Post transplant drrop and clawing help.

• Thread starter Raisin8420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Raisin8420

Raisin8420

Hi all I'm looking for some guidance from you fine ladies and gents on the farm.
These ladies, I transplanted 3 days ago and they started clawing the following morning and havnt recovered, is this transplant shock? They are still a little bit heavy from the initial wet down of the soil, is there anything can be done to help, would a foilar feed help?

They were potted in a soil/coco/perlite 3:1:1 mix in 6L pots and just watered with plain ph'd 6 water initially.
Room is at 26c/78f 65 r/h, lights are 2x250w kingbrite boards running 18/6 hours

I know one of these strains are sensitive to waterings and usually droop but come back quickly however all 3 are doing the same to an extent and haven't recovered at all.
Any comments or help is much appreciated
Post transplant drrop and clawing help

Post transplant drrop and clawing help 2

Post transplant drrop and clawing help 3

Thanks for looking

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I don't know what's wrong with your plants but in the future I'd recommend you pick either soil or coco and go with one or the other.

I would not foliar spray anything, I would raise the lights and let the plants rest, what medium were they in before the transplant?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I think they will recover but it might take a few more days depending on your transplant method. Damaged roots can cause a plant to stall until they recover. I wouldn't foliar feed yet until your new roots fill out their new homes. They appear to be a little light green in color, but that could simply be from camera effects. New growth is usually a lighter green, but it seems like you are possibly a little light on Nitrogen, which usually helps with greening up... along with Iron. If you can get liquid seaweed, it provides plenty of Iron and a few micronutrients... any fertilizer usually has enough Nitrogen but if you aren't feeding heavily enough, you might need to add more.

Raisin8420

Raisin8420

I don't know what's wrong with your plants but in the future I'd recommend you pick either soil or coco and go with one or the other.

I would not foliar spray anything, I would raise the lights and let the plants rest, what medium were they in before the transplant?
Thanks man the lights are way up 60cm+, they were in the same mix before too in small lil pots.

Raisin8420

Raisin8420

Is all of your perlite on the top?
Beach is right. Soil or coco, not both.
Nah just a layer of perlite on top, I was having some gnat and aphid issues through the last couple gos at it, so i layered with perlite up top and bottom as part of pest prevention. Edit perlite is mixed through too.

Raisin8420

Raisin8420

I think they will recover but it might take a few more days depending on your transplant method. Damaged roots can cause a plant to stall until they recover. I wouldn't foliar feed yet until your new roots fill out their new homes. They appear to be a little light green in color, but that could simply be from camera effects. New growth is usually a lighter green, but it seems like you are possibly a little light on Nitrogen, which usually helps with greening up... along with Iron. If you can get liquid seaweed, it provides plenty of Iron and a few micronutrients... any fertilizer usually has enough Nitrogen but if you aren't feeding heavily enough, you might need to add more.
Yea they are a bit light green up top and my feeds have been pretty light I think, 350 ppm in the smaller pots before transplant, I tried my best to not to damage any roots but they weren't even a whole lot of roots coming out, il give em a lil more rest for now, thanks for the reply!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Yea they are a bit light green up top and my feeds have been pretty light I think, 350 ppm in the smaller pots before transplant, I tried my best to not to damage any roots but they weren't even a whole lot of roots coming out, il give em a lil more rest for now, thanks for the reply!
The 350 PPM might sound like a lot, but it is a measure of the TOTAL dissolved solids and not any specific nutrient. Some tap water has a mineral content of 300, but little of it is Nitrogen or any of the major nutrients, mostly minerals such as Mag and calcium. It's possible that you have a lot of minerals (and decent PPM) but not the right kind or balance of the nutrients. This is why I supplement the Promix I use and the fertilizers with some organic stuff, like composted manure and wood ashes... both provide a wide spectrum of both major and minor nutrients, covering all bases.

Raisin8420

Raisin8420

The 350 PPM might sound like a lot, but it is a measure of the TOTAL dissolved solids and not any specific nutrient. Some tap water has a mineral content of 300, but little of it is Nitrogen or any of the major nutrients, mostly minerals such as Mag and calcium. It's possible that you have a lot of minerals (and decent PPM) but not the right kind or balance of the nutrients. This is why I supplement the Promix I use and the fertilizers with some organic stuff, like composted manure and wood ashes... both provide a wide spectrum of both major and minor nutrients, covering all bases.
Oh yea the water is 80ppm out of the tap, so that is included, I'm still figuring out, transplant,soils mixes and nutrient needs as I go, only really deviating from the plagron schedule if they look like they need it. Iv had a couple issues with drainage and getting a balance on the feeding all the way through veg n flower on the few grows iv done, so I made a couple tweaks this run, iv still pulled a couple decent harvests so it's all good! Il be checking the ladies in a bit il see how the are going.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Oh yea the water is 80ppm out of the tap, so that is included, I'm still figuring out, transplant,soils mixes and nutrient needs as I go, only really deviating from the plagron schedule if they look like they need it. Iv had a couple issues with drainage and getting a balance on the feeding all the way through veg n flower on the few grows iv done, so I made a couple tweaks this run, iv still pulled a couple decent harvests so it's all good! Il be checking the ladies in a bit il see how the are going.
With every grow under your belt you get more knowledge and experience. I have my method dialed in for max resukts with minimal nutrients, but it works well for me but maybe not someone else. It will soon be second nature and actually get hard to screw up after a while. Good luck and keep up the hard work!

HeLLfiReZ

HeLLfiReZ

Combo of transplant shock and overwater. After a transplant just a very light water. I often do just a ring around the new medium and a watering of the root area. Slowly working up to a full medium saturation over the next few waterings.

I grow in peat, and bombing a new medium to full saturation on transplant day assures my plant will be droopy for a week or 2.

Raisin8420

Raisin8420

With every grow under your belt you get more knowledge and experience. I have my method dialed in for max resukts with minimal nutrients, but it works well for me but maybe not someone else. It will soon be second nature and actually get hard to screw up after a while. Good luck and keep up the hard work!
Thanks @Jimster

Raisin8420

Raisin8420

this does look like transplant shock..... I have done worse where the leaves totally drooped, looked dead and typically about a week to recovery.
Thanks for the reply! Gonna let em dry and see if they stand back up.

Raisin8420

Raisin8420

Combo of transplant shock and overwater. After a transplant just a very light water. I often do just a ring around the new medium and a watering of the root area. Slowly working up to a full medium saturation over the next few waterings.

I grow in peat, and bombing a new medium to full saturation on transplant day assures my plant will be droopy for a week or 2.
Sounds about right they did get a decent bit of water in the pots after the transplant, not to full runoff but a lil bit out the bottom.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter

Bingo.

fishbuds

fishbuds

yea transplant shock for sure - low light and a light watering when you transplant - very light on the nutes too
that's a good point about the easy light immediately following transplant. my plants seem to do better if they just sit in a corner for a day or two rather than going back under the light 5 minutes after transplant. i do the easy water method too after transplant. little or no nute during transplant for rich soils works for me.

Raisin8420

Raisin8420

Thanks for the replys folks! I turned the lights down and lifted them up a bit more, they seem to be coming around now anyway, still some drooping but the worst of the clawing has eased. They are looking a bit light green tho and most have purpling on the stems now too, I suppose showing some stress of the transplant maybe? They will get a decent feed maybe 5-600ppm of the veg nutes on the next watering after they dry fully..
I had been getting cuts from the shop and putting them straight in the final pots, but have been trying a perpetual grow buzz with some moms and taking cuts and putting em in small pots first ect so a learning curve on the transplant this time! Easy on the initial watering lol
Here they are now with the lights on for a couple hours.
20200212 163637

20200212 151258

Top Bottom