the calcium phosphate into a chelated form?

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

So I don't see any bite marks (little white dots) on the top of the leaves; You see no mites

I don't see any of those little round balls touching in groups like you'd expect, they look spread out in a pattern like they belong to the plant. On the other hand they sure do look like eggs, so Idk?

I've already vacillated enough LOL this is a learning thread for me so I'll watch and learn, I hope it works out for the best for you🤞 good luck!

Edit: yes that's why I posted it because like Scrappy-Doo in that thread they also had varied opinion and I found that interesting

Last edited:
Bmg1982

Bmg1982

Thanks for the reference Beachwalker. I still feel confused though. On page 3 of that post "Scrappy-doo" makes the same conclusion I am making:

"Have you even positively identified any sort of mite? If you're just going off the pics of those 'eggs', those aren't eggs. They're either glands or stomata I'm pretty sure.

What I do know is that leaves have those and they're normal. At one point I was having all sorts of problems and thought maybe I had broad mites, so I took a high powered scope and saw those. They're on every leaf and spaced out equally.

I never had any broad, cyclomen, or other microscopic mites and those problems all went away. The problem was something else completely. Don't go trying to destroy those your plant needs them."

I want to go with Scrappy-doo on this one. I feel like i've had similar experiences, where i've seen these sessile trichromes before all over.
Those trichomes are glandular, glandular trichomes typically serve the purpose of sunscreen to a plant. Those are common to the top side of a leaf and not bottom. Good luck.

Docta Haze

Docta Haze

I see how my words can be misinterpretted, i'll edit my original post for clarity. I meant the MAC clone is struggling, not the the clone shop. The clone shop is ran by SUBdlc and its called 313 clones..they have built a reputation in California and now in Detroit. Haven't found any complaints yet about mite infestations.

You are sure about eggs then? Did it look like this for you when you dealt with your infestation? I am still dubious, because I cannot find a single mite!

I meant to write "SUBlbc" not "SUBdlc" for where I sourced these clones at 313clones.

Docta Haze

Docta Haze

So I don't see any bite marks (little white dots) on the top of the leaves; You see no mites

I don't see any of those little round balls touching in groups like you'd expect, they look spread out in a pattern like they belong to the plant. On the other hand they sure do look like eggs, so Idk?

I've already vacillated enough LOL this is a learning thread for me so I'll watch and learn, I hope it works out for the best for you🤞 good luck!

Edit: yes that's why I posted it because like Scrappy-Doo in that thread they also had varied opinion and I found that interesting

I'm going back and forth too! My gut tells me that these are sessile trichromes based on their color, shape, and arrangement on the leaf. They are arranged uniformily where they exist at all. The mite eggs I've seen tend to be grouped together. Also, why can't I find any mites no matter how hard I look all over the plant. I'm going blind from staring through a microscope so long lol.

Thank you again for sharing in this thread. I hope we can discover something more definitive eventually!

Last edited:
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I dont know about the egg thing. leaves do have resin glands on them that under 120x might look like that. I've never used magnification that high.

And I'm not sure about broad mites either. Damage from those usually looks like similar to mg def but more stippled, and severe canoeing at the base of the leaves. I'm not really seeing either of those signs.

Docta Haze

Docta Haze

I dont know about the egg thing. leaves do have resin glands on them that under 120x might look like that. I've never used magnification that high.

And I'm not sure about broad mites either. Damage from those usually looks like similar to mg def but more stippled, and severe canoeing at the base of the leaves. I'm not really seeing either of those signs.

Yes I agree about the symptoms of broad mites. Although I haven't encountered them personally, it becomes obvious after looking at 100+ examples of russet mites online that they eat away the leaf so that it looks like mg deficiency, and they'll even accumulate so much as to form rust carpets on the petioles. I figure if i'm seeing hundreds of "eggs" id at least find one mite.

Then I found out thanks to @Bmg1982 that cyclamen mites are a noteworthy pest, and their eggs do in fact resemble the trichomes I am seeing, but not exactly. So I am left to thinking that I still have a nutrient issue, and I spent a long time staring at sessile trichromes today.

Just found these pictures of cyclamen mites and eggs from: http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/organic/news/2015/2015-01a2.htm

2015 01a2f4
2015 01a2f5
Bmg1982

Bmg1982

Your not going to find glandular trichomes on the bottom side of any leaf, no matter what the plant is. It serves no function there. Non glandular trichomes will be everywhere. You are specifically dealing with the cyclamen mite.

Docta Haze

Docta Haze

Your not going to find glandular trichomes on the bottom side of any leaf, no matter what the plant is. It serves no function there. Non glandular trichomes will be everywhere. You are specifically dealing with the cyclamen mite.

Oops, just realized I've been using the word "trichrome" this whole time haha. I'm gonna have to do more digging into sessile trichomes and how to identify cyclamen mites. At the very least now, I have new things to consider. If I do identify them as cyclamen mite eggs, would the treatment be neem, high heat environment, and predatory insects?

Thanks

Docta Haze

Docta Haze

If I looked under the microscope and just saw this it would be so easy!

Cyclamenmites

Instead I see this:
Photo 2020 01 28 13 11 31

Photo 2020 01 28 13 12 13

The mite eggs seem oval, and what I am seeing seems round.

Bmg1982

Bmg1982

Oops, just realized I've been using the word "trichrome" this whole time haha. I'm gonna have to do more digging into sessile trichomes and how to identify cyclamen mites. At the very least now, I have new things to consider. If I do identify them as cyclamen mite eggs, would the treatment be neem, high heat environment, and predatory insects?

Thanks
I really am just trying to help, I'm in the Michigan area and these fucking things are everywhere. I'm constantly helping my crew clean these things up.

I understand I'm kinda the new guy around here and trying my best not to shit on anyone's lawn. I have my own journal were I explain myself a bit. I work with a lot of plants outside of cannabis and have most of my life. These things are real common in ornamental plant greenhouses all over the country. I've worked in some of these greenhouses.

Docta Haze

Docta Haze

I really am just trying to help, I'm in the Michigan area and these fucking things are everywhere. I'm constantly helping my crew clean these things up.

I understand I'm kinda the new guy around here and trying my best not to shit on anyone's lawn. I have my own journal were I explain myself a bit. I work with a lot of plants outside of cannabis and have most of my life. These things are real common in ornamental plant greenhouses all over the country. I've worked in some of these greenhouses.

I post on THCfarmer before anywhere else, because I tend to find thoughtful people looking to help such as yourself. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience with me. My experience is limited to 5 years growing cannabis about 5 plants per year. So it is extremely limited, and I have so much to learn.

In your experience you wouldn't expect to find trichomes on the underside of a leaf in any species? I understand trichomes exist on species besides cannabis.

Edit: Are you familiar with the work of Ethan Russo? I tried digging up a comment about the evolution of trichomes, and all I could find was a mention that their selection pressure seemed to be driven by UV protection and pest protection. I can't figure out why the underside of a leaf wouldn't have trichomes. Especially knowing how many pests like to linger under leaves.

Latest posts

Top Bottom