Post your Organic Soil Mix

• Thread starter justiceman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

slap14

Here's my "sooper simple" soil mix that has done wonders for my crops. I feed with chlorine free h20 only throughout veg and then add + molasses + Aurora Innovations HPK bloom booster weeks 3-7 of flower.

1 bag Fox Farm Happy Frog (2 Cu Ft)
1 bag Sunshine 4 or Pro Mix HP (3.8 Cu Ft)
¼ bag Fox Farm Big and Chunky perlite (1 Cu Ft)
5 cups pure EWC
1.5 cup soybean meal
1.5 cup fish bone meal
1.5 cup greensand
1.5 cup powdered humic acid
1 cup kelp meal
½ cup azomite

I used this mix to grow these:

Blackwater

View attachment 265412

ReCon

View attachment 265413

View attachment 265414

Sour OG

View attachment 265415

View attachment 265416

Looks beautiful Bill, love the look, smell and taste of organic meds.

masshole61

masshole61

Thanks for the response, slap. Looked back at your recipe and Saw you use something you called bulb food. Could you tell me who makes it, what is it and how it benefits your mix?
This summer I became a huge fan of teas and molasses. With the teas it seems that no matter what you throw at them they love it. I stuck with EWC, molasses and caps bennies for tea. If anything I was a little over zealous with the tea and molasses and fucked up my fade.... Live and learn.
Could you list your tea schedule? Also everyone has a preference for a base soil. Seems the consensus seems to be roots organic. But no one says much about the best commercial EWC. Besides making your own ( seems like more work than I have time for) which EWC do you use?

S

slap14

hey mass, the bulb food is from Happy Frog or Peace of Mind. It is a 3-8-8 and i mix it globally in small amounts. Good Calcium with higher levels of P and K and a little N. It's just a great ratio to keep the fungi happy as the P ration is not too high. It seems to be very slow release so thats a good thing.

I don't make my own castings yet as i just started making my own compost. I use Roots organic castings and i also use wiggle worm both seem fine. I use Teas in flower about 2 to 3 times a month as I water every 4th or 5th day. One of my favorite flowering teas is from The Rev

Based on two gallons of water that will be added to two more gallons of water when done

2 TBS molasses
40 drops CaMg+ general organics
2 TBS kelp meal/feather meal special mix
2 TSP High N Guano
2 TSP High P Guano
2 TSP Organic Liquid Fish
1/2 CUP Big Bloom - Fox Farms - All Organic
2 TBS of All Purpose Fertilizer - Organic EB Stone or Happy Frog

Bubble for 24 Hrs

Add 1 Cup Worm Casting
Add 1 Cup Compost

Bubble for 24 more Hrs

Strain with coarse strainer and add the extra 2 gallons of water and your set.
oh yea stir, stir and stir as your using.

I will use this up till week six or so on a 9 week strain.

Slap

J

jak

Here's my "sooper simple" soil mix that has done wonders for my crops. I feed with chlorine free h20 only throughout veg and then add + molasses + Aurora Innovations HPK bloom booster weeks 3-7 of flower.

1 bag Fox Farm Happy Frog (2 Cu Ft)
1 bag Sunshine 4 or Pro Mix HP (3.8 Cu Ft)
¼ bag Fox Farm Big and Chunky perlite (1 Cu Ft)
5 cups pure EWC
1.5 cup soybean meal
1.5 cup fish bone meal
1.5 cup greensand
1.5 cup powdered humic acid
1 cup kelp meal
½ cup azomite

Bill, do you use this mix straight up or buffer it? I'm considering using it in conjunction with slap's tea recipe. Also how long do you brew for?

Patanjali

Patanjali

I'm pretty new to super soils, so please feel free to give opinions. I've made about 6 batches now tweaking it each time. Imho I feel it needs to sit at least 60 days, and my last batch has been sitting since june - I'll be using some soon.

1 bag Fox Farm Ocean Forest
1/3 bag Light Warrior
1 gallon Vermicompost
1 gallon chunky perlite
1 gallon earthworm castings
1 gallon canna coco coir
1/4 gallon Alaskan humus
1/2c blood meal
1.5c fish bone meal
1c kelp meal
1c Azomite
1c rock sulfate
1.5c lime
1/2c alfalfa meal
1/4 crab meal
1/4c neem meal
2 tsp great white

I usually fill 1/4 to 1/3 of my final flower pot with this the rest some kind of soilless mix. Another good helping of great white in the pot.

Ty!

S

slap14

I'm pretty new to super soils, so please feel free to give opinions. I've made about 6 batches now tweaking it each time. Imho I feel it needs to sit at least 60 days, and my last batch has been sitting since june - I'll be using some soon.

1/3 bag Light Warrior
1 gallon Vermicompost
1 gallon chunky perlite
1 gallon canna coco coir
1/4 gallon Alaskan humus
1/2c blood meal
1.5c fish bone meal
1c kelp meal
1c Azomite
1c rock sulfate
1.5c lime
1/2c alfalfa meal
1/4 crab meal
1/4c neem meal
2 tsp great white

I usually fill 1/4 to 1/3 of my final flower pot with this the rest some kind of soilless mix. Another good helping of great white in the pot.

Ty!

Looks all good Ty. The only things I might change is add a little high N guano(Bird or Bat). Then something high in calcium like oyster shell or oyster shell meal to help the lime with the PH.

I also use Great White but I only add when transplanting and then when watering after about three weeks later, but that is all preference. Nice Mix should produce some beautiful ladies.

Slap

Patanjali

Patanjali

Looks all good Ty. The only things I might change is add a little high N guano(Bird or Bat). Then something high in calcium like oyster shell or oyster shell meal to help the lime with the PH.

I also use Great White but I only add when transplanting and then when watering after about three weeks later, but that is all preference. Nice Mix should produce some beautiful ladies.

Slap
Thanks Slap! I noticed another recipe or two that had oyster shell. I figured it would help out with the PH and calcium. I'll probably add a little of that in the next batch. I had tried doing some teas, but I consistently was messing them up. I have been experimenting with a light supersoil, and then watering in with light botanicare. This seemed to work pretty good. I am getting back into the teas, I just have to remind myself to use a test plant and not do the whole garden with an unknown! lol. I love that this site has an organic soil section! If nothing else, I just super enjoy making super soils! :)

daliwarpaint

daliwarpaint

Yo Slap do you let you mix sit before you use it if so how long nice work btw

S

slap14

Yo Slap do you let you mix sit before you use it if so how long nice work btw

Yes for sure let it cook for at least 45 days. I store in 44 gallon trash cans and dump it out and stir it up once a week for the first three weeks. It is rather hot but after cooking have not as of yet burned any plants. Works great with teas and if in large enough containers will get through a complete grow with nothing but water and teas.

Slap

Sinner D

Sinner D

So far I've done great with Happy Frog Jump Start for seeds, and Happy Frog's regular potting soil for growing the rest of the process. It's fantastic soil, and it comes with so much already added to it that I'm having a hard time getting straight answers from the sales rep's at my local hydro stores. This soil already has so much good stuff in it, that I've been told that adding too many nutrients, or the wrong kind, would be either a waste of money, or it would create nutrient lock. So, I'm here to get some suggestions as to what would be a good nutrient regimen to use with this soil (Happy Frog, potting soil). One fella at a hydro store told me I should use Foxfarms nutrients for Foxfarms brand soil, which makes sense. But another store's rep told me that Foxfarms nutrients are not that good and not a good seller for him at all. What to do, What to get!?

d420dool

d420dool

oyster shell kicks ass but my favorite ingredient for a good tlo soil is epsoma brand bio-tone all purpose 5-3-3...look it up if u never heard of it its great!!

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

oyster shell maybe similar to diatameceaous earth or however you spell it and that sheds up crawlers

1/3 bag Light Warrior
1 gallon Vermicompost
1 gallon chunky perlite
1 gallon canna coco coir
1/4 gallon Alaskan humus
1/2c blood meal
1.5c fish bone meal
1c kelp meal
1c Azomite
1c rock sulfate
1.5c lime
1/2c alfalfa meal
1/4 crab meal
1/4c neem meal
2 tsp great white

Ty!
Hey hows it going i was hoping you could kick me down some knowledge on how you finish composting your super soil and how you check if its ready i been experimenting with some incredible products until i sharpen my own compost skills.....about a day after mixing my amendments to my old soil i let sit and right away theres fuzzy white stuff growing on surface!!!
I use Soil Secrets....not soil secret thats from PA Soil Secrets is from NM

Patanjali

Patanjali

oyster shell maybe similar to diatameceaous earth or however you spell it and that sheds up crawlers

Hey hows it going i was hoping you could kick me down some knowledge on how you finish composting your super soil and how you check if its ready i been experimenting with some incredible products until i sharpen my own compost skills.....about a day after mixing my amendments to my old soil i let sit and right away theres fuzzy white stuff growing on surface!!!
I use Soil Secrets....not soil secret thats from PA Soil Secrets is from NM

Fuzzy stuff growing on top is a mold/fungus/bacteria of some kind. But after one day? I'm not really sure what to tell you? If you have not used it on your plants yet, I would be careful. I really don't think there should be anything growing in it like that. How does it smell? And what is the water content like? What are you storing it in, and where?

I mix all my ingredients dry, and then I layer it into rubbermaid containers. I very lightly mix in some water. If I'm being patient I'll even use a pump sprayer. But I'm guessing like 1/2 gallon of water per about 1.5 cu ft of mix. Maybe a little more. The soil should not be "soaking wet". I might let it sit like that for a few weeks in the containers, taking care to let it vent a little after first mixing it because it will condensate. I also like to remix it every few weeks just to make sure everything is breaking down correctly.

Let me know if any of that doesn't make sense! I have since changed up my mix. I need to post up the updated recipe.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Oyster shell is mostly calcium carbonate. Diatomaceous earth is mostly silica. Not the same, only come from the ocean at one time, that's it.

Fuzzy white stuff is likely fungus, aka mold, and isn't that what you're trying to culture?
I hope it's beneficial lol guess I find out when the temp drops and I through a cutting in there

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think that since you've inoculated and have worked this soil using the food web microbes, it's much more likely that that's what is growing on there than anything else. :) If it's hot and you see that white stuff, then it's still actively decomposing and you know that since you mention waiting for the temperature drop before using it.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Fuzzy stuff growing on top is a mold/fungus/bacteria of some kind. But after one day? I'm not really sure what to tell you? If you have not used it on your plants yet, I would be careful. I really don't think there should be anything growing in it like that. How does it smell? And what is the water content like? What are you storing it in, and where?

I mix all my ingredients dry, and then I layer it into rubbermaid containers. I very lightly mix in some water. If I'm being patient I'll even use a pump sprayer. But I'm guessing like 1/2 gallon of water per about 1.5 cu ft of mix. Maybe a little more. The soil should not be "soaking wet". I might let it sit like that for a few weeks in the containers, taking care to let it vent a little after first mixing it because it will condensate. I also like to remix it every few weeks just to make sure everything is breaking down correctly.

Let me know if any of that doesn't make sense! I have since changed up my mix. I need to post up the updated recipe.
Smells like good soil ill take a pic of it next time cuz I mixed that fungus in with the rest so it's earth magic protein crumbles TTP compost and Earh worm castingix in recycled soil from TLO tea grow....stored in 20gal. Trash can in closet without lid and watered similar to yours damp not soaked with sprayer and I would say there is 20 to 30 % perlite 10 to 15% vermiculite 50 %coco and the rest peat moss

Top Bottom