Post your Organic Soil Mix

• Thread starter justiceman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Homesteader

Homesteader

I would think a nursery should be able to help and def a feed store with at least some things. Fedco is out of Maine fyi so shipping to the west may not make much sense unless you need black Oxford scion.

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What type of store would I find gypsum,azomite and rock dust? I kno it's not at my hydro store
Agricultural/farming supply. Or, order online via Peaceful Valley Farm Supply (much more expensive option). Since you're in Canadia I would start with farm/agricultural supply. The gypsum is sold very cheaply in 50lb bags, the rock dust may be a little more difficult but you could contact quarries. Azomite can be replaced with kelp, or what I've moved to is a combination of Azomite and Sea-90 to provide the micronutrients.

keiksweat

keiksweat

Agricultural/farming supply. Or, order online via Peaceful Valley Farm Supply (much more expensive option). Since you're in Canadia I would start with farm/agricultural supply. The gypsum is sold very cheaply in 50lb bags, the rock dust may be a little more difficult but you could contact quarries. Azomite can be replaced with kelp, or what I've moved to is a combination of Azomite and Sea-90 to provide the micronutrients.
I've got the same probs over here in the UK,loads of over priced salts,no meals or organic additives.garden centre stocks your usual lime,fish,blood and bone,bit of liquid seaweed,kelp.but azomite,glacial rock,crustaceans forget about it....as tony soprano would say.

Eschaton

Eschaton

Keeping it fairly simple - My No Till soil build for 9 CF of soil

Soilbuild

3 cf Peat
3 cf Compost (3cf - a combo of Bu's Malibu and Uncle Jim's EWC)
3 cf Pumice & Rice Hulls
1/2 cf of Ancient Forest (since I had some lying around)
27 cups of total of a Basalt, Gypsum and Oyster Flour mix form B.A.S
1 cup of Mountain forest soil from the National Forest
13 1/2 cups Kelp Meal
13 1/2 cups Coruscation Meal
13 1/2 cups Neem Cake
2 cups of Insect Frass

20160507 153430

Watered the pile with compost tea of EWC, molasses and some deep forest dirt from a hike in the mountains) bubbled for 48 hrs in the air lift brewer I knocked together.
20160510 155307

The Pile was warm the next morning and almost hot by the evening.

The second watering was with a couple ounces of EM-1. I turned the pile every few days at which point I've thrown just under half of it into two 15 gallon smart pots, with the rest going back into the original bags everything came in. I've discovered that having 9 CF of soil cooking in the living room of your 1 bedroom apartment is only tolerable for about a week. I have some beneficial nematodes on the way.
20160515 184550

It was messy and time consuming but I should be right for soil for quite some time.
20160517 171602

A Golden Strawberry enjoying her new home. She's responded very well to the transplant.

Al-53

Al-53

My soil consists of organic horse compost...I got 20 yards of it....the guy even gives you the sheet when its tested from UMass...he lets it rot 2 years before he sells it...and turns it weekly with his back hoe...I pay 15$ a yard...I farm in raised beds that are 12 inches high and 30 feet long..I have 3 of them plus a green house. i fill the beds half way...then i add lime and crushed oyster shells and crab meal...also azomite..kelp meal...bone meal..alfalfa meal...and 10 pounds of epsoma bio start...and EWC even tho it does not need it as when it comes its loaded in worms..I mean loaded...I then fill top with more compost...i have a electric tiller that tills 10 inches deep...i till it all and water and let it cook a few weeks then plant...this stuff can grow plants big time...I also use it to grow veggies in dirt bags...my tomatoes were close to 9 feet high loaded in fruits...great eggplants and peppers also...its cheap and very effective...

P

phrank monklin

how man
Y how many litres in them bales?seems a lot of lime.

198.2 liters.
Mix well, moisten, and age for around a month before using. Must stay moist (not wet) for the entire time that it is being aged.
Intended only for "mature" plants.
Dilute with plain Pro-Mix for young plants.
Requires only water, no additional ferts needed.

Last edited:
Homesteader

Homesteader

I believe you could probably cut the lime in half and have the same results. Just reading about heavy metals earlier and how mined Phosphorus and lime are generally the sources of arsenic. Just food for thought Phrank! Good soil mix though and results

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

The caps packs look awesome but they seem really expensive. I'm sure a little goes a long ways but I can see going through the 4oz container quickly with new soil and a few compost teas. So far, going organic has seemed relatively inexpensive but this could be a bigger ongoing expense :-/

And I didn't see Black Gold at HD or Lowes, but Ace had the BG garden compost and I think seed starter mix too.

What people do not realize is one can go to lowes or HD or pretty much anywhere and pick up organic septic organisms which has enzymes and benificial bacteria by the trillions 4 liter pail goes long way adding 1 - 2 table spoons weekly
why bother buying bennie packs at out rages prices when 30 bucks will do the same dam thing :) 
  • A blend of essential soil microbes, 39.8-54.6 billion cfu/gallon (200 million cfu/ml)
to give everyone a idea
  • A blend of essential soil microbes, 39.8-54.6 billion cfu/gallon (200 million cfu/ml)
https://byogon.com/organic-septic-tank-treatment/

Homesteader

Homesteader

While I would think the microbes you buy for septic would benefit you more than nothing, the innoculate I use has nine species of Endomycorrhizae and ten of soil bacteria. While there is always ways to cut corners, at least in my opinion, you get what you pay for down the line.

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

By far the best soil is a 50 / 50 mix of actual completed compost and sterilized top soil no need or beanies , teas once like 24 hr clock carbon cycle works the same you have microbes that start the composition process they die off and another microbe takes over and so on
what good really is adding microbes to a soil that is depleted of organic matter they have no food to survive
to begin with other then the depleted levels of N in your spent soil
this is the problem were seeing over n over
people making teas thinking there helping the microbes when in fact there not they need to add organic matter to re enrich
Like the saying Goes you build they will come
Seriously speaking no need to add beanies or teas if you have perfect carbon cycle going
Teas are a activator really used to activate or help start the decomposition process in many cases or grows teas are actually feeding the plants directly
Now the best alternative to a perfect soil is adding mulches be it either compost , grass
this helps keep soils moist ,and microbes very active and a nice slow leach into the soil enriching it

The problem today is most people when making a soil go at it blindly they read up on some super soil recipe and start adding anything and everything when it was right in front of you all the time no need for it people adding dolomite lime or gypsum not knowing that actual percentage 90 percent of the time there is to much magnesium in there soil ..
the best super soil out there is using your own compost and sterilized top soil add fall leaf
problem is people are in to much of a hurry its planning really it takes time for things to work see with microbes dieing off and new ones forming this is what effects ph in soils when people jump the gun
there ph is high but what happens cause they added ph down material is there effecting the carbon cycle so when the in later stages of the carbon cycle starts the ph is out of wack
and people chasing the soil ..

Best soil recipe

1 start a worm bin i started one like 6 months ago now i have easy million worms and eggs and 5 worm farms going
2 Save fall leafs go to a park and rake under some trees you can have 40 bags in no time
2 start a compost bin fill it 1/4 full sterilized top soil 60 bucks for 1 cubic yard cheap and that is lots remember 1 cubic yard of compost = will give you like 530 gallons of super soil :) is that enough lol
3 start adding home greens organic waste peels coffee grinds etc stir weekly keep moist grass clippings etc meanwhile every couple weeks add some sterilized soil
Make a tea to activate everything then look out now this is where ph is unstable it takes approx month to 8 weeks before everything becomes stable and ready to use pending on temps moisture levels

This alone will kill any super soil recipe out there why because it was free
there is no need to get it tested and why because plants show no deficiencies or any issues its healthy from top to bottom
as for insects ??? again being 100 percent no man made ingredients added 0 insect damage and no insecticide spray
as for being drought resistant this plant only gets rain water from the sky 9 day drought she has had with no ill effects
See the benefits
try not giving a super soil plant water for 10 days see what happens bet ?? she is folded over
Thats the difference between 100 percent organic vs amended organic super soils and that is you will find insect issues drought issues if not watered and most importantly soil never makes it to the end Hence Teas and beanies

As for my out door girl being she is a 1 - 2 weeks from flipping naturally is i added 20 gallons of completed compost trying something new this year normally it takes it to the end no problem that is 7 months out door rain water only from the sky

PS: this is how i grow and do very well no need for half the crap people put in there amendments your throwing your money away think of it like advertising there doing a great job pushing all these products making it sound like its needed when its not
IMG4404
IMG4409
IMG4410
IMG4511
IMG4499
IMG3556

Topofthecrop

Topofthecrop

Super Soil
1 Bale Pro Mix or Sunshine Mix
30 lbs Worm Casts
4 Cups Blood Meal
8 Cups Steamed Fish Bone Meal
4 Cups Kelp Meal
3 Cups pulverized Dolomite Lime
1 Cup Epsom Salts
You just use tap water all the way through? Or RO? Or do you top dress with anything else to help through after stretch or just water? Do you add bennies?

Underthesun

Underthesun

By far the best soil is a 50 / 50 mix of actual completed compost and sterilized top soil no need or beanies , teas once like 24 hr clock carbon cycle works the same you have microbes that start the composition process they die off and another microbe takes over and so on
what good really is adding microbes to a soil that is depleted of organic matter they have no food to survive
to begin with other then the depleted levels of N in your spent soil
this is the problem were seeing over n over
people making teas thinking there helping the microbes when in fact there not they need to add organic matter to re enrich
Like the saying Goes you build they will come
Seriously speaking no need to add beanies or teas if you have perfect carbon cycle going
Teas are a activator really used to activate or help start the decomposition process in many cases or grows teas are actually feeding the plants directly
Now the best alternative to a perfect soil is adding mulches be it either compost , grass
this helps keep soils moist ,and microbes very active and a nice slow leach into the soil enriching it

The problem today is most people when making a soil go at it blindly they read up on some super soil recipe and start adding anything and everything when it was right in front of you all the time no need for it people adding dolomite lime or gypsum not knowing that actual percentage 90 percent of the time there is to much magnesium in there soil ..
the best super soil out there is using your own compost and sterilized top soil add fall leaf
problem is people are in to much of a hurry its planning really it takes time for things to work see with microbes dieing off and new ones forming this is what effects ph in soils when people jump the gun
there ph is high but what happens cause they added ph down material is there effecting the carbon cycle so when the in later stages of the carbon cycle starts the ph is out of wack
and people chasing the soil ..

Best soil recipe

1 start a worm bin i started one like 6 months ago now i have easy million worms and eggs and 5 worm farms going
2 Save fall leafs go to a park and rake under some trees you can have 40 bags in no time
2 start a compost bin fill it 1/4 full sterilized top soil 60 bucks for 1 cubic yard cheap and that is lots remember 1 cubic yard of compost = will give you like 530 gallons of super soil :) is that enough lol
3 start adding home greens organic waste peels coffee grinds etc stir weekly keep moist grass clippings etc meanwhile every couple weeks add some sterilized soil
Make a tea to activate everything then look out now this is where ph is unstable it takes approx month to 8 weeks before everything becomes stable and ready to use pending on temps moisture levels

This alone will kill any super soil recipe out there why because it was free
there is no need to get it tested and why because plants show no deficiencies or any issues its healthy from top to bottom
as for insects ??? again being 100 percent no man made ingredients added 0 insect damage and no insecticide spray
as for being drought resistant this plant only gets rain water from the sky 9 day drought she has had with no ill effects
See the benefits
try not giving a super soil plant water for 10 days see what happens bet ?? she is folded over
Thats the difference between 100 percent organic vs amended organic super soils and that is you will find insect issues drought issues if not watered and most importantly soil never makes it to the end Hence Teas and beanies

As for my out door girl being she is a 1 - 2 weeks from flipping naturally is i added 20 gallons of completed compost trying something new this year normally it takes it to the end no problem that is 7 months out door rain water only from the sky

PS: this is how i grow and do very well no need for half the crap people put in there amendments your throwing your money away think of it like advertising there doing a great job pushing all these products making it sound like its needed when its not View attachment 627473 View attachment 627474 View attachment 627475 View attachment 627476 View attachment 627477 View attachment 627478
Purpletrain, you may have won the award for posting the same picture on as many threads as possible, lol.

P

phrank monklin

You just use tap water all the way through? Or RO? Or do you top dress with anything else to help through after stretch or just water? Do you add bennies?

I use RO water. Nope, nothing else needed, although I have experimented with two feedings of powdered BudSwell. I did not notice any difference in the final outcome. FWIW, I have been using Sunshine Mix as of late because it's what's easiest to come by at the moment. Also, I forgot to mention that I often supplement the mix with a bag of perlite to offset the worm casts, which tend to make the mix a bit too heavy.

Thanks to those who commented on my post. In general, I am striving to both simplify and improve this mix. For example, I am not 100% sure that I need blood meal, as the steamed fish bone meal contains a fair amount of nitrogen. In any case, somebody mentioned that I may be using too much lime, and that very well could be the case given that Pro-Mix is already limed. Another consideration raised by the same individual is that lime may be high in heavy metals. I am not saying that they're wrong, but I have not found any data suggesting that this is the case. Any such info would be greatly appreciated. The State of Washington hosts an excellent database in regards to this subject. I find it fascinating that different brands of the same ingredient, take kelp for example, contain very different levels of heavy metals. I was pleased to find out that the brand I favor, (Epsoma), tests favorably.

BTW, "my" mix is just my spin on the Vic High / BCGA mix. I know that SubCool has riffed on this mix too, although he has proceeded in the direction of greater complexity. I have no idea which approach is superior...lol

I think that Purpletrain might be on to something with his septic system microbes. They are OMRI certified, and check out this quote from the Byo-Gon webpage:

"In addition to its remarkable ability to treat septic systems and clean drains throughout the home, Byo-Gon PX-109® Organic is a powerful and safe stimulant for the home garden composter. The organic solution speeds the process of composting, which makes the home compost pile more efficient and increases the benefits to the home gardener."

I may have to add a bit of this into my organic equation...

I also love Purpletrain's soil building methods, although they would be difficult in my situation, as I am an urban/apartment dweller. And finally, I did not know that an EC meter could be used to gauge the "potency" of an organic mix. Thanks for that!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom