Post your Organic Soil Mix

• Thread starter justiceman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OctoberDee

OctoberDee

Great thread. I look forward to using one of these supersoil mixes next spring. IMO you cannot beat organic soil , fresh air and natural sunshine. ....and no use of nasty toxic chems or sprays.

You got that right. I'm indoor right now but nothing like sunshine. I use organic soil with worm compost I make myself and have tried using Earth Juice supplements, it's usually too much and my plants tend to burn. When I just use my dirt and water my babies love it. Also I never really get spider mites or any pests except for fungus gnats (which I found out sand prevents). When I was growing hydro I would get spider mites pretty often no matter what.

Medijuana

Medijuana

Here is a tried and true soil mix I've used in the past from subcool before I started to try and blend my own. Good stuff indeed. Just needs to "cook for 2-4 weeks before use for premium performance. It's not a bad idea to moisten the mix with a compost tea or with kelp while it's cooking in a garbage can or some other container. It's important for it to be slightly moist but NOT WET. If it smells bad like poo poo aerate the mix.

8 large bags of a high-quality organic potting soil with coco fiber and mycorrhizae (i.e., your base soil)
25 to 50 lbs of organic worm castings
5 lbs steamed bone meal
5 lbs Bloom bat guano
5 lbs blood meal
3 lbs rock phosphate
¾ cup Epson salts
½ cup sweet lime (dolomite)
½ cup azomite (trace elements)
2 tbsp powdered humic acid

Hi Justiceman, this is the exact recipe I'll be using for my first grow, and I had the same question as someone else about the Azomite. This is the only ingredient I haven't yet mixed in (delivery just came today), but I feel like it isn't much at all. Do you think adding more would be helpful for this mix? I can't imagine that the Azomite would cause any burn issues, as it is essentially powdered rock, but I had to order a huge bag of it directly from the company as there's no one near me that carries it.

Keep It Simple:

VEG:

- Roots Organic Potting Soil

- Down To Earth BioFish 7-7-2 (Ingredients: Hydrolyzed Fish, Fish Bone Meal, Feather Meal, Sulfate of Potash, Alfalfa Meal, Blood Meal, Acadian Kelp Meal and Dolomitic Lime)

- Amended with Roots Organic Earthworm Castings

- Amended with Alaskan Humisoil

- EWC TEA every feeding w/ high nitrogen guanos, kelp, aminos, Mycos, soluble silicate, Humics and Fulvics, Fish and Seaweed

Flower:

- Roots Organic Potting Soil

- Down to Earth All Purpose 4-6-2 (Fish Bone Meal, Blood Meal, Rock Phosphate, Greensand, Langbeinite, Kelp Meal, Humic Shale Ore)

- Amended with Roots Organic Earthworm Castings

- Amended with Alaskan Humisoil

- EWC TEA every feeding Fish and Seaweed, Primal Harvest Seabird Guano, kelp, aminos, Mycos, soluble silicate, Humics and Fulvics, Rock Phosphate, Pure Soluble Sulfate of Potash 0-0-50

Crush on.

turbo

Turbo, does this mean you re-pot between the veg and flower phase? I'd be afraid of introducing any stress to the plants at this point with the hermie issues and all. Have you found a way to do this without stressing them out too much?

symbiote420

symbiote420

This is my flowering mix:
1) Sunshine Mix #4
2) Ancient Forest Humus
3) Earthwom castings
4) Bat guano
5)Wood chips
6)Greensand
and 7) Peace of Mind Bulb Food 3-8-8, which has feathermeal, bone meal, kelp meal, rock phosphate, sulfate of potash and potash magnesia, gypsum, humic acids, and lots of soil microbes.
Throw in some big chunky perlite, let it cook a couple of weeks.
I gave them Pure Blend Original Bloom .5-.5 -1 and Advanced Nutrient's Nirvana after three or four weeks in.

justiceman

justiceman

Glad to see mixes being presented here!

Why just 1/2 cup of azomite???? You could use a lot more of that stuff.

Namaste :bong2:
Your right I believe a good general rule of thumb for most amendments is about 1-2Tbsp per gallon medium. That just happened to be a recipe I used last summer for an outdoor grow and it worked it quite well.

Hi Justiceman, this is the exact recipe I'll be using for my first grow, and I had the same question as someone else about the Azomite. This is the only ingredient I haven't yet mixed in (delivery just came today), but I feel like it isn't much at all. Do you think adding more would be helpful for this mix? I can't imagine that the Azomite would cause any burn issues, as it is essentially powdered rock, but I had to order a huge bag of it directly from the company as there's no one near me that carries it.

It's enough to get some trace minerals in the mix but I can understand wanting to add a bit more since that recipe is surely light in the azomite. A good general rule of thumb is adding 1-2 Tbsp of any amendment per gallon of soil unless your experience dictates otherwise. If your feeling sassy you might want to up the amount of dolomite lime in that mix too UNLESS your base soil already has it in the mix.

---------------------------------

Here's a base mix I just came upon and I'm going to use it for my next tent run after I finish up the Grape Ape.

4 parts coco
4 parts perlite
2 parts Alaskan humus/EWC

Per Gallon
1tbsp per gallon dolomite
1tbsp per gallon diatomaceous earth
2tbsp per gallon neem seed meal
2tbsp per gallon kelp meal
3tbsp per gallon EJ Rainbow Mix Grow

I moistened it up a bit with some cold processed liquid kelp for extra microbe food about a week ago and now I'm just letting it "cook". I have the mix in a huge rubbermaid container witch I open up and turn once every day or so. Smells great and it should be ready to use in another week or so.

LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

Ok I am looking to reuse some old soil Ive had stored in my outside flower bed It is all FFOF, RO, and A-1 soil. I have about 25 cubic feet of it. It has all been used once before, and its cut with 30% chunky perlite. I am reading these recipes and they all seem like they are for brand new bags, that being said around how much more would I add (ie 2x 3x 4x?) since the soil has all been used and flushed for two weeks. Thanks for any input you guys have!

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Ok I am looking to reuse some old soil Ive had stored in my outside flower bed It is all FFOF, RO, and A-1 soil. I have about 25 cubic feet of it. It has all been used once before, and its cut with 30% chunky perlite. I am reading these recipes and they all seem like they are for brand new bags, that being said around how much more would I add (ie 2x 3x 4x?) since the soil has all been used and flushed for two weeks. Thanks for any input you guys have!

It's my understanding that a simple method for reusing soil is to just use hygrozyme (or equivalent) to break down root matter left in the soil. From there just re-amend and go. I have not done this yet, but money is a little tight, so I'll be doing the right thing and reusing my soil for my next run.

I used Subcool's recipe and method on my last run with excellent results. I'm now experimenting with the following:

1.5 CF of Root Organic Soil
2 Tablespoon of cap's nute pack
1 gallon of grow stones
half cup of insect frass
5 gallons of worm castings

Then I'll scratch in Roots Uprising Bloom mix and water it in with compost teas (caps nute and root pack) and sea green. Try to make my teas a full spectrum of fungi and bacteria, and supplement with guanos during flower. Currently, my plants look excellent.

I will add that if you are taking an organic approach and not including microbes in your feed schedule, your missing a critical element of organic soil gardening.

Great discussion!

outwest

LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

Thanks man!!! I will be brewing a tea tonight to enaculate the soil with. I have all 3 of caps packs, and a-1 supplements. So I will be bringing that microbal life for sure!!! Thanks man Im just worried about making the soil to hot.

Wbwidow

Wbwidow

Thanks for all the lovely tips. I will be sure to start mixing my own organic mix.

Does anyone use pro mix bx with myco as a base? I find this to be fairly priced and a lot of it compared to the ffof and roots.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Thanks for all the lovely tips. I will be sure to start mixing my own organic mix.

Does anyone use pro mix bx with myco as a base? I find this to be fairly priced and a lot of it compared to the ffof and roots.

I think pro mix is soilless and not soil, so not sure if it would be used in this fashion. However I do have one tester that is in 50/50 coir/hydroton and I'm feeding it teas only with a little scratch in top feed. It looks great!

outwest

Wbwidow

Wbwidow

Agh yes the pro mix is soiless lol.. So do you think coco would be a better choice than using promix? I've had a good run with botanicare cocogro and bad exp with the cheap gh brand.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I use roots organic soil and LOVE it as a foundation. I can get it locally for $11 a bag.

outwest

Wbwidow

Wbwidow

Yeah for me tag on 20 more bucks. Ffof, roots organic 1.5 bag goes for 29.99. I think I'll grab a bag of both and son othe stuff..

Mogrow

Mogrow

LordDank/// get you some compost , EWC, some sorta animal manure if it wasn't real hot before, some dolomite lime is always good, some trace minerals like azomite. go heavy with the calcium, don't think we use enough of it. use different types like, oyster shells, bone meal, feather meal and of course dolomite. heat that shit up and let her cook for a bit. last time i made some soil it was hot in the middle not warm, hot. didn't expiernce the heat when i amneded the soil cause i didn't use as much nitrogen..
mixing and amending soil is great, feed your soil and the plant has everything it needs right in the soil.

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
any one use paramagnetic rock ??..some one was telling me that it doesnt even have to b in the soil, it can just b in the room and work o_O..like some earth mojo for your grow :confused:

Top Bottom