Post UC Questions and Concerns Here

• Thread starter UCHQ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lovintits

I am also a licensed electrician, so any electrical questions I would be glad to answere :)

Bubba kush

Bubba kush

I don't think you should run bleach in the system and maybe they are getting lum shock from the lights. Not sure since I'm getting ready to run my first UC run in the EVO XL13 12 site.

Shane20

Shane20

Question- Is there a special reason besides assembly that the 2" pipe is cut at a 45 degree angle? After having too change a cracked bucket and stuffing socks in ziploc baggies to stop flow it would be beneficial to have a straight cut on the pipe. That way you could just put some 2" pvc plugs from home depot that the outside diameter is the same as the pipe and shop vac out the one bucket. Shove pipes out of bucket dissassemble and install new one. Make sense?

Bubba kush

Bubba kush

That would be too easy lol. I have a leaky bucket now and need to put some silicone on it.

215greenmachine

Long time listener, First time caller!

Got a question about my water system. I have a merlin R/O with a pre filter and post filter.(first 5 stages) Then that runs through a custom heavy duty deionizer that was made just for the merlin. (last 2 stages) I've been using it, but my plants don't seem to grow quite as fast as my last run with a different R/O, but it wasn't at the same place, so...who knows!

My question is: Is it ok to run my UC with the deionized water(all 7 stages), or is it better to run it with just the r/o water(first 5 stages)?

BTW- The de-ionizer brings the water to 0 tds.

any insight is appreciated! --GM

UCHQ

UCHQ

THCFarmer Sponsor
Supporter
Question- Is there a special reason besides assembly that the 2" pipe is cut at a 45 degree angle? After having too change a cracked bucket and stuffing socks in ziploc baggies to stop flow it would be beneficial to have a straight cut on the pipe. That way you could just put some 2" pvc plugs from home depot that the outside diameter is the same as the pipe and shop vac out the one bucket. Shove pipes out of bucket dissassemble and install new one. Make sense?

The 45 degree angle is the allow the pvc to slide into the uniseal....we've found that 90 degree angles don't work very well.

UCHQ

UCHQ

THCFarmer Sponsor
Supporter
Long time listener, First time caller!

Got a question about my water system. I have a merlin R/O with a pre filter and post filter.(first 5 stages) Then that runs through a custom heavy duty deionizer that was made just for the merlin. (last 2 stages) I've been using it, but my plants don't seem to grow quite as fast as my last run with a different R/O, but it wasn't at the same place, so...who knows!

My question is: Is it ok to run my UC with the deionized water(all 7 stages), or is it better to run it with just the r/o water(first 5 stages)?

BTW- The de-ionizer brings the water to 0 tds.

any insight is appreciated! --GM

Though it's not impossible to use DI water, it's at very least a waste of what it costs (resin filters) to make this stripped down version of H2O. There being some mineral content in your parent water your adding your nutes to is actually a benefit for the incoming mineral nutes in terms of stabalizing in solution.
Filtering your water with an RO is ample in 99% of garden applications.

215greenmachine

Ok. Just to make sure I'm comprehending. I should ditch the DI cause it makes the water too clean(in terms of minerals) for nutes to be stable?

So nute uptake will be better with just R/O?
I'm guessing, by when you say, "it's not impossible to use DI water", that it is much more difficult for the plants to grow in the DI water, opposed to R/O.

Sorry for going on and on, I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing!

Thanks for the help,

GM

UCHQ

UCHQ

THCFarmer Sponsor
Supporter
Ok. Just to make sure I'm comprehending. I should ditch the DI cause it makes the water too clean(in terms of minerals) for nutes to be stable?

So nute uptake will be better with just R/O?
I'm guessing, by when you say, "it's not impossible to use DI water", that it is much more difficult for the plants to grow in the DI water, opposed to R/O.

Sorry for going on and on, I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing!

Thanks for the help,

GM
It's more that the benefits don't justify the added cost of producing DI water....may be worth contacting a water filtration company like Hydrologic or Growonix to get a better explanation on the details concerning gardens and DI water.

G

growgrow

Flush

I think i might have posted this in the wrong section earlier..... Hey guys... Just ordered my 16 site UC and it will be here in like 3 Days!!!!... but i'm trying to figure out the best times and methods of Flushing the system. I havent really read how you guys are xfering from week to week... are you guys emptying the system every week? every 3 weeks? Never? if so ... how are you xfering from week to week nute differentials. using a flush agent? straight ro? top off res? PLEASE ADVISE......

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
TO DAN,

I met you in person at the convention on Sunday, and I wanted to thank you for taking so much time to talk to me about my MPB, even though its not a UC. Too fuckin cool man. Big ups to you and your company, and I am looking forward to my first Commercial UC set up in the future.

S

smokey_waters

4 questions

1) For a rooted clone in rockwool, the water level must be above the net pot, but below the rockwool. So if I put 1.5" of hydroton below the rockwool, I only have 1.5" margin for error. Will water levels constantly be fluctuating, making this a mofo to keep up with or will the little gals not drink that much?

2) You mentioned using a bottle brush, green pad, biogreen for cleaning. Prior to using the system, should it be cleaned this way or just flush w/ water? H2O2?

3) You mentioned having nutes in top-off rez at same ppm as system. With that set up, how would you lower the ppm in the system if you needed to?

4) The recommended reservoir for a 16 double barrel XL is 125 gallons, what if I use a 55 gallon rez as my top off? Any drawbacks. I plan to then use my 100 gallon rez as water storage for a nute change out.

Thx!

UCHQ

UCHQ

THCFarmer Sponsor
Supporter
1) For a rooted clone in rockwool, the water level must be above the net pot, but below the rockwool. So if I put 1.5" of hydroton below the rockwool, I only have 1.5" margin for error. Will water levels constantly be fluctuating, making this a mofo to keep up with or will the little gals not drink that much?

2) You mentioned using a bottle brush, green pad, biogreen for cleaning. Prior to using the system, should it be cleaned this way or just flush w/ water? H2O2?

3) You mentioned having nutes in top-off rez at same ppm as system. With that set up, how would you lower the ppm in the system if you needed to?

4) The recommended reservoir for a 16 double barrel XL is 125 gallons, what if I use a 55 gallon rez as my top off? Any drawbacks. I plan to then use my 100 gallon rez as water storage for a nute change out.

Thx!

(1) Should be no fluctuations as the plants won't begin really displacing nutes via transpiration/usage....at which point you'll have more root mass in the solution and more margin for error.

(2) Rinse if you see debris u'd like to remove, but systems are generally very clean out of the box...if anything consider a damp rag.

(3) Add water to the system or simply reduce the concentration in the top off to compensate.

(4) Once the plants really start using nutes from the top off you'll need to keep a closer eye out so as not to deplete the top off and system as well.

S

smokey_waters

Thanks for your prompt reply. I am still unclear whether using a 55 gal top off and 100 gal for water storage will pose any problems in my 16 double barrel xl system. It appears the only drawback is having to refill it more like every other day during the heaviest water consumption period to make sure the system stays at around 100 gallons. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

S

smokeydabear

I dont have much room right now but plan on moving this spring and the plan is to get two 12 site 13xl systems (medical state, 12 plants per patient).

Right now I have a room thats 5'x8' with 2x 1000watt lights in there. I was going to just order the 6 site 13xl system and then order more buckets and a pump when I get more room. Get a few runs under me before I try the bigger system.

do you think I will be ok with that system and that size room on a 2 week veg? 7' I got for height (8' walls with 1' for lights)

H

hollywood7

I just got a ucxl12 setup i would like to know how long plants can survive a power outage ? i have chiller set up thru the pump my flow seems a little weak i wonder if going thru the chillers sharp bends restricts some of the flo

B

BavarianFarmer

I just got a ucxl12 setup i would like to know how long plants can survive a power outage ? i have chiller set up thru the pump my flow seems a little weak i wonder if going thru the chillers sharp bends restricts some of the flo

I've had power outages for at least 12 hours and they were fine. It's just scary hoping the roots dont drown with no air pumps. Cause that would be your problem before worrying about the stagnant water from no water pumps.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
We sometimes lose power for days:sweating

if your losing power for days - it dont matter what kind of setup you have - your in for a messed up harvest

you can not be having lighting interruptions in flowering and expect everything is gonna be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom